04. Descending Abomination
05. The Extremist
06. The Sword Of Orion
07. Violentia Gladiatore
08. Rise And Confront
09. Extinção Em Massa
10. Shadows Of Betrayal
11. Black Force Domain [re-recorded version] [bonus]

From time to time albums come along such as The Great Execution to test the faith, or provoke reflection as to what you are actually looking for in your music. Judging from history it would be fair to assume that anyone slotting a Krisiun album into their playlist would be craving a healthy dose of straight-forward, mindless death metal blasting. For the three brother's lengthy history together in this band, Krisiun have only had one gear; fast. Now three years since the band's last album, Krisiun have developed another gear; mid-pace.

The Great Execution is still very much a Krisiun album. It contains all the hallmarks their catalogue of blast-fest albums boast, but on this album it is all spread out and somewhat diluted on a surprisingly long album that stretches over an hour in length. Indeed, Krisiun have subtly changed. By no means is this another Cryptopsy or Morbid Angel affair, but these subtleties may be just a little off-putting if you came here hoping for another Southern Storm.

While Conquerors Of Armageddon may be a suitable choice if you feel the need to murder someone, The Great Execution provides an alternative option for a less intense listen, but equally satisfying in a more controlled and reserved way. The Great Execution is a great release if you like to sit down and appreciate your death metal with a glass of wine - but at the end of the day, the unavoidable fact is that this album just does not hit the violent, primitive spot that Krisiun's past albums have - and for that reason just instinctively feels not right.

Krisiun have noticeably upped their game in the technical department. While half of this album may be at a mid-pace in an attempt to add a new dimension, the other half is still most certainly the frantic blast-affair we have come to expect and crave from this band. There is no arguing with tracks like "The Extremist", and title track "The Great Execution" is actually a fantastic example of the use of both gears too. Again there's another snag though; as soon as you hit the play button on this album, the comparatively light-sounding production while clean, just sounds unnatural and out of place.

The Great Execution is a sign of the three brothers wanting to become more than just a quick blast of a one-night-stand; they want to become the real thing - the complete package. The Great Execution is a good album with some jaw-dropping moments, but the reoccurring impression is that it feels just too watered down a little too often. Barring a few overly drawn-out moments however, Krisiun have delivered the goods again.

--

Death metal
Brazil
Length: 1:01:57
Century Media

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 28.10.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 303 users
28.10.2011 - 18:07
JD
Account deleted
I totally forgot about this album, now it's leaked and got reviewed...tsk tsk
28.10.2011 - 18:17
Rating: 9
Dani5050
I pre-order it let's see how it turns out. . Very nice review.
28.10.2011 - 20:57
Rating: 7
Rulatore
Written by Guest on 28.10.2011 at 18:07

now it's leaked and got reviewed...tsk tsk

where ?
28.10.2011 - 21:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Released on the same day as Lulu?

I'll definitely be listening to this. Even their bad albums are good.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.10.2011 - 22:49
Absak
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.10.2011 at 21:35

Released on the same day as Lulu?

I'll definitely be listening to this. Even their bad albums are good.

I have to disagree on that. I thought AssassiNation was a piece of crap.
28.10.2011 - 22:55
Rating: 9
Misfit74
I read that they used all Analogue gear for this album. Interesting that the production is deemed poor - that's the sound the band wanted to have and maybe not understanding that leads to confusion in the review. I prefer the digital productions more and do think that the analogue production of this album on the tracks I've heard so far is a step down. But then again: that's how Krisiun wanted it. *shrug*
29.10.2011 - 18:35
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
I'm intrigued enough and I love Krisiun so I'm def going to get this album...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

30.10.2011 - 14:37
Written by psykometal on 29.10.2011 at 18:35

I'm intrigued enough and I love Krisiun so I'm def going to get this album...

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.
30.10.2011 - 15:49
I've only heard a couple of the tracks that are available from Youtube and will have to give this album a proper listen. I never been a huge fan of the band and I think the shift in their sound is actually a good one, although there are probably a bunch of fans of the older stuff that are pissed off.
Also, what is the deal with death metal albums releasing lately that have ultra-long run times?
20.03.2012 - 14:47
sepulkisser
Since "Conquerors" I follow them... But since "AssassiNation" simply: I LOVE KRISIUN!!!
This album is really awesome..... Good job Kolenses!!!

Hits total: 11033 | This month: 15