06. The Art Of Dying
07. Drum Solo
08. Clone
09. Flying Whales
10. Toxic Garbage Island
11. Vacuity

The best Alternative Metal album of 2012

Additional info
Produced by Josh Wilbur and Joseph Duplantier.
Engineered by Josh Wilbur and Paul Suarez.
Mixed by Josh Wilbur.
Recorded and mixed at Spin Studios, Long Island City, NY.
Mastered by UE Nastasi at Sterling Sound, New York, NY.
Artwork by Joseph Duplantier.

Guest review by
s7mon
Rating:
Gojira have marked their position on the map of great metal bands with two records: 2005's From Mars to Sirius and 2008's The Way of All Flesh. I consider myself a huge fan of the French commando and these two albums are among my all-time favorites. So you can imagine that my expectations were incredibly high and I expected something absolutely out of this world with Gojira's fifth full-length. And probably this is one of the reasons I found this album to be just?decent.

Read more ››
published 08.12.2012 | Comments (6)

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
This album is essentially Gojira in a box, one which is tightly and neatly packaged for your convenience. There is little room for maneuvering yet it has sides strong enough to withstand the onslaught of chugging riff savagery contained within. Where previous albums such as From Mars To Sirius were more sprawling affairs this is by far more concise in sound. It is a precise taming of that ear denting chaos the band has exhibited in previous efforts.

Read more ››
published 10.12.2012 | Comments (32)

Guest review by
Desha
Rating:
N/A
Prior to 2008's The Way Of All Flesh, Gojira could almost be called a gimmick band. Get a super heavy riff, make it catchy but fuck with it just a little so as to feel fresh and interesting, have some great drumming underneath, add a little quirky touch, done is your Gojira record.

Read more ››
published 26.02.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 81 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 86   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1783 users
12.10.2011 - 20:44
Rating: 9
infernaldeath87

YES
29.12.2011 - 20:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Hurry up!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.03.2012 - 09:15
Siegreicher

Why is this still TBA!?!?! i swear they posted youtube teasers like 2 years ago it seems like
31.03.2012 - 08:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Well, apparently that "March 2012" thing was bullshit since March is almost over
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.04.2012 - 23:49
strade

My anticipation for this release is verging upon near insanity. June 26th can't come soon enough.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
02.06.2012 - 00:22
kaylamacgavin

I can't wait anymore.....
04.06.2012 - 20:01
John Shock

New song "Liquid Fire" is amazing! \m/
16.06.2012 - 05:13
strade

LEAKED. Opinion forthcoming.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
16.06.2012 - 13:55
Moose

I'm really trying to enjoy this, but 2 listens in, and i'm still finding it a little... boring. A couple of tracks are standing out, but the rest seem a little bland. I guess because there really is very little 'lead guitar', and even less vocal variation.
Will give it a few more listens before making an official judgement though.
16.06.2012 - 16:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
6 tracks in and I'm struggling not to turn it off. So, so boring... seems like nothing more than repetitive mid-paced chugging.

Let down.

Before any fanbois bitch at me, remember that this band once made this...

I really want this album to finish so I can listen to the new Verdunkeln.
16.06.2012 - 20:28
Rating: 7
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 16.06.2012 at 16:01

6 tracks in and I'm struggling not to turn it off. So, so boring... seems like nothing more than repetitive mid-paced chugging.
Let down.

I'm halfway through my first listen and it's not as bad as you suggest, I can tell from what I've heard so far that it will not be half as huge as From Mars To Sirius but it's still pretty enjoyable
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
16.06.2012 - 20:35
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Have to agree with Moose and J.O.O.E. after the first listen. To me, this is more of the same: no innovation, no nothing; and this is not a good type of the same. Essentially, they have done all this, only way better. Something else that occurred to me: this album totally lacks dynamics.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.06.2012 - 01:23
Rating: 9
infernaldeath87

This deeply saddens me to hear all of these negative comments! Now I'm starting to question buying this when it comes out...
17.06.2012 - 01:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 16.06.2012 at 20:28

I'm halfway through my first listen and it's not as bad as you suggest, I can tell from what I've heard so far that it will not be half as huge as From Mars To Sirius but it's still pretty enjoyable

Try listening to it back to back with From Mars To Sirius. As K?ulu it lacks any of its dynamism and the bits that are good are so far and few between. If you like it though then that's good for you but I doubt I'll ever revisit this one...
17.06.2012 - 02:06
Azoic
Account deleted
Big let down, indeed.
17.06.2012 - 03:02
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Checking the songs over the top, Pain Is A Master was great. No other highlights, I'll give it a full listen tomorrow.
17.06.2012 - 03:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Being that I've never liked these guys, and those who have really liked them are kind of crapping on this, I'm using airtight logic and assuming I'm going to love it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.06.2012 - 03:16
Azoic
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 17.06.2012 at 03:02
Checking the songs over the top, Pain Is A Master was great. No other highlights, I'll give it a full listen tomorrow.

