Metal Storm logo
Ulcerate - Sign With Relapse Records

Relapse Records press release

Relapse Records is extremely proud to announce the signing of New Zealand progressive death metallers Ulcerate.

Ulcerate (Paul Kelland: Bass/vocals, Michael Hoggard: Guitars, William Cleverdon: Guitars, and Jamie Saint Merat: Drums) formed in 2000 and has previously released three full-length albums. The band's latest album, The Destroyers Of All, was released earlier this year and received international critical acclaim for its blend of ambitious songwriting and unorthodox extremity. Ulcerate will enter the studio next fall to begin recording their Relapse debut.

Ulcerate's Jamie Saint Merat commented on the signing and the band's upcoming tour dates: "Working with Relapse is a very logical next step for us, and we're really looking forward to the partnership. Their presence of quality releases regardless of genre, overarching aesthetic and attention to detail is something that we find very natural to align with, as well as being fans of the label's releases well before the band was even started. In terms of what's next for the Ulcerate, 2012 will be a big year for us - in February we're touring Europe for 23 dates with our good friends in Svart Crown, followed up by Maryland Deathfest X and accompanying side-shows in the US in May, New Zealand shows in December (2011) and January, and a tentative return to Australia mid-year. We'll also begin work on album number 4..."

An official listing of tour dates will be announced shortly. For additional information on Ulcerate, stay tuned to www.relapse.com, the Ulcerate official site, Facebook or MySpace page.

Source: relapse.com
Band profile: Ulcerate
Posted: 08.11.2011 by White Winter Sun

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 20   Visited by: 57 users
08.11.2011 - 01:05
Panzerchrist
Account deleted
I approve of this message.
08.11.2011 - 01:06
malaikat

Awesome! Glad that these guys ended up with a respected publisher. One of my TOP10 bands for sure. Maybe I get the chance to even buy one of their CD's in my country now that they are with Relapse.
08.11.2011 - 03:47
SelfXPlanetOrE

That's... sick. In a good way of course.
08.11.2011 - 05:52
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
AnB, Brutal Truth, Baroness , Antigama, Cephalic Carnage, Converge, origin , Nile !!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't know so much of these good bands were at Relapse.
08.11.2011 - 08:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Good for them; they deserve it. Would've liked to know how many albums the contract is good for.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.11.2011 - 10:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 05:52

... Nile !!!!!!!!!!!
.... at Relapse.

Nile were on Relapse. Last two albums were released by Nuclear Blast
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.11.2011 - 10:46
malaikat

ADD ON:

Someone should really do justice and change Ulcerate's genre to post-death metal or smth.

"Brutal death metal" just doesn't do justice to them.
08.11.2011 - 21:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by malaikat on 08.11.2011 at 10:46
Someone should really do justice and change Ulcerate's genre to post-death metal or smth.

People are too quick to use the post- tag. What's next, post-post-metal?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.11.2011 - 22:34
malaikat

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.11.2011 at 21:47

Well, in terms of general art history, we are living in a postmodern era. If there are postmodern books, films, paintings, plays, why shouldn't there be a postmodern (metal) music?

Second, if one band sounds like "post-death metal" should sound, it's deffinitely Ulcerate.
08.11.2011 - 23:53
Misfit74

Ulcerate looks to have staying-power and a deal like this only confirms that. Very good, original band within it's genre that pushes the limits to new heights. I hope they continue to diversify but stay heavy (or get MORE heavy!).
10.11.2011 - 02:45
aporyon

Written by malaikat on 08.11.2011 at 22:34

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.11.2011 at 21:47

Well, in terms of general art history, we are living in a postmodern era. If there are postmodern books, films, paintings, plays, why shouldn't there be a postmodern (metal) music?

Second, if one band sounds like "post-death metal" should sound, it's deffinitely Ulcerate.

you guys have serious problems if you think thats even relevant
10.11.2011 - 03:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by aporyon on 10.11.2011 at 02:45

A band's genre being relevant? Sure. I'm not overly concerned but it's a nice topic of conversation.
----
10.11.2011 - 12:32
malaikat

Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.11.2011 at 03:02

A band's genre being relevant? Sure. I'm not overly concerned but it's a nice topic of conversation.

Concureth.
10.11.2011 - 20:08
aporyon

Quote:

The thing is that to tag this music with one specific genre doesn't change the fact that they are playing death metal, they just add their own style but is laughable to say they play "post" death metal. What makes it post? the disonance? the rythms? blah, that's pure crap.
10.11.2011 - 20:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by aporyon on 10.11.2011 at 20:08

The thing is that to tag this music with one specific genre doesn't change the fact that they are playing death metal, they just add their own style but is laughable to say they play "post" death metal. What makes it post? the disonance? the rythms? blah, that's pure crap.

Except a lot of people have identified this band with the likes of Neurosis, as well as the undeniable fact Ulcerate's brand of death metal is somewhat unique in the current climate. By your argument we should do away with the likes of: Traditional Doom, Funeral Doom, Drone Doom, Doom/Death, Blackened Doom and a whole bunch more within the doom genre alone. You're just another complainer about "genres". Nothing wrong with that per-se but if you haven't noticed we metallers tend to enjoy discussing and segregating bands into nice little subsets. Ulcerate are a definite candidate for "post-death metal"
10.11.2011 - 20:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 10.11.2011 at 20:17
Ulcerate are a definite candidate for "post-death metal"

Exactly. The genre itself may not yet exist (kind of in the works like djent) but Ulcerate would pretty much be the poster boys for post-death.
----
10.11.2011 - 20:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.11.2011 at 20:19

Exactly. The genre itself may not yet exist (kind of in the works like djent) but Ulcerate would pretty much be the poster boys for post-death.

Well genres appear when collectives of people adopt them so when a term becomes "official" is a rather blurry line. That or journalists promote new categories of their own volition and it catches on.
10.11.2011 - 20:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 10.11.2011 at 20:21
Well genres appear when collectives of people adopt them so when a term becomes "official" is a rather blurry line. That or journalists promote new categories of their own volition and it catches on.

That's what I mean...it's just not a common term yet. I'm sure by the end of 2012 we'll have at least a dozen post-death metal bands and RYM and last.fm will adopt the tags more openly.
----
10.11.2011 - 20:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.11.2011 at 20:24

That's what I mean...it's just not a common term yet. I'm sure by the end of 2012 we'll have at least a dozen post-death metal bands and RYM and last.fm will adopt the tags more openly.

Well I hope so. Thus far Flourishing are probably the only Ulcerate-alike band I've heard. The death genre could do with a nice "post" injection.
12.11.2011 - 23:22
aporyon

Quote:
Except a lot of people have identified this band with the likes of Neurosis, as well as the undeniable fact Ulcerate's brand of death metal is somewhat unique in the current climate. By your argument we should do away with the likes of: Traditional Doom, Funeral Doom, Drone Doom, Doom/Death, Blackened Doom and a whole bunch more within the doom genre alone. You're just another complainer about "genres". Nothing wrong with that per-se but if you haven't noticed we metallers tend to enjoy discussing and segregating bands into nice little subsets. Ulcerate are a definite candidate for "post-death metal"

Well it seems like post is the new prog...

Hits total: 2241 | This month: 5