03. Of The Leper Butterflies
04. Forget Not
05. And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope
06. As Icicles Fall
07. Of Petrichor Weaves Black Noise

Top 20 albums of 2012: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 154

Additional info
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren (Katatonia, Opeth, Soilwork) at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden.

Released on 7 May, 2012 in Australia through Welkin Records.

Guest review by
CobiWan1993
Rating:
Now I for one am one of the newer fans of this unique progressive metal outfit. I was unaware of the Aurora Veil EP that came out in 2007, was already establishing a fan-base, and was building up significant hype for the release of Portal of I five years later. I have never even heard of Ne Obliviscaris, until right before the album was released, with the surrounding hype growing to a fever-pitch. I was finally able to order a copy from the band's label and after a few spins, I must say, I was quite impressed.

Read more ››
published 30.09.2012 | Comments (7)

Staff review by
Milena
Rating:
N/A
Reading other people's opinions is a funny thing. Before I checked it out myself, I was convinced Ne Obliviscaris would sound like a bastard child of meloblack-infused Wintersun and Into Eternity on drugs. And I'm not going to lie to you, there's definitely a bit of that in Portal Of I, but that's only a part of the picture.

Read more ››
published 24.10.2012 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Lucerna
Rating:
I was introduced to this band by a friend of mine whose taste in metal was quite similar to mine; he showed me a video of "As Icicles Fall". This took my attention, and I decided to check these guys out; and I was very pleased with what I heard.

Read more ››
published 04.06.2014 | Comments (3)

Found in 101 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 165   Visited by: 2255 users
18.05.2012 - 17:24
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by PocketMetal on 18.05.2012 at 17:23
I pray to God it won't end up like Septicflesh at the top of the charts , this was supposed to be my discovery

You were beaten to the punch by quite a large margin...

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Ne_Obliviscaris/The_Aurora_Veil/152048/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.05.2012 - 17:31
Rating: 9
PocketMetal
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 17:24

Written by PocketMetal on 18.05.2012 at 17:23
I pray to God it won't end up like Septicflesh at the top of the charts , this was supposed to be my discovery

You were beaten to the punch by quite a large margin...

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Ne_Obliviscaris/The_Aurora_Veil/152048/

WTF
I rarely visit metal-archive , first time in 4 years I guess ...

P.S. and you are too fast at replying !
18.05.2012 - 18:10
Justicelust
Great album, I really enjoy it
18.05.2012 - 19:16
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 16:43

I don't try to assert myself as being "above" anyone.

So, it's unintentional, then?
18.05.2012 - 19:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by JÄY on 18.05.2012 at 19:16

If any of my comments give others any reason to believe I think I'm somehow better than them, then yes, it's unintentional.

Just because I don't like this album doesn't mean I think I have a better taste in music, and just because people do like this album doesn't mean I think they have a bad taste in music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.05.2012 - 19:48
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 19:31

If any of my comments give others any reason to believe I think I'm somehow better than them, then yes, it's unintentional.

Just because I don't like this album doesn't mean I think I have a better taste in music, and just because people do like this album doesn't mean I think they have a bad taste in music.

just joshin troyboy
18.05.2012 - 22:45
Rating: 10
bitethepain
Wow! Just wow!
19.05.2012 - 00:56
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Damn, it was good indeed. Towards the end I was kind of hoping they'd stop it already, but the last song made me regret that. Lots of puppies for the bass player, please.
20.05.2012 - 01:19
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
I suppose this is 2012's overhyped album of the year (2011's being Septic Flesh of course). The novetly factor wears off quicker than a fat man chasing an ice cream truck, and it drags on for far too long. I suppose it is still a somewhat refreshing album.
20.05.2012 - 14:03
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.05.2012 at 01:19

I suppose this is 2012's overhyped album of the year (2011's being Septic Flesh of course). The novetly factor wears off quicker than a fat man chasing an ice cream truck, and it drags on for far too long. I suppose it is still a somewhat refreshing album.

I... ummmm... uhhh... no wait, uhhhh... ah, forget it. -_-
20.05.2012 - 16:29
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2012 at 22:47

Written by The Melting Snow on 17.05.2012 at 22:42
:o i wonder what's all the hype for.

Can't say if this is receiving any special attention outside of Metal Storm, but I can say this will undoubtedly find its way into the top 10 and remain there for the remainder of the year.

The average Metal Stormer enjoys more melodic, catchy, accessible forms of metal, and although this isn't the most simplistic style of music, the album itself is very... "easy" to appreciate, and has a lot of elements that people here go crazy for.

There is no such thing as average metalstormer. If you consider yourself special (with more uncommon musical taste that we know you have) that only means you're more self-contained and egoist than most people.

Depressive, moody, dissonant, erratic, complicated - since these are not entirely true signatures of this album of course it won't be your fav, since you used to measure music only in these terms. The less these are in it, the less you'll like it.
All I'm saying if someone is ought to be a music reviewer he/she needs/must be more and more open-minded.

Sorry if I was a bit rude but it had to come out.
----
20.05.2012 - 17:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by qlacs on 20.05.2012 at 16:29
Sorry if I was a bit rude but it had to come out.

