03. Immaculate Rancidity
04. The Bullets Beckon
05. Crucifiend
06. Widowmaker
07. Tools Of Termination
08. Blood Clotted Eyes
09. Larvaeon
10. Deviance

Damn I wasn't expecting this album to be this great, that's a good thing actually because this fact powered the shocking element and it doubled the surprise indeed.

Deviant plays Death Metal in a very aggressive and chaotic way; they show us that Sweden is not just a place for fruity bands like In Flames or Arch Enemy; on the contrary, this Swedish band is everything but mild, their music is brutal as only hell can be and their execution is so tight that it will surely impress every listener instantly. What's even better is the fact that Deviant is not your regular Brutal band doing muddy riffs and jammed patterns just for the sake of being the most brutal band on earth; this band is more about breaking that very scheme and then they become aggressive in their execution but intelligent in their songwriting.

The songs are packed with catchy riffs and some intricate structures (nothing really out of this planet but still very good); the half-hour of brutality passes by with crushing power and strength, while the arrangements create music that is easy on the ear yet very hostile. The musicianship is a big plus (except for the bass which is the only turn-off) the vocal-work is top-notch, both guitars do a very good job, and I actually can't remember the last time a drummer shocked me from the beginning to the end of an album, this guy is not the fastest most complex drummer of course, but his beats are powerful neck-breakers wrapped in breakdowns and tense changes.

This is just way good to be a debut album, even the production is clean and the artwork is kind of interesting, what else can you possibly want from a young band like [bDeviant[/b]? When these guys finally polish their sound and add more technicalities in their music they'll surely serve us a total masterpiece no doubt. Though Larvaeon won't fit in the fruity collections packed with gay bands like H.I.M or Nightwish I can see the true Metal-Heads buying this album and adding it to their brutal bands collection next to Suffocation, Immolaton, Cryptopsy or any good Death Metal band that pops into your mind right now.

Way Recommended!!

Best Tracks: "Larvaeon", "Deviance", "The Bullets Beckon"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 08.10.2006

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 9 users
08.10.2006 - 11:39
Thorein
Account deleted
Well , this is a well written review, but Herzebeth, I really fail too see why one isn't allowed, in your opinion, to love bands as nightwish, and cryptopsy or aborted or morbid angel at the same time.
So I don't get categorised as a true metaller? And I hope, with gay, you mean 'happy'.. or your review would have a serious dicriminating aspect.
Aside from that, I am looking forward to give this album a listen
08.10.2006 - 12:10
Basso
Account deleted
The samples where amazing. Will probably check this out
08.10.2006 - 23:44
Herzebeth

Written by Guest on 08.10.2006 at 11:39

Well , this is a well written review, but Herzebeth, I really fail too see why one isn't allowed, in your opinion, to love bands as nightwish, and cryptopsy or aborted or morbid angel at the same time.
So I don't get categorised as a true metaller? And I hope, with gay, you mean 'happy'.. or your review would have a serious dicriminating aspect.
Aside from that, I am looking forward to give this album a listen

Don't worry man...I use the word "Gay" a lot and I always get shit about it...but I tell you what I tell the other bunch?it's just a review man!! And yes...as you said?I use Gay to imply happiness enjoy the album!!!

by the way Discrimination applies only to the ones wrapped with prejudice and that jump into conclusions without remembering that words are just words and not a concept my friend?
----
12.10.2006 - 00:10
abraxas
Account deleted
wasnt this released like last year?
12.10.2006 - 05:43
Herzebeth

Written by Guest on 12.10.2006 at 00:10

wasnt this released like last year?

oh yeah...sorry...I'll change the date later.
----

Hits total: 3900 | This month: 2