06. Don't Tread On Me
07. Through The Never
08. Nothing Else Matters
09. Of Wolf And Man
10. The God That Failed
11. My Friend Of Misery
12. The Struggle Within
13. So What [Anti-Nowhere League cover] [Japanese bonus]

Even though Metallica became more known to a wider audience in 1986 with the release of Master of Puppets, "The Black Album" (released in 1991) however, was the biggest break point for Metallica. It was praised by reviewers and musicians, it stunned many fans then and also now. With the "Black Album" their old thrashy sound was abandoned and Metallica was literally shot into superstardom. With commercial hits such as "Enter Sandman" and the widely known "Nothing Else Matters", Metallica's music became more and more accessible to radio stations and television. But as I said, I still believe it's a "must have". "The Black Album" was major break point in the rock music business and the influence of it and Metallica in general is just impossible not to notice. Not only does it differ musically from the previous four releases, this album is also lyrically much more personal and therefore occasionally softer. Still, Metallica hasn't lost their touch and the aggressive guitar sound is still there.

The immortal riff of "Enter Sandman", the gentle "Nothing Else Matters" and "The Unforgiven", and of course, the aggressive tunes of "Sad But True" and "Wherever I May Roam" - this albums offers a true hard rock journey. The production of the album was taken on a higher level with the coming of Bob Rock as almost the fifth member of Metallica. "The Black Album" gives you Metallica as an entity, with the perfect sound of the bass. Also James Hetfield's vocals became more arranged and accurate, which is for some a treat - some still prefer the distorted voice he used to have. The next thing added was the acoustic guitar, noticeable in the charming (I never knew this word could be used when talking about Metallica!) "The Unforgiven", which we heard before in smaller amounts in ''Fade To Black'' and ''One'' for example. Also, Michael Kamen did the orchestral part for "Nothing Else Matters". And there is one more thing I just have to mention - the drumming. Listening to "Of Wolf And Man" or the intro to "The Struggle Within" just unplugs my ears and brains from all the sounds other than Lars Ulrich's drums.

So when you come to the end of the journey through "The Black Album" you see that it's not all about Hammett's riff in "Enter Sandman" or the melancholy in "Nothing Else Matters". Each and every song is a small masterpiece that in the end creates "The Black Album". Whether you're looking for hard riffs, loud drums or something a bit more tender, this album has it. "The Black Album" has it all - and nothing else matters.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by AnGina-- | 07.10.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Like far too many people in this world, I was largely introduced to Metallica by their self-titled album, fueled by the super mega platinum #1 smash hit single "Enter Sandman." In fact, Metallica, known colloquially as "The Black Album" for its presumably Spinal Tap-inspired artwork, was, in fact, one of the first Metal albums that really resonated with me and warranted repeated listens. Even so, I cannot confess to having much of a sentimental connection with this album, because, after exploring the wide world of heavy metal and acquainting myself with REAL Metallica, it has become clear to me that this album is nothing special.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2012 | Comments (20)

Comments

Comments: 53   Visited by: 307 users
09.10.2006 - 20:47
Rating: 10
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
One of the best album in the hystory of Music... No words can describe this extraordinary opus!
I'd have given a 10 also in songwriting. Anyway, good review, I agree with you
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
10.10.2006 - 00:13
Rating: 4
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
What a horrible album. These guys sold out so bad it's more laughable than sad. Even when I try listening to this without thinking about how much better they were back in the day (I'm still not really a fan though) I don't like it.
10.10.2006 - 08:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 10.10.2006 at 00:13

What a horrible album. These guys sold out so bad it's more laughable than sad.

