03. Dancing In The Temple Of The Mad Queen Bee
04. Waterwitch
05. The Lights Of Thebe
06. Psalms For The Dead
07. The Killing Of The Sun
08. Siren Song
09. Black As Time

Additional info
Recorded at B.A.M. Studios, Stockholm by Andreas Bauman during December 2011.
Mixed by Chris Laney at LaneyLand, Stockholm (also additional recordings and editing).
Special CD edition bonus DVD editing by Chris Laney and Mats "Mappe" Björkman.
Produced by Leif Edling and mastered by Sören von Malmborg at Cosmos.
Drumfix assistance by Rickard Gustavsson,

Cover artwork and graphics by Erik Rovanperä.

Guest review by
Head of Metal
Rating:
It's always terrifying when a widely respected band that's seemingly been around forever announces it's final studio album.

But if this is, in fact, the 12th and final record from the Swedish doom metal legends, fans can comfortably know that the band went out with the Candlemass spirit very much alive and well.

Read more ››
published 22.01.2014 | Comments (7)

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 50   Visited by: 629 users
15.10.2011 - 10:26
Jan

Great that there will be a new album. Not so great that it will be their last.

With DMD it seemed they where back big time - but perhaps things are not working out for them.

Anyway, better to end with a bang than a sizzle...
06.05.2012 - 19:21
Nocturno-Inculto

I just cannot waiiitttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!1
31.05.2012 - 06:50
Rating: 7
Chobo_jokeR

Other than the 1.5 minutes of god awful sound clip at the start of Black As Time, this is a pretty solid album.
31.05.2012 - 12:24
annodomini

An amazing swansong. Riffs just drives me crazy!
----
the riddle wants to be...
31.05.2012 - 14:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Thank God this band are being laid to rest before they become truly embarrassing. This is so far away from what they were once capable of it's not even funny. Absolute tosh.
05.06.2012 - 08:18
Rating: 8
The Melting Snow

Written by Guest on 31.05.2012 at 14:02

Thank God this band are being laid to rest before they become truly embarrassing. This is so far away from what they were once capable of it's not even funny. Absolute tosh.

now what's wrong with this album? i'm halfway through the 4th song, the riffs, solos, vocals pretty solid till yet. i'm enjoying
05.06.2012 - 22:57
The Melting Snow

Http://youtu.be/r1jq0Dto4HE

listen to the whole album here
06.06.2012 - 05:21
Rulatore

Quite weird, not sure if liked it, but seems a bit ok and I cant comparte it with the old material since this is my first time with them
06.06.2012 - 17:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't even think this can be called doom anymore. More like straight-up heavy metal. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.06.2012 - 10:42
The Melting Snow

Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.06.2012 at 17:53

I don't even think this can be called doom anymore. More like straight-up heavy metal. :/

as long as it's good, does the genre even matter? (that's what you said to me when i said at nightwish's album that it doesnt even sound like metal anymore), right back at ya :p
07.06.2012 - 15:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by The Melting Snow on 07.06.2012 at 10:42
as long as it's good, does the genre even matter? (that's what you said to me when i said at nightwish's album that it doesnt even sound like metal anymore), right back at ya :p

It was just an observation - and kind of a response of surprise considering their previous efforts were more purely rooted in doom. This time around the style is much more sped up and the atmosphere isn't nearly as depressive.

As for the similarity in our posts, I remember yours was about Nightwish no longer being metal - not being a different sub-genre.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.06.2012 - 16:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Damn this is extremely mediocre. No matter how you regard this, as doom or straight up heavy metal. For both genres it would be considered mediocre.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.06.2012 - 17:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.06.2012 at 16:20
For both genres it would be considered mediocre.

That was the ultimate point of my post. This could have been power metal or death metal and it still would have been bland.
----
10.06.2012 - 20:06
xdissectionx

Riffs and solos are pretty solid. Starting to sound more heavy stoner. Some awkward lyrics & flow make me cringe though.
----
10.06.2012 - 20:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by xdissectionx on 10.06.2012 at 20:06

Riffs and solos are pretty solid. Starting to sound more heavy stoner. Some awkward lyrics & flow make me cringe though.

stoner? Nogt a single hint of stoner in their current sound. It is more heavy metal/power metal nowadays.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.06.2012 - 13:41
jawbreaker

The weakest album with Lowe. Disappointed.
13.06.2012 - 12:58
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
It's the weakest album with Lowe, but I think it's still solid Doom/Heavy Metal, with songs like Dancing In The Temple and Psalms For The Dead being highlights. Really enjoy the weird 80-horror film-like tone of The Sound Of Dying Demons. Great riffs, great vocals. Very happy with this
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
14.06.2012 - 16:35
Rating: 9
Scuzzy McDouche

