Metal Storm logo
How To Like Post-Metal In 10 Albums

Here is another list for people to like some less popular genres of metal. Now, post metal...chargee!

PS.: There are many bands that are not really metal, but it's necessary to know them to enjoy the full potencial of post metal.

Created by: Nacur | 05.03.2010

1. Cult Of Luna - Salvation
2. Dead Can Dance - Into The Labyrinth
3. Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
4. From Oceans To Autumn - Calmed By The Tides
5. God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright
6. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
7. Isis - Panopticon
8. Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm
9. Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw
10. The Ocean - Precambrian

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Nacur ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 9   Visited by: 141 users
09.11.2011 - 03:11
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Some bands here might interest you

nice list anyway
09.11.2011 - 03:28
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Dead Can Dance, God is an Astronaut and Explosions in the Sky are not post metal bands.
09.11.2011 - 04:30
Nacur
Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 03:28

Dead Can Dance, God is an Astronaut and Explosions in the Sky are not post metal bands.

I know that...o.O
Well, that's why I wrote "PS.: There are many bands that are not really metal, but it's necessary to know them to enjoy the full potencial of post metal."

Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 03:11

Some bands here might interest you

nice list anyway

Thanks for the link, nice albums there.
09.11.2011 - 11:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw will forever be one of my all-time favourite albums.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.11.2011 - 21:47
IronAngel
Why is it necessary to know some contemporary mainstream post-rock to appreciate atmospheric sludge metal (so-called "post-metal")? I do understand that the genre borrows a lot from post-rock, but certainly not from God Is An Astronaut. (And let's not even get into my disdain for EITS - you can read about that in my post-rock list and the genre topic.) The genre pretty much predates the band. And I think post-metal has more in common with derivatives of hardcore and sludge anyhow, so maybe you should mention some landmarks in that direction too. (Eyehategod and co. maybe.)

Even more perplexed about Into The Labyrinth. Dead Can Dance are one of my favorite bands, but I really don't see the connection between them and post-metal. Not even when they were post-punk (self-titled album) or darkwave (Spleen And Ideal, Within The Realm...), but certainly not the ethnic/"world music" of the album you mentioned.

Not saying your albums aren't good, though. Many of them are very nice. I just don't see how this is an essential guide into the genre.
10.11.2011 - 01:37
Nacur
Written by IronAngel on 09.11.2011 at 21:47

Why is it necessary to know some contemporary mainstream post-rock to appreciate atmospheric sludge metal (so-called "post-metal")? I do understand that the genre borrows a lot from post-rock, but certainly not from God Is An Astronaut. (And let's not even get into my disdain for EITS - you can read about that in my post-rock list and the genre topic.) The genre pretty much predates the band. And I think post-metal has more in common with derivatives of hardcore and sludge anyhow, so maybe you should mention some landmarks in that direction too. (Eyehategod and co. maybe.)

Even more perplexed about Into The Labyrinth. Dead Can Dance are one of my favorite bands, but I really don't see the connection between them and post-metal. Not even when they were post-punk (self-titled album) or darkwave (Spleen And Ideal, Within The Realm...), but certainly not the ethnic/"world music" of the album you mentioned.

Not saying your albums aren't good, though. Many of them are very nice. I just don't see how this is an essential guide into the genre.

You know, when I made this list I was thinking in a person that is not familiar, at all, with post-metal, but the "instrumental music" part of it. Because here in MS, he will probably know something about the sludge/atmospheric face, that influence post-metal bands like Isis or Neurosis. But he won't know this instrumental face, which influence bands like Pelican, From Oceans To Autumn, 5ive, If These Trees Could Talk and a whole lot of bands.

And I have to disagree with you when you say the genre does not borrow things from bands like God is an Astronaut, listen to the self-title album of God is an Astronaut, and then listen to, let's say, City of Echoes from Pelican, or Long Distance Calling, you can see a lot of things in common, not that they borrow things directly from God, but they have points in common.

