Metal Storm logo
Just started learning Bass - Need some ideas for songs to learn.

04.10.2011 - 17:15
Malevolent-Jim

Hey guys. I'm sure a lot of you know how to play bass guitar, and I just started learning. I'm using some old piece of shit my friend let me borrow until I learn a good few songs. Here's the ones I'm currently trying :

Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis
Foxboro Hot Tubs (I know, not metal, but fun!) - Sally, The Pedestrian, Alligator
The Devin Townsend Band - Vampira
DTP - Awake!!

I would love some suggestions for metal/rock songs that are easy and fun to play on bass. Preferable bands include : Devin Townsend, Opeth, Triptykon...

You know, Prog, stoner, doom kinda stuff. So long as it's not too hard and fun! Also ideas for websites to use to find their tabs since I don't think Ultimate Guitar is very useful..

Anyway, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
04.10.2011 - 21:50
DesolationJersey

Hey dude, I recommend maybe some Sabbath songs if that's what you're into. Try learning Sweet Leaf or Iron Man Good luck!
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
05.10.2011 - 00:18
Malevolent-Jim

Written by DesolationJersey on 04.10.2011 at 21:50

Hey dude, I recommend maybe some Sabbath songs if that's what you're into. Try learning Sweet Leaf or Iron Man Good luck!

Sweet! I started learning Children Of The Grave too
05.10.2011 - 02:05
DesolationJersey

Written by Malevolent-Jim on 05.10.2011 at 00:18

Written by DesolationJersey on 04.10.2011 at 21:50

Sweet! I started learning Children Of The Grave too

Great song man, best of luck
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
05.10.2011 - 14:29
Malphas

If u just started playing, u'll need to do exercises for your fingers both in your right and your left hand, cuz otherwise you'll have dificulties hitting the right notes and the right strings and if u do those exercises every day you'll be able to play songs smoothly in about a week or 2 (like i said this is beginner stuff and you'll need it if u really just started) and the easiest songs to get you a kickstart are all songs by HIM...easy as fuck and some of em are very fun to play, also some stuff like for example die die my darling by metallica and some GnR shit...good luck
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
05.10.2011 - 15:00
DesolationJersey

Also, I recommend you learn a few scales, the major scale, minor scale, blues scale and just practice them to get your finger strength and speed up.
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
09.03.2012 - 06:04
Thrash83

While I'm sure the name of this particular song isn't quite popular here, try learning Enter Sandman by Metallica for the bass. I find it's good to warm up my fingers with before I start to play the faster, more extreme stuff I usually play like Exodus, Slayer, Overkill, Early Metallica and songs for my own thrash band Katalyst. But Enter Sandman is definitely a great song to learn how to play when you're just starting out because of the simplicity and the straight-forwardness of it.
12.03.2012 - 15:05
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
The Jesus Lizard and Green Day
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.03.2012 - 22:33
Irradiated

Http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/metal-tabs-t1 May not be the best site for tabs, but hey it's better than nothing. Just listen closely though, not all of this shit's correct.
13.03.2012 - 00:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Paranoid - Black sabbath.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.03.2012 - 16:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Opeth - Hope Leaves

I did that song for my school with my former band, it was fun and easy to play.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2012 - 16:28
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2012 at 16:02

Opeth - Hope Leaves

Awesome song to jam with a band
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
13.03.2012 - 17:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by InnerSelf on 13.03.2012 at 16:28

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2012 at 16:02

Opeth - Hope Leaves

Awesome song to jam with a band

Indeed, after the last chorus we just continued playing that riff/bass line and the lead guitarrist went mad with solos and stuff, it was nice.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2012 - 17:58
Branzig

Anything Black Sabbath will get your fingers moving.

How Many More Times by Zeppelin is a good one too. Teaches you timing and groove.
----
In Grind We Crust
13.03.2012 - 21:47
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2012 at 17:47

Indeed, after the last chorus we just continued playing that riff/bass line and the lead guitarrist went mad with solos and stuff, it was nice.

