Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Christ Illusion Banned In India

Mumbai-based EMI Virgin India Ltd said Friday (October 6) it will recall all copies of the new Slayer album "Christ Illusion" following protests by a Christian group, Mumbai-based Catholic Secular Forum (CSF).

Early this week, Joseph Dias, general secretary of CSF, issued a statement taking "strong exception" to the album's cover artwork, which he said depicts "Christ with a missing eye and amputated arms." He added, "we also condemn the track, 'Skeleton Christ' as the lyrics are an insult to Christianity." The CSF also sent a memorandum to Mumbai's police commissioner, adding that the album "will affect the sensibilities of the Muslims on the track 'Jihad' and secular Indians who have respect for all faiths."

Kaveri Khullar, marketing manager, EMI India said in an interview, "We met with the CSF and were apologetic while assuring them that all copies of the album would be pulled out. We have no plans of re-issuing it in any way."

The "Christ Illusion" album had been on the shelves for only a week. Khullar did not confirm the number of units released only stating, "There weren't too many that we launched anyway."

Source: ultimate-guitar.com
Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 10.10.2006 by Master_o_Puppets

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 54   Visited by: 27 users
11.10.2006 - 12:53
Judas
The Amputator
The album is still available in India, through independent stores that import it from other countries. All it means is that EMI India will not release 'Christ Illusion' themselves, and Indians will have to search harder and fork out an extra 200 rupees for the album. Also, EMI wouldn't have taken this action if Slayer were actually going to make much money for them, whereas if someone had taken offence to Iron Maiden, EMI would have said 'deal with it'.

As for the banning itself, it's typical of India in that the minority groups are being cajoled as usual. The police wouldn't have given a shit (Maharashtra Police is overwhelmingly made up of Marathi Hindus) unless the Muslims took offence, which they didn't. The CSF were the only group to raise a stink about anything. They've got a lot of money; I bet they paid EMI to recall the album, because if EMI had said no, then there wouldn't be much they could do, except complain to the papers etc, giving Slayer more publicity and thus more sales.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
11.10.2006 - 13:51
Syk
myspace/bonerama
So does this mean the title of this article is wrong?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
11.10.2006 - 14:18
Hyvaarin

Written by Damnated on 11.10.2006 at 09:05

a hitler restaurant in India is also a freedom of speech thing. he and what he did is not known there.

----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
11.10.2006 - 15:07
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Those people still haven't learned that bands like Slayer feed off of bad publicity like this. Any form of publicity is good publicity. By throwing a hissy fit over the content of the album, they are simply doing what Slayer wants them to. If they didn't have a cow over how much the content offended them, then maybe we won't have problems like this.
11.10.2006 - 18:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Hyvaarin on 11.10.2006 at 14:18

a hitler restaurant in India is also a freedom of speech thing. he and what he did is not known there.

I mean in India, is Hitler considered THE 'mass murderer' THE 'evil man' or just another mass murderer/evil man? this is my point. Even you don't know what he did. maybe from books, but that's not enough.

btw if I make a Szalasi restaurant in Australia , woud you be offended?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.10.2006 - 19:28
Comrade Frosty
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 11.10.2006 at 13:51

So does this mean the title of this article is wrong?

Yes. There is no ban, and no ban was threatened by police, at least not according to the article. The entire conversation smacks of typical metalhead persecution complex really...We've really got to get over ourselves as a group: some of the music we love offends and is outright hate-inciting against a lot of people. We can't complain when those people campaign to ban it. Sure, we can say that we wouldn't in their position, (which i sincerely doubt) but we can't really complain about their actions.

We are a tiny minority with rather extreme and un-representative-of-society's-norms-and-accepted-standards musical taste (assuming everyone contributing is a slayer/BM fan), and as such we should really expect to have our music withdrawn and protested against, which is standard and expected human behaviour. Despite which, its happened so often in the past. Get over it and get used to it. Even if being outraged the first time is understandable, why should it come as a shock, and why should people be comparing it to the actions of an insane fascist regime that slaughtered millions?
11.10.2006 - 20:27
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Quote:
Yes. There is no ban, and no ban was threatened by police, at least not according to the article. The entire conversation smacks of typical metalhead persecution complex really...We've really got to get over ourselves as a group: some of the music we love offends and is outright hate-inciting against a lot of people. We can't complain when those people campaign to ban it. Sure, we can say that we wouldn't in their position, (which i sincerely doubt) but we can't really complain about their actions.

