02. Illuminoid Dream Sequence
03. Extinction Mantra
04. Seers Of The Eschaton
05. Domination Agenda
06. Astronomicon
07. Rise Of The Reptilian Regime
08. The Draconian Arrival
09. Alpha And Omega

So this is it, Scar Symmetry's second release without Christian Älvestam. Two albums in two years makes for a great opportunity to move on from the past and make yourself known to the metal community as a force to be reckoned with regardless of who your frontman is.

Or in this case, who your frontmen are.

Anyone familiar with the band's history knows Älvestam was replaced by two vocalists - one to handle cleans, the other to handle growls. Aside from that, the music hasn't changed all that much, although they did manage to experiment slightly with Dark Matter Dimensions in terms of songwriting, much to their fans' dismay.

The Unseen Empire, however, kicks off where Pitch Black Progress left off: bon cop, bad cop vocals; sweeping melodies; fast-paced, momentum-building songs; aggressive (albeit rather monotonous) drumming... but a pretty cheesy atmosphere. And that's what sets it apart from their earlier sound. Cheese. Not the good kind of setting apart either. I mean, it's hard not to feel like this is some kind of looped circus music, the kind you hear on a merry-go-round. And for some reason that makes me think of Katy Perry.

That leaves you kind of stuck between two worlds. One foot is stomping rapidly to the aggressive pace set forth by the drums, but the other just kind of taps lightly to the tune of the guitars. And it's one of those albums where you find yourself humming along to songs in the car on the drive to work. Not because of its super enjoyable funktastic songwriting, but because it's annoying. And then you're all "the new vocalists suck", and "no wait Älvestam's overrated anyway", and "come on Martha, I swear that hooker didn't have gonorrhea", and that nonsense carries on for a while and then the album's over and everyone in the crowd just stares at you screaming like a madman on a carousel.

Or at least that's where I woke up after this mess finally ended. Did you notice I used the word "and" a lot? If you're that attentive you'll probably be in the Katy Perry world. If you only noticed after I pointed it out, you'll probably be in Footstompville. But I only ever read Philosophy For Dummies. Am I rambling?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 5
Production: 5

Written on 14.11.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 68   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 456 users
15.11.2011 - 08:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Garth Vader on 15.11.2011 at 04:55
Troy, you are all over the map lately, and this review is obviously the result of you dropping soap during a prison riot. A 4.5 rating? I mean I understand giving Lulu a low rating because of your fanboy disappointment, but come on! Production is obviously better than a 5, so are we to understand that you are now just a troll here on Metalstorm?? I expect a logical assessment from someone who is supposed to be "staff". Just because SS doesn't fit your favorite depressive, grindcore genre, doesn't mean they are a bunch of talentless hacks as you are so rating them. With or without Alvestam the band is above average at the very least, and I would say there are moments on nearly every album that are melodic stokes of genius. Holographic Universe was one of the best releases of 2008 and with an average rating of 8.6 it is plain to see that most everyone else concurs. It's fine to express your opinions and troll about in the responses, but we expect a little more realistic and thought out assessment from a staffer rating an album, otherwise this great website is little more than someone's blog, full of inane opinions and blather.

Sorry I don't like your favorite band.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 08:16
stationarytravel
Account deleted
Butthurt SS fans are starting to get awfully predictable. Alvestam is a decent singer but by no means he's THAT much better than Lars. Yes, it takes some time to get used to Lars but in the end this band has always applied the "cheesy 80s" formula to almost everything. It's still there, just sounds different. I found this album weaker than DMD but in general it's a solid record (again, considering the "cheesy" formula). SS were never a SRSBSNS band so it shouldn't be considered as one. Solution .45 is way more streamlined and bland at this point.
15.11.2011 - 09:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 15.11.2011 at 08:16
SS were never a SRSBSNS band so it shouldn't be considered as one.

Okay, this is hands down the most ludicrous and baseless comment in the whole thread. It's one thing to bash a band's music, which is perfectly fine, as that is all just down to personal opinion at the end of the day. (which is why although I definitely don't agree with this review, Im certainly not about to bash Troy merely for voicing his opinion, which like everyone else, he is entitled to) But it's quite another to try and state actual falsehoods about a band, and then attempt to present them as "facts" to further bash the band in question. How exactly is SS not a "serious buisness" band? Just because you find the band's music "cheesy", doesn't mean they aren't a serious band, nor does it mean that the band themselves don't take their own music and the creation of it very seriously. Lawnmower Deth are an example of a joke/parody band, Scar Symmetry definitely are not. I will never ever attack an individual purely because their opinion on an album/band is different to mine. But comments such as yours are an exception, as it is not merely an opinion, but an attempt to present a negative (and also, crucially, false) statement as fact, and that is something I will always take issue with.
15.11.2011 - 09:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.11.2011 at 09:24
Just because you find the band's music "cheesy", doesn't mean they aren't a serious band, nor does it mean that the band themselves don't take their own music and the creation of it very seriously.

