03. Ritual
04. Elizabeth
05. Stand By Him
06. Satan Prayer
07. Death Knell
08. Prime Mover
09. Genesis
10. Here Comes The Sun [The Beatles cover] [Japanese bonus]

Ghost are a young band from Stockholm, Sweden formed merely three years ago. I think it won't hurt their feelings to say that they are a part of the let's-go-back-to-the-70s-hard-rock movement. I'm sure that the vast majority of you have heard of these lads before and are wondering about what it is that makes Ghost different, or maybe even better, than The Devil's Blood, Graveyard or In Solitude?

Well, first of all, image. I know that some may think it shouldn't be an important factor when reviewing MUSIC, but let's face it. If they didn't hide their identities, perform in monk-like habits and distort their voices while giving interviews (sorry, one interview), they might've not become so popular. This aura of mysticism certainly attracts a lot of people.

What about music? Is it lost somewhere between the musicians' disguise and unwillingness to reveal what they're truly about? Definitely not. Like I mentioned before, their music is basically going back to the roots of hard rock. On the one hand, they didn't invent anything new. They are a perfect example of recycling in music - creating something new from already existing patterns. On the other hand, this doesn't take away the joy of banging your head to the pieces included on Opus Eponymous. So you have ridiculously simple, yet memorable riffs - just listen to "Con Clavi Con Dio" or "Ritual". They're just so brilliant in their simplicity. There are also melodies that prove that there's a piece of ABBA in every Swede. They're catchy in the "humming in the shower" sense. Yes, I've checked it.

So now, we can move to the lyrics, which are also an important factor when it comes to discussing the band's uniqueness. We're used to satanism in heavy metal so it comes as no surprise Ghost also use satanic themes. But it's all about the way they do it. When you hear words about human sacrifice sung like it was the jolliest moment of their lives, you realize that these guys are not a regular heavy metal band. And that is way scarier than any growled story about mutilating a dead corpse. Then again, can they be 100% serious? I don't doubt that there are some bands that truly believe in what they do (Watain, anyone?), but combining two elements - direct satanic worship and catchy melodies - doesn't sound reliable. But maybe this is what gives me shivers every time I listen to it, it's so unreal and absurd that I subconsciously know it's way more fucked-up than dozens of Gorgoroths, Marduks and Satyricons.

Opus Eponymous is a successful debut. Many bands could learn from Ghost how to call attention. But their image and their music go hand in hand when it comes to the quality and deliberateness. A perfect start and a breath of fresh air in the metal world.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by s7mon | 07.11.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
The album art to this release does a pretty decent job at grabbing your attention and teasing you with what is to come. The cover, featuring an evil, blue skeletal ghost necro-pope looming massively over a large, creepy mansion, is an homage to Salem's Lot.

Stylistically it could best be described as a homage to the late 60's proto-metal "evil" psychedelic rock bands crossbred with evil early 80's bands. Think Mercyful Oyster Sabbath. Largely catchy retro-psychedelic rock based with the occasional foray into post-Priest metal riffing patterns. Aside from the guitars, groovy bass, and drums there is also an organ that helps with intros and permeates the songs, providing the tracks with a cloaking, sinister fog. The vocals are clean and sung. No shouting, nor growling, or King Diamond falsetto? they're a bit iffy, but clean and catchy enough that they wouldn't seem out of place on your local classic rock station.

Read more ››
published 28.02.2011 | Comments (17)

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 177 users
07.11.2011 - 19:33
Rating: 10
The Galactician

My experience with this record is that people either love it, totally hate it, or don't have any idea what to do with it. I for one love it. If you take Mercyful Fate and shmoosh them together with Blue Oyster Cult you're getting pretty close to Ghost's sound (and their singer reminds me of a later era Snake from Voivod). I was incredibly bummed they couldn't get into the US in support of Enslaved this year. Stupid visas!
07.11.2011 - 19:54
Rating: 6
Milena
gloom cookie
I think the disguise is there to create a 'cult' sort of feel. A nice review, interesting writing style and all, keep it going! I for one didn't like this album very much, although hearing that style after forty years of it's absence is quite refreshing for the scene, I find it to be a very nice idea but I'm not crazy about the final product.
----
7.0 means the album is good
07.11.2011 - 20:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Nice review, although you basically just rehashed what BitterCOld pointed out and gave it a higher score.

I checked out a few songs on Youtube in ... I dunno, January or something. Left disappointed. It's good for revivalist stuff (getting sick of using that word, apparently nobody wants to make new music) but not better than anything they try to mimic.

Quote:
There are also melodies that prove that there's a piece of ABBA in every Swede.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.11.2011 - 20:45
Slayer666

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.11.2011 at 20:43

Nice review, although you basically just rehashed what BitterCOld pointed out and gave it a higher score.

[/qoute]

This, but Bitter's review wins due to the "abruptly comes to an" part.
Still, nice review and a surprisingly good album, considering how outside of my borders it is.
07.11.2011 - 20:48
Rating: 8
s7mon
s7mon
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.11.2011 at 20:43

Thanks I haven't read BitterCOld's review, so all the similarities are unintentional.
07.11.2011 - 20:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by s7mon on 07.11.2011 at 20:48
Thanks I haven't read BitterCOld's review, so all the similarities are unintentional.

I think that just goes to show you even people who think the same things about an album judge the end result differently. Gotta love differing tastes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.11.2011 - 21:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Weird how you lumped In Solitude in there when they are clearly metal and the other bans you mentioned and Ghost are not. other than that nice review.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.11.2011 - 22:16
eponymous

I only heard this last month and fell in love with it immediately. Great album, and I'm hoping they'll make another one soon.
11.07.2015 - 20:12
Netzach
Planewalker
They are not from Stockholm.
11.07.2015 - 23:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Netzach on 11.07.2015 at 20:12

As far as I know the vocalist is from Stockholm and he is the main man and only realy member of Ghost.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.07.2015 - 14:16
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.07.2015 at 23:47

As far as I know the vocalist is from Stockholm and he is the main man and only realy member of Ghost.

They usually market gigs in Linköping as "hometown gigs"
12.07.2015 - 14:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Netzach on 12.07.2015 at 14:16

hahahaha more fun and mysterious form their side
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.07.2015 - 15:04
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.07.2015 at 14:28

Written by Netzach on 12.07.2015 at 14:16

hahahaha more fun and mysterious form their side

Yup, hard to know exactly but a few of the members can often be found at a certain bar here...

Also the church on the debut artwork is suspiciously similar to the Linköping cathedral - and they recently released a beer named "Lincopia", go figure

Hits total: 10564 | This month: 7