08. Undo You
09. Lethean
10. First Prayer
11. Dead Letters
12. Second [limited edition bonus]
13. The Act Of Darkening [deluxe edition bonus]

The best Gothic Metal album of 2012

Additional info
The 2 disc 'Swedish' edition features the album on CD (plus one bonus track) and a 5.1 mix of the album on DVD-AV.

The limited deluxe edition is a 40 page 10" book with a certificate, the set contains 2 x 10" vinyl, CD with 2 bonus tracks and DVD-A/V (NTSC region 0) with 5.1 mix (DTS). This edition is limited to 2000 numbered copies.

Guest review by
CobiWan1993
Rating:
With Katatonia's follow-up to 2009's Night Is The New Day, Dead End Kings continues the trend starting with that album, or arguably even The Great Cold Distance, and focuses on a mellow, atmospheric sound that encompasses the overall feel of the record. This direction for the band may have perhaps stemmed from lead singer Jonas Renkse having to take control over a bulk of the songwriting after guitarist Anders Nyström suffered a case of writer's block during the previous album's recording sessions; Nyström was nevertheless able to contribute to this album. While Night Is The New Day indeed succeeded with this initial goal of emphasizing atmosphere over aggression, Katatonia continued to improve upon this style for their next record, and the result is a much more united and consolidated effort.

Read more ››
published 28.12.2012 | Comments (6)

Found in 67 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 1676 users
28.08.2012 - 10:00
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This is an absolutely awesome album, one of their best albums to date for me.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
28.08.2012 - 19:54
Rating: 10
ProgVet

Just picked up Last Fair Deal Gone Down and was pretty disappointed with it (6.5/10). I'm glad this CD met all of my expectations. Very, very good.
29.08.2012 - 00:28
Rating: 6
Slayer666

Only checked out a couple of tracks, and completely lost desire to check the others. So fucking boring it's criminal.

I've just noticed that whenever Katatonia use a grey colored album cover, everything goes to shit.
29.08.2012 - 04:35
Rating: 5
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
How on earth is this the "#1 Album of 2012"? I mean i normally love Katatonia (that includes their modern stuff... sometimes). But this album is just so boring/mediocre
29.08.2012 - 17:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 29.08.2012 at 00:28
I've just noticed that whenever Katatonia use a grey colored album cover, everything goes to shit.

Urgh, that you even compare them... But then agaibn, it's you. You are zpezial.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.08.2012 - 17:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.08.2012 at 17:32

Written by Slayer666 on 29.08.2012 at 00:28

well it does mean he also hates the previous Katatonia album
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2012 - 18:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Still don't get how someone can really like LFDGD and TD and hate Viva. They're all the same approach, just with different levels of songwriting, though all are at least good albums.
29.08.2012 - 18:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
I quite like this one. It's certainly nothing special but... nice. No more, no less.
----
29.08.2012 - 20:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
And this is ... well I dont know MDB is much more how this , but Anathema sucks more how this, still nothing special, I dont know why i even listenet it full album, it sucked after 2-3 songs alreday
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.08.2012 - 21:11
Slayer666

Yea, yea, Viva Emptiness is their best post Brave album bla bla.

Speaking of which, this is even worse than Viva. That one had some good tracks, at least. This one makes me want to stick a big fat 4 on it, but I won't do it until I've heard it a few more times. I just can't make myself believe Katatonia can screw up this badly.
29.08.2012 - 23:23
pisymbol

Written by Slayer666 on 29.08.2012 at 21:11

Yea, yea, Viva Emptiness is their best post Brave album bla bla.

Speaking of which, this is even worse than Viva. That one had some good tracks, at least. This one makes me want to stick a big fat 4 on it, but I won't do it until I've heard it a few more times. I just can't make myself believe Katatonia can screw up this badly.

They didn't. You're either deaf or you don't really like Katatonia.

I am shocked at the comments about this album. This is without a doubt a step above Night practically in every way. The last half of that album was a big meh. This starts strong, teeters in a few places, and then ends wonderfully. The small touches in some of these tracks really outline Katatonia's accomplished song writing skills.
30.08.2012 - 01:42
Rating: 9
Therapy?

Written by pisymbol on 29.08.2012 at 23:23

I am shocked at the comments about this album. This is without a doubt a step above Night practically in every way. The last half of that album was a big meh. This starts strong, teeters in a few places, and then ends wonderfully. The small touches in some of these tracks really outline Katatonia's accomplished song writing skills.

I'm also quite surprised by all the negativity. I can somewhat understand the disappointment that Katatonia is focusing less on heavy and more on musical genious and intimicy. But for me, this is close to a masterpiece. There's a lot to discover in this album, musically. I think a lot of people define "musically rich but a bit low on heavy" as "derp where ma metal at? Dis suxors! Too slow and bland derp. I want moar SLAYAR" (I joke, for those offended).

Also the sudden hate on other albums baffles me. But fortunately, the majority here is sane. Every single Katatonia album scores above 8 and that is awesome (and much deserved).
30.08.2012 - 05:36
pisymbol

Written by Therapy? on 30.08.2012 at 01:42

I'm also quite surprised by all the negativity. I can somewhat understand the disappointment that Katatonia is focusing less on heavy and more on musical genious and intimicy. But for me, this is close to a masterpiece. There's a lot to discover in this album, musically. I think a lot of people define "musically rich but a bit low on heavy" as "derp where ma metal at? Dis suxors! Too slow and bland derp. I want moar SLAYAR" (I joke, for those offended).

Also the sudden hate on other albums baffles me. But fortunately, the majority here is sane. Every single Katatonia album scores above 8 and that is awesome (and much deserved).

