Metal Storm logo
Discuss Films You've Watched Recently (Spoilers Will Be Deleted)

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 13.01.2015 - 03:05
SWAT - Firefight
Nice modern film about modernized military type of SWAT team in Boston, like it, nice new film, nice woman in cop team
31.10.2021 - 15:02
Metren
Dreadrealm
The Trial Of The Chicago 7 (2020)

Better than A Few Good Men (been awhile since I saw that one), but nowhere near as good as The Social Network. While this was my first time seeing the film, I doubt that repeat-viewings will change my feelings, even though films written by Sorkin always benefit from being seen a second or third time. “Chicago 7…” is a much more comedic and sentimental film than the other two Aaron Sorkin “court/debate movies” too. I’d recommend the film to those who like courtroom dramas or films based on true events or anyone who’s simply into films that rely heavily on well-crafted dialogue. Just don’t expect this to be as good as The Social Network, it’s missing the touch of both Reznor and Fincher.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
04.11.2021 - 15:59
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Zap on 29.10.2021 at 11:02

Exactly, I miss leitmotifs in today's blockbusters.

Thomas Flight's video defending/praising Dune's score in his typical in-depth and well-articulated manner:

I still don't like the score, but Flight offers an interesting alternative perspective, entertaining and enlightening in the process.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
04.11.2021 - 16:00
Zap
Written by Metren on 04.11.2021 at 15:59

Thomas Flight's video defending/praising Dune's score in his typical in-depth and well-articulated manner:

I still don't like the score, but Flight offers an interesting alternative perspective, entertaining and enlightening in the process.

Cheers, something to watch during work
07.11.2021 - 10:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Braven - Cool movie, action one made in a cabin in a mountains, during winter time. I like those happenings. Snow and so on ,. One truth there was if you get wet in winter as fall in water get rid of wet clouts, take a dry, otherwise you freeze too death

Lawless - Movie inspired from real events about moonshine in 30's ... moonshiners are not criminals they are people what needs survive and find way get money. Anyway how all went in real life we don't know, but things here are made based on real events
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.11.2021 - 11:57
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Bad English on 07.11.2021 at 10:07

Braven - Cool movie, action one made in a cabin in a mountains, during winter time. I like those happenings. Snow and so on ,. One truth there was if you get wet in winter as fall in water get rid of wet clouts, take a dry, otherwise you freeze too death

Lawless - Movie inspired from real events about moonshine in 30's ... moonshiners are not criminals they are people what needs survive and find way get money. Anyway how all went in real life we don't know, but things here are made based on real events

Is Braven who you inspire to be?
07.11.2021 - 11:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 07.11.2021 at 11:57

Written by Bad English on 07.11.2021 at 10:07

Is Braven who you inspire to be?

No, but he had good condition,
----

apos;'
[image]
04.12.2021 - 22:11
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Huh... Vaguely related, but... After all this time there's a new Harry Potter movie coming?
And they are going to pick the same actor?

I find that... Weird
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.12.2021 - 12:36
Metren
Dreadrealm
Portrait of a Lady On Fire (2019)

A painfully beautiful and beautifully painful love story, magnificently acted and gorgeously shot. The choice to have almost no music (with two crucial scenes as exceptions) in the entire film worked brilliantly for the narrative, setting and tone of the film. The most satisfyingly bittersweet last shot in a film since The Godfather Part II. I heartily recommend this one to anyone even slightly interested in cinema.
----
12.12.2021 - 23:00
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Jared Leto in House Of Gucci was... something else.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
21.01.2022 - 12:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Black Dog - My respect and tribute to Meat Loaf and great Patrik Sweazy (his best was Road house and clashes of kin) but this is not bad. Truckers and crime,,,,,good old Led Zeppelin song.
----

apos;'
[image]
09.02.2022 - 13:40
Metren
Dreadrealm
The Power Of The Dog

Incredible film. The cinematography is out of this world and the lighting is almost distractingly perfect for each scene. The first half may be a bit of a “slow burn” for some, but I appreciated the subdued or minimalistic nature of the emotions the story and characters were expressing. It’s a film that truly commands the viewer’s attention and rewards it. The performances are fantastic, except for Cumberbatch, who’s the weakest link (as per usual), though he’s still serviceable. I can’t figure out why he’s so universally beloved and praised. Besides the direction, cinematography and performances, the film uses music incredibly well, with both the score and pieces of music being actually played by the characters playing a big role in the storytelling and characterization. I haven’t seen all the Best Picture nominees yet, but I call bullshit if Dune, for example, ends up winning over The Power Of The Dog. This film’s a masterpiece.
----
09.02.2022 - 13:46
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by RaduP on 12.12.2021 at 23:00

Normally I can't stomach Leto, but I just watched Mr. Nobody and loved him in it. Great film too.
----
09.02.2022 - 13:48
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Metren on 09.02.2022 at 13:46

Written by RaduP on 12.12.2021 at 23:00

Normally I can't stomach Leto, but I just watched Mr. Nobody and loved him in it. Great film too.

