08. Undo You
09. Lethean
10. First Prayer
11. Dead Letters
12. Second [limited edition bonus]
13. The Act Of Darkening [deluxe edition bonus]

The best Gothic Metal album of 2012

Additional info
The 2 disc 'Swedish' edition features the album on CD (plus one bonus track) and a 5.1 mix of the album on DVD-AV.

The limited deluxe edition is a 40 page 10" book with a certificate, the set contains 2 x 10" vinyl, CD with 2 bonus tracks and DVD-A/V (NTSC region 0) with 5.1 mix (DTS). This edition is limited to 2000 numbered copies.

Guest review by
CobiWan1993
Rating:
With Katatonia's follow-up to 2009's Night Is The New Day, Dead End Kings continues the trend starting with that album, or arguably even The Great Cold Distance, and focuses on a mellow, atmospheric sound that encompasses the overall feel of the record. This direction for the band may have perhaps stemmed from lead singer Jonas Renkse having to take control over a bulk of the songwriting after guitarist Anders Nyström suffered a case of writer's block during the previous album's recording sessions; Nyström was nevertheless able to contribute to this album. While Night Is The New Day indeed succeeded with this initial goal of emphasizing atmosphere over aggression, Katatonia continued to improve upon this style for their next record, and the result is a much more united and consolidated effort.

Read more ››
published 28.12.2012 | Comments (6)

Found in 67 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 1676 users
01.09.2012 - 05:58
nocty
Great album,dont even listen to it if u dont have good sound equipment ,i blast it in the car all the time now ,especially first prayer.Love this band ,i could never say boring to them.
01.09.2012 - 10:18
Rating: 6
Slayer666
Written by pisymbol on 31.08.2012 at 19:41

Like this one...

Screw what up badly?

I'm fine that you don't like Dead End Kings.

But the above comment clearly shows you are not a big fan of the post BMD era.

Uh... what? I'm half-convinced you're trying to troll me, but let's pretend your not.

Your statement:
If you don't like this, you're deaf = Anyone who doesn't feel the same way about this album as I do has a major physical disability.

My statement:
I can't believe they screwed up this badly = I can't believe one of my favorite bands managed to make an album that disappointed me this much.

You tell me which is the generalizing one. Btw, I do like post BMD era. Yea, I prefer BMD and what came before it, but if you'd take a look at how I voted Katatonia discography, you'd see what I think of the post BMD era. Just another proof of your half-witted false assumptions so typical of people who just can't understand that someone can feel differently about music.
01.09.2012 - 20:19
Opethian
Written by X-FrEaK on 31.08.2012 at 02:55

Dont know how to put this but... NITND worst Katatonia album for me and... Dead End Kings album of the year lol... Dont know why, this album just clicked. Since i dont know the reasons ill just say that these songs are awesome: Lethean, Hypnone, Dead Letters, The Racing Heart, Undo You

It was a solid release, but honestly i got bored with 'Night is the New Day' 'Dead End Kings' just has a better atmosphere, more to enjoy this time around. I cant wait to hear some of these songs get played live this September Album of the Year? idk.., top 10? Perhaps

'Haters gonna Hate'
01.09.2012 - 20:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Opethian on 01.09.2012 at 20:19

'Haters gonna Hate'

Lovers gonna love
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2012 - 20:36
pisymbol
Written by Slayer666 on 01.09.2012 at 10:18

Uh... what? I'm half-convinced you're trying to troll me, but let's pretend your not.

Your statement:
If you don't like this, you're deaf = Anyone who doesn't feel the same way about this album as I do has a major physical disability.

For the record ([pun intended), I believe anyone who enjoys post Viva should really dig Dead End Kings. I also believe its the best post Viva album to date. I most certainly recommend this album if they were familiar with the post BMD records.

Is that a tautology? No it is not.

You don't like it, fine.

However, I wish you would expound about it then random "It sucks" comments. That also deserves a "lulz."

Also you have thrown ad hominem attacks at me in pretty much all of your posts where I only insinuated you have a major physical disability. Its nice to hear (another pun) that you are not deaf.

[offers hand to shake]
01.09.2012 - 20:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Why do you insist on typing Vivus? The album is called Viva Emptiness
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2012 - 22:18
Opethian
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2012 at 20:23

Written by Opethian on 01.09.2012 at 20:19

'Haters gonna Hate'

Lovers gonna love

Soo very true Marcel
02.09.2012 - 01:47
pisymbol
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2012 at 20:43

Apologies spell checker issues.
02.09.2012 - 02:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by pisymbol on 02.09.2012 at 01:47

autocorrect? Or T9 on you phone? Those are true bitches.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2012 - 05:52
pisymbol
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.09.2012 at 02:58

Written by pisymbol on 02.09.2012 at 01:47

Those are true bitches.

