Metal Storm logo
German metal recommendations?

10.10.2006 - 05:22
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I am wondering if any one can recommend some good German metal, black would be the most ideal but I enjoy most styles of metal. I know there must be some good stuff out there, I just don't really know where to start. I'd also prefer that they "sing" in German too. I already know about Absurd, a lot of industrial bands are German but it's just not the same, and although I consider Rammstein to be a form of metal I would like to hear some other stuff. Thanks in advance guys.
10.10.2006 - 06:08
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, they're not Black Metal, They're Power, and they don't Sing in German Either, But reguardless they're still a great band, a Classic. You've probaly heard of them, the one and only, Blind Guardian
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
10.10.2006 - 18:30
Damnated
Churchburner
Urfaust is one of the best. black metal with clean vocals ^^

they sing in german, although there are quite few that do the same. some of these are Bethlehem(black/doom), Blutaar, Wigrid, Paysage d'Hiver (from Switzerland), Vinterriket. The best are the last 2 bands.

Good german BM , lyrics in English : Sterbend, Moonblood, Dark Fortress, Luror, Malus, Vargsang. The best from here is Luror and Sterbend.

also, check out Darkspace (from Switzerland).

I don't recommend, just I mention Nargaroth, as they're highly rated nowadays. they have lyrics in german, and some in english, I think

Before I forget: really good black metal band with experimental things is Licht- Und Schattensaiten. they sing in german too.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.10.2006 - 18:59
Soliloquy

humm...a german folk metal band that is prolly the best folk metal(not folk/death/black. just folk) bands out there. they go by the name of 'In Extremo'. an awsome band that are just fun to listen to.

Haggard is another band that mixes classical music with some folk stuff, and then with some insane growls. i'm not a fan of growls much, but these growls are not weak, they are truly demonic and different from what you hear now a days. they sing in english/german/latin and some other stuff. mostly english though
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
10.10.2006 - 19:09
Valar
IndianSteel
As you enjoy most of the styles, you defn must be listening to Thrash and how can one forget the great German Thrash Metal bands like Kreator, Sodom, Destruction....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
11.10.2006 - 02:49
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
In Germany there are lots of good metal bands:
- Lacrimosa, one of the best gothic metal bands ever, the majority of the songs are sung in german.

- Atrocity: Gothic/death metal
- In Extremo: Folk metal, they sing in a lot of languages, I think that they sing in ancient german
- Subway To Sally: Folk metal
In Power Metal: Blind Guardian, Edguy, Avantasia, Helloween

- Die Verbannten Kinder Evas: Pure atmospheric metal
- Falkenbach: Blackened viking metal, and a lot of melodic songs
- Haggard: pure symphonic metal (recent stuff) and death metal (early stuff)
- Evereve and Ewigheim: gothic metal bands
- Lacrimas Profundere: Doom metal
- Crematory: Death metal

These are the bands I remember for the moment
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
11.10.2006 - 06:15
tulkas
el parcero
I would recommend you Nocte Obducta, don't know if you've heard them They're black metal and the vocals are also in german. It's one of my favorite bands, so for me the music is just incredible. I have they're whole discography and it's truly amazing.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
11.10.2006 - 08:58
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Crematory, despite their shoft to a more "imdustrial" sound, they still what would be regarded as Goothic Metal and 'tis good Gothic Metal at that...
11.10.2006 - 15:54
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i don't see the reason for wanting specifically german metal, but you should try Visceral Evisceration. Melodic but heavy deathdoom with a lot of NWOBHM influence. it has clean vocals but with a strong, powerful german accent.

great stuff. i approve.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
11.10.2006 - 20:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 10.10.2006 at 18:30

Urfaust is one of the best. black metal with clean vocals ^^

they sing in german,

Yes, Urfaust does sing in German but they are NOT from Germany, they are from the Netherlands.