well, this is where Bob Rock's influence was already too big. He even fucking co-wrote the songs and wrote the basslines. FFS the guy is a producer and should just stick to that. one thing has to be said, the sound of this album is extraoridnary and was copied by many a band afterwards.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2006 - 10:55
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Man, Master of Pupptes was realesed in 1986... not in 1984. Correct that!!!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.11.2006 - 12:39
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Oh my bad I'm really sorry, I know that MoP was born in the same year as me so I don't know how I could make such a mistake. I'll try to correct it, thank you.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
12.11.2006 - 13:46
Rating: 7
Valentin B
Iconoclast
this is quite possibly the most controversial album in hard rock history. i personally think it is good but the commerciality is there: you can't deny it. nothing else matters is just so soft, it could have been performed by the backstreet boys and doesn't have 0.001% of the aggresion of, let's say... metal militia?
the same thing goes for the unforgiven, although the batman video for it is pretty cool.
and it has filler: holier than thou, the god that failed, my friend of misery
good tracks: enter sandman, sad but true, wherever i may roam, through the never, of wolf and man
tracks i wouldn't have put on the record: nothing else matters, the unforgiven, and the filler songs listed above
all in all i'd give it a 7
don't forget their debut, which i think is their best album: uber-thrash, monster riffs and that damn bass solo!
03.12.2006 - 13:43
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Most of the songs are really good and I love the bass melody in My Friend Of Misery. But this is also a sold-out record, for which I blame Bob Rock. I'd also compare this album to St. Anger.. Both aren't so metal, but not so far from it either. I think the Black Album is a gate away from metal, and St. Anger is the gate back in. But that's just what I think.
23.12.2006 - 13:19
homas
Account deleted
A True Sold Out Album .
The main problem with it , is that it is not a metal album anyway .
I think 7 is enough for it and no more .
23.12.2006 - 22:58
Bitch Boy

Here it is: many metalheads say that this was the first album of the sold out Metallica, but for me is one of the best of the band. It has many excellent songs: "Nothing else matters", "Sad but true", "The Unforgiven", "Enter Sadman"... But I think the rate is too high, I would give this one a 8
27.12.2006 - 22:16
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Wearing their influences on their sleeves, Metallica play a generally Thrashy Hard Rock brand of Metal, with interwoven elements of classical music adding a nice shade of variety to their sound. Each track of the Black Album is compositionally rock-solid, well structured and distinct. With excellent guest musicians, the album is taken to another level.

Anyway, The Black Album is an album that Metallica should be proud of (and it's the case). I try to not take your intention with me, when i say that this period of professional skills is merely gone...But what Metallica fans should notice, is the support of this band, even after these several downfalls, because they need support to allow their music to truly shine and reach much wider, appreciative audiences throughout the world.

My Lady, i liked your review, so when you'll (perhaps) review the upcoming album...Think a lot of the Black Album and never let the neo thrashy influences deter your verdict.

Gordian Knot.
20.06.2007 - 15:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yes! I can deny that The Unforgiven is better than The Unforgiven II! The Unforgiven II remains as one of Metallica's best songs IMO, but The Unforgiven has become rather boring over the years.

But this is one of the most important albums for me, one of the first I heard and the second I bought. Without this I would probably not be me.
----
01.07.2007 - 09:14
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
To some degree, Metallica had changed to a rock band , not Metal band! The Unforgiven is good,but not like a Thrash Metal song. Nothing Else Matters is a love song.I don't think this album can be something equal to Master Of Puppets or Ride The Lightning.But they are trying to make something new,just like their first album.Will this change be something great in the future? Who Knows?
05.08.2007 - 06:57
HELLilac

This album got me into metal when I was still listening to Bon Jovi and Scorpions.

After that I found out there're TONS of better metal albums out there.

So yeah this album is good for all the metal newbies, mainly because it's just 50% metal.
----
AS SOON AS YOU'RE BORN, YOU'RE DYING..
08.08.2007 - 13:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm just surprised this album has a 9.8 and and justice for all has a 5. here on metalstorm. Because comparing the two, "and justice for all" is miles away from this, much better on every level except in terms of production. But yes, I recognize people have opinions and they differ from mine. My perspective is this one, they are different albums obviously, meant to do different things but I still dont think this one is anywhere near "and justice for all".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.10.2007 - 19:00
gerrard888
Account deleted

What a horrible album. These guys sold out so bad it's more laughable than sad. Even when I try listening to this without thinking about how much better they were back in the day (I'm still not really a fan though) I don't like it.

how can you say that the album is horrible, i'm a maiden fan but i think the black album is one of the best albums ever!!!!!!!!!!!
04.10.2007 - 23:52
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Despite what many metalheads say, this is actually one of Metallica's only 3 albums worth listening, along with RTL and MOP.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
05.10.2007 - 11:42
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I wouldn't consider this as merely a "hard rock" album. Sure there are songs like The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters, but don't forget songs like Enter Sandman, Through The Never and The Struggle Within, infact even Nothing Else Matters has a metal moment right were the solo begins.