The point that I have to agree with you is about EITS, I do not know why I put them here....xD

About DCD, well, I think every atmospheric/sludge/post act can learn a lot from them, so listening their albums is awesome for every person, even if he is after death metal......xD...just kidding (or not, if you have ever listened to Lykathae Aflame - Elvenefris)

So, what I tried to do is introduce them to some instrumental acts, like someone shows Led Zeppelin to a guy that is trying to get into metal, so that their adventure into Post-metal was more enjoyable...xD

I hope to have answered you....like, maybe this is not the best list, but I really think it reaches it's purpose.
10.11.2011 - 01:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I think, considering the limitations (10 albums), you've done a marvelous job.

I know how hard it is to help people "get into" say, black or death metal based on only 10 albums. So many sub-genres, old classics, new classics, underground stuff worth mentioning, popular stuff that might be wrongfully hated for no other reason than popularity...and then there's a matter of your personal favorites regardless of universal acceptance.

I say good job.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.11.2011 - 02:09
IronAngel
Well, I just figure there would've been better choices even if you wanted to show some post-rock influences. GIAA released their debut in 2002 and only really became big with the 2005 record you listed (contemporary to Rosetta's debut, for example). Neurosis released their biggest classic in 1996, almost ten years earlier. If you wanted to feature that kind of post-rock, why not go for something older and more influential (and better, IMO) like Mogwai's Young Team or CODY? There's also heavier and more relevant contemporary stuff like Mouth Of The Architect and Russian Circles. GIAA and EITS seem very random picks that don't have a lot of relevance for someone interested in post-metal and its influences.

I would personally recommend Swans for this list. Soundtracks For The Blind and White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity are really formative records, maybe The Great Annihilator and Children Of God too (though the latter is maybe too raw for the list). And how about Godflesh's Streetcleaner and Jesu's self-titlted or Sun Down/Sun Rise? I also really don't think you should completely ignore Breach, one of the earlier representatives of the modern atmospheric sludge sound. They released most of their stuff in the 90s too.

Anyway, I know it's pretty silly to grill you over a small list made long ago. You're probably not interested in revising it at this point, but I'm just tossing some options out there if you consider expanding it at some point. I still definetely don't think Dead Can Dance belong here, no matter how amazing they are. Atmospheric music is dime in a dozen, and just arbitrarily naming your favorite darkwave/world music band seems, well, arbitrary.
10.11.2011 - 02:33
Nacur
Written by IronAngel on 10.11.2011 at 02:09

Well, I just figure there would've been better choices even if you wanted to show some post-rock influences. GIAA released their debut in 2002 and only really became big with the 2005 record you listed (contemporary to Rosetta's debut, for example). Neurosis released their biggest classic in 1996, almost ten years earlier. If you wanted to feature that kind of post-rock, why not go for something older and more influential (and better, IMO) like Mogwai's Young Team or CODY? There's also heavier and more relevant contemporary stuff like Mouth Of The Architect and Russian Circles. GIAA and EITS seem very random picks that don't have a lot of relevance for someone interested in post-metal and its influences.

I would personally recommend Swans for this list. Soundtracks For The Blind and White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity are really formative records, maybe The Great Annihilator and Children Of God too (though the latter is maybe too raw for the list). And how about Godflesh's Streetcleaner and Jesu's self-titlted or Sun Down/Sun Rise? I also really don't think you should completely ignore Breach, one of the earlier representatives of the modern atmospheric sludge sound. They released most of their stuff in the 90s too.

Anyway, I know it's pretty silly to grill you over a small list made long ago. You're probably not interested in revising it at this point, but I'm just tossing some options out there if you consider expanding it at some point. I still definetely don't think Dead Can Dance belong here, no matter how amazing they are. Atmospheric music is dime in a dozen, and just arbitrarily naming your favorite darkwave/world music band seems, well, arbitrary.

I really thank you for saying all this stuff...and maybe people that read this list now, and read the coments, will have a lot more things to look for and enjoy this great genre of music! =D

Hits total: 4027 | This month: 14