Metal Storm logo
Locrian

19.10.2011 - 06:04
spirit_inblack
harshhead
These guys have exploded onto the scene in only the last few years releasing many limited tapes, a number of collaborations, and a few full-lengths (three studio albums). As far as categorization goes, Locrian cannot be called anything in particular, but a mesh-work of drone, black metal, noise, dark ambient, and (very subdued) power electronics. The most metallic of their releases include their first studio album, Drenched Lands, and their second studio album, Territories (the latter features guest appearances by experimental metal musicians such as Bruce Lamont of Yakuza and Blake Judd from Nachtmystium). Very psychedelic music with themes of urban decay and the destruction of landscapes with VERY amazing artwork.

19.10.2011 - 13:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Great stuff is Locrian, I haven't yet given them my full attention though. Territories and The Crystal World are on Spotify though so I'll give them a couple of going-overs each to properly absorb them. When you say subdued power electronics do you mean death industrial?
19.10.2011 - 16:21
Slayer666
O_O

Nice. Not something I'll listen to on my way to school or whatnot, but will those albums a listen when I'm duty-free and properly focused.
19.10.2011 - 16:29
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Guest on 19.10.2011 at 13:55

Great stuff is Locrian, I haven't yet given them my full attention though. Territories and The Crystal World are on Spotify though so I'll give them a couple of going-overs each to properly absorb them. When you say subdued power electronics do you mean death industrial?

I was meaning that they really aren't using full-blown junk metal with the sort of screaming that one would hear in Sutcliffe Jugend or Whitehouse. The vocals kind of remind me of power electronics in Locrian though, but less extreme. Probably because the vocalist isn't screaming about his dick being on fire. That kind of clicky noise that randomly skips around in Inverted Ruins also seems like something I've heard in some power electronics before, like Cremation Lily (although it is noise, so it is probably just some noise thing, but I have heard it in the background of a few PE songs).

Also, something to add - they often have their tracks played backwards. In particular, this works well with Rain of Ashes, which becomes Sehsa Fo Niar, and is just as good played in reverse - something some other drone bands should try imo.
19.10.2011 - 16:47
Vombatus
Potorro
Sweeeet. I'm trying to make my project sound something similar to this (maybe focusing more on Sunn o)))-ish guitars/stalaggh voices)... gonna check out more for inspiration
19.10.2011 - 17:07
spirit_inblack
harshhead
^Good to hear. I should have pointed this out before, but they do have a bandcamp where you can stream/buy the three studio albums (Drenched Lands, Territories, & The Crystal World) and also a track from the upcoming LP. here

About the new LP: "Recommended if you like: Yes - Relayer LP, Throbbing Gristle, La Monte Young, Hive Mind, Burzum - Aske LP"
21.10.2011 - 22:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Dunno if you know but Locrian released a collaborative LP called New Dominions this year with the ridiculously awesome Horseback. It's a bit good.

The cover art is pure sex:

23.10.2011 - 16:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
From what contry band comes from?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.10.2011 - 20:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 23.10.2011 at 16:54

From what contry band comes from?

The US.
09.11.2011 - 19:15
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I haven't heard the Locrian/Horseback collab yet, but yeah, that cover art does make me want to check it out something terrible. Also, a few things I should mention for interested parties.

Firstly, the label run by the members of Locrian, Land of Decay, is releasing a cassette of Servile Sect demos (the pre-Stratospheric Passenger days), which I am very excited to get ahold of (the art is pretty brilliant for a tape, and is done by Kevin from Sutekh Hexen).

Secondly, Locrian has now released their newest full-length, "The Clearing."

Thirdly/lastly, everyone's favorite label Profound Lore Records (who only ever put out quality releases) is releasing a Mamiffer/Locrian collab, due out late winter/early spring 2012.
09.11.2011 - 19:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 09.11.2011 at 19:15

I haven't heard the Locrian/Horseback collab yet, but yeah, that cover art does make me want to check it out something terrible. Also, a few things I should mention for interested parties.

Firstly, the label run by the members of Locrian, Land of Decay, is releasing a cassette of Servile Sect demos (the pre-Stratospheric Passenger days), which I am very excited to get ahold of (the art is pretty brilliant for a tape, and is done by Kevin from Sutekh Hexen).

Secondly, Locrian has now released their newest full-length, "The Clearing."

Thirdly/lastly, everyone's favorite label Profound Lore Records (who only ever put out quality releases) is releasing a Mamiffer/Locrian collab, due out late winter/early spring 2012.

Servile Sect demos? That sounds seriously exciting. I used to follow them on Myspace when they were called Servile Sun and their music back then sounded great (at least I think it did, it must have been 6 or more years ago, way before I found my love of obscure stuff). Maybe some of the demo stuff will include stuff from when they were Servile Sun.

I've seen the Mamiffer/Locrian thing mentioned a couple of times today so that should be good.

I actually stumbled on a review for the new Locrian a few hours ago when I was browsing through Pitchfork's reviews (don't worry, it's the first and last time I'll spend any reasonable amount of time on the Pitchform website). Looking forward to listening to it anyhoo.
12.11.2011 - 03:14
Savopipo
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
05.01.2012 - 19:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Track from the upcoming collab with Mamiffer. Tis rather nice indeed:

http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/12931-in-fulminic-blaze/