We are a tiny minority with rather extreme and un-representative-of-society's-norms-and-accepted-standards musical taste (assuming everyone contributing is a slayer/BM fan), and as such we should really expect to have our music withdrawn and protested against, which is standard and expected human behaviour. Despite which, its happened so often in the past. Get over it and get used to it. Even if being outraged the first time is understandable, why should it come as a shock, and why should people be comparing it to the actions of an insane fascist regime that slaughtered millions?

Precisely! Sometimes Im amazed at other metalheads' ignorance when it comes to situations like these. Acting just as hate-filled as the music they love so much. All of us on this forum love metal but sometimes you have to see it from other people's point of view and consider that certain things you just cant say because it will cause outrage.
11.10.2006 - 20:50
PrettyMao

Written by Damnated on 10.10.2006 at 17:31

it isn't worse then banning a hitler named restaurant

I don't really get this... Why would someone name their Hitler "Restaurant"?

And for what reasons is Restaurant (formerly known as Hitler) banned? And what is Restaurant banned from? Did Restaurant hit somebody's cow with his car and is now banned from joining the local 4H club?

So many questions....
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
11.10.2006 - 21:15
Damnated
Churchburner
very funny. there's a thread about this on MS, in the general forums. read there if you're interested.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.10.2006 - 01:50
Hyvaarin

Written by Damnated on 11.10.2006 at 18:15

Written by Hyvaarin on 11.10.2006 at 14:18

I mean in India, is Hitler considered THE 'mass murderer' THE 'evil man' or just another mass murderer/evil man? this is my point. Even you don't know what he did. maybe from books, but that's not enough.

btw if I make a Szalasi restaurant in Australia , woud you be offended?

While Hitler may not be as significant to Indians as he is to others, I still think that knowledge and condemnation of his deeds is strong enough for a restaurant called "Hitler" to cause a big stir.

Incidentally, it's not the same thing with Szalasi. He is NOWHERE NEAR as famous (or "evil", judging by what I've read) as Hitler. And if he was, his name doesn't stand for the racial persecution, etc. that Hitler's does (my knowledge of Szalasi is hardly exhaustive, though ) - it's this that causes offense/outrage.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
12.10.2006 - 06:41
Damnated
Churchburner
Szalasi did the same as Hitler, only on a smaller scale
----

12.10.2006 - 07:57
bang
Account deleted
ah crap.as an indian im hating my country for this!!!so fucking gay!
pfft...i dnt get why people cant understand its juz music and stuff...and it doesnt have to be something tht affects everyone..and that every1 has their own personal choice about how they want to be affected by such music.banning the album isnt gonna stop slayer fans frm ordering it frm smwhere else or whteva.i dont see the point..
12.10.2006 - 10:58
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Damn christian Indian conservatives...
12.10.2006 - 16:22
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
well to many its not just music...its offensive and threatening to many people so even if it's "only music" its still very serious. If someone attacks your belief system and do it to such an extent as the guys from Slayer did in this album then of course its going to cause a lot of outrage. To some people religion is the most important thing in their lives....if someone insulted or went out of their way to bad mouth something/someone that is the most important thing in my life then i would be fuckin upset as well. And when something like this happens at a large scale and offends possibly millions then you stand no chance.

Freedom of speech is one thing, theres many things that i dont agree with or like but i dont go out of my way to spew hate at it.
12.10.2006 - 17:21
Cryogenic_Death

----
||SPACE FOR RENT||
13.10.2006 - 14:56
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Once again we see that freedom of speech is a way too new invention.. This sucks, but yes, people saw it coming. It will take a long time for censorship to go away from this planet. I'm a christian and I believe in God, but I don't see Slayer's lyrics as an offence, but as another point of wiew.
15.10.2006 - 22:39
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Cryogenic_Death on 12.10.2006 at 17:21

Hilarious!
07.12.2006 - 20:30
Usurpus
Account deleted
Pretty Mao, regarding your comment on Bollywood couples not kissing on screen, apparently a new Bollywood film shows a couple kissing and there has been utter uproar in India over it.

