Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Christ Illusion Banned In India

Mumbai-based EMI Virgin India Ltd said Friday (October 6) it will recall all copies of the new Slayer album "Christ Illusion" following protests by a Christian group, Mumbai-based Catholic Secular Forum (CSF).

Early this week, Joseph Dias, general secretary of CSF, issued a statement taking "strong exception" to the album's cover artwork, which he said depicts "Christ with a missing eye and amputated arms." He added, "we also condemn the track, 'Skeleton Christ' as the lyrics are an insult to Christianity." The CSF also sent a memorandum to Mumbai's police commissioner, adding that the album "will affect the sensibilities of the Muslims on the track 'Jihad' and secular Indians who have respect for all faiths."

Kaveri Khullar, marketing manager, EMI India said in an interview, "We met with the CSF and were apologetic while assuring them that all copies of the album would be pulled out. We have no plans of re-issuing it in any way."

The "Christ Illusion" album had been on the shelves for only a week. Khullar did not confirm the number of units released only stating, "There weren't too many that we launched anyway."

Source: ultimate-guitar.com
Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 10.10.2006 by Master_o_Puppets

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 54   Visited by: 27 users
10.10.2006 - 16:29
Baz Anderson

how many times do we see albums banned in different countries, etc.
im sure the people in India that want the album will easily find another way of getting their hands on it

isnt religion a sad thing - how it leads to things happening like this
10.10.2006 - 16:52
Hyvaarin

Truly pathetic.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
10.10.2006 - 17:17
Valar
IndianSteel
Its disgusting!!
Firstly India doesnt have a huge number of catholic population.
How can they be so damn concerned when the churches or the catholic communities in USA or UK with much much large population dont have any problem. Even if there is a problem it isnt banned there.
THIS SUCKS BIG TIME!!
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
10.10.2006 - 17:31
Damnated
Churchburner
it isn't worse then banning a hitler named restaurant
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.10.2006 - 17:46
Valar
IndianSteel
But man one gotta remember we arnt like the most conservative country atleast we havent banned Black Metal and stuff like in Countries like Malaysia.
Still this sucks big time and i am totally against it.....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
10.10.2006 - 17:50
FOOCK Nam

Its unsurprisingly, most asian countries are tight for this thing. But Im surprised that India have catholic people. I thought India is Hindu country, and dont have any other religion.
10.10.2006 - 17:55
Cryogenic_Death

Stupidity at it's highest...these are the same fools who created a commotion when Da Vinci Code came here...somebody needs to give them a job, they've got WAY too much free time on their hands....as an Indian i'm saddend by the state of affairs in this country.....I thought i was living in a democracy (world's biggest too)...whatever happened to freedom of Speech and Expression??

PS: and the only reason black metal isn't banned here is because CDs of black metal aren't available...and most of the extreme metal bands here dont write anti-christian lyrics...i'm pretty sure if BM bands/albums come to India these Christians would again do such shit! SAD!
----
||SPACE FOR RENT||
10.10.2006 - 18:13
GT
Coffee!!
A prove that religion sucks...banning CDs is just stupid...people will buy it over the internet anyway
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.10.2006 - 19:07
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Absurd!
Religion is one of the worst things in the world... and this is another confirmation! Damn, how can we express freely our opinions, if such things keeps on happening?
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
10.10.2006 - 19:08
Comrade Frosty
Account deleted
well to be fair to the indians, the article doesn't mention censorship. It's a case of EMI recalling their own products. The police didn't tell them to or anything, and it's not a state thing. Or so it seems from the article.
10.10.2006 - 19:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
What a surprise.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.10.2006 - 19:35
Snake-Eye
Account deleted
Go banish almost every black and death album.
10.10.2006 - 20:20
RavenLord

Maybe they got tired of the annoying, cliched imagery as well?
----
10.10.2006 - 21:13
Infurnace

I respect the indians and their religion, but hey, this is just stupid. If the album was on the shelves for just a week, and was banned after that, why did they sell it anyway?
10.10.2006 - 21:20
Torelli

@RavenLord Yeah, it could be that.

Seriously though, I don't see why people get so angry beacuse of this. Ok, I can understand the indian slayer fans, but did it really came as a suprise?
Many of you think it is ok to hate religion, but for some people hating religion = racism. That's why we see so many bans.
10.10.2006 - 21:31
jadawal

Why don't they just use the "alternate cover" over there in India? Isn't that why there's an alternate cover? For people who get offended by the original cover? Stupid bastards need to keep their thinking cap on, and start thinking about reality, and NOT religion. Fuck religion, it ruins everything.
10.10.2006 - 23:11
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
stupid christians only realize that someone is offending them if the title says "Christ" or "Jesus", i mean, there's a lot of BM and Death Metal Bands that go blasphemous, but most people dont know, they just read "Christ Illusion" and got shocked
Religion is Fear! Religion Is Hate! Religion is War!
Religion's Obscene! Religion's a Whore!
10.10.2006 - 23:29
TheSlaughter
Account deleted
Ive sait id once and I will say it again...

if SLAYER had a country which practised the religion of SLAYER, they would ban all the Christian Pop-Rock in the world.