Quite right. I know they obviously take their music seriously, else their lyrical content and overall mannerism wouldn't be anything similar to what it is now. They are a cheesy band, I can say that much, but they execute their material in the same professional manner as any band regardless of cheese factor.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 09:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.11.2011 at 09:31
Quite right. I know they obviously take their music seriously, else their lyrical content and overall mannerism wouldn't be anything similar to what it is now. They are a cheesy band, I can say that much, but they execute their material in the same professional manner as any band regardless of cheese factor.

Exactly. Sometimes "cheese factor" in a band's music can be down (at least to a certain extent) to personal perception, especially if lyrically and image wise, the band are not cheesy. (as is the case with Scar Symmetry) And it definitely takes more a perceptiple "cheese factor" to state that a band is "not serious". It's like calling Helloween a non-serious band for sometimes being cheesy, or Carcass the same, for having over the top gore (and therefore by default, cheesy) lyrics. I let a lot of comments in this thread go, because personal opinion on music is something I will never bash. But presenting an obviously false statement as a fact to aid the bashing is something different entirely, and should be attacked.
15.11.2011 - 10:30
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Again, nice review, and so true! Although the overall rating for me is around like 6-7, sill can't get through the fact that there's not a single damn thing in the album that catches me.
----
15.11.2011 - 11:19
D.a.n

Written by Angelic Storm on 15.11.2011 at 09:24
Just because you find the band's music "cheesy", doesn't mean they aren't a serious band, nor does it mean that the band themselves don't take their own music and the creation of it very seriously.

Well, the funny thing about cheesy bands is that those which are cheesy deliberately are usually much more enjoyable than cheese merchants trying to be serious. Case in point: Freedom Call vs. (late) Scar Symmetry. But don't get me wrong - I have to make a confession here: I actually really like The Anomaly. Despite the song being the very essence of cheesiness (at least it's not chèvre coz I can't stand that!). But, as I see it, Scar Symmetry seem to be kindda lost now and do not know if they should go all pop-metal (a.k.a. cheese) or try less candyfloss. And this approach just does not work for me.
15.11.2011 - 12:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by D.a.n on 15.11.2011 at 11:19
Well, the funny thing about cheesy bands is that those which are cheesy deliberately are usually much more enjoyable than cheese merchants trying to be serious. Case in point: Freedom Call vs. (late) Scar Symmetry. But don't get me wrong - I have to make a confession here: I actually really like The Anomaly. Despite the song being the very essence of cheesiness (at least it's not chèvre coz I can't stand that!). But, as I see it, Scar Symmetry seem to be kindda lost now and do not know if they should go all pop-metal (a.k.a. cheese) or try less candyfloss. And this approach just does not work for me.

How are Freedom Call deliberately cheesy, and "not serious"? Just because they play a style of metal that is regarded by many as "cheesy", doesn't mean they see themselves or their music as a joke. So really, what I said in my post above rings true just as much for Freedom Call as for Scar Symmetry. They are not a joke/parody band, therefore it's very easy to assume that they take their music seriously, regardless of any cheese factor.

I'm also bewildered at why some people seem to think this "pop-metal cheese" stuff is new for Scar Symmetry, it isn't. In fact, the latest album is probably overall the least poppy and least catchy album they've ever made. I really don't see any fundamental difference in the band soundwise now, compared to how they've always been. They've always had an element of their sound that is catchy and accessible, it's not new for them. I have no idea why some people are acting as if it is...
15.11.2011 - 13:28
D.a.n

Written by Angelic Storm on 15.11.2011 at 12:18

How are Freedom Call deliberately cheesy, and "not serious"? Just because they play a style of metal that is regarded by many as "cheesy", doesn't mean they see themselves or their music as a joke. So really, what I said in my post above rings true just as much for Freedom Call as for Scar Symmetry. They are not a joke/parody band, therefore it's very easy to assume that they take their music seriously, regardless of any cheese factor.

