Metal Storm logo
Ripper Owens era Judas Priest vs Blaze Bayley era Iron Maiden

Poll

Which of these bands did better without their iconic frontman?

Judas Priest
Iron Maiden

Total votes: 54
03.11.2011 - 10:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
During the 90's, both of these British metal legends lost their iconic frontmen Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson due to them wanting to try new things. Both Priest and Maiden decided to continue on with new vocalists, and both made two albums with them. ("Jugulator" and "Demolition" for Priest, "The X Factor" and "Virtual XI" for Maiden)

So who do you think fared better without their legendary frontman? Priest with Tim "Ripper" Owens, or Maiden with Blaze Bayley?

My choice is Priest for two reasons. The first, is that Tim is a great singer, and had no problems singing the classic Priest material live, whereas Blaze was a far inferior vocalist to Bruce, and suffered a lot when trying to sing the Bruce era stuff live. The second, is while I do like "The X Factor" and to a lesser extent "Virtual XI", I prefer the two albums Priest made with Ripper. Especially "Jugulator" which was another change for Priest in sound, and also a brilliant album in it's own right.

So for me, it's Priest and the Ripper... what do you think?
03.11.2011 - 16:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I say Blaze because I like every time I liek Im better, JP is good but still IM is better, much much better how JP ever has been, I love both bands but IM in every era works better for me
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.11.2011 - 17:21
JD
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.11.2011 at 10:41

My choice is Priest for two reasons. The first, is that Tim is a great singer, and had no problems singing the classic Priest material live

My vote goes to Judas Priest for the same reason.
03.11.2011 - 18:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
My vote goes to Iron Maiden, for a couple of reasons. First of all, Bayley could be the most underestimated singer out there. Secondly, his two Maiden albums are great if you ask me.

Ripper did the Halford stuff better than Blaze did the Dickinson and Di'Anno stuff, but the Blaze albums slays the Ripper albums.
----
05.11.2011 - 04:08
robbyAGONY

I gotta go with Ripper for his ability to reproduce the classics live. And, to be honest, I just never got into Blaze's stuff. Maybe I'll give it another try soon
06.11.2011 - 03:45
Berserk

I like Tim the ripper better as a vocalist overall, but, I think Blaze Maiden beats Ripper Priest.
----
Fear the Old Blood
06.11.2011 - 04:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
My vote goes to Priest. I didn't really enjoy any of the "non-iconic frontman" releases but I guess I enjoyed their work with Ripper more than Maiden's work with Bayley.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.11.2011 - 23:59
Pennywise213
Account deleted
Jugulator is the best Judas Priest album after Painkiller and I like it way much more than most albums by Priest of the 80s.

I havent listened to any Blaze Bayley Maiden song beside the Clansman, but heard that X Factor is underrated
10.11.2011 - 04:19
I_Die_Often

Blaze gets my vote, I think his two Maiden albums are better than the last two Maidens with Bruce!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
10.11.2011 - 06:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by I_Die_Often on 10.11.2011 at 04:19

Blaze gets my vote, I think his two Maiden albums are better than the last two Maidens with Bruce!

Neither of them are better than AMOLAD, not even close to being better, IMO. "The X Factor" is better than their last album though.
15.11.2011 - 00:03
ToMegaTherion

Ripper left Blaze for dead in terms of vocals IMO. Ripper is one of those guys with an amazing voice who have unfortunately made a name for himself filling in for band in need of vocalists. Pretty much anything ripper does in quite good, his work with Iced Earth in particular on their album Framing Armageddon demonstrates what I mean. As for his work with JP. Jugulator is a really good album. Its no Painkiller sure, but its still a good album. As for blaze, Iv never really liked his voice, not just in maiden, but in the other stuff Iv heard.
25.11.2011 - 21:17
Hellish Star

"Jugulator" is a masterpiece but it doesn't really fits in JP's discography...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
26.11.2011 - 12:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hellish Star on 25.11.2011 at 21:17

I do feel that album would have got a lot more praise if it hadn't been released under the Judas Priest name.
27.11.2011 - 21:49
Hellish Star

Written by Angelic Storm on 26.11.2011 at 12:26

Written by Hellish Star on 25.11.2011 at 21:17

I do feel that album would have got a lot more praise if it hadn't been released under the Judas Priest name.

Indeed!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
28.11.2011 - 20:49
NLthrasher

I voted for Judas Priest. I don´t think the studio albums that Owens brought out with Judas Priest were that great, but the live albums that they put out during the Ripper era are just amazing, he brings the songs in his own way. Owens was really capable of doing the older Priest classics where Blaze kind of had a hard time singing some Maiden classics. The albums Blaze did with Maiden weren´t that great either in my opinion. Owens is just capable of more than Blaze is in my opinion.
18.02.2012 - 23:18
BuriedInOblivion

Ripper could pull off classic Judas Priest songs unlike Blaze with Iron Maiden. Also what has Blaze done since he left Maiden? Ripper played Iced Earth and Yngwie.
08.03.2012 - 22:59
Codera the Great
Account deleted
I actually really enjoy the Blaze Bayley era for Maiden. Not at first, but now I really like it. I think JP was more successful with Tim Ripper Owens overall, but I enjoy the Bayley era for Maiden more.
11.03.2012 - 17:23
Infernal Eternal

Written by Angelic Storm on 03.11.2011 at 10:41

My choice is Priest for two reasons. The first, is that Tim is a great singer, and had no problems singing the classic Priest material live, whereas Blaze was a far inferior vocalist to Bruce, and suffered a lot when trying to sing the Bruce era stuff live. The second, is while I do like "The X Factor" and to a lesser extent "Virtual XI", I prefer the two albums Priest made with Ripper. Especially "Jugulator" which was another change for Priest in sound, and also a brilliant album in it's own right.

+1
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
14.08.2012 - 08:31
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally like Bayley in Iron Maiden more than Owens in Judas Priest. X Factor is a great and under-apprieciated album IMO.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
17.02.2017 - 13:20
nikarg

They both sucked, but Iron Maiden albums with Bailey are impossible to listen to.
11.03.2017 - 04:03
Ganondox

Owens is the better singer, but Iron Maiden had the better songs from the off-era.