07. Lifestalker
08. Do Not Resuscitate
09. Your Disposal
10. The Monolith
11. Kingdom Of Tyrants

Top 20 albums of 2012: 5

Additional info
The Cephalic Carnage Community Mens Choir:
All current members of hydrogrind band Cephalic Carnage and ex-members Zac Joe and Jawsh Mullen.

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
Cattle Decapitation have taken quite a few significant strides in becoming one of the leaders of the grindcore scene, from some early amateurish goregrind work to a more professional brand of grindcore to their current style of technically-driven deathgrind. That's a whole lot of fancy descriptors for a band that doesn't concern itself with being pigeonholed.

Read more ››
published 09.05.2012 | Comments (16)

Avoid listening to this album with animals nearby. They'll getcha.

Troy Killjoy's picks | More picks ››

Found in 46 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 58   Visited by: 1137 users
05.11.2011 - 05:52
second_coming89
Account deleted
Can't Wait!
05.11.2011 - 23:50
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
So is Rahsaan Davis going to be their studio bassist or are they going to bring in someone else? Someone local maybe...can't think off the top of my head what bassists are available.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.03.2012 - 05:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.11.2011 at 23:50

Someone local maybe...can't think off the top of my head what bassists are available.

Me.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.03.2012 - 13:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.03.2012 at 05:38
Me.

I meant like... a real bassist. You couldn't keep up with Cattle Decap.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.03.2012 - 15:30
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.03.2012 at 13:32

Me.

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.03.2012 - 23:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I've heard your music. And I've listened to a lot of Cattle Decap.

I perfectly estimate your power.
----
17.03.2012 - 14:19
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Played a couple of new songs when I went to see them on Thursday, was pretty immense.
18.03.2012 - 22:08
s7mon
s7mon
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWeTeFn0LhM&feature=player_embedded - this is pretty good stuff.
05.04.2012 - 03:29
Coconut Racecar

Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.03.2012 at 15:30

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.03.2012 at 13:32

Me.

the picture you used to respond, made my night, lol.
12.04.2012 - 14:48
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.03.2012 at 23:49

I've heard your music. And I've listened to a lot of Cattle Decap.

I perfectly estimate your power.

There's no bass in any songs you've heard >.>

I'm actually a decent bassist, I couldn't keep up with CD, but if Motley Crue are hiring...
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.04.2012 - 20:32
The Benighted

Leaked >_>
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
05.05.2012 - 19:01
JD
Account deleted
This album kiss-serious-ass-in-frenchy-style.
06.05.2012 - 06:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I rescind all my negative comments about this album. I listened to the full stream today with the girlfriend and really enjoyed it. Sure the clean vocals and the weird melodic chanting type singing was really out of place, but those elements are so minimal you barely notice them once the entire thing plays through.

The groove influence and breakdown usage adds so much weight to their brand of deathgrind, and the musicianship is obviously top-notch. For those who've considered this "immense" and "huge", they're definitely right on target. Everything about this album does scream "larger than life" in terms of modern extreme metal.
----
07.05.2012 - 05:52
Void Eater
Account deleted
Does anybody else get a bit of a deathcore vibe from this? Maybe they've always had one, I'm not very familiar with their past work, but there was a lot of breakdowns here. Not complaining though, if this is deathcore, then it's the best deathcore album ever recorded.
07.05.2012 - 07:13
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
It wasn't a deathcore output but mixing up with some heavy breakdowns did something add to the flavor. Breakdowns is new. On the first listen I thought its just another gore-grind album with ultra heavy bass and lots of crazy ass screaming. I am through with a third spin and honestly, it opens up with a different horizon and completely raw ass enjoyment stuff. One of their best work they can ever give to their fans.
07.05.2012 - 13:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't get a deathcore vibe at all. Just because they incorporated the use of breakdowns doesn't mean it's a deathcore release. In fact, I think it's just like... technical deathgrind. The songs are too complex to be deathcore, structured in a way that breakdowns are used to add weight to the mix but not used as the foundation of the music.
----
07.05.2012 - 13:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
*yawn* Listened to the stream. Not that impressed. Low 7 or high 6 for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.05.2012 - 20:45
Hendrikse
Account deleted
All I got was Brutal Death Metal mixed in with some bits of meloblack. Really nice album and has grown on me a hell of a lot.
08.05.2012 - 00:06
yosterdude

One of the best records I've heard this year, simply magnificant, I had been waiting for this one sooo much
----
Stay Br00tal!
08.05.2012 - 00:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 07.05.2012 at 20:45
...bits of meloblack...