Another good BM band that sings a lot in German is of course Bilskirnir.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.10.2006 - 21:17
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.10.2006 at 20:19

Yes, Urfaust does sing in German but they are NOT from Germany, they are from the Netherlands.

mm yes. forgot to mention that.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.10.2006 - 21:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 11.10.2006 at 21:17

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.10.2006 at 20:19

mm yes. forgot to mention that.

reading back on my post I might have come across a little pissed off, which I wasn't. I am just too porud about the fact that Urfaust are from my own home country
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.10.2006 - 21:57
Promonex
Cathemeral
The German Pagan and Viking Metal scene offers a lot of bands that sing in German: Equilibrium, Menhir, Riger, Taunusheim, Nebelhorn, XIV Dark Centuries, Adorned Brood, Bergthron, Fjoergyn, Thiasos Dionysos, Kromlek, Thrudvangar, Wolfchant and Minas Morgul, just to name a few.

If you want pure Black Metal with German lyrics, try out Abigor (from Austria), Orlog, Nebular Moon and Grabnebelfürsten. Nachtfalke and Bombensturm are two bands somewhere between Pagan and Black Metal, the production is clearly Black Metal though. I'm not familiar with Bethlehem, but many people seem to love them and their sick vocals.

Eisregen are also a very well known band which play music somewhere between Black, Death and Gothic Metal. Their lyrics are all in German and pretty morbid, so that two of their albums have been banned here in Germany. Their side-project Eisblut isn't as good, but with the same morbidity.

If you're also into Grind, check out Japanische Kampfhörspiele, I think they still have lots of their stuff free for download on their website.

Then there are the Medieval Metal bands, that were mentioned by Soliloquy already: In Extremo, Subway To Sally, Letzte Instanz, Schandmaul, Saltatio Mortis, Cultus Ferox, Die Streuner and Tanzwut are a few well-known bands of this genre.

And then there still are the Industrial Metal bands: Rammstein, Oomph! (their pre-Plastik stuff), Eisbrecher, Megaherz, Schweisser, Richthofen, Weissglut/Silber, Riefenstahl and Stahlhammer are quite popular or at least known. Hanzel & Gretyl are another awesome yet hilarious Industrial Metal band - they are from the US of A, try to sing in German and attempt to meet all cliches of the Germans, most of all the pseudo-Nazi image, which is absolutely laughable if you take it with a grain of salt.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
11.10.2006 - 23:19
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I highly recommend the all powerful SIEGES EVEN, a technical progressive metal band...the two albums by them I know and love, A Sense of Change and The Art of Navigating by the Stars, are amazing and well worth checking out...they are right up there with Dream Theater...Sore Plexus, Mekong Delta (amazing progressive thrash metal band!), Lost Century, Jester's March, House of Spirits, End Amen, Annon Vin...all great German progressive metal bands that I know of...

Edguy is a really solid power metal band from Germany that started off very young and had a chance to mature in the business and currently write all this mature, well-produced memorable material at such an early age...

Zed Yago is a neat and kinda strange 80s metal band who put out some really cool albums in the 80s, faded away and are now back with a new album...

A lost treasure is from Spiral Tower, Mindkiller, that was released in 2000...it is very power metal but has a lot of melodic progressive metal in the mixture...I don't think they're around anymore but that album was a strong release...
12.10.2006 - 01:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
WOW - Germany has realy great metal scene and history so lets start from begining

1)Old hard rock and heavy metal bands, seems we all know
Scorpions, X-Wild, Runnig Wild, Accept/UDO, Stormwitch

Than Old Thrash bands: seems ozman shood knwo more, I know there are planty but I forgot names, onl what I can think are Tankard, but I know and had hear more

Gothic - well its big and popula scene there but only what I can think are Xandria and Flowing Tears(And Withered Flowers)

Well Black metal ask damnated, but one band what I can think are Asgarot and some songs are in german its best german BM band also Moonblood

Prom just mention werry good german singing band XIV dark centuries and about that genre he post and know better

Speed power - well I like only one its Blind Guardian and also Brainstorm and Black Abyss

DOOM - Bethlehem, specely early, werry good band
Gardens of Gehenna, Lacrimas Profundere, Doomshine, Crestfallen

try austrian band Siegfried thay sing in german

Ok I hawnt chack so deep german metal, but one day I will
i had chack only newest updates in MA and a lot of german BM bands probobly Damnated knows better about it, same about Trrahs/Speed, ask Ozman and Black/Folk Prom knows more but XIV Dark Centuries for long be my top band