This whole business with India banning Christ Illusion, I find it completly amusing and very typical of these 'holier than thou' Christians. Surprisingly I haven't read of any hardcore Muslims going apeshit over 'Jihad'. Maybe they like Slayer?
29.01.2007 - 03:50
Cthulhu
Account deleted
As an historian I am not surprised by this. Narrow-minded religious scum always repress those who oppose or challenge the legitimacy of their particular imaginary friend. The world would be a much better place if all the assorted priests of all the religions were taken to Antarctica and left to die in the cold, never to be heard from again. Christians ban what they find offensive, I wonder how they would like it if everybody else banned their offensive, narrow-minded, bigoted fantasies.
02.02.2007 - 03:31
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Man, I can't believe they banned such a great album just because of religion. It's sickening.
03.04.2007 - 09:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 10.10.2006 at 23:29

Ive sait id once and I will say it again...

if SLAYER had a country which practised the religion of SLAYER, they would ban all the Christian Pop-Rock in the world.

The Door swings both ways kids. Doesnt matter if its religious or not... its a matter of opinion.

(yeah I know this is old news) but wow, as crazy as that is it makes alot of sense when you put it that way.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.04.2008 - 22:31
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
well i have read most of your comments and let me say you guys really fools and your Head fucked up with things you don't even know
offending religions like that don't forget that god created you ,and gave you the ears that you use them to listen to metal so if wasn't for god you wouldn't even have ears to listen to the music that has become what your whole life is about.
what do slayer knows about those religions to talk about it like that what do they know about Islam or Muslims or jihad to talk about it like that? i don't recall that one of salyer's members lost a son or a father during the war that is happening in Israel or Iraq .? i don't recall that any of slayer's members watched his mother being raped and he couldn't even cry or do anything to stop it . i dont remember that any of slayer's member hold his brother while he is bleeding from every single thing in his body just because he is a Muslim or Arabian you guys talk about democracy and freedom of Speech and Expression well how about you tell me where is the democracy when someone come and force you with a gun in his hands to go out from your home and smash your home in front of your eyes and if you were lucky enough they will let you take your kids before they smash the building over their heads . and give your land to others. just because you are a Muslim .<yep thats the great democracy you guys are talking about . you guys dont know what you are talking about , . but i do ...hell i fucking lived it second by second . am not telling you this so you could cry on us but all what am asking is to respect the suffering we suffer
metal isn't about insulting god metal isn't about offending other's thoughts and believes this is not why black sabbath created the metal music . and slayer knows that but they just insult more things in their lyrics . so they cause more talking about their album so everyone buy it and see what the hell this album is talking about.. I am a big hater for this metal era from 90s until now because its all about the money Even big bands like slayer has been sold out . with all my respect to slayer and their music but they forgot what metal is all about and it will come right back at them someday . like what happened with metallica
25.09.2008 - 16:03
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
at first i wanted to write something in response to the ardent post above me but gave up cos that would be a long off-topic one.

btw, what the fuck do they think? censorship acts just the opposite and encourages ppl more :p they don't seem to know anything about human nature... this OLD news made me listen to Jihad, Skeleton Christ right now and take another look at the cover!!
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
04.10.2009 - 21:40
bulldozerash

I totally agree with Muhannad Saleh .... you are the guy man... u just pointed at the thing that i am considering.... i think that this root that slayer keeps going is just kerry fucking king's attitude toward life and god... i just remembered an interview where araya said he didnt even believe in what he's singing or screaming or whatever the fuck it is.... who cares what is islam ? they just listen to this fucking media and trust that ... even superstars like slayer members are influenced by that

Hits total: 7773 | This month: 20