They are one of the most consistent artists over for the past decade.

If you are a big fan of the melancholy gothic rock era, I can not fathom you not falling head over heels for Dead End Kings.

It absolutely creams Night Is the New Day which really loses steam after "Liberation" IMO.

This is coming from a black metal freak too... :-)
30.08.2012 - 12:48
Rating: 10
ravendeath

Thank you for expressing my own (same) opinion.
30.08.2012 - 15:59
azhidahakk

Nice shit \m/
30.08.2012 - 19:14
Slayer666

Statements that generalize things the way this one does are beyond stupid and not even worth replying to with anything other than "lulz".
30.08.2012 - 19:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 30.08.2012 at 19:14

Statements that generalize things the way this one does are beyond stupid and not even worth replying to with anything other than "lulz".

We have our disagreements but I definitely back you up here since I wouldn't use such an argument against you for not liking Viva Emptiness.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.08.2012 - 19:25
Slayer666

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.08.2012 at 19:17

We have our disagreements but I definitely back you up here since I wouldn't use such an argument against you for not liking Viva Emptiness.

31.08.2012 - 02:55
X-FrEaK

Dont know how to put this but... NITND worst Katatonia album for me and... Dead End Kings album of the year lol... Dont know why, this album just clicked. Since i dont know the reasons ill just say that these songs are awesome: Lethean, Hypnone, Dead Letters, The Racing Heart, Undo You
----
31.08.2012 - 19:41
pisymbol

Written by Slayer666 on 30.08.2012 at 19:14

Like this one...

Quote:

Screw what up badly?

I'm fine that you don't like Dead End Kings.

But the above comment clearly shows you are not a big fan of the post BMD era.
31.08.2012 - 19:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by pisymbol on 31.08.2012 at 19:41

But the above comment clearly shows you are not a big fan of the post BMD era.

But this album has about as much in common with Viva, and the two albums before it, as it does with Brave Murder Day. As far I'm concerned Katatonia started a new era with TGCD, or possibly NITND.
31.08.2012 - 20:11
IronAngel

I think chalking the reception up to "it's not heavy enough" is nonsense, because it arguably is heavier than Katatonia's golden age. DO, TD or LFDGD weren't "heavy" albums. They were metal, sure, but they were mostly driven by light, melodic guitar leads. Since then (starting on VE where it works, but here I disagree with Joe - it's not that close to its predecessors) they've exchanged melodies for hitting one chord repeatedly. In many ways that's pretty heavy - you can't fault boring tracks like Soil's Song or Forsaker for not being metal. It's just not very good, and that's the problem.

So yeah, dismissing criticism as something coming from metalheads who're pissed that it isn't heavy or metal enough is way off the mark, because the last few Katatonia albums are clearly heavier than their classic, post-BMD era.
31.08.2012 - 20:16
IronAngel

To illustrate my point, just listen to what the guitar is doing in one track, then the other, and see why I don't enjoy modern Katatonia:

But no, I don't think this album is necessarily any worse than TGCD or NitND. I thought those were both garbage (in comparison to their predecessors), too.
31.08.2012 - 20:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
But it was on TGCD that they exchanged the hard rock tone for the faux-metallic sound. The only real difference I see with VE and the two prior are the vocals which were considerably improved. All three had the same, straight up riff oriented songwriting approach. I don't see it as a case of being heavier or not. The fuzzy, clinical, distorted sound from TGC distance onwards is also marred by fewer riffs, with extraneous elements taking the foreground. That's how it seems in my mind anyway. They went from simple, organic-sounding rock tunes to convoluted and sterile faux-metallic prog. Perhaps there is a slight degree of chord-focus on Viva but it certainly words on a more basic, more direct level than anything after it.
31.08.2012 - 20:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Perhaps it is a bit more: DO, TD, LFDGD / VE, TGCD / Everything else after. It all being a bit more transitional than I initially gave credit for, only with a serious plummet in songwriting after Viva.
31.08.2012 - 22:03
Rating: 8
woodsmoke666

First listen or two I was dissapointed. Given it a few more spins and I actually think its awesome!!
----
tokoloshe
01.09.2012 - 02:18
Therapy?

Written by ravendeath on 30.08.2012 at 12:48

Thank you for expressing my own (same) opinion.

You're very welcome

Written by IronAngel on 31.08.2012 at 20:16

To illustrate my point, just listen to what the guitar is doing in one track, then the other, and see why I don't enjoy modern Katatonia:
[Youtube 1]
[Youtube 2]

But no, I don't think this album is necessarily any worse than TGCD or NitND. I thought those were both garbage (in comparison to their predecessors), too.

To be honest I can't understand why you prefer the first song over the second. The first sounds so pale and boring compared to Dead Letters. But that's just me.
01.09.2012 - 03:26
Wes

Wow I didn't even know this was out, listening now.
01.09.2012 - 05:08
pisymbol

Written by Guest on 31.08.2012 at 20:38

Perhaps it is a bit more: DO, TD, LFDGD / VE, TGCD / Everything else after. It all being a bit more transitional than I initially gave credit for, only with a serious plummet in songwriting after Viva.

Let's agree to disagree. :-)

I think their song writing has massively improved with each and every release except NITND. This is where I thought they faltered a whole lot in the midsection of that album and kinda ends in a whimper for me.

There is one after another soon to be Katatonia classic on this album. Really, their best release since Vivus and probably their best release in the "clean" era of Katatonia.

If you loved Vivus, I just can not fathom someone not digging this.
01.09.2012 - 05:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Hahahaha this album a future classic. Yeah.....
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 35887 | This month: 49