05. The Axe Of God
06. 5000 At The Funeral
07. Carved In The Wind
08. Varangian Paradise
09. Tribute Of Blood

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
Arguably the most original tech death combo, Gorod have returned with another five billion notes crammed into another - fourth to be more precise - outstanding 40-minute album. With a history of consistency like that, it is a puzzle why this French band remains relatively unknown while fans of the genre get unanimously excited when Obscura, Spawn of Possession, Psycroptic or The Faceless release a new album. Bad marketing probably? whatever, let us see what goodies Gorod are treating us to this time.

Read more ››
published 31.12.2012 | Comments (5)

Found in 37 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 57   Visited by: 785 users
03.10.2011 - 16:26
Rating: 8
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Wooooaaaahhshit ! Great news!
----
05.10.2011 - 20:37
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
So... long...to ...WAAAIT!
27.01.2012 - 10:46
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
The album "is based on the history of 10th century Kiev. More specifically, in the year 945 when Igor, King of Kiev was murdered (probably in a brutal manner) while collecting a "tribute" while visiting his Pagan neighbours the Derevlians, who lived in a forest. After the incident, his widow, Olga, avenged him in an extremely harsh manner before converting to Orthodox Christianity."

I am so proud and can't wait to listen to it!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.03.2012 - 12:39
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by K✞ulu on 27.01.2012 at 10:46

The album "is based on the history of 10th century Kiev. More specifically, in the year 945 when Igor, King of Kiev was murdered (probably in a brutal manner) while collecting a "tribute" while visiting his Pagan neighbours the Derevlians, who lived in a forest. After the incident, his widow, Olga, avenged him in an extremely harsh manner before converting to Orthodox Christianity."

The theme alone has grabbed my attention. Haven't heard Gorod before.
13.03.2012 - 15:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by R'Vannith on 13.03.2012 at 12:39

Written by K✞ulu on 27.01.2012 at 10:46

The theme alone has grabbed my attention. Haven't heard Gorod before.

What??? Noooo. You have to listen to their back catalog, even as a proghead.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

13.03.2012 - 15:38
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by K✞ulu on 13.03.2012 at 15:22

Is this album a good one to start at?
13.03.2012 - 15:41
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by R'Vannith on 13.03.2012 at 15:38

Written by K✞ulu on 13.03.2012 at 15:22

Is this album a good one to start at?

Not really, start with Leading Vision (2006). That one shows all their talent and style. Then see what they started with, Neurotripsicks (2005), which is also very good. Then go to Process of a New Decline (2009), which is more technical to the point where it sometimes too much. Transcendence (2011) is a brilliant EP (you can read my review of it and also of Leading Vision).
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

13.03.2012 - 15:45
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by K✞ulu on 13.03.2012 at 15:41

Not really, start with Leading Vision (2006). That one shows all their talent and style. Then see what they started with, Neurotripsicks (2005), which is also very good. Then go to Process of a New Decline (2009), which is more technical to the point where it sometimes too much. Transcendence (2011) is a brilliant EP (you can read my review of it and also of Leading Vision).

Will do, tech death is not something I'm that familiar with but there are a few albums I've heard from the genre which I like, that Beyond Creation album you reviewed is an example.
13.03.2012 - 16:37
Iskander

I've only listened to the album once... did i hear some flamenco-ish parts in one of the songs, or am i imagining things?

not quite sure yet what to think of the album... at the moment i really like it. will have to spin it a few times more before really being able to judge, though.
13.03.2012 - 17:43
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
After four listens I can say that I like this album, but I don't know just have much, but with each listen I seem to be liking it more and more.

Written by Iskander on 13.03.2012 at 16:37

did i hear some flamenco-ish parts in one of the songs, or am i imagining things?

you are not imagining things; you might also have noticed the funky parts as well.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

13.03.2012 - 19:09
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
A little bit bummed....what happened to their "groove"? Thats the fundamental element which set them aside from all the other masses of tech death bands. Theyve sacrificed it for aggression, hence gave up some of their uniqueness. Thats the one thing about "Process of a new decline" which stood out at me, the agression combined with the groove....pity.
13.03.2012 - 19:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.03.2012 at 19:09

A little bit bummed....what happened to their "groove"? Thats the fundamental element which set them aside from all the other masses of tech death bands. Theyve sacrificed it for aggression, hence gave up some of their uniqueness. Thats the one thing about "Process of a new decline" which stood out at me, the agression combined with the groove....pity.