Sounds like a lot of fun
----
is not bold enough
13.03.2012 - 22:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by InnerSelf on 13.03.2012 at 21:47
Sounds like a lot of fun

Yeah those were the times... *sigh*

The joke here is that this was something that happened like less than 2 years ago We all live too far away from each other though, we are still friends and visit each other and stuff but not as much as before and we don't have the place we used to jam either.... Every friday for 4-5 hours straight. I wasn't in the university getting mindfucked by homework and tests.... *sigh*.

Our Killing in the name cover ruled as well...
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2012 - 22:33
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2012 at 22:10

Yeah those were the times... *sigh*

The joke here is that this was something that happened like less than 2 years ago We all live too far away from each other though, we are still friends and visit each other and stuff but not as much as before and we don't have the place we used to jam either.... Every friday for 4-5 hours straight. I wasn't in the university getting mindfucked by homework and tests.... *sigh*.

Our Killing in the name cover ruled as well...

Yeah I can totally relate ... school = less band time
shame about the distance issue though, jamming times are great, been having the same problem because of the lack of time
----
is not bold enough
30.03.2012 - 18:44
JD
Account deleted
Mad Season - Lifeless Dead
31.03.2012 - 22:58
Olli

If you have a 5 string Carcass - Childs Play and Fear Factory - Default Judgement are really easy and sound nice
For 4 string the first thing I learned was System Of A Downs Deer Dance, some Nirvana and and sabbath, no idea if you like these bands but if you do they're a good place to get started
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
18.04.2012 - 11:50
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Bullet by the Misfits
Losfer Words by Iron Maiden
Day Tripper by the Beatles
To Tame a Land by Iron Maiden, once you get up to man-sized bass lines haha
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
24.04.2012 - 17:51
the stranger

Starter songs:

Ich verlasse heut' dein Herz - Lacrimosa
Copycat - Lacrimosa
When You Were Young - The Killers
Reptilia - The Strokes
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Moonspell - Alma Mater
Deep - Anathema
Bleak Dormition - Forest Of Shadows

Intermediate songs:

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Money - Pink Floyd
Siehst du mich im licht - Lacrimosa
Woman - Wolfmother
Dead End Friends - Them Crooked Vultures
Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen - Santana

Advance songs:

Schism - Tool
Orion - Metallica
Hallowed be they name - Iron Maiden
Blackwater Park - Opeth
Deliverance - Opeth

5-string bass songs:

Anger's Steaming Arrows - Mourning Beloveth
The Words That Crawled - Mourning Beloveth
Narcissistic Funeral - Mourning Beloveth
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Ballrog Boogie - Diablo Swing Orchestra

Always do finger exercises for both your left and right hand before you start playing. Don't be a dude that only uses two finger from his left hand and just the index of his right one. That way you'll never get past the first songs I've recommended you. Also, learn by heart every major scale, every minor. That way you'll grasp the scale of everything you play, making it easier to learn the song and you can jam along whenever you feel to it. With all these I think you have enough to practice for 6 months.
03.05.2012 - 11:50
Ísak Petersen
Account deleted
The Machine Head bass lines are pretty easy, and yet very cool music.
If you play half tempo compared to the guitars (as most bassplayers do), the Amon Amarth is also a very good band to jam to, cos it's very simple and yet very good.

Though, my best advice is to play everything you get your hands on. Even music that you don't listen to
27.05.2012 - 14:55
Malphas

Yo guys, this might be a bit off topic but since it's a noob question i thought it's not enough to create an own thread for it, so here it goes:

lately i've been experimenting with a lot of different tunings and EQ settings and i noticed that no matter what i tried, i couldn't produce this tone:

so i did some research and it turns out, u need a processor for such a tone and since i have 0 experience with bass processors i was hoping some of u might give me a few tips on what kind of processor to look for and how to set it up in order to get such a tone...and if it's not too expensive, i'm seriously considering getting one so...any help would be much appreciated.
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
01.06.2012 - 13:30
Malphas

So i guess no one else has any experience with bass processors then, oh well it was worth a try...i'm on vacation right now but when i get home the first thing i'll do is try to cut the lows and highs (actually leave a bit of the lows) boost the mids and crank up the compressor of my amp head....i think i'll get a similar sound (although not as bright, aggressive and clean)
----
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle