Metal Storm logo
Post-stonersludge Fun

the "genres" of stoner metal, sludge, and post-metal all seem to bleed/flow together at various times so playing metal bartender, i've cooked up this list of albums those interested in the genres can use as suggestions/starting points. this is just a basic primer with 25 albums... not a definitive list by any stretch. just albums i love. some are landmark releases that helped define the genre... while others are recent releases from cool bands that MS/labels have helped me uncover. Enjoy.

(not in any specific order!)

Created by: BitterCOld | 27.09.2011

1. Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops
Pogo-approved vileness
2. Baroness - Blue Record
sludge-lite with lots of 70's rock
3. Down - Nola
Anselmo's Nawlins stoned side project
4. High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
"I love this album!" - Matt Pike's missing shirt
5. Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun
stoner doom from the "high" desert
6. Corrosion Of Conformity - In The Arms Of God
hard-core turned southern stoner rawk
7. Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain
pot-fueled Sabbath worship jams
8. Sleestak - The Fall Of Altrusia
stonerdoom jams from beyond the pylon
9. Shrinebuilder - Shrinebuilder
sludgey supergroup
10. Kylesa - Time Will Fuse Its Worth
where tension - and aggression - unfolds
11. A Storm Of Light - As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade
as the valley of post becomes us, our stoned memories blaze
12. Year Of No Light - Ausserwelt
post-cure metal
13. Ufomammut - Eve
fuzzed out Italian jams
14. Torche - Meanderthal
sugary thunderpop fun
15. Buzzov?en - ...At A Loss
you will hate this album. it hates you.
16. Ortega - 1634
nederlander nautic stonersludgedoom
17. Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood
crushing landmark
18. Minsk - The Ritual Fires Of Abandonment
spacious trippy post-sludge
19. Eibon - Entering Darkness
blackened sludgedoom
20. Dukatalon - Saved By Fear
RUN! riffs!
21. 5ive - 5ive
5antastic post-instrumental
22. Rising - To Solemn Ash
copenhagen sludgenriffen
23. Eyehategod - Take As Needed For Pain
... won't fix your pain, though
24. Tombs - Fear Is The Weapon
blackened urban sludge
25. Mastodon - Leviathan
White! Whale! Holy! Grail!

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by BitterCOld ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 31   Visited by: 207 users
27.09.2011 - 18:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Really cool list Craig although I disagree (quite strongly) with one album in particular.
When the Kite String Pops >>>>>>>>>> Paegan Terrorism Tactics
Both in quality and importance for the genre... But that's just a minor detail compared to the whole picture of the list.
Also, Pogo didn't make the painting from PTT.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.09.2011 - 18:58
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.09.2011 at 18:53

Really cool list Craig although I disagree (quite strongly) with one album in particular.
When the Kite String Pops >>>>>>>>>> Paegan Terrorism Tactics
Both in quality and importance for the genre... But that's just a minor detail compared to the whole picture of the list.
Also, Pogo didn't make the painting from PTT.

lol. i got the two switched. i had PTT on when i had meant WTKSP. importance wasn't the issue for this, just preference.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.09.2011 - 19:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 27.09.2011 at 18:58

lol. i got the two switched. i had PTT on when i had meant WTKSP. importance wasn't the issue for this, just preference.

Oh I see. I do like PTT a lot as well but the guitars sound way too thin while their debut had this extremely thick and "holy shit this album is disturbing" sound the whole time. Also PTT is a bit "happy" compared to WTKSP. But yeah, one of the better list around here... and THANK YOU for not making a list of 50+ albums... I think it takes a lot of the credibility away if a list of the "best fo a genre" has so many albums.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.09.2011 - 19:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I'll probably do another for doom and maybe black... 25 albums mixing landmarks with less well known albums i really like. just sort of a launchpad for suggestions.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.09.2011 - 20:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Thanks for this list. Really good help now that I'm getting into sludge.

I'm really loving Kylesa's "Time Will Fuse Its Worth" lately.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.09.2011 - 20:09
JD
Account deleted
Why changing the "Paegan Terrorism Tactics"!? -_- but then again "WTKSP" is good as "PTT", good list btw.
27.09.2011 - 20:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 27.09.2011 at 20:09

Why changing the "Paegan Terrorism Tactics"!? -_- but then again "WTKSP" is good as "PTT", good list btw.

that was my original intent, as you could see by the Pogo comment. i love both, though.
----

27.09.2011 - 20:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 27.09.2011 at 20:11

that was my original intent, as you could see by the Pogo comment. i love both, though.

Since the picture for the Acid Bath album is tiny... I like to think that I'm actually seeing Pogo giving the thumbs up in that artwork.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.09.2011 - 02:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Damn, I realize I actually saw 16 of those bands live and it will hopefully become 17 if I manage to get hold of a Roadburn 2012 ticket.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.09.2011 - 05:30
afu
Great list. I think Monster Magnet should be on the list, but I am extremely biased towards them. Spine Of God or Dopes To Infinity are classics in my view.
29.09.2011 - 00:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.09.2011 at 02:48

...... Roadburn 2017 ticket.

WHAT !

Really great list dude, truly the best and the most revolutionary
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
29.09.2011 - 10:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by InnerSelf on 29.09.2011 at 00:51

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.09.2011 at 02:48

...... Roadburn 2017 ticket.