Awesome record.
----
THRASH!!!
20.10.2007 - 02:44
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Great album, one of the most controversial albums ever IMo. When the deffinitely "sold out" to many people. IMO this albums kicks ass, and it represents a turn poiunt intheir style, from their long hymns and agressive stuff to something more melodic,more personal. Still a great album, and deffinitely the first ,metal album I heard complete. it has a special place in my heart
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.11.2007 - 04:49
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
The Black album is a great album, and the track Unforgiven is definetly in my "top 5 rock" songs list. IMO it's the only one of Metallica's "Post-MOP" albums that's actually good, and I heard it influenced quite a few bands.
While it is a good album, you really did overate it's final score. Just because an album's good doesn't mean it should get a near 10, because 9.8 means the album has to be "out of this world, fantastic, you never get bored of it after 50 years of listening to it, incredibly influential/groundbreaking". I'd give it an 8 - 8.2 .
07.04.2008 - 23:17
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
It's not a bad review, but what's up with the fucking mistakes... who reads it before it is approved and becomes an official review... Man... I can't read this to the end... And the Master of Puppets release year mistake is still not corrected... wtf?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.04.2008 - 23:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Quote:
well, this is where Bob Rock's influence was already too big. He even fucking co-wrote the songs and wrote the basslines. FFS the guy is a producer and should just stick to that. one thing has to be said, the sound of this album is extraoridnary and was copied by many a band afterwards.

I totally agree with the extraordinary sound... And by the way I have never heard a better sound of a bass guitar than on this album... it's unbelievable.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

18.04.2008 - 10:43
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
give it a 10 and then nothing
18.04.2008 - 13:51
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by K✞ulu on 07.04.2008 at 23:17

It's not a bad review, but what's up with the fucking mistakes... who reads it before it is approved and becomes an official review... Man... I can't read this to the end... And the Master of Puppets release year mistake is still not corrected... wtf?

I'm just an average idiot who can't spell and type, so who gives a fu*k about it... I don't.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.04.2008 - 13:53
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Oh and btw, Metallica is one of the best rock albums IMO I own, that's why I gave it a mere 10. I didn't include it in wider range of rating in within the metal genre, but within rock.
----
18.05.2008 - 19:57
Rating: 10
IronBlackZepp

This is an underrated album with Metallica fans, but generally people like it. No it is not as good as most of the 80's stuff but it deserves some credit.
02.07.2008 - 02:52
Timelord

I now call them "Lica" cause the metal has left the building. This record and everything after is garbage. How can you turn your back on what got you there in the first place. What made "Lica" successful to begin with was the raw brutal aggression. That disappeared when Bob Rock took over control of "Lica".
20.10.2008 - 16:22
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Songs 1,2,4,5,8,9 are really good.. IMO Wherever I May Roam is a perfect song one of the best Metalicca ever wrote. But please listen the other 6. They all are 'filler' songs. I don't believe this is a good album to be the follower of ...And Justice For All. Yes this is something different in style but I don't know many people who like any of the other 6 songs. NONE!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
14.12.2008 - 17:40
Jessing
Account deleted
I just love this album, the songs, the sound, everything...

tied with Mop & Rtl... I give it 10
21.03.2009 - 15:29
DayFly

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2006 at 08:29

What a horrible album. These guys sold out so bad it's more laughable than sad.

He did? I mean write the basslines already on this album?
01.06.2009 - 13:14
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Very nice album. I love Metallica from the 90ths, sold-out really works when do excellent music . This album has so many immortal songs that it's hard to criticize.

Best Metallica album.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 7999 | This month: 10