‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]
Users visited: 331  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by king_matt on 09.11.2011 at 21:49
What are some metal bands that are popular here on Metalsotrm that you don't like/never cared for?

For me it would be Immolation. I've listened to a couple of their albums, but none really appeal to me.

Page 9 of 9

Uldreth

25.01.2014 at 23:40
Written by no one on 21.01.2014 at 20:52

I must listen to "Meshuggah" one day, seems to get a lot of dislikes on here

This would be a good place to start, imo.
----
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 07:06

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.

-Troy on trancecore
no one

26.01.2014 at 01:08
Written by Uldreth on 25.01.2014 at 23:40

This would be a good place to start, imo.

only got 5 mins in...not my cup of whiskey
Azarath

26.01.2014 at 21:02
Most bands? Meshuggah doesn't do anything for me (which I can now say with even more certainty than before after listening to what an apparent fan called "a good place to start").
Uldreth

26.01.2014 at 21:43
Written by Azarath on 26.01.2014 at 21:02

Most bands? Meshuggah doesn't do anything for me (which I can now say with even more certainty than before after listening to what an apparent fan called "a good place to start").

Well, it is not most accessible Meshuggah obviously (song length if nothing else), but I'd say that track/EP summarizes Meshuggah nicely so yeah, not your cup of tea then it seems.

Could try this too though.
----

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.

-Troy on trancecore
Lit.
Brütal Legend

26.01.2014 at 21:45
Written by no one on 26.01.2014 at 01:08

only got 5 mins in...not my cup of whiskey

Written by Azarath on 26.01.2014 at 21:02

Uldeth is fucking bonkers if her thinks I is a good place to start with Meshuggah, because it most certainly is not. If you want something more easy to take in, try these:

At any rate, though, they're more of a band you warm up to, rather than get immediately. Destroy, Erase, Improve was my first album by them, and it took a couple of spins to fully appreciate it, same with I.
----
REPUBLICAN CAR!
Uldreth

26.01.2014 at 21:55
Written by Lit. on 26.01.2014 at 21:45

Uldeth is fucking bonkers if her thinks I is a good place to start with Meshuggah, because it most certainly is not. If you want something more easy to take in, try these:

As I said, although I guess you didn't see it, since I posted it not long ago, I don't think I is accessible or easy at all, but it summarizes Meshuggah the best.

Old Meshuggah is more listenable but the band doesn't really make that kind of music anymore, so I think it is safe to say that on average, someone's opinion of I coincides the best with someone's overall opinion of Meshuggah, if you understand what I mean.
----

-Troy on trancecore
Azarath

27.01.2014 at 21:49
Written by Uldreth on 26.01.2014 at 21:43

so yeah, not your cup of tea then it seems.

Of course, I am a melodic metal music fag, so it's not much of a surprise that this extremely rhythmic approach isn't to my liking. But I did take the time to listen to these recommendations because, you know, it would be rude not to. Still not my cup of tea, though I quite liked "Future Breed Machine" because it had the good sense to be more "dynamic" than the usual dense flurry of riffs and rhythms I get from this band.
Monolithic
♠♠♠

27.01.2014 at 21:58
Behemoth
Uldreth

28.01.2014 at 00:02
Written by Azarath on 27.01.2014 at 21:49

Written by Uldreth on 26.01.2014 at 21:43

so yeah, not your cup of tea then it seems.

Of course, I am a melodic metal music fag, so it's not much of a surprise that this extremely rhythmic approach isn't to my liking. But I did take the time to listen to these recommendations because, you know, it would be rude not to. Still not my cup of tea, though I quite liked "Future Breed Machine" because it had the good sense to be more "dynamic" than the usual dense flurry of riffs and rhythms I get from this band.

DEI is a pretty "normal" album by Meshuggah's standards, basically it is a lot like a weird groove metal album. They started doing their djentle djenty djentings with Nothing, although Chaosphere is also quite weird in that regard, I'd personally say, it is more like a mechanical-sounding mathcore album than what Shuggah did afterwards, though I guess this viewpoint of mine would not be very popular.
----

-Troy on trancecore
Azarath

28.01.2014 at 23:30
Written by Uldreth on 28.01.2014 at 00:02

DEI is a pretty "normal" album by Meshuggah's standards, basically it is a lot like a weird groove metal album. They started doing their djentle djenty djentings with Nothing,...

I see. So basically what you're saying is that the band doesn't really sound anything like that one track I sort of like?
Uldreth

29.01.2014 at 02:09
Written by Azarath on 28.01.2014 at 23:30

Written by Uldreth on 28.01.2014 at 00:02

DEI is a pretty "normal" album by Meshuggah's standards, basically it is a lot like a weird groove metal album. They started doing their djentle djenty djentings with Nothing,...