EDDIT: Great German black metal band are Lunar Aurora realy great, just I was forgot about them
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2006 - 01:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 12.10.2006 at 01:12

Than Old Thrash bands: seems ozman shood knwo more, I know there are planty but I forgot names, onl what I can think are Tankard, but I know and had hear more

Hahaha, I never liked the German thrash scene apart from OLD Tankard and the first tow Angel Dust albums, that's about it. I only like one or two Kreator albums, I HATE Sodom and Destruction. So I am not the person to ask info on the German thrash scene.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2006 - 01:29
Dragonheart
Account deleted

Well, there is the "unholy trinity" of German thrash - Sodom, Kreator and Destruction -, as well as Holy Moses featuring female vocalist Sabina Classen.

Quote:
Speed power - well I like only one its Blind Guardian and also Brainstorm and Black Abyss

A pity, because power metal is huge in Germany Besides the obvious bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray and Edguy there are also Freedom Call, Mob Rules, Majesty, Iron Savior, and Masterplan - all great bands in their own right. And Blind Guardian fans might want to look at Savage Circus, which was founded by BG's former drummer.
12.10.2006 - 01:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 12.10.2006 at 01:29

Well, there is the "unholy trinity" of German thrash - Sodom, Kreator and Destruction -, as well as Holy Moses featuring female vocalist Sabina Classen.

Oops forgot about Holy Moses, I really did like them. And And I remember that Sabina also presented a metal show on tv back in the days for RTL called Mosh or something along those lines. Really good show with loads of live thrash.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2006 - 01:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2006 at 01:23

Hahaha, I never liked the German thrash scene apart from OLD Tankard and the first tow Angel Dust albums, that's about it. I only like one or two Kreator albums, I HATE Sodom and Destruction. So I am not the person to ask info on the German thrash scene.

Well I told, i even forgot mention some bands

You know how many bands are in MA, ewery day when I check new updates some great german band show up, almoust ewery gernre, I cant finish cecking sweden yet, but Im near Tiamat, so soon I will end and alfabetic order again starting whit A
In my old PC was great Gernman bands but

About Thrash there was one band simmilar ho Coroner I can not think now and I can not remeber but thay has 10 albums +/-

Kreator - I like early, same Sodom(but Fuck The Poloce) great song

Destruction i dunno

Tankard remaind me old Kabat(Cz) band great beer beer songs

What you think about Rage, i dont like them,

There was bands whit Angel ........ so many endibg cant remeber them all but Iron Angel are great

Well Germany are werry big country and its why thay had so big scene

PS how I will finish US metal band sin MA
----

apos;'
[image]
12.10.2006 - 01:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.10.2006 at 01:29

Quote:

A pity, because power metal is huge in Germany Besides the obvious bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray and Edguy there are also Freedom Call, Mob Rules, Majesty, Iron Savior, and Masterplan - all great bands in their own right. And Blind Guardian fans might want to look at Savage Circus, which was founded by BG's former drummer.

2 quots in same time

Well you are 4 yeras older, get into metal faster

About Thrash i had see in MA how bands but names, forgot sorry
Just some weeks ago discovere Iron Angel

About Power - I know its HUGE there but I like Blind Guardian, Black Abyss and Brainstorm, but Iron Savior style bands and quate old school I open for them and thay are great but njot Helloweem, Gamma Ray ................
----

apos;'
[image]
12.10.2006 - 02:16
danzig111
Account deleted
Deude, Germany is the land of Heavy, Speed and Power Metal

Speed: (old) Blind Guardian, Running Wild, (old) Helloween, Stormwarrior

Power: Avantasia, Blind Guardian, Freedom Call, Gamma Ray, Masterplan, Primal Fear

Heavy: Accept, Scorpions, Stormwitch, Warlock

ohhh yeah and there's this Viking Metal band called:

Menhir

............also Germany has a great Techno-Industrial scene......but that's not what you asked for

I hope that helped
14.10.2006 - 08:23
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I am having a pretty hard time finding much of anything online, I know that the stores wouldn't carry shit either.