He can be really good. And I normally have no issue with him. Requiem For A Dream is probably my fav of his.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
09.02.2022 - 13:51
no one
Written by Metren on 09.02.2022 at 13:40

The Power Of The Dog

Incredible film. The cinematography is out of this world and the lighting is almost distractingly perfect for each scene. The first half may be a bit of a “slow burn” for some, but I appreciated the subdued or minimalistic nature of the emotions the story and characters were expressing. It’s a film that truly commands the viewer’s attention and rewards it. The performances are fantastic, except for Cumberbatch, who’s the weakest link (as per usual), though he’s still serviceable. I can’t figure out why he’s so universally beloved and praised. Besides the direction, cinematography and performances, the film uses music incredibly well, with both the score and pieces of music being actually played by the characters playing a big role in the storytelling and characterization. I haven’t seen all the Best Picture nominees yet, but I call bullshit if Dune, for example, ends up winning over The Power Of The Dog. This film’s a masterpiece.

I'll have to watch that, nz media is blowing there load atm because a new zealander directed it
----
Unable to connect to the database
09.02.2022 - 13:59
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by RaduP on 09.02.2022 at 13:48

He can be really good. And I normally have no issue with him. Requiem For A Dream is probably my fav of his.

I also liked him in Requiem For A Dream. I don't know why I don't like him in most other stuff though. BR 2049 wasn't his fault, for example. The character was a total cartoon. I may need to re-evaluate my opinion of Leto. He may be no Leto Atreides II, but he can be good, like you said.
----
20.04.2022 - 08:25
no one
Metal lords.

Did I....did I just watch a teenager movie.
----
29.04.2022 - 17:53
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I just rewatched Steven Spielberg's movie adaptation of The Adventures of Tintin and was reminded how phenomenal it is!
As a kid I grew up reading the Tintin comic books by Hergé (translated into German), and I'm so glad that Spielberg not only realized the potential of these action-packed, humorous detective-adventure stories, but was also able to faithfully adapt it into a motion-capture animated masterpiece of cinema!

The movie came out 2011 but still looks incredibly realistic! There are so many breathtaking details, such fantastic cinematography - the action sequences flow so well, the characters really make their comic book origins come to life - the music by John Williams is super epic... man, this right here is a 100% perfect movie!

Sadly the American audiences couldn't appreciate the movie (probably because the comics were more well-known in Europe) and therefore there haven't been any sequel movies made despite there being so many fantastic stories to choose from !!!

Oh well. If this is the only Tintin movie we're going to get that's more than fine because this single movie was such a perfect tribute: encapsulating the energy and feeling of the original comic, staying true to characters, and full of awesome easter eggs for a fan like me to geek-out over

I'd be interested to see if anyone else here is a fan of Tintin. And if you're not, I definitely recommend checking out the comic books or the movie!
29.04.2022 - 20:01
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by F3ynman2000 on 29.04.2022 at 17:53

I just rewatched Steven Spielberg's movie adaptation of The Adventures of Tintin and was reminded how phenomenal it is!
As a kid I grew up reading the Tintin comic books by Hergé (translated into German), and I'm so glad that Spielberg not only realized the potential of these action-packed, humorous detective-adventure stories, but was also able to faithfully adapt it into a motion-capture animated masterpiece of cinema! *

I have not seen that movie ever since it came out but I remember that it was really great, I also grew up reading Tintin a lot and it felt like a very faithful adaptation from what I remember.
29.04.2022 - 20:05
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Roman Doez on 29.04.2022 at 20:01

I have not seen that movie ever since it came out but I remember that it was really great, I also grew up reading Tintin a lot and it felt like a very faithful adaptation from what I remember.

Awesome! You should definitely watch it again - you'll have a field day with all the easter eggs. And I was truly astounded at how beautifully it is animated
06.05.2022 - 12:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ice road - Inspired from ''real events'' well like ice roads, lake Michigan hehehe , Yukon and north Canada, Russia, Sweden, Alaska, ice roads for trucks are real, so it was cool to see. I have not watched series on discovery for few years. Well I am often on ice december- april , I like it.
----

apos;'
[image]
08.05.2022 - 14:42
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I just watched Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones for the first time in forever. And I've got to say: it's totally underrated!