Sorry if you missed everyone else already trying to do the same and me already responding to this crap.
----
20.05.2012 - 18:44
CyberSymphony
Ollie
After checking out most of the comments above, I might just listen to this album. Really like the album cover too.
21.05.2012 - 01:48
pisymbol
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 19:31

Btw Troy, I listened to the album. Sigh, you were right! They have a lot of material that has a lot of potential but they can't coalesce it into anything substantial. Musical masturbation if you ask me.
21.05.2012 - 02:11
DelightfulJim
This is fantastic.
21.05.2012 - 03:05
Rating: 10
meadow
Amazing!! be'lakor has some friendly competition this year.
21.05.2012 - 03:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by pisymbol on 21.05.2012 at 01:48
Btw Troy, I listened to the album. Sigh, you were right! They have a lot of material that has a lot of potential but they can't coalesce it into anything substantial. Musical masturbation if you ask me.

Not really "glad" that you agree since I'm never glad to hear someone doesn't like something, but it is nice to know someone agrees with me.

And hopefully my comments aren't misconstrued again. I hate looking like an elitist douchebag.
----
21.05.2012 - 03:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
*Not reading the comments (except for Troy's latest), or having any prior knowledge of this band.*

I bet this is soulless prog black.

EDIT: Damn, I really had a feeling on this one. Will check out though. Extreme prog seems interesting enough.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.05.2012 - 21:29
pisymbol
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.05.2012 at 03:39

Written by pisymbol on 21.05.2012 at 01:48

Not really "glad" that you agree since I'm never glad to hear someone doesn't like something, but it is nice to know someone agrees with me.

And hopefully my comments aren't misconstrued again. I hate looking like an elitist douchebag.

Troy, its alright. You are a polite BME. Just accept it.

(just kidding).
23.05.2012 - 15:34
malaikat
Haters gonna hate, this music makes me happy. Near-perfect mix of proggy, avantguarde and deathmetal-ish sound. Violin is little out-of-place, but in a good way for me, it adds well to the bizzarity of the album. I'm thinking something between 8 or 9, but I will probably give them 9 because it's their first full-length release.

EDIT: nah, probably an 8. I'm enjoying "Portal of I" very much, but I'm actually enjoying what this album could be, rather what it is right now. The idea is fantastic, but the realisation is "just" very good. It's a great album, but if this dudes do their thing right, their second album is going to be *brilliant*.

But the album's imperfections actually sound cute to me. I don't know, I just listening to that kind of albums, where you see the band's potential, but also their current inabillity to achieve it completely. As I said - I'm allready superstoked for Ne Obliviscaris' next release.
24.05.2012 - 06:33
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by malaikat on 23.05.2012 at 15:34

I'm allready superstoked for Ne Obliviscaris' next release.

You could be waiting a while, this one took forever to come out. I'm with ya though hopefully they've started some momentum with this album.
24.05.2012 - 13:14
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Timmeh on 24.05.2012 at 06:33

Written by malaikat on 23.05.2012 at 15:34

I'm allready superstoked for Ne Obliviscaris' next release.

You could be waiting a while, this one took forever to come out.

It took long because they were super unlucky with several things, all songs had been written for like 3 years prior. Next one should be out quicker.
24.05.2012 - 13:39
Urs Blank
Written by Risto on 24.05.2012 at 13:14

It took long because they were super unlucky with several things, all songs had been written for like 3 years prior. Next one should be out quicker.

Exactly! I'm glad to see they didn't disbanded, after the hard time they went through with the guitarist's visa issues. And the result is not disappointing! I'm sure we won't have to wait three more years to hear their next delivery, especially considering how well received this Portal Of I is.
24.05.2012 - 15:51
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Risto on 24.05.2012 at 13:14

I noticed the band also stated recently that without the government grant, the album might not have happened. Hopefully money won't become an issue for them for latter releases.
24.05.2012 - 23:56
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Wtf is up with all the hoopla about this release. I suppose I should sample. People that know me (which aren't many ) , will I dig this whole thing or not?
----
rekt
25.05.2012 - 00:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 24.05.2012 at 23:56
...will I dig this whole thing or not?

Normally I'm able to lend a hand most of the time when you ask for it but I honestly can't say here. There aren't any post elements or anything of that nature and it's incredibly melodic, with some black metal-lite vocals.

I suppose I'd label it extreme prog, although it's more like extreme pseudo-prog in my opinion.
----
25.05.2012 - 00:10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.05.2012 at 00:06

I suppose I'd label it extreme prog, although it's more like extreme pseudo-prog in my opinion.

Well Troy, if u didn't know my next favorite genre is prog metal, I have a ton of stuff. When I think extreme prog I think of The Unexpect or BTBAM. Is this close?
----
rekt
25.05.2012 - 00:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.05.2012 at 00:10
Is this close?

Not even a little similar. It's more like... bits of Wintersun, In Mourning, Dark Lunacy, Persefone... and that's pretty much all that comes to mind.
----
25.05.2012 - 00:32
malaikat
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.05.2012 at 00:10

Well Troy, if u didn't know my next favorite genre is prog metal, I have a ton of stuff. When I think extreme prog I think of The Unexpect or BTBAM. Is this close?

Well, if it helps, it kinda sounds like Unexpect with the insanity levels toned down to me. Kinda. Only "insane" elements are coming from that violin and (ocasionaly) peculiar clean vocals, but it works pretty well, methinks.
25.05.2012 - 04:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I think it's nowhere close Unexpect. I'd say it's like a proggy Dark Lunacy, as Troy suggested.

Hits total: 51662 | This month: 114