Metal Storm logo
Experimental Hip hop

03.10.2011 - 10:21
whatsacow

In my lifelong quest to further my musical tastes, I stumbled upon an amazining band by the name of cLOUDDEAD. This is a hiphop/rap band that incorporates progressive and avant garde elements, such as long instrumental soundscapes, 8-13 minute songs and changing time signatures etc. Now I'm curious to see if there are other such bands out there, with the lyricality and beat of hiphop, but the experimentation and weirdness of the avant garde. Anyone know any?
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
03.10.2011 - 22:13
Don Martin
le fu-
Aha! Listen to Death Grips, it's like rap/punk/weirdness. They sample Black Flag and Link Wray and incorporate these really weird structures in their songs. Especially listen to the tracks Klink, Guillotine and Takyon (Death Yon). They also have creepy fucking video clips.
----
What a tackastrophe!
05.10.2011 - 19:04
whatsacow

Written by Don Martin on 03.10.2011 at 22:13

Aha! Listen to Death Grips, it's like rap/punk/weirdness. They sample Black Flag and Link Wray and incorporate these really weird structures in their songs. Especially listen to the tracks Klink, Guillotine and Takyon (Death Yon). They also have creepy fucking video clips.

Thanks, these guys are amazing. Im in love with Guillotine!
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
07.10.2011 - 00:18
zack_myld

Http://www.last.fm/music/d%25C3%25A4lek?ac=Dalek

This is the real stuff. Start with "Absence" album. I've seen them live and their sound is more aggressive and depressive than the blackest doomest brutalest metal band you can imagine.
27.11.2011 - 15:23
whatsacow

Written by zack_myld on 07.10.2011 at 00:18

Http://www.last.fm/music/d%25C3%25A4lek?ac=Dalek

This is the real stuff. Start with "Absence" album. I've seen them live and their sound is more aggressive and depressive than the blackest doomest brutalest metal band you can imagine.

Just checked them out... wow. That is awesome.
----
11.01.2016 - 00:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Does anyone know hip hop bands which don't have a guy singing in the very same gangsta deep voice like over 99% of the bands do?
And if it's a gril who is singing: Could she not sound like those american rappers (a la Black Eyed Peas, et al) which also try to sound gangsta in purpose?

Anything different than that?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
23.04.2017 - 16:03
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 11.01.2016 at 00:25

Does anyone know hip hop bands which don't have a guy singing in the very same gangsta deep voice like over 99% of the bands do?
And if it's a gril who is singing: Could she not sound like those american rappers (a la Black Eyed Peas, et al) which also try to sound gangsta in purpose?

Anything different than that?

Aesop Rock is a good one that doesn't have that deep voice. He's not as experimental as some other acts, but he is my favorite rapper.
10.05.2017 - 14:57
IronAngel

Written by Karlabos on 11.01.2016 at 00:25

Well you probably know her, Lauryn Hill is the queen of soul-inspired hip hop. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998) is one of the best albums in the genre. Snow Tha Product is also good, and for brainy, British millenial white girl rap, Kate Tempest is clever. Not sure what you mean by gansta exactly, though (and this is over a year late anyhow).
02.08.2017 - 18:07
Julius666

(the genre fused in is in the parentheses)
I don't know how Avant-garde this is, but
Death Grips (very industrial)
Everything MF DOOM: Madvillain, Danger Doom, Viktor Vaughn, King Geedorah, DOOM, KMD, JJ Doom, NehruvianDOOM (jazz and industrial)
Madlib aka. Quasimoto (jazz)
Kendrick Lamar's album named 'To Pimp A Butterfly' (jazz)
A Tribe Called Quest (jazz)
Aesop Rock (not really that Avant-garde except the music is very art-sy and high value)
Danny Brown (a little industrial)
The Roots (real RnB)
----
hipster kid