04. False Divine
05. Arise Infernal Existence
06. Malignant Amour
07. A Recreant Canticle
08. The Desolate Form
09. Entercism
10. Amidst Gehenna
11. Gates Of Punishment

It's all boring now, it really is. Drown any genre in enough forgettable bands and it loses it's impact. Rose Funeral play that clean, sharp-edged death metal. From what I've gathered, this band used to lean closer to the deathcore side of things - they should have stayed that way, I can't imagine it being any more unremarkable than this. Let's just put it this way; even if you haven't actually heard Gates Of Punishment before, you've heard it before.

Really, this band just lacks any identity, put this next to any number of bands and tell me the difference, it's tough. There is nothing that stands out whatsoever - it's got that squeeky-clean clear production already being overused by bands with a big enough studio budget, and the riffs are rarely anything to write home about. The only thing that sets Rose Funeral apart from the other 9000 bands doing the exact same thing, and only then by an insignificant degree, is the interludes that occasionally pop up. Interesting interludes you ask? Nope. A few seconds of acoustic or orchestral bits then it's back to business as usual. The latter half of the album has a bit of catchy, albeit equally unremarkable melodies tossed in here and there, but at that point, nothing can really save this album.

To be fair, the band has immense amounts of skill, they just suck at not sounding horribly generic. Hell, if I had never laid my ears upon death metal before, I might be a little impressed. Taken at face value, I suppose you could even go as far as saying this band is somewhat decent. The fact remains though, you can go through any metal website, or any metal label roster and find dozens of bands that sound indistinguishable from Rose Funeral.

It has it's moments, few as they are. Those who are comfortable with bland modern death metal will probably find immense enjoyment in this.

Written on 14.10.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 120 users
15.10.2011 - 00:49
Void Eater
Account deleted
Rose fUNOrol.

This album sounds like Whitechapel's This Is Exile, now with even more breakdowns. Most of the riffs sound just like they came out of a Carnifex album. And what the hell is Steve Tucker doing on one of their songs?
19.10.2011 - 23:27
brapp32

Sounds promising.
30.11.2011 - 08:00
BudDa

Listened to a couple of tracks. Its ok. I haven't listened to alot of Deathcore so I didn't really have enough to compare it too. I though don't see myself listening to the whole album. What I heard is enough
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
30.11.2011 - 08:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BudDa on 30.11.2011 at 08:00
I haven't listened to alot of Deathcore so I didn't really have enough to compare it too.

Well Rose Funeral is essentially the face of what is wrong with deathcore as a genre, so don't judge the entire scene based on this album. I mean, I'm no expert on the stuff, but people rant and rave about how good bands like Born of Osiris are, so you should check them out if you want a band more representative of deathcore's good qualities.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.11.2011 - 08:27
BudDa

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2011 at 08:09

people rant and rave about how good bands like Born of Osiris are, so you should check them out if you want a band more representative of deathcore's good qualities.

I have listened to Born Of Osiris. Didn't like them. Probably the problem is just with me coz alot of people seem to enjoy them. Guess then the whole deathcore thingy is just dead to me.
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
30.11.2011 - 08:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BudDa on 30.11.2011 at 08:27
Guess then the whole deathcore thingy is just dead to me.

Ya I've only come across one deathcore album so far that I enjoyed, and it was an EP I reviewed in the most recent Clandestine Cuts issue. Aside from that it's not exactly a genre we're missing out on.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 4456 | This month: 2