If you ask me they lost exactly that on 'Process of a New Decline'. I haven't heard this but I'm guessing it's another capitulation to the modern sterile-death sound.
13.03.2012 - 19:53
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.03.2012 at 19:33

Written by Guest on 13.03.2012 at 19:09

If you ask me they lost exactly that on 'Process of a New Decline'. I haven't heard this but I'm guessing it's another capitulation to the modern sterile-death sound.

Its hard to understand what you mean....POAND had amazing groove and hooks, moreso than any of their previous albums. Unless I was listening with my bad ear, but the first couple of releases had no identity to them (in my opinion). Unless we have different definitions of "groove".
13.03.2012 - 19:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.03.2012 at 19:53

Its hard to understand what you mean....POAND had amazing groove and hooks, moreso than any of their previous albums. Unless I was listening with my bad ear, but the first couple of releases had no identity to them (in my opinion). Unless we have different definitions of "groove".

Clearly we do have different definitions then, Process had the worst overbearing production to a tech death album I think I've ever heard; no dynamic range whatsoever, along with terrible and generic riffs that could belong to any band. Leading Vision on the other hand was about as un-tech as a tech death band could get. Slower, cleverer and more memorable songwriting and much more organic sounding. Neurotripsicks also reflected this way of playing but not being quite up there with Leading Vision.

Oh wow, it just occurred to me how perfectly, aptly named Process of a New Decline is... how did I never notice that?
13.03.2012 - 21:08
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.03.2012 at 19:59

Written by Guest on 13.03.2012 at 19:53

Clearly we do have different definitions then, Process had the worst overbearing production to a tech death album I think I've ever heard; no dynamic range whatsoever, along with terrible and generic riffs that could belong to any band. Leading Vision on the other hand was about as un-tech as a tech death band could get. Slower, cleverer and more memorable songwriting and much more organic sounding. Neurotripsicks also reflected this way of playing but not being quite up there with Leading Vision.

Oh wow, it just occurred to me how perfectly, aptly named Process of a New Decline is... how did I never notice that?

Well I on the other hand think Leading Vision has no variety, stale and unmemorable riffs and overall a forgettible listen no matter how many times you spin it. In fact I enjoy the acoustic version of "Blackout" on Transcendence enough that I actually listen to it now and again. Can't say the same for the "Leading Visions" version. Until POAND, Gorod sounded just like every other tech death band.

But anyway, sleeping dogs. You will probably love the new album, as I find it pretty dull along with the hardcore vocals.
13.03.2012 - 21:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.03.2012 at 21:08

Well I on the other hand think Leading Vision has no variety, stale and unmemorable riffs and overall a forgettible listen no matter how many times you spin it. In fact I enjoy the acoustic version of "Blackout" on Transcendence enough that I actually listen to it now and again. Can't say the same for the "Leading Visions" version. Until POAND, Gorod sounded just like every other tech death band.

But anyway, sleeping dogs. You will probably love the new album, as I find it pretty dull along with the hardcore vocals.

Well you're certainly the first person I've ever encountered to see Leading Vision that way. I don't think I'll ever regard it as anything but a shining beacon in an otherwise sea of shite tech-wank-death metal.
14.03.2012 - 02:56
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
First listen... I like it. Process Of A New Incline... eh, that doesn't really make sense. I tried.
14.03.2012 - 13:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 14.03.2012 at 02:56

First listen... I like it. Process Of A New Incline... eh, that doesn't really make sense. I tried.

Yeah it's a definite improvement over the predecessor, not too shabby so far.
14.03.2012 - 14:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This song alone blows Process out of the water (hardcore-ish vocals withstanding)

14.03.2012 - 16:31
Rating: 9
The Benighted

First Spawn of Possession drop what could be their greatest album of all time, now this? What a great year for Metal already.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
14.03.2012 - 16:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Inspired by the Leading Vision vs POAND discussion, I gave the latter another listen, and I have to admit that it does have groove; this is heard especially through very clear rhythms. The album has always sounded as having a bit too much "wankery" and while that is true to some extent (and on some songs), there is still a very accurate rhythm section here. I mean the main beats are emphasized both in drumming and even in the leadwork itself (in the way it is structured), so when you are attentive enough, you do feel the groove.

