04. Mistress Dread
05. Iced Honey
06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

But it all bears no significance at all. An ordinary listener will not give a damn about the literary predecessor that became grounds for this album. All an ordinary listener cares about is the music. And this is what is the biggest failure here. A gargantuan failure of biblical proportions. A debacle of misbegotten notions. A hapless heap of humungous refuse. Even the Apocalypse of John doesn't depict an event as catastrophic as this brainfart committed by a bunch of pretentious musicians and their misguided greed for mainstream recognition.

There isn't much to say about the music here. Metallica plods along with some recycled riffs (or lack thereof, see "Junior Dad"), boring drumming and generic singing, all that hidden ten fathoms under Lou Reed's mumbling. The mumbling that is so incredibly annoying, that I feel like shooting myself so that I can never hear it again.

Creating a piece of art isn't a conscious process. You sit down, write music, jam with your fellow bandmates, then record your endeavors, and if the general public, the history and fate decide that your work was brilliant, that it's a paragon of genius for generations to come, it will be so. But you can't calculate it. To me this is what Metallica and Lou Reed did. Tried to do. Failed miserably. Nuked all that remained of any shred of respect any fan could have for them. Genius arises by the way, not by calculation. How the fuck would they know that anyway.

Forgive lack of down-to-earth dissertation of the music. Forgive the dissonant style of this review. Only two things can make me write such a rant. Either utter genius or utter shitfest at the bottom of the cesspool of miscarried intentions. It shouldn't be hard to figure out which was the case this time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 3
Songwriting: 2
Originality: 5
Production: 5

Written on 04.11.2011 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Comments page 4 / 6

Comments: 163   Visited by: 1524 users
09.11.2011 - 12:44
Yavanna

Written by Merchant of Doom on 09.11.2011 at 12:11

I saw them on the Jool Holland's show on the BBC last night. Utterly embarrassing! A bunch of old men posturing during some generic riffage, with Lou Redd half dead and hardly moving, mumbling his stuff... and they did a version of the Velvet's White Light White Heat... so boring I nearly fell asleep... it was sad seeing James Hetfield actually enjoying that crap... he must have had a brain bypass...

Damn it... this things are not transmited here... it would be hilarious
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
09.11.2011 - 13:45
Merchant of Doom

Written by Yavanna on 09.11.2011 at 12:44

I saw them on the Jool Holland's show on the BBC last night. Utterly embarrassing! A bunch of old men posturing during some generic riffage, with Lou Redd half dead and hardly moving, mumbling his stuff... and they did a version of the Velvet's White Light White Heat... so boring I nearly fell asleep... it was sad seeing James Hetfield actually enjoying that crap... he must have had a brain bypass...

Hilarious? it was torture!
09.11.2011 - 13:50
Yavanna

Written by Merchant of Doom on 09.11.2011 at 13:45

Well, I supose that I would laugh so loud that I would even listen to that thing they are playing
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
09.11.2011 - 13:52
Merchant of Doom

Written by Yavanna on 09.11.2011 at 13:50

Well, I supose that I would laugh so loud that I would even listen to that thing they are playing

don't forget to close your eyes too... some Parma ham would do just fine...
09.11.2011 - 23:07
Rating: 4
Qube

Indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hFhBbIP26s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wbBkgg7F8I
09.11.2011 - 23:53
Rating: 6
eyeofthebeholder

Pretty good music on this album...I will listen more times to it before I can have a real opinion
10.11.2011 - 02:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by eyeofthebeholder on 09.11.2011 at 23:53

Pretty good music on this album...

I guess you haven't heard much music in your life. This is some of the worst, if the worst, musoc ever recorded.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2011 - 11:31
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by eyeofthebeholder on 09.11.2011 at 23:53

Pretty good music on this album...I will listen more times to it before I can have a real opinion

It's 14-year olds like you who make people doubt that rational, grind-death-wtf-lovin' 13-year olds like me exist.

Shame on you, sir.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.11.2011 - 11:51
RockeRoy

I actually had a pretty positive listening to some songs on this hated album yesterday. i didn't like it at all the first few listens, but yesterday it was quite plessant. Maybe this album is a real grower. I don't know yet, and thats why i haven't rated it. I guess moast people here never will give it the time it might need to grow on you. and i don't blame you:) i might be realy fucking wrong, but i know what i heard yesterday.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
10.11.2011 - 11:59
Rating: 2
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by RockeRoy on 10.11.2011 at 11:51

I guess moast people here never will give it the time it might need to grow on you.