With all due respect, I think you are wrong. There is a great difference between "a joke" and "not serious". I would never go so far as to say that Freedom Call consider themselves to be a joke (insert-your-favourite-deity-here forbid!), but they definitely don't take themselves and their music too seriously. Wanna some proofs? Read some interviews with Chris Bay and lyrics. If you are REALLY ravenous and want a LOT nicely served first-class German cheese watch this and tremble in awe!...)

Look I am really, really glad SS's new album works for you. For me, as a WHOLE, it does not. Full stop. And I need to get some lunch now. Cheese, anyone?
15.11.2011 - 13:34
Kamil
Account deleted
Quote:

I'm also bewildered at why some people seem to think this "pop-metal cheese" stuff is new for Scar Symmetry, it isn't. In fact, the latest album is probably overall the least poppy and least catchy album they've ever made. I really don't see any fundamental difference in the band soundwise now, compared to how they've always been. They've always had an element of their sound that is catchy and accessible, it's not new for them. I have no idea why some people are acting as if it is...

Maybe because not everyone fully understand formula of SS music.
15.11.2011 - 14:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by D.a.n on 15.11.2011 at 13:28
With all due respect, I think you are wrong. There is a great difference between "a joke" and "not serious". I would never go so far as to say that Freedom Call consider themselves to be a joke (insert-your-favourite-deity-here forbid!), but they definitely don't take themselves and their music too seriously. Wanna some proofs? Read some interviews with Chris Bay and lyrics. If you are REALLY ravenous and want a LOT nicely served first-class German cheese watch this and tremble in awe!...)

Look I am really, really glad SS's new album works for you. For me, as a WHOLE, it does not. Full stop. And I need to get some lunch now. Cheese, anyone?

I have read some interviews with Chris Bay, and he usually describes Freedom Call's style with terms like "happy" and "positive thinking". That doesn't mean he isn't serious about the music he makes, purely that he likes playing music that is uplifting and happy sounding. Now, I realise for most people this style goes hand in hand with cheese, but it still doesn't mean the process behind the actual creation of the music is any less serious than for a band like Scar Symmetry.

It doesn't totally work for me, as I prefer 2 or 3 of their other albums over it, but it's still a good album I think. I actually do like cheese... how about Gorgonzola?

Written by Guest on 15.11.2011 at 13:34
Maybe because not everyone fully understand formula of SS music.

The funny thing is, the latest album is probably overall, SS's least accessible and least catchy. There's not as many strong hooks as there were on previous SS albums. But fundamentally, it's still the same style that they've always played.
15.11.2011 - 17:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Heh... Funny. I'm still surprised that there are so many comments about this band and all I said over the years is: Who the fuck are they?

I keep saying that btw.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.11.2011 - 17:32
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.11.2011 at 07:54

Written by MétalNoir on 15.11.2011 at 06:01
Their cheesiness is not in my opinion a suitable argument for not liking this album, that is, if you ever cared about the band.

On the contrary; while their earlier works were undoubtedly cheesy, the songs were still structured in a way that made them more interesting. And songs stood out more throughout the album, as if more thought was put into each section. These new albums just emphasize how overly melodic bands can get away with a total disregard for songwriting.

THAT'S the kind of argument I was expecting. Still, it's not the cheese you, in my humble opinion, should have pointed out, but the fact that "these new albums just emphasize how overly melodic bands can get away with a total disregard for songwriting."

But we all know how much you like to be badass and provocative in your reviews and that's actually a cool change from the broomstick-in-the-arse kind of reviews we see so often.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
15.11.2011 - 17:34
stationarytravel
Account deleted
If you fail to see the obvious homage to incredibad 80s songwriting niches then it is definitely not my fault. SS is a band that doesn't take itself seriously. This is exactly why SRSFAGS are always so butthurt about them.
15.11.2011 - 17:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 15.11.2011 at 17:34

If you fail to see the obvious homage to incredibad 80s songwriting niches then it is definitely not my fault. SS is a band that doesn't take itself seriously. This is exactly why SRSFAGS are always so butthurt about them.

