04. Mistress Dread
05. Iced Honey
06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

This album is really bad so I'll start instantly with the review. The collaboration with Lou Reed just doesn't combine both James and Lou Reed voices very well, as they don't match, and makes most of the songs a real torment to hear. The best thing taken off this album is the good performance by both Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo. Most of the songs need a strong and heavy musical pace. That's why in my opinion Robert and Kirk perform pretty well and way better than the rest of the members. James Hetfield tries and puts in a heroic effort but there are so many songs where his voice doesn't match with Lou Reed's and that's, like I said before, not pretty.

The first and only single was "The View" and, although I heard really bad reviews about that song, I enjoyed it. Again the combination with the instrumentalists of Metallica and voice of Lou Reed is disappointing and, may I say, something I was expecting in this collaboration. Still it's not a bad track and is probably the best song of this album. Alongside "The View", "Iced Honey" is a really good song not for 80s Metallica or a good album of Lou Reed but it's a great track, very easy to hear with simple rock features. Simplicity is the main characteristic that makes this song great; they don't try anything magnificent. The rest of the songs came to me as really disappointing and horrible. Some of them seem badly written and badly arranged. "Junior Dad" was the one I wanted to hear after knowing about the strong emotional feature this song was supposed to have before Lulu was released. "Junior Dad" is way too repetitive and technically speaking is a 3/10. Another example is "Pumping Blood" that is really confusing, starts with violins and continues with power with Lars Ulrich, Lou Reed and Kirk as the main characters in this song. In the middle of the song it stops and starts really strong, so strong that two minutes to the end it seems we are listening to Slayer with really fast drum pieces and heavy guitar parts. The rest of the songs aren't worth listening to or even speaking about.

This album has really bad components with no good parts. It was a bad idea, this collaboration interrupting the good wave of support Metallica were having with Death Magnetic, after releasing albums that almost finished with their fan base. I hope the REAL album is way different from this sample of Metallica.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 3
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by AndMetalForAll | 14.11.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 374 users
14.11.2011 - 21:36
Rating: 1
MyNameJeff
Pumping Blood is very confusing indeed.
14.11.2011 - 21:43
Slayer666
Pumping Blood isn't nearly as confusing and contradicting as this review:

Quote:
This album has really bad components with no good parts.

Quote:
The first and only single was "The View" and, although I heard really bad reviews about that song, I enjoyed it.

Quote:
Alongside "The View", "Iced Honey" is a really good song

I really don't want to be a dick, but the review is mostly a train wreck...
14.11.2011 - 21:54
vezzy
Stallmanite
The reviewer is such a $#%!!^*# table.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.11.2011 - 21:56
Rating: 4
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Written by Slayer666 on 14.11.2011 at 21:43

Pumping Blood isn't nearly as confusing and contradicting as this review:

Quote:
This album has really bad components with no good parts.

Quote:
The first and only single was "The View" and, although I heard really bad reviews about that song, I enjoyed it.

Quote:
Alongside "The View", "Iced Honey" is a really good song

I really don't want to be a dick, but the review is mostly a train wreck...

What i wanted to say, is that the bad parts are so many that covers the only songs that i could headline in the album.
And the 2 songs mentioned are ok, i just thought i could do a honorable mention of the two songs.. But if you think the review is train wreck...it's your opinion.
Read the megadeth review about 13 and say what you think...if you think it's a train wreck ...i respect it

greets,
AndMetalForAll
----
greets,
kual21
14.11.2011 - 22:13
Rating: 3
malaikat
Ok, first of all, isn't it a rule that guest reviews are published 90 days after the album's release?

Second of all, sorry man, but I agree with Slayer666, this review is a mess.
14.11.2011 - 22:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by malaikat on 14.11.2011 at 22:13

Ok, first of all, isn't it a rule that guest reviews are published 90 days after the album's release?

we are in the process of updating the FAQ in regards to guest reviews of new releases.

The new rule will be either 90 days after release* or 30 days after the official MS/STaff review goes up.

* this gets messy because euros seem to get albums a full month ahead of the US some times... or longer. so split dates will likely factor the later.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.11.2011 - 22:29
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Written by malaikat on 14.11.2011 at 22:13

Currently the FAQ rule 4.2 states, "If an official review is not yet available, the Guest Reviewer must wait at least 90 days after the release date to post a review." There is an official review already, so this was posted. As COld said, this is likely to change very soon.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.11.2011 - 22:41
malaikat
@Bitter, Lyrinan

Ah, I see, my bad, sorry.
14.11.2011 - 22:48
Metal_4Ever
Production 8..!!!
15.11.2011 - 00:17
Mattybu
I think production is kind of irrelevant in Lulu's case... I don't know if any level of production could save something so bad musically.
15.11.2011 - 00:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
This review seems rather disjointed. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 01:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.11.2011 at 00:58

This review seems rather disjointed. :/

Agreed. His opinion is fine, and people shouldn't be questioning that. But it does look sloppy and messily written.
15.11.2011 - 01:17
AndMetalForAll
kual21
I agree it's not my best review. In that day i wasn't very well lol. But i tried to join all the details i thought relevant in the album and i wasn't very successful, sorry. The review is done and i think the message gets through and everyone understands that my opinion of the album is really that isn't a good album at all. The fact that i mentioned two songs, is because they are the best of the worst, probably one of the worst albums i have ever heard and those these two songs are ok are the best of a bad album.

Sorry for the review but try to respect it.

greets,
AndMetalForAll
----
greets,
kual21
15.11.2011 - 01:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by AndMetalForAll on 15.11.2011 at 01:17
Sorry for the review but try to respect it.

If you can take anything away from this it's that you should try to focus your topic and make sure everything you say adds up to avoid any contradictions. And work on the flow of your reviews so the reader doesn't feel awkward trying to get to the end.

That's constructive criticism, because I respect the fact you obviously gave this effort and didn't just bash it for the sake of bashing it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 05:36
Void Eater
Account deleted
I thought that we had to wait 90 days after release to review an album? Apparently not. Better get my writing cap on.

Ah read BitterCOld's post. Mmk.
15.11.2011 - 13:04
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Review is very loosely tied up. Song by song explanations is all I can actually figure it out(HONESTLY!) but I respect your opinions about what you feel for this album but it wasn't having nothing new to actually project it up to the fans out here in MS.
18.11.2011 - 15:02
RockeRoy
You talk about the strong performances by Hammet and rob... IMO the strongest performance was from Lars Ulrich.. Suprisingly clever drumming from him, and with a great drumsound, his playing on Lulu is the highlight on this album.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
26.02.2012 - 16:05
Is this a joke? 4.3? Are you serious? This album is pure shit.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter

Hits total: 5271 | This month: 8