I see. So basically what you're saying is that the band doesn't really sound anything like that one track I sort of like?

Yes and no. You would probably like Contradictions Collapse, Destroy Erase Improve and maybe Chaosphere but not anything they did after.

The band progressed quite a lot and they moved away from that sound, but at the time they sounded like it, so it is not limited to just that one track
----

-Troy on trancecore
deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

29.01.2014 at 02:33
I only like DEI. Contradictions Collapse had it's moments but overall lacked consistency.

Anything after DEI gets too wierd for me.

Looking at MS Top 200 album charts, here are bands popular on MS that I really don't like:

Agalloch
Avantasia
Be'lakor
Cynic
Dissection
Dream Theater
Ensiferum
Enslaved
Insomnium
Judas Priest (also the only metal band my wife hates even though she is not a metal head.)
Kamelot
Queensrÿche
Wintersun

There's a lot of other bands I don't like but these ones are obviously some that people will discuss.
Cynic Metalhead
Atrocious Virgin

29.01.2014 at 10:47
Written by deadone on 29.01.2014 at 02:33

Looking at MS Top 200 album charts, here are bands popular on MS that I really don't like:

Agalloch
Avantasia
Be'lakor
Cynic
Dissection
Dream Theater
Ensiferum
Enslaved
Insomnium
Judas Priest (also the only metal band my wife hates even though she is not a metal head.)
Kamelot

There's a lot of other bands I don't like but these ones are obviously some that people will discuss.

Queensrÿche
Wintersun

Basically what's popular on MS you hate that? Eh?

And this coming from you who has liked one of shittiest albums to date. Its hilarious you rate new Carcass as 10 which for me was boring fucking reunion, you rate new CoB 8, which was very ugly record to come out with it, now the most funny thing you rate 7(which is "good") to that dumpster from Megadave which my pig won't listen to. You gave 7 to Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell which was absolute crap.

Now, the conclusion drawn upon is that ones you "never cared for" is far better than your musical taste, Mr Civil Servant.

Even if you try to take a jab on someone, you've actually failed to it.
----
Uldreth

29.01.2014 at 13:46
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.01.2014 at 10:47

Written by deadone on 29.01.2014 at 02:33

Agalloch
Avantasia
Be'lakor
Cynic
Dissection
Dream Theater
Ensiferum
Enslaved
Insomnium
Kamelot

Queensrÿche
Wintersun

Basically what's popular on MS you hate that? Eh?

And this coming from you who has liked one of shittiest albums to date. Its hilarious you rate new Carcass as 10 which for me was boring fucking reunion, you rate new CoB 8, which was very ugly record to come out with it, now the most funny thing you rate 7(which is "good") to that dumpster from Megadave which my pig won't listen to. You gave 7 to Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell which was absolute crap.

Now, the conclusion drawn upon is that ones you "never cared for" is far better than your musical taste, Mr Civil Servant.

Even if you try to take a jab on someone, you've actually failed to it.

Jab at someone?

What the FUCK are you on about?
----

-Troy on trancecore
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

29.01.2014 at 15:40
Written by Uldreth on 29.01.2014 at 13:46
Jab at someone?
What the FUCK are you on about?

I doubt even he knows...
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

30.01.2014 at 00:33
No jab at anyone.

If we are discussing bands we don't like, there's no point in listing some no-name band no-ones heard of.

Hey I don't like The Wiz'ard or This Future Chaos. Does anyone care? Has anyone actually even heard of them? Hence what's the point of listing them?

And finally Mr CynicMetalhead, are you sure you want to criticise my tastes when you gave the first Soulfly album a 9 or Suicidal Tendencies 13 an 8 or rating Children of Bodom's Blooddrunk the same as Carcass' Heartwork (both an 8)?

Really it doesn't matter - it's your personal taste and no indication of what is quality music which is in itself purely subjective. Someone that's into country or pop or classical might equally say all metal is noisy rubbish.

Finally why insult my occupation?

I think Mr Cynic Metalhead needs to lay off the angry pills.
Lit.
Brütal Legend

30.01.2014 at 01:48
I think "Mr Cynic Metalhead" thinks it's one of those cases where one guy (deadone) decided to pick a bunch of popular bands to get a rise outta someone, and for some reasons, I don't doubt it.

The real laugh here, though, is that they both have horrible taste in music.
----
REPUBLICAN CAR!
deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

30.01.2014 at 02:05
It's amazing I've been accused of hating popular bands when most of the bands I love are some of the most popular ones in Metal.

The only exception is Judas Priest (who I really respect for their contribution to Metal but generally hate their music).