The Door swings both ways kids. Doesnt matter if its religious or not... its a matter of opinion.
11.10.2006 - 01:16
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
People have a right to believe what they want....if its offensive to them then they have a right to do what they feel is right to prevent people from being offended. The same way we dont want idiots to tell us metal is bad, the same way or probably worse it is when you attack someone's religion....and i must admit the new slayer takes it a bit far. You dont need to fuckin hate everything to be metal..its rediculous
11.10.2006 - 01:57
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
hey. im a christian. ok. now, i dont think its fair all these guy are bagging out religion. i believe what Slottet av Take has said is exactly sums up this whole matter. : ...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
11.10.2006 - 02:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
while it is lame, banning a metal album is hardly the worst thing that religion is responsible for in India...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.10.2006 - 02:09
Metal_Drummer
Account deleted
Fucking BULLSHIT!!! what the hell are they doing?!?!?! people have the right to do or think whatever they want! if they want to hate the christians then they are more then right to!! but dont you think that by protesting and banning slayers album they are just kinda hating satanism (which by the way is a religion in its self and should be respected as one) and doing pretty much the exact same thing they are trying to stop?!?! Just goes to show you just how much of Hipocrites christians are!!
11.10.2006 - 02:19
dancingdecember

oh come on tom araya prays to his god everynight before he goes to sleep.maybe he just has to explain this to these people and use alternative cover but why bother right?these things are bad of course but like some of us have said its a company thing not a government thing.gore gets banned time to time in all over the world for example.it doesnt have to be religous to get people act.
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
11.10.2006 - 02:23
PrettyMao

Written by Guest on 11.10.2006 at 02:09

but dont you think that by protesting and banning slayers album they are just kinda hating satanism (which by the way is a religion in its self and should be respected as one) and doing pretty much the exact same thing they are trying to stop?!?!

Satanism spawned from Christianity, so I wouldn't say it is a religion all onto itself...

What I think is needed is some tolerance from all sides...

Also, you have to remeber India is not that same as America-land. Ever seen a Bollywood movie? You won't ever see a couple kiss in them... so for them to ban Slayer, I am not surprised...

by the way, I love the dance sequences in thos Bollywood movies!
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
11.10.2006 - 03:52
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
well saying christians are hypocrites since they hate satanism or whatever is kinda stupid.....this isnt about being hypocritical its about the fact that the music is hate-filled and offensive. Whether you like it or not and wanna throw the whole "freedom of speech" thing in it doesnt really matter because in the end the content of the album is an attack on many people's beliefs, and unfortunately theres enough hostility going on around the world and someone saying another guy's god is a cunt isnt really bringing anything positive to the table now is it? In fact....its pretty much something that can start wars beween countries - well it already has.
11.10.2006 - 04:57
Metal_Drummer
Account deleted
Written by PrettyMao on 11.10.2006 at 02:23

Written by Guest on 11.10.2006 at 02:09

but dont you think that by protesting and banning slayers album they are just kinda hating satanism (which by the way is a religion in its self and should be respected as one) and doing pretty much the exact same thing they are trying to stop?!?!

Satanism spawned from Christianity, so I wouldn't say it is a religion all onto itself...

What I think is needed is some tolerance from all sides...

Also, you have to remeber India is not that same as America-land. Ever seen a Bollywood movie? You won't ever see a couple kiss in them... so for them to ban Slayer, I am not surprised...

by the way, I love the dance sequences in thos Bollywood movies!

yes i would have to agree with you there, that india is a diffrent place, but would have to dissagree about satanism, its did not at all spawn from christianity, the idea did somewhat but the "satan" in christianity and the "satan" in satanism are totally diffrent, stanists see satan as a force of natur, do not neccecerally worship him at all, but rather worship themselves, and is about following your natural desires and respecting yourself, not just calling everything a sin and being banished to eternal hellfire if you dont pay the church. anyway i probly should save that shit for another discussion lol i seem to have rambled on again, oh well
11.10.2006 - 07:46
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Written by Damnated on 10.10.2006 at 17:31

It is much worse than that. Thats sad that people ever group Hitler with anti-christians. Anti-christianity is a form of freedom of speech, how can a government limit that while saying they protect human rights?
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
11.10.2006 - 09:05
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by ItalktotheWind on 11.10.2006 at 07:46

Written by Damnated on 10.10.2006 at 17:31

It is much worse than that. Thats sad that people ever group Hitler with anti-christians. Anti-christianity is a form of freedom of speech, how can a government limit that while saying they protect human rights?

a hitler restaurant in India is also a freedom of speech thing. he and what he did is not known there. and how does a restaurant violate human rights?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.10.2006 - 11:25
Torelli

Written by Guest on 11.10.2006 at 03:52

well saying christians are hypocrites since they hate satanism or whatever is kinda stupid.....this isnt about being hypocritical its about the fact that the music is hate-filled and offensive. Whether you like it or not and wanna throw the whole "freedom of speech" thing in it doesnt really matter because in the end the content of the album is an attack on many people's beliefs, and unfortunately theres enough hostility going on around the world and someone saying another guy's god is a cunt isnt really bringing anything positive to the table now is it? In fact....its pretty much something that can start wars beween countries - well it already has.

Well said...
11.10.2006 - 12:23
NeverAgain
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.10.2006 at 19:08

well to be fair to the indians, the article doesn't mention censorship. It's a case of EMI recalling their own products. The police didn't tell them to or anything, and it's not a state thing. Or so it seems from the article.

People seemed to have ignored the above comment.

The album wasn't banned. The christian community made a fuss, and EMI withdrew the album. I'm 100% sure that if EMI had argued the case, a compromise could have been met. As it is, they chose to keep their hands clean.

I am not religius, but for once I'm afraid I will have to blame EMI more than the catholics.

Hits total: 7788 | This month: 11