Wow, I've heard nothing but praise for this album until I came here to look at comments. I have to say that IMO you haters are out of your fucking minds. This album is awesome. Candlemass still retains their core sound they have had for decades, yet this time they have this darker oldschool metal element that reminds me of King Diamond and Mercyful Fate without ripping either of those bands off outright. In fact, I would go as far as to say this is the band's best work since Nightfall, and Robert Lowe's best performance as a vocalist since Solitude Aeutrnus - Through the Darkest Hour. What sucks is the fact that they have finally gotten their shit together, and now Rob leaves with this being their last studio album? WTF?!
14.06.2012 - 16:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Scuzzy McDouche on 14.06.2012 at 16:35
I have to say that IMO you haters are out of your fucking minds.

I'm so sorry some of us don't agree with you but there's no reason to call us haters specially if many of us here are fans of the bands. Jeez, people seem to overuse the word "hater" nowdays.
We just disagree, deal with it and peace!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.06.2012 - 16:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Scuzzy McDouche on 14.06.2012 at 16:35
I have to say that IMO you haters are out of your fucking minds.

Haters? I think the vast majority of users commenting here can actually be considered fans of the band... It's called being objective and not letting the big name alone impress you.
----
14.06.2012 - 18:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
How anyone can say this retains their core sound is beyond me. Candlemass used to be exceptional, epic traditional doom. This is neither epic or doom. Or good.
14.06.2012 - 18:56
musicalkaratekid

Alright album, but nothing special knowing that the band have made much, much better music before. The beginning to 'Black as Time' is ridiculously silly. The music itself isn't that bad however, guitar riffs seem to have more of a heavy metal influence than actual doom metal,but it still sounds bearable.
14.06.2012 - 19:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Wow that's fun being called a hater of Candlemass when in fact I am one of the biggest fans of the band here on MS and been a huge fan of theirs ever since Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was released.
If being a hater means that I don't swallow everything a band releases then so be it. This album is a really weak effort and contains NOTHING of the band's core sound, like JOOE said. This is middle of the road heavy metal with loads fof power influences for the gullible masses.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2012 - 20:14
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
It seems I already know the biggest letdown this year for me...
I don't mean to say that this album is bad but I see it as not only the weakest Candlemass album with Robert Lowe on vocals but also one of the weakest Candlemass albums of all time. The riffs and vocals parts sound more like a recycling of their previous works (but with more accent on heavy metal side) and are pretty unmemorable.
All in all, this album makes me very sad...
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
20.06.2012 - 14:14
IronAngel

Hmm... I'm growing to dislike this album more the more I listen to it. That's unusual, haha.

It's not garbage, but it's a disappointing swansong for a band that used to be one of the greatest in epic doom, or doom in general.

I do like Prophet, Waterwitch and Psalms for the Dead. I think the opener pulls off their more straightforward, catchier heavy metal approach very well, whereas the other two are a welcome in their heaviness. I actually like them a lot, now that I went back and listened to them more closely. Especially the title track.

Black as Time is not only a bad song to end a career with, the narration is one of the most embarassing in history. It's just so out-of-place and tacky. My forehead still hurts from all the facepalming.

Also, I do not like the solos on the album. Not that I've ever been a fan of most solos, but putting it out there anyway.
24.06.2012 - 05:06
Kinzoku

Was disappointed upon first listen. Put it aside for a couple days and revisited it. It's good except for Time is Black... what were they thinking?
03.07.2012 - 11:14
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Was song 3 written by Roger Glover?
Was the last track someone's stand up routine?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.07.2012 - 11:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by M C Vice on 03.07.2012 at 11:14

except for the title having a bee in it just like "Saffron Dormouse and Lizzy Bee" (which is song number 3 on the Roger loer & Friends album) I can't see any connection.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2012 - 11:29
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 11:25

Written by M C Vice on 03.07.2012 at 11:14

except for the title having a bee in it just like "Saffron Dormouse and Lizzy Bee" (which is song number 3 on the Roger loer & Friends album) I can't see any connection.

I sounds like it could be from The Butterfly Ball. Dancing with a bee and all that.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.07.2012 - 11:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by M C Vice on 03.07.2012 at 11:29

I sounds like it could be from The Butterfly Ball. Dancing with a bee and all that.

But not musically
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 14271 | This month: 39