Being butthurt and pointing out what is clearly a factual inaccuracy is quite another. Even Troy agreed with me, and he could hardly be classed as a "butthurt fanboy" after the pasting he gave the band and the album, could he? The fact that 80's mainstream melodies sometimes creeps into their music is hardly a solid basis for saying a band doesn't take itself seriously, yet that is exactly what you are suggesting. And presenting it as a "fact" no less. I have no problem with any of the negative things Troy said about the band or the album, so calling me "butthurt" is just making yourself look very foolish.
15.11.2011 - 17:48
stationarytravel
Account deleted
Butthurt fans in general. I wouldn't know anything about you bros. It may not be a fact, but I've had enough observation to get that feeling. It is quite obvious, to me at least, that the band is there to just have fun and not to claim any kind of songwriting or technical achievements. The music is a good indicator of that.
16.11.2011 - 00:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by MétalNoir on 15.11.2011 at 17:32
But we all know how much you like to be badass and provocative in your reviews and that's actually a cool change from the broomstick-in-the-arse kind of reviews we see so often.

Thanks for pointing that out!
----
16.11.2011 - 02:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 15.11.2011 at 17:48
Butthurt fans in general.

Just because we don't think these guys are great comedic songwriters doesn't make us butthurt fans. :/
----
16.11.2011 - 06:26
stationarytravel
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2011 at 02:16

Written by Guest on 15.11.2011 at 17:48
Butthurt fans in general.

Just because we don't think these guys are great comedic songwriters doesn't make us butthurt fans. :/

Come on brah, you know the amount of br00tal melo-death SRSFAGS out there that are dying to get butthurt by something like SS and complain about it over and over.
16.11.2011 - 07:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2011 at 02:16

Exactly. On one hand, we have you, who just bashed the band and the album, calling him out on such a ridiculous statement. On the other, we have me, who is an SS fan, but respects anyone's right to be negative about their material if they so wish. I certainly wouldn't bash you for your views, or review just because I disagree. So, neither of us can be accused of being butthurt just because we stated that specific slight against the band from stationarytravel is a factual inaccuracy.

If you look at the way this guy words his posts, it seems very clear to me, that he's a troll. Just deliberately trying to bait people to get a negative reaction. I mean come on, seriously, "SRSFAGS"? What person with a modicum of intelligence uses such a "word" as a serious "put down"? Either he knows fine well what he's saying is nonsense, and merely said it to get a rise out of people, or he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. But I definitely smell a troll here...
16.11.2011 - 07:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.11.2011 at 07:47
But I definitely smell a troll here...

Agreed, and ignored.
----
16.11.2011 - 07:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2011 at 07:49
Agreed, and ignored.

Same here. I suspected a while back that he might be a troll, but that last post towards you pretty much confirmed it for me.
17.11.2011 - 08:42
Rating: 9
Garth Vader

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.11.2011 at 08:10

Written by Garth Vader on 15.11.2011 at 04:55
Troy, you are all over the map lately, and this review is obviously the result of you dropping soap during a prison riot. A 4.5 rating? I mean I understand giving Lulu a low rating because of your fanboy disappointment, but come on! Production is obviously better than a 5, so are we to understand that you are now just a troll here on Metalstorm?? I expect a logical assessment from someone who is supposed to be "staff". Just because SS doesn't fit your favorite depressive, grindcore genre, doesn't mean they are a bunch of talentless hacks as you are so rating them. With or without Alvestam the band is above average at the very least, and I would say there are moments on nearly every album that are melodic stokes of genius. Holographic Universe was one of the best releases of 2008 and with an average rating of 8.6 it is plain to see that most everyone else concurs. It's fine to express your opinions and troll about in the responses, but we expect a little more realistic and thought out assessment from a staffer rating an album, otherwise this great website is little more than someone's blog, full of inane opinions and blather.

Sorry I don't like your favorite band.

I never said they were my fav band. I did take issue with DMD and felt like it lacked the structure of previous albums and chalked it up to the change in band members and dynamics but I think they recovered rather nicely on this one, at least better than expected, and a pleasant surprise is always better than the alternative. Regardless, I take issue with the method by which you rate albums when you are doling out 4's and 5's on specifics like production when even a half way decent garage band would score better than that. That isn't taste related.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
17.11.2011 - 08:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Garth Vader on 17.11.2011 at 08:42
I take issue with the method by which you rate albums when you are doling out 4's and 5's on specifics like production when even a half way decent garage band would score better than that. That isn't taste related.