I'll talk about 3 things that make this movie great: Anakin Skywalker, Action, and World-Building
(I know I'm not supposed to give spoilers, but I hope these aren't really major spoilers - I mean who doesn't know the story of Star Wars?)

1. Anakin: Hayden Christensen got so much criticism for his role - and it's completely undeserved! He portrays a boy who's lived his childhood as a slave, the only person who ever cared about him was his mother. He's been living the life of a monk for 10 years and now he finally meets the girl of his dreams again - do you think you could give Shakespearean speeches while standing in front of her?

His fall to the Dark Side is set up so well. When I first watched Episode III as a kid, I thought "he's so stupid: why is he joining evil Palpatine and going against the good Jedi?". But now watching this movie again it makes his "fall" totally reasonable. The Jedi are narrow-minded, prideful and emotionless. Obi-Wan keeps lecturing him and criticising him, emphasizing that he's "only a Padawan" and never thanking him when he saves him multiple times.

I believe the problem is that Anakin lacks a father figure which he desperately needs. He says twice in the movie that Obi-Wan is like a father to him. But as Obi-Wan says in Episode III, "you were my brother, Anakin!". While Anakin needs an emotionally supportive father-figure, Obi-Wan treats him like a competitive brother.
That role of a father is inevitably filled by Chancellor Palpatine, who honestly is the only person who verbally gives him praise, trusts him, and encourages him. Even Padme argues with him and even says in front of some other Naboo officials who asked for his opinion, "he's not a Jedi Master". Add to that watching his mother die in his arms - no wonder Anakin becomes an emotional wreck, filled with hate and passion, and only sees Palpatine as a loving ally.

I'm telling you, regardless of the "I don't like sand" jokes, George Lucas is a master at storytelling!

2. Action: In addition to the emotional story, this movie offers such a great variety of action scenes:
High-speed spaceship chase in a bustling metropolis, fighting a skilled bounty hunter, an explosion-filled chase through an asteroid field, dodging obstacles in a droid factory, fighting for their lives in a Colosseum-style arena, having countless Jedi fighting side-by-side against a droid army, massive clone armies fighting the droid armies in an aerial and ground-based assault, and finally not one but two lightsaber duels! Other than Episode III, I don't think there have ever been more action scenes in a Star Wars movie - and yet they can still tell such a compelling and emotional story!

3. World-Building: Unlike the newest sequel trilogy, the prequel movies were able to take the source material and expand upon it, making a rich, diverse world that feels truly alive. You have insights into Yoda teaching Jedi Younglings, the Jedi Archives, daily life in Coruscant (Dexter's Diner), the case of a fallen Jedi (Count Dooku), the cloning facilities on Kamino, the growing political and economic feud between the Republic and seceding Separtists, the winged bug-like inhabitants of Geonosis, diverse monster-creautes used in the arena, beautiful landscapes of Naboo countryside, ...
Bounty hunters make a reappearance (last seen in Empire Strikes Back) and they aren't just senseless cameos - we get to see more of their resourcefulness: poisoned darts, poisonous eels, shape-shifting capabilities, seismic bombs, lassoes, flamethrowers...

All of these things help build up this incredible world, without recycling old tropes and without ruining the source material (as they sadly did in the sequels).

In conclusion, I hope I have been able to convince you guys that Attack of the Clones is severely underrated. While it may be not as flawless as the original trilogy, the prequels beautifully build upon this diverse world and are cunningly able to tell the story of the fall of a once glorious age.
And for those of you who are still skeptical, go watch Episode II again! I guarantee you'll have fun and maybe even shed a tear
08.05.2022 - 20:36
IronAngel
Written by F3ynman2000 on 08.05.2022 at 14:42

I just watched Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones for the first time in forever. And I've got to say: it's totally underrated!

I remember liking it for the world-building, as a kid. We got to see more of the jedi than ever before. (Also part of what made both KOTORs such great games.) I haven't seen it since, but I'm in the process of watching Clone Wars and meaning to watch it to refresh my memory. The fact that the film set up such a great show is justification enough.
08.05.2022 - 21:05
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by IronAngel on 08.05.2022 at 20:36

I remember liking it for the world-building, as a kid. We got to see more of the jedi than ever before. (Also part of what made both KOTORs such great games.) I haven't seen it since, but I'm in the process of watching Clone Wars and meaning to watch it to refresh my memory. The fact that the film set up such a great show is justification enough.

Yeah the Clone Wars makes the prequels even better! That show fleshed out Anakin's fall as well as introducing tons of memorable characters: Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Hondo, Darth Maul, Asajj Ventress, and all the Clones' personalities of course!