Where?
----
08.05.2012 - 02:10
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Bits from Kingdom of Tyrants for example. Would get the shiz but on
My phone atm ;/
08.05.2012 - 19:16
Rating: 10
Iskander

So until now, the music we're talking about in this comment section has been described as: deathgrind, goregrind, deathcore, technical deathgrind, brutal death metal and melodic black metal...... ehh, wow.
08.05.2012 - 19:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Well Cattle Decap have always been a grind band - their earlier material being more focused on gore themes, but always maintaining a deathgrind approach.

Void mentioned some deathcore elements in the use of breakdowns, which is inaccurate because deathcore's foundation is built on breakdowns, whereas death and grind breakdowns aren't the primary element in the music. The brutal death metal tag probably comes from the breakdowns as well, and the guttural vocals.

As for black metal... I honestly couldn't tell you. Sometimes Travis kind of shrieks? :/
----
08.05.2012 - 20:48
Iskander

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2012 at 19:45

Well Cattle Decap have always been a grind band - their earlier material being more focused on gore themes, but always maintaining a deathgrind approach.

Void mentioned some deathcore elements in the use of breakdowns, which is inaccurate because deathcore's foundation is built on breakdowns, whereas death and grind breakdowns aren't the primary element in the music. The brutal death metal tag probably comes from the breakdowns as well, and the guttural vocals.

As for black metal... I honestly couldn't tell you. Sometimes Travis kind of shrieks? :/

maybe he meant the new "clean" vocals (i saw someone call them "pirate vocals" on some website... cattle decapitation/alestorm split anyone!? )... they do have a somewhat eerie/dark quality to them.

but anyways, i found the overall sound of the album kinda... don't know how to describe it... high pitched? i don't know if it's the production or my headphones, but it can get somewhat annoying when played on high volume. that's the only thing i'm still confused about/getting used to, otherwise great album (i even like the pirate vocals).
09.05.2012 - 11:21
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Written by Iskander on 08.05.2012 at 20:48

"pirate vocals"

Uh wow, didn't know that's what some people called them . But those clean vocals I really like imo.
09.05.2012 - 19:32
Iskander

Written by Guest on 09.05.2012 at 11:21

Written by Iskander on 08.05.2012 at 20:48

"pirate vocals"

Uh wow, didn't know that's what some people called them . But those clean vocals I really like imo.

haha, i can't remember where i read it, it's even possible it was here on metalstorm... and yeah, i like them aswell. some bands manage to put clean vocals in their music and stay brutal (fleshgod apocalypse is another example) and cattle decapitation did just that on this album, imho.
11.05.2012 - 16:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've just finished listening to this, and (whilst still picking my jaw and brains up off the floor! ) I have no doubts at all, this one is going to be vying for my album of the year. It's rare for any new metal album to truly excite me, even if I love it, but this one genuinely floored me. The melodies are just outstanding, and they've been able to weld this, along with a great technical prowess, to pummeling, utterly vicious grind.

Travis Ryan's vocals are unbeliveable, his range as a death growler is immense, and his cleans are also unique. They have a very ethereal, but also thoroughly "unclean" quality to them. I'm not quite sure how I'd describe his melodic vocals!

It's a very refreshing grindcore release, which is such a rarity, and even more rare that they sound fresh without sacrificing one iota of intensity, mania, or aggression. Awesome stuff!
24.05.2012 - 22:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
So far, this is my favorite album of 2012.

This is more death metal than anything else. I can see it being labeled as deathgrind, which is accurate enough, but surely not grindcore. I don't get why so many people on this site have a hard time with grindcore.
25.05.2012 - 11:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Dangerboner on 24.05.2012 at 22:55
I don't get why so many people on this site have a hard time with grindcore.

When you say that you mean hard time as in "liking grindcore" or "Knowing the differences between grindcore and other genres like deathgrind"?

I didn't really dig this album, I dunno why. It just passed by and I didn't catch anything interesting. Oh well... I can't say it's a bad album though. It just didn't click with me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.05.2012 - 14:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Calling Cattle Decapitation "deathgrind" instead of grindcore, is just arguing semantics really... "Necroticism..." by Carcass is a deathgrind album. There's more grind in Cattle Decapitation's latest than what was on that Carcass album. For me, MOI is a grind album with death metal elements. Sure, you can call that "deathgrind" if you want, but it still just comes down to semantics at the end of the day. If a band has to be equal parts death and equal parts grind to be classed as "deathgrind", then MOI doesn't really fit that category as it is primarily grind.

Hits total: 21460 | This month: 72