LOL
02.09.2012 - 16:07
Rating: 7
kingeryck
It's not a bad album, but it just sounds like they took all their mid-tempo songs from the last few albums and put them in a blender. I couldn't tell this album from a random selection of Katatonia songs.
02.09.2012 - 21:34
Rating: 10
ravend
Read through all the comments here and what I never understand is how come people give credit to TGCD album. imo the weakest and boring album from Katatonia. a real disappointment for me. too progressive and didn't find the melancholy what's the trademark of them.
this one on the other hand is a real masterpiece. it has everything why I started to like Katatonia. definitely best album since LFDGD which I doubt they will top.
07.09.2012 - 22:30
Rating: 9
Wes
Beautiful stuff.
08.09.2012 - 16:15
Monolithic
♠♠♠
It's Katatonia, alright. Nothing new or creative that much, but it is Katatonia's touch and music, and it's great.
10.09.2012 - 19:57
SceneryOfLoss
That album gives me the sensation that the band forgot to record the guitars.
10.09.2012 - 19:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by SceneryOfLoss on 10.09.2012 at 19:57

That album gives me the sensation that the band forgot to record the guitars.

I got the same feeling too. They just aren't there in this, have definitely taken a back seat.
10.09.2012 - 20:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.09.2012 at 20:06

It's true that you really have to like Jonas Renkse's (non-vaginal) delivery in order to enjoy this to the fullest.

Not necessarily. His vocals are far better on the recent releases (than say the first 2 or 3 clean records), in fact its about the only good thing about it.
10.09.2012 - 20:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 10.09.2012 at 20:13
Not necessarily. His vocals are far better on the recent releases (than say the first 2 or 3 clean records), in fact its about the only good thing about it.

Exactly... If there's one thing Katatonia's latest period has improved from the older albums is the vocals. That's about it though :\
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.09.2012 - 13:38
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
I think the album is very well pieced together seeing as the vocals are their focus. Seems structured with that approach in mind, something which I imagine would turn some people off. Personally I don't think it's musically devoid, tracks like "Hypnone", "Buildings" and "Leech" are too engaging to lead me to that conclusion, but certainly not on the same level as albums like Viva Emptiness.
14.09.2012 - 04:36
Bill27
Ok album.
Nothing new, but thats not always bad.
In these strange times, some things should be left as they are.
Low tempo and feelings, thats what this is all about.
14.09.2012 - 22:35
Rating: 8
MetalManic
Truth be told, this is an album that takes at least 5 listens to be fairly judged and appreciated
17.09.2012 - 19:53
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Cool album, great vocals but drags on and is a little boring in some spots.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.09.2012 - 01:53
BehzadSh
It's clear that they're changing their way an their style, you can compare last 3 albums with previous albums.

They may lost a lot of their fans through this changes, but I think they're moving in the right way.

The album was not as good as "Night is the New Day", but not so bad, I'd gave it 9.7 if I could
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
19.09.2012 - 14:08
Slayer666
Ok, after a few weeks of listening to this, I've finally figured out how I feel about it.

First of, why do I absolutely love NITND and hate(d) this one when they're almost identical style-wise? The choruses. Here, for the majority of tracks, they're incredibly weak and ineffective which seriously kills the overall impression. NITND had awesome choruses that truly felt like an appropriate climax to each respective track. No such luck here, the build-ups are too long, too forced and the finish just isn't worth it.

Not always, though. "First Prayer" and "The Racing Heart" are two fantastic tracks and that's how the rest of the album should have sounded like (if that were the case, this would have been Katatonia's finest since BMD). A lot of other tracks also have some serious potential ("Buildings", "Dead Letters", "Lethean" too name a few) but manage to fuck it up with extremely bland and unconvincing choruses.

So, yeah. It is better than I had previously thought, so I'm bumping my 5 to 6, and there's a possibility of that going up to 7, but I wouldn't count on it. I'll be giving it some more time, maybe some other tracks will also click.
21.09.2012 - 01:10
ravendeath
The same old story... some hate, some spit on it, others love and defend, everything's same like on all other (more popular) album threads. People, this has become so boring...
21.09.2012 - 02:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ravendeath on 21.09.2012 at 01:10

The same old story... some hate, some spit on it, others love and defend, everything's same like on all other (more popular) album threads. People, this has become so boring...

You're right. I long for the utopia when everyone shares the same opinion and feeling toward everything. It would make forums like this so vibrant and relevant.
21.09.2012 - 11:02
Nefarious
Doom Knight
staff
Jonas' vocals are getting better & better, but unfortunately their music is not.

I love old & new Katatonia equally & was actually a big fan of NITND. This album isn't terrible & certainly it has it's moments, but they are too few & far between so unfortunately the overall impression of this record is that its a little bland & uninspired. I'll keep spinning it for another week or so though, to see if it grows on me a little more.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
21.09.2012 - 16:16
Slayer666

Let me tell you a well-guarded secret: that's what Internet Forums are for.

Kinda blows your mind, doesn't it? I know it's a lot to take it, so take your time.
21.09.2012 - 19:14
ravendeath
Written by Guest on 21.09.2012 at 02:54

You're right. I long for the utopia when everyone shares the same opinion and feeling toward everything. It would make forums like this so vibrant and relevant.

I know, it's fun, isn't it... I just wanted to say that each thread is almost the same. I have nothing against to share opinions....
21.09.2012 - 19:19
ravendeath
Written by Slayer666 on 21.09.2012 at 16:16

Let me tell you a well-guarded secret: that's what Internet Forums are for.

Kinda blows your mind, doesn't it? I know it's a lot to take it, so take your time.

it's not that I'm against different opinions at all... it's just that I find all album threads almost the same. On the other hand, I don't think that it's wrong at all, just boring...

Hits total: 35896 | This month: 58