02. Birch Black
03. Hollow Stone
04. Pantheist
05. Birch White
06. Sowilo Rune
07. Summerisle Reprise

Featured in "Getting Into: Agalloch"

Additional info
Limited to 2000 copies. This EP contains material that has been recorded between 2004 to 2007.

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
Everyone could use a 30-minute break to contemplate the beautiful, harrowing, and miraculous nature of life, and Agalloch are here to provide exactly that break.

Read more ››
published 08.09.2019 | Comments (9)

Found in 11 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 559 users
14.10.2011 - 07:12
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
This is a great album on it's own, but damn, if you've seen The Wicker Man (The Original!), this album takes on so much more meaning.
14.10.2011 - 07:25
Rating: 10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcus on 14.10.2011 at 07:12
This is a great album on it's own, but damn, if you've seen The Wicker Man (The Original!), this album takes on so much more meaning.

The original is a fantastic movie, among my favorites. And ya...if you've seen it the spoken parts in the EP bring back images from the film and adds to the experience. Agalloch are usually pretty good for making you feel their music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 07:32
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 07:25

The original is a fantastic movie, among my favorites. And ya...if you've seen it the spoken parts in the EP bring back images from the film and adds to the experience. Agalloch are usually pretty good for making you feel their music.

Glad you've seen it, I sure hope you've seen the Nic Cage remake too. It's funny, the more I listen to it the more I like the movie too. I really commend them for striking such a strong connection between this EP and the movie.
14.10.2011 - 07:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcus on 14.10.2011 at 07:32
I sure hope you've seen the Nic Cage remake too.
I really commend them for striking such a strong connection between this EP and the movie.

I despise Nicolas Cage, but I watch his movies out of masochistic curiosity. The remake was awful (which I expected)... It's amazing how one movie can inspire a band to create music as heard on this EP and then some director decides to remake the same movie and lose touch with the original completely.

I mean I guess that's better than doing a shot-for-shot remake of Psycho, or judging by the previews I've seen, The Thing. People and their inadequacies.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 07:52
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 07:37

Written by Marcus on 14.10.2011 at 07:32
I sure hope you've seen the Nic Cage remake too.
I really commend them for striking such a strong connection between this EP and the movie.

I despise Nicolas Cage, but I watch his movies out of masochistic curiosity. The remake was awful (which I expected)... It's amazing how one movie can inspire a band to create music as heard on this EP and then some director decides to remake the same movie and lose touch with the original completely.

I mean I guess that's better than doing a shot-for-shot remake of Psycho, or judging by the previews I've seen, The Thing. People and their inadequacies.

Me too, but watching that movie really cracked me up despite it being such a bastardization of the original. And don't get me started on the new The Thing, from the previews it looks like they decided to get rid of everything that made the "original" good.

14.10.2011 - 07:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcus on 14.10.2011 at 07:52

That's fucking awesome!

I love when he's like "Everywhere I turn my head there's something I don't understand" or whatever and then it pans to a guy wearing a bear's head for a hat. Too good.

I feel like one would be hard-pressed to make a good comedy trailer of the original. It's a really dark, atmospheric film that is perfectly captured by Agalloch on this EP. I highly doubt anything Nicolas Cage will ever be a part of will ever inspire a metal band.

Aside from his son, that is.
----
14.10.2011 - 09:26
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 07:59

Written by Marcus on 14.10.2011 at 07:52

That's fucking awesome!

I love when he's like "Everywhere I turn my head there's something I don't understand" or whatever and then it pans to a guy wearing a bear's head for a hat. Too good.

I feel like one would be hard-pressed to make a good comedy trailer of the original. It's a really dark, atmospheric film that is perfectly captured by Agalloch on this EP. I highly doubt anything Nicolas Cage will ever be a part of will ever inspire a metal band.

Aside from his son, that is.

Hehehe I saw that video before ever seeing the movie and I thought to myself "there's no way a movie exists where Nic Cage seriously punch ~4 women".

Very true, there's very little comedy to be found in the movie. You should check out "Black Death" if you haven't already. It's takes place during the Plague but has a lot of the same themes and overall vibe as The Wicker Man.

I could see a grindcore band doing a Nicolas Cage themed album, maybe Ultra Vomit. And I actually had no clue his son is in a black metal band. That's pretty boss.
28.03.2012 - 02:05
@gent_-_orange

I would love to own a physical copy of this, Goddammit Agalloch why make your EP's so hard to get.
10.06.2013 - 18:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I am happy I have downloaded wersion, because this is well OK, for folk muisc, but I would prefere more metal if I pay, but since Its not orginal so its OK , good folk tunes
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.08.2014 - 17:51
telephonebear
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 07:25

The EP opens with the kids singing "We carry death out of the village". It never really seemed very significant or memorable in the film but here it sounds really poignant . The quotations about God being dead and Lord Summerisle not being an unenlightened heathen are brilliant as well, the latter closing the album in such a beautiful way. I'd like to hear Haughm's thoughts on the film being a Pagan/Heathen himself, he obviously likes it to write an EP on it.
15.08.2014 - 15:55
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
I've listened to this on repeat for nights recently, working on artwork and other things, drinking wine, mead, Ardbeg, incense all at once. Made me understand how to see different releases show seperate dimensions to an artists sound, by focusing on one aspect stricter then before (outside of Burzum).
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

27.01.2015 - 03:32
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
I fucking love this album.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

16.05.2016 - 09:01
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Folk songs that can touch your soul.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
05.01.2017 - 02:07
Ichinose
Account deleted
Been having my afternoon 1 hour naps to this EP for a while now. Never gets old. Such amazing far-reaching melodies.
23.08.2019 - 08:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
If this isn't some of the most soul-searching music you'll ever come across then I don't know what is. It stands above any of their other releases, the iconic duo included. I must have listened to this over 100 times by now and whenever someone suggests a new album for me to test out, I usually just ignore it and have this ready to go again instead.
----
10.01.2021 - 08:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Purchasing the digital remastered version wasn't enough for me so I just dropped 75 bucks to get the white colored vinyl shipped from Germany
----
10.01.2021 - 11:26
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2021 at 08:04
Purchasing the digital remastered version wasn't enough for me so I just dropped 75 bucks to get the white colored vinyl shipped from Germany

Eh, I've done purchaces like that so I get you. If you like it you gotta put a ring on it, right?
I'm happy with my remastered CD version. Then again I got it from the Season Of Mist European website. I just took a look at the North American version but it only has Ashes Against The Grain on CD. Where are you buying the vinyl from?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.01.2021 - 15:24
MeatWolf

Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.01.2021 at 11:26

If you like it you gotta put a ring on it, right?

Amen. Although I've already had Whitedivisiongrey as digibook + I didn't notice much difference in the remastered version.
10.01.2021 - 16:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.01.2021 at 11:26

Eh, I've done purchaces like that so I get you. If you like it you gotta put a ring on it, right?
I'm happy with my remastered CD version. Then again I got it from the Season Of Mist European website. I just took a look at the North American version but it only has Ashes Against The Grain on CD. Where are you buying the vinyl from?

Eisenwald. I keep checking in to see if they ever re-press any Panzerfaust records but so far I've been out of luck. The worst part is that the band members literally live ~50km away from me but all of their merch distribution is handled by a European label 🤦‍♂️
----
21.10.2022 - 14:34
Rating: 7
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Interesting EP certainly their softest and most chilled out work, the whole thing is practically folk based structured with accoustic and piano passages, and almost zero influence of black metal involved. It's not bad, however it's certainly different, and I'm pretty sure the theme is set around The Wicker Man.

Hits total: 15300 | This month: 16