That one and "Planned Obsolescence" was the only highlights for me. The rest was "meh".

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.06.2012 at 03:05
Being that I've never liked these guys, and those who have really liked them are kind of crapping on this, I'm using airtight logic and assuming I'm going to love it.

"Challenge accepted"?
17.06.2012 - 12:05
embracing

Also trying to get into it, but it's super boring. Where's the progressive-technical edge Gojira had? Apart from a few good moments, I think a mediocre guitarist could learn all these songs in one day... Sorry, guys!
17.06.2012 - 12:44
Moose

Written by Guest on 17.06.2012 at 03:16

Written by Unhealer on 17.06.2012 at 03:02

That one and "Planned Obsolescence" was the only highlights for me. The rest was "meh".

Hmm, well my favorite song by far was L'Enfant Sauvage...the heavy section at 2:23 is pretty amazing, and had me anticipating a great album.
The only other one which stands out to me is "The Gift of Guilt".
17.06.2012 - 16:30
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by embracing on 17.06.2012 at 12:05

Also trying to get into it, but it's super boring. Where's the progressive-technical edge Gojira had? Apart from a few good moments, I think a mediocre guitarist could learn all these songs in one day... Sorry, guys!

I don't know what your standards for a good guitarist are, but all Gojira albums are pretty easy for guitar, they never had a technical edge. And I shouldn't even mention that that doesn't say anything about the quality of the music.

Just heard it and it's pretty good, you bitches scared me.
18.06.2012 - 16:39
MyNameJeff

Fantastic
18.06.2012 - 18:42
JD
Account deleted

Let down.

Seconded, I'd give it 7\10 though.
18.06.2012 - 23:34
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 18.06.2012 at 18:42

Let down.

Seconded, I'd give it 7\10 though.

Yeah around that for me too, it gets a bit repetitive towards the end
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
19.06.2012 - 08:16
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I quite like it based upon my first listen. Seems like I'm the only one
I agree it's nothing new being on offer here. But most bands don't anyway and we still enjoy a lot of them.
----
loves 小巫
19.06.2012 - 12:52
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

Let down.

Before any fanbois bitch at me, remember that this band once made this...

I'm a fanboi and I always remember the band for From Mars. Their production has really gotten crazy, but I don't find the music as good as it used to be.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
19.06.2012 - 16:13
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Now I can say I like it a lot more than The Way Of All Flesh. This one doesn't bring anything new in the sense of experimenting with a totally different sound, but the approach is more melodic than the previous albums.
The production makes this album sound as twice as heavy as it actually is, it constantly punches you right in the face.
19.06.2012 - 19:06
Risto
Wandering Midget
This came out of fucking nowhere. It'll deserve at least an 8 from me.

EDIT: Haha, just saw the negative responses. How am I not surprised...
20.06.2012 - 12:53
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
All I can say now after 3 spins is. HUGH production. I think if the production wasn't as heavy and big as it is, it wouldn't stand out so much.
I'm kinda sad though. I knew that I wouldn't like the new album as much as their older stuff, but at the back of my head I wanted them to surprise me :/
Oh well its not a bad album, just not the gojira I like. I would say a 7/10 for me as well. Totally agree about it being repetitive and they have lost a lot of the trademark gojira riffing.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
20.06.2012 - 14:04
DahliaRock

Yeah I have been trying to listen to this album, did succeed only twice, rest I just switched to something else! Seriously, if you gave me layered versions of the last 2 albums, I can copy paste and make this album from all those snippets. I wonder if along the way they had an alzheimer attack just forgot what they composed already?

Seriously, being a huge fan of the last 2 albums, this feels like crap and don't understand how people actually like this.. I understand, the production sounds good (can't tell before the cd release tho) and there are some nasty bits here and there, but beyond that, it's a rehearsal tape for concerts gone wrong.

Luckily we have other great music this year.. Going back to Ihsahn now

Hits total: 35266 | This month: 40