But I was pleasantly surprised when I watched the movies again how great they are by themselves as well.
08.05.2022 - 22:28
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

1. Anakin: Hayden Christensen got so much criticism for his role - and it's completely undeserved! He portrays a boy who's lived his childhood as a slave, the only person who ever cared about him was his mother. He's been living the life of a monk for 10 years and now he finally meets the girl of his dreams again - do you think you could give Shakespearean speeches while standing in front of her?

His fall to the Dark Side is set up so well. When I first watched Episode III as a kid, I thought "he's so stupid: why is he joining evil Palpatine and going against the good Jedi?". But now watching this movie again it makes his "fall" totally reasonable. The Jedi are narrow-minded, prideful and emotionless. Obi-Wan keeps lecturing him and criticising him, emphasizing that he's "only a Padawan" and never thanking him when he saves him multiple times.

I believe the problem is that Anakin lacks a father figure which he desperately needs. He says twice in the movie that Obi-Wan is like a father to him. But as Obi-Wan says in Episode III, "you were my brother, Anakin!". While Anakin needs an emotionally supportive father-figure, Obi-Wan treats him like a competitive brother.
That role of a father is inevitably filled by Chancellor Palpatine, who honestly is the only person who verbally gives him praise, trusts him, and encourages him. Even Padme argues with him and even says in front of some other Naboo officials who asked for his opinion, "he's not a Jedi Master". Add to that watching his mother die in his arms - no wonder Anakin becomes an emotional wreck, filled with hate and passion, and only sees Palpatine as a loving ally.

Quote from Star Wars: Betrayal about Anakin: (Brisha Syo talking to Jacen Solo.) "Vader wasn't a galaxy-conquering psychopath. He was a sad man who's one love in life had died, and who's one anchor to the world of the living was, yes, a galaxy-conquering madman. Palpatine."
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.05.2022 - 00:04
IronAngel
Everything Everywhere All At Once was just as good as the hype predicted. It was slightly overlong, the emotional impact of the action sequence/climax at the end was somewhat diluted by going on for so long, and some of the dialogue about meaning and meaninglessness was awkwardly light-weight life lessons, so it wasn't quite a 5-star film. But it's still in a very small group of the greatest action films I've seen, and easily the most moving. Perfect casting and performances, fantastic visually, and I really appreciate how it was earnest and perfectly sincere despite its absurdity.

By chance, I watched Moonrise Kingdom the previous night, and they went together extremely well. I could pay it much the same compliments about earnestness, performances etc. Both have a wholesome emotional and ethical core, are visually stunning, funny, and are film geeks' films in that they pay homage to genres that aren't always considered so prestigious. I've seen Darjeeling and Grand Budapest Hotel previously, and this was my favorite Wes Anderson so far. The other two are a bit too constructed, self-conscious and wry about it.

New Emma. (2020) was pretty good too. Pretty, especially. Best-looking film in this genre, in fact. Emma's my favourite Austen heroine, and although the book is not as tightly plotted as P&P or Persuasion, the condensed feature film did it justice. Most of the casting was really good. Still, Anya Taylor-Joy is no Romola Garai (one of the best novel adaptation performances ever) and furry, chill Johnny Flynn does not have the stuck-up sterness required of Knightley. Also, the humour was exaggerated and alternated with saccharine romance, whereas Austen's charm is intertwining the two so the supposedly romantic is simultaneously ridiculous. This seemd to drive home the comedy for those who've never realized Austen isn't romance.
18.05.2022 - 09:10
nikarg
Staff
Ok, I watched Metal Lords last night. It was mildly funny at times but overall a very, very poor film in terms of scenario, acting, directing, and generally anything you look for in a film. And I am not even talking about the ridiculous clichés. Anyway, I was impressed that the producers convinced Scott Ian, Kirk Hammett, Tom Morello, and Rob Halford to be in it, even for a few seconds. The scene they are in is the very definition of though.
18.05.2022 - 09:42
no one
Written by nikarg on 18.05.2022 at 09:10

I was impressed that the producers convinced Scott Ian, Kirk Hammett, Tom Morello, and Rob Halford to be in it, even for a few seconds. The scene they are in is the very definition of though.

I felt embarrassed for them
----
18.05.2022 - 18:43
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Watched the K-ON movie last night, just as good as the show, which is to say very. Loved it.
08.06.2022 - 18:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
R-R-R. 3 hour Indian flick. Carve out the time and watch it if you like spectacle and over the top action. Really enjoyed it.

----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.06.2022 - 22:24
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Roman Doez on 18.05.2022 at 18:43

Watched the K-ON movie last night, just as good as the show, which is to say very. Loved it.

Oh boy, this anime is so good
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei