02. Helplessness
03. ...And How To Drown In Your Arms
04. Black Swans
05. Reminiscence
06. The Crown Of Leaving
07. All Your Radiance...
08. The Embrace And The Eclipse
09. The Fate Of Equilibrium

After a wonderful debut album, "?And the Wings Embraced Us", and "the birth of a dream", "La Naissance D'Un Reve", Lacrimas Profundere sign a contract with a rising force, Napalm Records. They start working on new ideas and finally "Memorandum" gets released in 1999 making the band known to a wider audience with their melodic doom/death metal, enriched by orchestral/classical influences and having a sense of gothic in it. Mostly Anathema and a bit of My Dying Bride seem to float in the air at times while listening to "Memorandum", yet without copying them. Lacrimas Profundere is one of the bands that harmonize wonderfully their influences with their own ideas enriching them with pure emotions haunting the listener keeping him imprisoned under a veil of bleakness in a sea of tears.

The compositions remain complex and for the first time the production is the one that such a wonderful band deserves. The violin and the piano's melodies add a special feeling in Lacrimas Profundere's sound, along with the keyboard ideas, while the atmosphere-evoking guitar riffing paves wonderfully the way for Christopher Schmid to show the grandeur of his voice, not only his deep grunts, but also his melodic clear voice that harmonizes painfully with the bitter musical background. Lacrimas Profundere combine the lyricism and classical music influences of their first two releases with a gothic sense caressing their melodic doom/death with deep inspiration flowing from within making "Memorandum" maybe their best release up to date. Wear "the crown of leaving" and mourn like a king?

?as "Infinity" weaves its song of forever evoking a melancholic serene feeling in the air, leading slowly to "Helplessness". The heart-rending acoustic guitar chords and inspired guitar riffing make you shiver like a leaf in the autumn whilst the piano pieces add a sense of bitterness in the overall emotionally burdened atmosphere of the song with Christopher enchanting the listener with his fabulous descriptive voice. "?And How to Drown In Your Arms" lets the album flow in utter bleakness with the guitars paving wonderfully the way for Christopher's recites or grunts whereas the piano enriches at times the grey atmosphere with its melancholic melodies.

Memories of the recent past rise with the classical structure of this doleful opus that follows, "Black Swans", in which the piano unfolds is bitter melodies in the air dancing in the rain, harmonizing beautifully with Christopher's deep grunts interpreting utterly poetic and sorrowful lyrics in such a descriptive way. And the album keeps on flowing in emotional soundscapes with the fabulous "Reminiscence"; the guitar riffing is inspired and paces wonderfully with the piano and the synth-born melodies that flirt with Christopher's intense grunting voice. Lyricism and inspiration unfold in front of your very eyes as the painful violin and doleful keyboard melodies of the following "The Crown of Leaving" start echoing harmonizing with the atmosphere-evoking guitars, Anja's enchanting operatic voice and Christopher's eerie almost howling voice and imposing recites interpreting lyrics of pure poetry and bleeding beauty.

Snow keeps on falling on her silent grave with "All Your Radiance" and its heart-rending penetrating soundscapes leave you bleeding with the piano and violin melodies dancing on falling withered flowers with their fragile sound as the guitar riffing accompanies Christopher's descriptive painful interpretation. "The Embrace and the Eclipse" lets the album flow in emotional greatness with bleak beautiful-sounding melodies floating here and there caressing your soul so deep inside leading slowly to the closing theme of "Memorandum", "The Fate of Equilibrium", closing the album in such a serene melancholic way embracing "the end of eternity"?

"Memorandum" is the quintessence, along with "La Naissance D'Un Reve", of Lacrimas Profundere, everything this beauteous band was standing for, yet now has forgotten?

Written on 10.02.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 69 users
08.10.2006 - 02:32
Rating: 9
ylside

Deserves it's rating, an excellent album indeed !
05.11.2006 - 16:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This german band is very inspiring to me. I think this cd is brilliant, let me say that the lyrics are brilliant as well. I think they achieved a full harmony between the musical and the lyrical composition and that is why this album is so good. It does resemble Anathema here and there, never copying it as u said.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.02.2007 - 20:55
vhaldemar

the bestalbum of lacrimas profundere for me!!!!!!
20.03.2007 - 17:41
lazarus

Helplessness and Reminiscence resemble each other, that's what I thought the first time and still
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
11.02.2008 - 21:38
Rating: 10
omjaimes
omjaimes
Fantastic..... a master piece .... very minimalist, depressive, melancholic, great voice, riffs, edition ....

it is an album with which can feel feelings of impotence, rage, melancholy, depression without falling in the dense tedium.
in their group all the songs form an excellent work, with an unique, very particular, dynamic sound without a doubt some one doom very close to the Gothic.
13.01.2009 - 17:02
Amber Mazda
Account deleted
Christopher vice is realy matchless in this album.i love it

Hits total: 9655 | This month: 16