Band: Ganon
Album: In The Dead Of Sleep
Release date: 2006

01. Lifting Skies
02. Approach
03. Through Wires
04. It Speaks
05. The Calm Of Unlight

I received 4 albums from "Acerbic Noise Development" I've heard them all now; the first two were really good, then I was supposed to write a review for Verse And Radiation a good band playing Hardcore and that those things?but I'm weak, and Ganon was calling me, every single time I started writing the Verse And Radiation review, hundreds of words and ideas were circulating my brain while I was saying "damn it, that one would sound better in Ganon's review" so I lost in the end, and the incredible force of one of the most amazing bands in Post-Metal slapped me in the face and said "write MY review you dork"?

I'm not being overeager when I say "One of the most amazing bands in Post-Metal"; this genre has a huge hype nowadays, there are tons of bands trying to achieve what Neurosis, Pelican and Cult Of Luna did a couple of years ago. Finally one succeed, Ganon has their influence of course, but their music has enough unmarked and progressive elements in their mix to become a really original band. "In The Dead Of Sleep" is the most intense album from 2006, its strength goes beyond limits and creates an unimaginable atmosphere that wraps every cell in your brain like the most powerful drug you've tasted.

The structures of both the songs and the album are amazingly well managed. This record has a flowing length that never bores the listener; the songs, being extremely resourceful, have so many ascending changes, so many bridges and breakdowns that you won't feel the 9 or 14 minutes passing by. The songwriting is also marvelous; the fifth track ("The Calm Of Unlight") shows the enormous capabilities of these musicians, their execution is tight and really solid, their pattern changes uncontrollably and, even though this track lasts for 14 minutes, their vibe finally reaches the audience in a great way.

I just wish they would have improved their layout though (it's nothing but a sheet of paper with some info) reading lyrics is always a huge plus right? And I also wish they would have enhanced the production a little bit; but overall here's an album that you need to hear; who cares if Cult Of Luna released an album recently?try the underground sector that many times ( or at least this time) is way better than the pretentious and overused mainstream.

Best Tracks: "The Calm Of Unlight", "Lifting Skies"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 04.10.2006

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 14 users
06.10.2006 - 03:41
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
Herz... i don't mean to offend, but over the past few months i've noticed that you seem to give lots of albums high ratings (usually from an 8.4 to an 8.8)

So i was just wondering... do you only post up reviews of GOOD albums or are you just not very picky with your music?
06.10.2006 - 08:18
Herzebeth

Written by Guest on 06.10.2006 at 03:41

Herz... i don't mean to offend, but over the past few months i've noticed that you seem to give lots of albums high ratings (usually from an 8.4 to an 8.8)

So i was just wondering... do you only post up reviews of GOOD albums or are you just not very picky with your music?

No offence taken...well to answer your question I have 2 points.
#1. Here you can see some recent reviews without 8's or something...

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3283
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3318
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3315
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3317
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3268

There are some 6's there man..so I don't think I use high ratings..at least not for albums which do not deserve it...

#2. Ok...let's say I use high ratings...if I do that's only because I've been blessed with good albums coming in my mailbox everyday...in that case I can add as many 8's as I want indeed...how cool is to be a reviewer right? And let's also remember the rating system...if I want to put a general 7 I'd have to sacrifice the other features right?..in the end it's just an average of different grades cheers man...
----
08.10.2006 - 22:44
HardSide

"Post-Metal slapped me in the face and said "write MY review you dork"?

Lol with that opening alone, i should just get this album. But anyway I love Herz reviews, he truely knows what he likes, if it wasnt for him, id probably never heard of half the bands i have in my collection now. While on the subject you reviewed Circle of Dead Children, human harvest a 2003 release, now i noticed you didnt review their newest 2005 relese, Zero Comfort Margin...wanna know what your opinion is on it, reason i ask is because your human harvest review was dead on, just wanted to know your opinion on this album. Anyway thanks for the reviews.
09.10.2006 - 03:33
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
makes sense to me... thanks for the explanation!

Hits total: 6311 | This month: 7