01. Borrowed Time, Borrowed Eyes
02. Beneath The Crown
03. Stonecarver
04. The Inheritance
05. Attack On Golden Mountain
06. Whippoorwill
07. House Carpenter
08. Dark Country

Gaze in wonder at one of Profound Lore's recent marvels.

Salt Lake City's SubRosa, skillfully avoiding the pitfalls of machismo sludge music, conjure a sound that would likely suit the female vocal aficionado as much as it would the hardened metaller. In fact one could easily recommend listening to it that way as this isn't like most ardent heavy sludge releases, the heaviness being largely replaced with an often psychedelic, dirging quality. The fuzzy guitars take a backseat (unusual for a sludge band) and are the first constituent in a sublime three-way as the grounding foundation between the off-kilter singing (and sparely used growling) and (dis)harmonies in a tug of war with the discordant violin. The real brilliance of every song, though, is the reward that awaits at the end of each. A build up, sometimes intentional repetition, before the component elements meet in crescendo that brings the violin to the foreground in a euphoric and transcendental manner. For this reason approaching SubRosa on a riff basis, which one might often do in the genre, isn't recommended.

Fortunately the single flaw of No Help For The Mighty Ones can be succinctly fingered and quarantined: "House Carpenter" - SubRosa's take on the popular Americanised version on the English ballad "The Daemon Lover" which is quite frankly out of place here, the lack of instrumentation making the harmonies sound flat and awkward. Just skip it.

In a sadly frequent number of cases the inclusion of the female vocal in the more extreme end of metal is typically employed for mere novelty effect (if not for the "crumpet" effect), occasionally adding another shade to the proceedings where it might. Not only do the three-fifths female outfit SubRosa manage, without effort, to waylay this unfortunate paradigm, they succeed in turning the sludge genre on its head and make the unconventional female vocal (think Bloody Panda rather than Nightwish) and the jarring violin (think A Forest Of Stars rather than Apocalyptica) its prime catalyst, creating a distinct and unusual approach to the sound. Both offbeat and dissonant whilst substantially heavy and maintaining itself within set margins (but not without a woman's touch) this is quite possibly the album of the year because of it.

Written by | 02.11.2011

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 37   Visited by: 248 users
08.12.2011 - 02:29
Slinky666
Account deleted
I must say that I finally find the female vocals to be in the right place... with the music - not above it and not behind it so to speak. Haunting and beautiful album!
09.12.2011 - 14:26
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Eidwlon on 09.11.2011 at 01:27

Yes! Thanks for the review, this album really was one of my greatest finds this year.

On a side note, there are actually two female singers, and sometimes also two (simultaneous) violin parts. They did a really good job making that sound appealing to metal people.

Actually, all 3 chicks sing. The guitarist does most of the lead vocals, one violinist, Pendleton, does some backing vocals, some death vocals, the lead vocals on House Carpenter and the Russian speaking part in Stonecarver. The other violinist does backing vocals.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.03.2012 - 12:16
Mikyz

After reading the lyrics, I'm positive that they were heavily inspired by Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which makes me admire this album that much more.

Borrowed Time Borrowed Eyes is right out of "Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it." - Cormac McCarthy - The Road.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
07.03.2012 - 13:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mikyz on 07.03.2012 at 12:16

After reading the lyrics, I'm positive that they were heavily inspired by Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which makes me admire this album that much more.

Borrowed Time Borrowed Eyes is right out of "Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it." - Cormac McCarthy - The Road.

Nice, as it happens that book is sitting only a few feet away from me at this moment. Still unread though.
07.03.2012 - 14:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 07.03.2012 at 13:01

Nice, as it happens that book is sitting only a few feet away from me at this moment. Still unread though.

Did you get the book because of this cd or it's just a coincidence?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2012 - 15:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.03.2012 at 14:53

Written by Guest on 07.03.2012 at 13:01

Did you get the book because of this cd or it's just a coincidence?

I had no idea there was a relation between the two actually. The book is my ex's. Will read it at some point.
29.07.2013 - 16:28
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Really an awesome review and type of writing. I just don't agree with the House Carpenter part, I didn't know it was an English Ballad though it sounded like a ballad obviously,and I think it's well performed.I'm really looking forward to their next album.

Hits total: 6238 | This month: 15