Release date: February 2011

01. Part 1: Transfiguration
02. Part 2: The Stench Of Burning Wings
03. Part 3: The Flaming Sword
04. Part 4: The Heavens
05. Part 5: Torn Between Ruins, Faith And The Divine
06. Part 6: Burning Hands And A Crown Of Flames
07. Part 7: Angelical Deformity

Do you hate hosting people at your apartment? Especially when they're relatives or family friends and you have to act a certain way around them? Well, you've found the ideal album to make them go away at their own will. It's not pretentious to enjoy your "favorite" music at 2 am for example; oh wait, or is it?

Are you sure you want to partake in this schizoid dissonance? It wasn't made for a benevolent cause, unless you consider this abusement park a place where humanity can daydream. No fucking way. And if you think you will survive this discordant experience very easily then I have to admit that you've been fooled. Don't take into consideration the cover artwork with the inverted Jesus on drugs and the hallucinating angels. This is definitely not the sound of an angel's trumpet! The truth shall shine with the title of the album; if the artwork is some kind of a divine thesis, then the sound is The Divine Antithesis. Not only has Mories de Jong been productive and creative during 2011, but also ecstatic to the extent of insanity; De Magia Veterum is only one aspect of his artistic psychosis.

The whole album is a wall of sound itself and disharmony reigns supreme. Disturbing guitars as if someone was ringing an alarm trespass on the tranquility of your ear drums. Volcanic noisy riffing fumes the place even more and bass lines that pound like a lunatic's hyper-euphoric heartbeat are the keys to paranoia. The fact that the drumming seems to fail enough times to synchronize with the rest of the instruments is definitely on purpose. It sets sail on parallel key signatures so as to strengthen the anti-instrumentation process. As for the vocals, demented choked screams from afar or bizarre recitations should not be considered some kind of right-as-rain interpretation, it's sickening! That's why you should worship it. The album is chaotic and so is the production, with one difference, the havoc in terms of production doesn't ruin the disorder in the song-writing factor.

Either you love it or hate it - because that's the only category in which you could place this album - it doesn't make any difference at all since The Divine Antithesis' major role is to ruin your peacefulness. Proceed with extra caution, reactions may differ drastically from person to person and undesirable behavior may occur; ask your doctor, at the asylum.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 03.10.2011 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 57   Visited by: 221 users
03.10.2011 - 23:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Love this band, I'm in that category for sure - pure disharmony ^_^ Haven't listened to this record enough though.
04.10.2011 - 01:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Love both Maurice's work with Gnaw Their Tongues and with this project of his.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2011 - 01:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.10.2011 at 01:38

'Aderlating' is also excellent.
04.10.2011 - 01:45
ß
Problem?
I would have to say this is one my favourite projects of his alongside Aderlating. The man sure can churn out some dissonant tunes.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
04.10.2011 - 01:47
Rating: 8
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.10.2011 at 01:44

I'll check this out! And Cloak Of Altering are good too! This dude works too much
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
04.10.2011 - 01:56
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

I'll check this out! And Cloak Of Altering are good too! This dude works too much

I checked out Cloak of Altering as soon as you mentioned them and really dug it. I can't wait to see what else he comes up with.
----
04.10.2011 - 01:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by KwonVerge on 04.10.2011 at 01:47

Never heard of that project, damn the guy is a busy bee. Will check them out of course.
04.10.2011 - 02:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.10.2011 at 01:44

it is as well especially live just like Gnaw Their Tongues live, haven't seen De Magia Veternum live, though.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2011 - 02:40
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

it is as well especially live just like Gnaw Their Tongues live, haven't seen De Magia Veternum live, though.

That must have been quite the experience.
----
04.10.2011 - 08:33
(((O)))
Great album, pure chaos. I must check Aderlating out later.
04.10.2011 - 19:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Maurice is such a talented guy I must say. Wonderful chaos!
This is actually more "listenable" and "musical" than Gnaw Their Tongues, probably the reason to why I feel like it's a bit easier to get into. But yeah... This is only for the sick.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.10.2011 - 19:29
Lokaeda
Account deleted
I know someone who's going to love his Portal and his The Disciples Of Zoldon
07.10.2011 - 03:34
hadriel
It's a solid album, but I can't get into it for the life of me. Awesome review, couldn't be more right about opinions being all over the place on this one.
08.10.2011 - 00:43
RavenKing
I expected to like it by the description but it didn't click for me.
Honestly, I hear a lot of noise and little musical talent. Perhaps the songs I heard on Youtube had a bad sound...
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
08.10.2011 - 15:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by RavenKing on 08.10.2011 at 00:43

Honestly, I hear a lot of noise and little musical talent. Perhaps the songs I heard on Youtube had a bad sound...

Well, his principal project ( Gnaw Their Tongues ) IS mostly noise so no wonder about it. I do think this guy is highly talented though. After listening to GTT for quite a while now, I see there's far less randomness as I thought in the beginning, same applies in this album imo.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.10.2011 - 17:38
This is what my artsy cousin listens to it... it doesn't like it at all, but it's cool to listen to this shit pretending you dig it... or so he says...
11.10.2011 - 13:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 08.10.2011 at 00:43

You should try another album (The Night Comes Illuminated with Death) this guy released this year on another project of his called Cloak of Altering. Similar in form to this but more restrained and less noisy. I think I like it even more than De Magia.