If it didn't grow on me after 5 actual listens, it never will. I'm scarred for life anyway.
10.11.2011 - 15:41
Jvenned

An artsy fartsy concept album written by dried up musicians is most certain to fail miserably.... I'm not saying it's a bad album or anything like that. All I'm saying is that you could get a broom and dip it some brake fluid, put the other end up my ass, stick me on a trampoline in a moving elevator and I would write a better album on the wall.
10.11.2011 - 21:16
Rating: 1
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 10.11.2011 at 11:31
13-year olds like me

Still not convinced.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.11.2011 - 21:28
Slayer666

Written by vezzy on 10.11.2011 at 11:31

13-year olds like me

Nice try, VezzyLiarHead. Even your YouTube says you're 20, and we all know nobody ever lied about being over 18 so they could watch flagged videos.
10.11.2011 - 21:36
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Slayer666 on 10.11.2011 at 21:28
Nice try, VezzyLiarHead. Even your YouTube says you're 20, and we all know nobody ever lied about being over 18 so they could watch flagged videos.

I originally set it up as 19, one up over 18, not just so I can watch flagged videos, but because it's fancier than 18. If I actually posted my real age, I wouldn't get a lot of positive comments, would I?

But, what can I say, I am flattered that you find me much more mature than what my age would imply, you Tito-lovin' git.
----
11.11.2011 - 04:37
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by the devil on 11.11.2011 at 04:20

WE GET IT DANIELL, METALLICA SOLD OUT A LONG TIME AGO AND THEY SUCK ASS AND YOU OBVIOUSLY HATE AMERICA

Wha...? How the fuck did you come to that conclussion? He never mentioned America in this review... And the reason that he hardly described the actual music is because there's not much to describe; basic generic heavy/thrash riffs with an old man talking about cutting his legs and tits off.
11.11.2011 - 06:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

and it's a fucking shame because once you remove the stereotypical brow beating, this site actually has potential.

I'm glad we've come that close to meeting your approval. I'm flattered.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.11.2011 - 08:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 11.11.2011 at 04:37
Wha...? How the fuck did you come to that conclussion?

You know he's a troll, right?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.11.2011 - 10:01
Daniell
_爱情_
You guys are not getting it. If you read between the lines, you will see who wrote the post.
11.11.2011 - 10:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.11.2011 at 08:34

You know he's a troll, right?

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of trolls on this site lately...
11.11.2011 - 10:08
vezzy
Stallmanite

WALL OF TEXT

What's up, ponderer?

----
11.11.2011 - 10:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Daniell on 11.11.2011 at 10:01
You guys are not getting it. If you read between the lines, you will see who wrote the post.

Symphony X was the biggest give-away. I was confused for a minute since his post lacked any racial slurs.
----
11.11.2011 - 10:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Ponderer? Not him again...
11.11.2011 - 12:12
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.11.2011 at 10:13

Written by Daniell on 11.11.2011 at 10:01

Symphony X was the biggest give-away. I was confused for a minute since his post lacked any racial slurs.

Funnily enough, I love Symphony X and rated 2 of their albums with a 10
11.11.2011 - 18:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 11:40

Written by blackthor on 06.11.2011 at 13:47

Great album, come on guys open your minds, think a little bit.

You sound like the president of the 2001: A Space Odyssey fan club.

How cute, you must be incredibly butthurt about the fact that everyone was (is) against you to still writting about it.
Your argument is invalid as there's a main difference: the major opinion is that the movie is good, in this case the major opinion about Lulu is that the album sucks.
In other words... you're just seeking attention here, cute indeed... You succeded on that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.11.2011 - 18:09
Rating: 4
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Fyi i just deleted fuckstick's post. no point in allowing him to leave any taint.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.11.2011 - 18:15
JohnDoe
Account deleted
This "open your mind" argument some people bring in to discussion is starting to annoy me; as was the argument that this album took people by surprise and that's why people hate this album. I dislike it because I find it dull, repetitive and sloppy with one of the worst vocal performances ever heard.
11.11.2011 - 19:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 11.11.2011 at 18:15
I dislike it because I find it dull, repetitive and sloppy with one of the worst vocal performances ever heard.

Most of us agree with you but people who don't hate this need a reason to believe we're the ones with the problem so they come up with these ludicrous ideas.
----
11.11.2011 - 19:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's nice to be thought about, even after months have passed <3
11.11.2011 - 19:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 11.11.2011 at 19:22
It's nice to be thought about, even after months have passed <3

Nobody here is thinking about you. >>
----
11.11.2011 - 19:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.11.2011 at 19:24

Nobody here is thinking about you. >>

Oh yes they are. El Presidente spotted the love on this here thread.

Hits total: 26542 | This month: 28