WHAT !

Really great list dude, truly the best and the most revolutionary

weird typo. I meant 2012 of course.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2011 - 19:02
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Good job! But I can't believe no Neurosis or at least THE defining post metal album: Rosetta - The Galilean Satallites
----
rekt
06.10.2011 - 19:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by tea[m]ster on 06.10.2011 at 19:02

Good job! But I can't believe no Neurosis

Through Silver In Blood was on the list... the funny thing is I popped it in at 17 - I wasn't ranking in any order, but Ortega posted up the list on their Facebook page and remarked about being ahead of Neurosis and Mastadon. that's why i added the disclaimer after the fact.
----

13.10.2011 - 19:03
Amo del Merol
Good List !!!
20.10.2011 - 09:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Quote:
Down - NOLA

I thought Down was Anselmos #1 band now, no longer just a side-project?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.10.2011 - 19:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Doc G. on 20.10.2011 at 09:06

Quote:
Down - NOLA

I thought Down was Anselmos #1 band now, no longer just a side-project?

i name dropped him as his name carries the most weight for those with general metal knowledge. it might be his primary project now, but i still think of it as a side project given the fact it started as such for him and the other members have all remained active with their original bands.
----

07.12.2011 - 03:48
Lokaeda
Account deleted
+1

here are some bands I also like: Grand Magus (the first album in particular), Sons Of Otis, Dark Buddha Rising, Eternal Elysium, Cosmic Vishnu, Lonely Kamel, The Bottle Doom Lazy Band, ... Some of them are maybe more "doom" than "stoner/sludge", but still worth checking out
07.12.2011 - 05:33
Susan
Smeghead
elite
I'm using this as a study guide.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
07.12.2011 - 13:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Susan on 07.12.2011 at 05:33

I'm using this as a study guide.

You won't regret it, trust me.
This is list is fucking tight... Two of my nine 10s are right here: Acid Bath and Neurosis. Kyuss wouldn't count as I gave a 10 to their self-titled.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.12.2011 - 17:05
fabregassed
Account deleted
@bittercold. Did it take you a long time to get into "Through Silver In Blood"? I'm pretty new to post-metal, but I find Neurosis more influential than interesting at the moment.
07.12.2011 - 21:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 07.12.2011 at 17:05
@bittercold. Did it take you a long time to get into "Through Silver In Blood"? I'm pretty new to post-metal, but I find Neurosis more influential than interesting at the moment.

I think in general most "post-stonersludge" is easier to get into nowadays as it's taken a bit of a "lighter" foot forward. Similar to comparing "blackgaze" with atmospheric black metal. It's gone from challenging to almost "easy".

If you're having trouble with Neurosis, ride out the storm. They were obviously influential, and pioneer bands are always (er, not always, but a lot of the time) more difficult to get into since they weren't limiting themselves to any one specific sound or style, whereas modern bands that elaborate on the sound are quick to pick out bits and pieces of it and focus on that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.12.2011 - 03:47
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite

Neurosis are a pretty difficult band to get into, I think. The first times I listened to "Times Of Grace", it just left me like... wtf? Then I saw this video, listened to "Stones From The Sky" (you can check it on Neurosis' website), and it all started to make sense, I understood, felt it at last. Maybe the stimulus will be different for you, but once you get it, your music world won't ever be the same... And that's great!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.12.2011 - 04:30
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Darkside Momo on 14.12.2011 at 03:47

Neurosis are a pretty difficult band to get into, I think. The first times I listened to "Times Of Grace", it just left me like... wtf? Then I saw this video, listened to "Stones From The Sky" (you can check it on Neurosis' website), and it all started to make sense, I understood, felt it at last. Maybe the stimulus will be different for you, but once you get it, your music world won't ever be the same... And that's great!

Yessir. Even though they are ALWAYS mentioned as the pioneer of this "kind" of music I still have a hard time getting into them. Yet, this is my favorite genre and I know most of the bands I follow will give props to Neurosis...
----
rekt
16.01.2012 - 18:01
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Xcept Mastodon I've heard none on this. But I dig Dopesmoker. Its one of my fav metal releases.
25.02.2012 - 19:29
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted

Funny how tastes change... im totally in love with neurosis now.
29.04.2012 - 09:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 25.02.2012 at 19:29

Funny how tastes change... im totally in love with neurosis now.

i approve of this message.

TSIB isn't as hard to get into as DSMomomo's starting point... that one still sets me on edge for whatever reason.

supposedly a new album this year... been about a tool-wait since their last album.
----

02.05.2012 - 11:04
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Cool list, but its missing some Yob.
I would also say Torche's self titled instead of Meanderthal, but that's just me
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
17.05.2012 - 00:01
Lit.
Account deleted
^ I also wanna bring up Electric Wizard, The Sword, The Ocean and Queens Of The Stone Age.
18.05.2012 - 06:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Guest on 17.05.2012 at 00:01

^ I also wanna bring up Electric Wizard, The Sword, The Ocean and Queens Of The Stone Age.

I can rec Craig 100 other albums for this list too, all he has to do is ask
----
rekt

Hits total: 6511 | This month: 14