I mean Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Iced Earth, Pantera etc etc are all far more popular in Metalland than Dissection or Cynic or Insomnium, even on Metal Storm:

http://metalstorm.net/bands/
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

30.01.2014 at 05:14
Dead One, I actually care about The Wiz'ard since I really like that band a lot. just like I really enjoy, to name another Aussie doom band, Rituals Of The Oak. But I can understand people not liking those bands.

but indeed what is the point of naming them when only a couple of hundred people on the planet know them. I would also list popular bands that I never cared for.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

30.01.2014 at 05:21
Btw, as I found out a couple of years ago. the more or less band leader of The Wiz'ard used to be a member here of MS
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

30.01.2014 at 05:36
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.01.2014 at 05:14

Dead One, I actually care about The Wiz'ard since I really like that band a lot. just like I really enjoy, to name another Aussie doom band, Rituals Of The Oak. But I can understand people not liking those bands.

but indeed what is the point of naming them when only a couple of hundred people on the planet know them. I would also list popular bands that I never cared for.

Ha! I should've known given you're a massive Doom fan.

I didn't even know they were still around.

I last heard them in either 2005 or 2006 and they sucked bollocks back then. Of course they might've improved since then!
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

30.01.2014 at 12:21
Written by deadone on 30.01.2014 at 05:36

I last heard them in either 2005 or 2006 and they sucked bollocks back then. Of course they might've improved since then!

Yeah they have improved massively since then. When you last heard them they had just been around for a year or two.

Btw, last year they released a new album, so still alive and kicking they are
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Ridley

31.01.2014 at 01:58
I really can't stand Machine Head. I've heard so much of it and it still hasn't stuck, and I can safely say it never will.

Korn, Tool, Slipknot (ew) anything Nu-metal... Not my thing

I've been shown/listened to a shit ton of Metalcore (Thanks to Plug.dj), and I have yet to hear anything I didn't hate out of that subgenre from any band. Just can't get over the serious downtuning, the "Angsty" vocals, and the way that the majority of the songs are constructed.

Lamb of God, Opeth, Gojira, Slayer, COB after HCD, Dragonforce, Fleshgod Apocalypse, (Insert generic Deathcore, Grindcore, etc.), Meshuggah, Mastodon, Iced Earth, Epica (Unforgivable butchering of Verdi's Dies Irae), Texas Hippie Collation, Dimmu Bor(e)gir, and a whole lot of less known bands not really worth mentioning.
----
theFIST

31.01.2014 at 03:06
Written by Ridley on 31.01.2014 at 01:58

I really can't stand Machine Head. I've heard so much of it and it still hasn't stuck, and I can safely say it never will.

I've been shown/listened to a shit ton of Metalcore (Thanks to Plug.dj), and I have yet to hear anything I didn't hate out of that subgenre from any band. Just can't get over the serious downtuning, the "Angsty" vocals, and the way that the majority of the songs are constructed.

Lamb of God, Opeth, Gojira, Slayer, COB after HCD, Dragonforce, Fleshgod Apocalypse, (Insert generic Deathcore, Grindcore, etc.), Meshuggah, Mastodon, Iced Earth, Epica (Unforgivable butchering of Verdi's Dies Irae), Texas Hippie Collation, Dimmu Bor(e)gir, and a whole lot of less known bands not really worth mentioning.

Here some Metalcore that is.... well, different:

Anyways, agreed on not caring about Gojira
also i care that little about doom i don"t even have any band names to mention
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album".
no one

31.01.2014 at 07:09

Good to see someone else who doesn't like tool. Everyone from all genres of metal seem to worship them, but i stopped having any interest in them about 10 years ago.
Aristarchos

03.02.2014 at 19:27
Written by no one on 31.01.2014 at 07:09

Good to see someone else who doesn't like tool. Everyone from all genres of metal seem to worship them, but i stopped having any interest in them about 10 years ago.

I don't like Tool either
Gonzo666

04.02.2014 at 01:02
Amon Amarth....they only ever made one song.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/ChadwickAndo
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
― Hunter S. Thompson
deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

04.02.2014 at 01:05
Written by Gonzo666 on 04.02.2014 at 01:02

Amon Amarth....they only ever made one song.

LOL. I agree with that comment.

I own two albums and really don't see the point in any more. And even one of those (Crusher) is a bit of a dud.

Amon Amarth make AC/DC look innovative.

Though Twilight of the Thunder God is pretty awesome!
Fallen Ghost

09.02.2014 at 23:57
Agalloch. Never listened very closely to them, so I decided to try out a couple of albums. Got bored of The Mantle and Ashes Against The Grain starts very good but is just Okay after the intro.
----
"Even we don't know anything about theory and stuff....but this is a combination of lydian mode and phrygian dominant...and ends with a diminished run starting on F"

- Fredrik Åkesson, guitarplayer of Opeth

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]

Login or register to post here.