I like industrial a lot, but there is an endless supply for German industrial and I already have a decent amount. Should be seeing KMFDM on Hallows Eve too.

tommy lee: I wanted German in specific for heritage purposes for both my heritage and the age of German existance, I also think the German language is very strong and powerful, it holds a very dominating sound and presence to it.
14.10.2006 - 18:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bitter Dawn on 14.10.2006 at 08:23

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I am having a pretty hard time finding much of anything online, I know that the stores wouldn't carry shit either.

I like industrial a lot, but there is an endless supply for German industrial and I already have a decent amount. Should be seeing KMFDM on Hallows Eve too.

tommy lee: I wanted German in specific for heritage purposes for both my heritage and the age of German existance, I also think the German language is very strong and powerful, it holds a very dominating sound and presence to it.

Almoust ewery band what I and Ozman, Preom, mention has hoem apge whit smapels or mp3, I know its not like real CD but still I neve rpost thos ebamds what i hanwt hear, but maybe in states its hard get them, even here but you can tr dounloud them, or ou prefere original

Also great abnd sare Kettenhund - I had ''Am Ende des Weges'' hear this album good

Düsterwald- good band, I jsut listen it now http://mp3.de/musik/genre/band/080100/286192/1

Sariola gothic/black and album ''Sphere of Thousands Sunsets'' werry good, my freind recomend me this

Vinterriket - werry great ambiemt/black band whit 20 demos and a lot of albums, maybe you can find it

Its what I can remeebr watching my PC
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2006 - 01:35
W-Lash
Metal Master
I don't understand why only Damnated mentioned Nargaroth because i think it's awesome black metal band. If you like Burzum or similar stuff then you will probably like it.
15.10.2006 - 04:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by W-Lash on 15.10.2006 at 01:35

I don't understand why only Damnated mentioned Nargaroth because i think it's awesome black metal band. If you like Burzum or similar stuff then you will probably like it.

I mention it too(Or forgot ) and I agree whit you lyrics are awsome firts sobg was Eric something what I hear from them and i agree its great band unique and IMO thay insirated german BM bands even its hard to get them
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2006 - 04:58
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Stormwitch,Stormwitch,and ummmm Stormwitch.Helloween and Blind Guardian are very good choices as well.Grave Digger,Rage and Running Wild too.
23.10.2006 - 08:50
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I decided to return to this thread and just do what K7 suggested, search online for single mp3's. It was harder than I thought, I was only able to find a few bands with one to a few songs, unfortunately some bands only offered samples that are less than two minutes. But it should be good exposure to true underground German black metal.

I need to expand my bm collection anyways, next step is just any and all black metal bands I can find. I've been having trouble creating music so I'm looking for some inspiration and influences, as well I want to see the diversity in the music.
23.10.2006 - 11:56
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I'd Say Lacrimas Profundere, Blind Guardian(old and New), Haggard

and the album suggestion:
Lacrimas Profundere: Memorandum (the best Gothic Doom album of all time)
Blind Guardian: Nightfall in Middle-Earth (If u like LoTR you're gonna love this)
Haggard: Eppur Si Muove (I love this album because it has wonderful folk moods)
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
23.10.2006 - 19:19
Hellish Star

Well, how about:
-BRAINSTORM (US influenced power metal)
-LANFEAR (US influenced power metal)
-CONVICTION (US influenced power/thrash)
-GALLOGLASS (power metal)
-GRAVESTONE (heavy metal)
-JESTER'S MARCH (progressive metal)
-METALIUM (power metal)
-MSG (hard-rock)
-MYSTIC PROPHECY (US influenced power metal)
-PARADOX (thrash metal)
-RICOCHET (progressive metal)
-SUPERIOR (progressive metal)
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
24.10.2006 - 13:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Scarrowed Muse - I know soem bands give samples some had myspace pages and saoem give fiew songs but ist better how nohing
But I sugets you try get soemthing from east and centarl Europe slavonic countries BM and metal scene, there are some great abnd stoo,
i know one bulgarian site where are songs and estonian, litaunian too
PM me if had intrest and I had some 2 russian MBK bands, I know link where ou can het it

@iMPERiAL_iCE - Do you realy think ih workd are metalhead who dont know Blibd Guardian

@Hellish_Star Good list I ko almoust al bands, but had hera fiew and why Brainstorm are so low rated my budy saw them live in Praha
----

apos;'
[image]