Actually it's quite taste-related. I don't think the production fits the music here. It's too plastic, which takes away from the soul of the music. Obviously the production job is better than some bedroom black metal band's self-released demo recording, but it doesn't improve the sound of the music. Hence, it scores as "bad" or "not good".
----
17.11.2011 - 09:05
Garth Vader

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.11.2011 at 08:45

Written by Garth Vader on 17.11.2011 at 08:42
I take issue with the method by which you rate albums when you are doling out 4's and 5's on specifics like production when even a half way decent garage band would score better than that. That isn't taste related.

Actually it's quite taste-related. I don't think the production fits the music here. It's too plastic, which takes away from the soul of the music. Obviously the production job is better than some bedroom black metal band's self-released demo recording, but it doesn't improve the sound of the music. Hence, it scores as "bad" or "not good".

I don't even know what "plastic" means. I look for depth on production issues. I look for elements and instruments that as a whole are cohesive yet can be identified individually. I look for basic technical aspects like the mixing and mastering, dynamic range vs. lo-fi stuff.
----
17.11.2011 - 09:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Garth Vader on 17.11.2011 at 09:05
I don't even know what "plastic" means. I look for depth on production issues. I look for elements and instruments that as a whole are cohesive yet can be identified individually. I look for basic technical aspects like the mixing and mastering, dynamic range vs. lo-fi stuff.

Plastic is more or less a subjective term. This album felt like it was ... I dunno, overly produced. Like it could use a jagged edge or two in order to make the overall sound a bit edgier. Sometimes these melodic bands focus so much on having this slick production they forget about the end result being sort of stripped as a result. Or maybe that's what they're aiming for, I dunno. I'm not in the studio with them.

As for instruments that can be identified individually, you get that with this more or less. Aside from the bass (no surprise) and the drums seem to be too low in the mix. But that might be personal opinion as well, some people like the softer drum sound. And it's definitely far from lo-fi, as it should be. I don't know how dynamic it is, because to me this would have been a more dynamic feel if there would have been some rough edges, but as I said before, it just gave me a "plastic" feeling. It's like squeezing fake tits. They may look better from far away, but they don't feel nearly as good as the real thing.
----
17.11.2011 - 09:19
Garth Vader

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.11.2011 at 09:14

Written by Garth Vader on 17.11.2011 at 09:05

Plastic is more or less a subjective term. This album felt like it was ... I dunno, overly produced. Like it could use a jagged edge or two in order to make the overall sound a bit edgier. Sometimes these melodic bands focus so much on having this slick production they forget about the end result being sort of stripped as a result. Or maybe that's what they're aiming for, I dunno. I'm not in the studio with them.

As for instruments that can be identified individually, you get that with this more or less. Aside from the bass (no surprise) and the drums seem to be too low in the mix. But that might be personal opinion as well, some people like the softer drum sound. And it's definitely far from lo-fi, as it should be. I don't know how dynamic it is, because to me this would have been a more dynamic feel if there would have been some rough edges, but as I said before, it just gave me a "plastic" feeling. It's like squeezing fake tits. They may look better from far away, but they don't feel nearly as good as the real thing.

I've tried both kinds and either one can be nice depending on what you are into at the time, I guess it's what you are looking for in the long run and I would agree that I'd take real over fake in the end.
----
17.11.2011 - 09:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I kinda agree with Troy about the production, although 5 may be a little overly harsh... I much prefer the production on "Pitch Black Progress", for while it's far from being raw and sounding cheaply produced, the sound has an edge, a punch, and just a touch of raw jaggedness that does make the songs sound heavier and a bit more "in your face" than the new album's sound.
17.11.2011 - 09:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.11.2011 at 09:32
I kinda agree with Troy about the production, although 5 may be a little overly harsh...

I go by the MS rating scale. 5 = not good. If 7 was for "not good" then I'd give the production a 7.

I'd almost like to have little sentences for each category as opposed to numbers. A good example why would be my conversation with Garth Vader; you can't tell a story with just a number.
----
17.11.2011 - 09:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.11.2011 at 09:36
I go by the MS rating scale. 5 = not good. If 7 was for "not good" then I'd give the production a 7.

I'd almost like to have little sentences for each category as opposed to numbers. A good example why would be my conversation with Garth Vader; you can't tell a story with just a number.

Well, I guess I just myself personally don't think it's THAT bad. I do prefer the production on the earlier SS albums... It's the same style of music, but the rawer and less plastic production gives the guitar sound a bit of bite, and the mainstream sounding melodies don't come off as being quite so poppy, even if in actual fact they are.

And yep, sometimes just a number can't give the full story on your opinion.

Hits total: 11399 | This month: 16