11.10.2011 - 14:19
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by Guest on 11.10.2011 at 13:22

You should try another album (The Night Comes Illuminated with Death) this guy released this year on another project of his called Cloak of Altering. Similar in form to this but more restrained and less noisy. I think I like it even more than De Magia.

I seem to like it more too, more structured and restrained indeed and more majestic at the same time, will he ever run out of ideas?
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
11.10.2011 - 14:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by KwonVerge on 11.10.2011 at 14:19

I seem to like it more too, more structured and restrained indeed and more majestic at the same time, will he ever run out of ideas?

I suppose that's the good thing about music like this, you can do minor things to it and change the outcome in quite a big way. So yeah, hopefully he'll keep churning out new stuff ;]
27.12.2011 - 13:35
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Excellent Stuff! Lately have been more into this bliss drone/psych noise stuff. This is a revelation!
29.12.2011 - 13:13
Justicelust
What the hell was that?! This is pure chaos, how can you guys listen to this?????? OK I will never ever listen to something that is avantgarde black metal, Metal is beautiful but something like this is a shame to be called Metal. I'm glad that there are Doom, Funeral Doom, Melodic Death, Folk, Symphonic, Dark, Neofolk, Shoegaze, and Gothic Metal that brings out emotions and gives you serenity.
29.12.2011 - 13:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Justicelust on 29.12.2011 at 13:13

What the hell was that?! This is pure chaos, how can you guys listen to this?????? OK I will never ever listen to something that is avantgarde black metal, Metal is beautiful but something like this is a shame to be called Metal. I'm glad that there are Doom, Funeral Doom, Melodic Death, Folk, Symphonic, Dark, Neofolk, Shoegaze, and Gothic Metal that brings out emotions and gives you serenity.

Poor baby.
29.12.2011 - 13:48
Justicelust
Written by Guest on 29.12.2011 at 13:16

Written by Justicelust on 29.12.2011 at 13:13

Poor baby.

lol I didn't know that Metal Storm is full retards who listen to chaos but MS is a good website I love it, sometimes you pick great bands I'm grateful and sometimes you pick shits like this which is a bad thing in MS.
29.12.2011 - 13:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Justicelust on 29.12.2011 at 13:48

lol I didn't know that Metal Storm is full retards who listen to chaos but MS is a good website I love it, sometimes you pick great bands I'm grateful and sometimes you pick shits like this which is a bad thing in MS.

29.12.2011 - 14:00
Justicelust
Written by Guest on 29.12.2011 at 13:54

nice picture haha who is that? sorry if I said something wrong I couldn't stand that thing you call music.
29.12.2011 - 15:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

How silly of me, I totally forgot that listening to a certain genre makes you retard.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.12.2011 - 15:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.12.2011 at 15:06

How silly of me, I totally forgot that listening to a certain genre makes you retard.

Everyone that falls out of his sphere of knowledge are retards apparently. Doctors, rocket scientists, quantum physicists etc. all have an understanding of things he doesn't. What retards. If he doesn't know it those that do are 'tards. Plain and simple.
29.12.2011 - 17:46
Justicelust
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.12.2011 at 15:06

I was wrong saying that I'm sorry but that thing called music just hit my mind like a drill and didn't let me think properly, of course listening to a certain genre doesn't make you a retard. It was the first time hearing something like that I couldn't except it, maybe I don't understand this genre I may listen to it someday who knows, but if you ask me I tell you this is not music.
29.12.2011 - 18:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Justicelust on 29.12.2011 at 17:46
but if you ask me I tell you this is not music.

Well, I never understood how music could offend people to the point of denying the fact that it's music. Tbh there are far more chaotic albums out there. There are far more extreme grindcore or black metal bands in terms of sound, nobody is saying they aren't music... Oh wait, except those who got offended by the music... My point is, the usual argument of "this is not music" is incredibly biased and false most of the time...

Maybe you could try Cloak of Altering (the video that someone posted up... It's by the same dude, far less opressive.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.12.2011 - 18:33
Justicelust
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.12.2011 at 18:08

Written by Justicelust on 29.12.2011 at 17:46
but if you ask me I tell you this is not music.

Well, I never understood how music could offend people to the point of denying the fact that it's music. Tbh there are far more chaotic albums out there. There are far more extreme grindcore or black metal bands in terms of sound, nobody is saying they aren't music... Oh wait, except those who got offended by the music... My point is, the usual argument of "this is not music" is incredibly biased and false most of the time...

Maybe you could try Cloak of Altering (the video that someone posted up... It's by the same dude, far less opressive.

Ok I'm not saying this is actually not music I say music should not be like this, you yourself say chaotic... I ask you is music chaos? you call chaotic things music? so the sound of explosions, strong winds and storms, the sound of wars, crowds, etc... are music too. this is just my opinion, I maybe wrong.
that Cloak of Altering was better, I could hear some tunes and good growls but it is still chaos. by the way I'm not offended why should I care but I was just surprised by this kind of music.

Hits total: 6339 | This month: 18