But the best thing about POAND is the freaking soloing. I think it kills anything they had before and after; simply, mind-boggling.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

15.03.2012 - 13:41
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Very, very well-done. Needs more brutality, but I guess the well-done execution of this album is an excuse for me to forget.

Digging the funky elements of "Varangian Paradise". <3 "Theme From Shaft" anyone?
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
15.03.2012 - 21:59
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 14.03.2012 at 16:48

Inspired by the Leading Vision vs POAND discussion, I gave the latter another listen, and I have to admit that it does have groove; this is heard especially through very clear rhythms. The album has always sounded as having a bit too much "wankery" and while that is true to some extent (and on some songs), there is still a very accurate rhythm section here. I mean the main beats are emphasized both in drumming and even in the leadwork itself (in the way it is structured), so when you are attentive enough, you do feel the groove.

But the best thing about POAND is the freaking soloing. I think it kills anything they had before and after; simply, mind-boggling.

Agreed. I think you articulated what I couldn't put my finger to. I must say the wankery is what really excited me . That along with the groove made for an incredible combination - perhaps its this that caught my ear immediately and I dont have to pay such hard attention to hear it like some other people obviously have to, because thats what Ive always found most appealing in most metal.

I mean, just listened to "Disavow your God" again just now, and fuck man you dont need to dig deep to find any groove there - the whole song is just one big groovy wank!
15.03.2012 - 22:07
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.03.2012 at 14:53

This song alone blows Process out of the water (hardcore-ish vocals withstanding)

Well you dont have to try to convince me, Ive listened to the album and Im pretty sure we agree to disagree. It is a very groovy song though, I can't disagree - reminds me of big afros and ugly American cars. (in a good way). The songs Im most fond about are probably "Elements and Spirit" and "Carved in the Wind" - theyre sort of more the Gorod I like. Can't get over the hardcore vocals though....I love the songs instantly more when it switches over to the growls..
15.03.2012 - 22:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 15.03.2012 at 21:59

Agreed. I think you articulated what I couldn't put my finger to. I must say the wankery is what really excited me . That along with the groove made for an incredible combination - perhaps its this that caught my ear immediately and I dont have to pay such hard attention to hear it like some other people obviously have to, because thats what Ive always found most appealing in most metal.

I mean, just listened to "Disavow your God" again just now, and fuck man you dont need to dig deep to find any groove there - the whole song is just one big groovy wank!

Yeah, the wankery is quite groovy on the album and on "Disavow your God" in particular. Even the brutal speedy intro part is still groovey: the drummer kicks the heck out of the drum kit with blast beat but the guitar part creates the clear-cut rhythm. Gorod's music just does not get mushy. Then it gets to the middle section and it's groovey as hell there.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

16.03.2012 - 20:06
neonxaos

This is tiiiiiiiiiight!
20.03.2012 - 04:58
Bigpaul

Production is much better on this one as compared with the previous effort. Would like to hear POAND with the sound from this one.
20.03.2012 - 14:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bigpaul on 20.03.2012 at 04:58

Production is much better on this one as compared with the previous effort. Would like to hear POAND with the sound from this one.

So would I actually. It desperately needs a new paint job.
21.03.2012 - 16:42
RockeRoy

did i hear some flamenco-ish parts in one of the songs, or am i imagining things?

Your not imagining things, but if you had listen to their EP Transcendence that came out not long ago, you wouldnt be suprised. it has alot of it:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
22.03.2012 - 23:34
Iskander

Written by RockeRoy on 21.03.2012 at 16:42

Your not imagining things, but if you had listen to their EP Transcendence that came out not long ago, you wouldnt be suprised. it has alot of it:)

i see... i haven't checked that EP out yet. allthough i must admit i usually quite dislike flamenco anyway (even though i'm half spanish). it's just something i found surprising.

Hits total: 17591 | This month: 18