Metal Storm logo
Favorite Vocalist (extreme power metal)

Poll

From these vocalists, which is your favorite and why?

Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Pekka Kokko (Kalmah)
Petri Lindroos (Norther)

Total votes: 195
11.10.2006 - 06:33
tulkas
el parcero
This question came up to me after a disscussion with some friends about these bands, and started talking about the vocalists. So, I'd like to know between these three which one is your favorite and why. Please, don't just post a vote, also comment on your answer.

(BTW: if by any case this is on the wrong category, please move it, thanx!)
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
11.10.2006 - 08:06
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
I'd vote Petri Lindroos if I could vote at all, despite his srikingly similar sound to that of Alexi's original vocals, although I strangely seem to find them more decipherable than Alexi's.
11.10.2006 - 13:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by tulkas on 11.10.2006 at 06:33

This question came up to me after a disscussion with some friends about these bands, and started talking about the vocalists. So, I'd like to know between these three which one is your favorite and why. Please, don't just post a vote, also comment on your answer.

(BTW: if by any case this is on the wrong category, please move it, thanx!)

Does this shood not be in metal arena?

I dont know witch I like best, because those band sisnt my fav, if I shood choose then Kalmah
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.10.2006 - 14:19
Eight
Shapeshifter
I vote for Pekka from Kalmah, haven't hear much of the Norther, don't like it.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
11.10.2006 - 14:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok extrieme power metal seems Finsih scene
But where are Kimberly Gross, she has beautifull voice and she are Sinergy vocalists also warmen and Vintersun ok Nightiwh whit Tarja too, but I dont accept that Taort are power, thank's god you dont mention it
----

apos;'
[image]
11.10.2006 - 14:52
danzig111
Account deleted
ummmmm I don't listen to this music for the voice.......i don't find the vocals very skilled in this genre at all.

Though I like Children Of Bodom best, I'll go with Norther, since their vocalist just has better control of his voice than Alexi Laiho.
11.10.2006 - 14:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 11.10.2006 at 14:52

ummmmm I don't listen to this music for the voice.......i don't find the vocals very skilled in this genre at all.

I agree in that gerne and specely those bands what he mention vocalists isnt ipmortant, I dont understand even what he sings, only keybords and some guitar sound its all what I hear, i think ewer body who can sing in that style can be good vocalist
----

apos;'
[image]
11.10.2006 - 17:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Petri Lindroos. Norther is my favourite band and Petri Lindroos voice is so raw and angry.

BTW look what a guy wrote in a swedish metal magazine after he gave Mirror of Madness 1/10: "The vocalist is a reason good enough to have death punishment in Finland."
I hate him!
----
11.10.2006 - 18:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 11.10.2006 at 17:55

BTW look what a guy wrote in a swedish metal magazine after he gave Mirror of Madness 1/10: "The vocalist is a reason good enough to have death punishment in Finland."
I hate him!

I own one magasine of firts time isit Sweden
I by it for pictures because Lemmy and Kirk Hammet locks so great whit alcohol and those pld school clotes, I just can not by it
Also what you mena about death penalty to Finland?
----

apos;'
[image]
11.10.2006 - 18:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bad English on 11.10.2006 at 18:34

Written by Warman on 11.10.2006 at 17:55

I hate him!

I own one magasine of firts time isit Sweden
I by it for pictures because Lemmy and Kirk Hammet locks so great whit alcohol and those pld school clotes, I just can not by it
Also what you mena about death penalty to Finland?

Shortly: He wants Petri Lindroos dead because of his voice!
----
11.10.2006 - 22:38
jadawal

I think the best vocals in extreme power metal is probably Jari Mäenpää from the two earlier Ensiferum albums and the frontman of Wintersun. He sometimes sings clean vocals too and sometimes a Halford-like scream in the album Iron. He's the best in my opinion, but I voted for Alexi.
11.10.2006 - 22:50
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by jadawal on 11.10.2006 at 22:38

I think the best vocals in extreme power metal is probably Jari Mäenpää from the two earlier Ensiferum albums and the frontman of Wintersun. He sometimes sings clean vocals too and sometimes a Halford-like scream in the album Iron. He's the best in my opinion, but I voted for Alexi.

Ensiferum were always Folk Metal i thought

what the hell.....?
11.10.2006 - 23:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 11.10.2006 at 22:50

what the hell.....?

Its more power folk metal, listen melodies sounds like power, untill thay dont use folk sounds, thay had folk metal lyrics
----

apos;'
[image]
12.10.2006 - 01:54
danzig111
Account deleted
@K7: oh okay, thank you

oh ummm tulkas, who do YOU think is the best out of those?
12.10.2006 - 02:27
Bitch Boy

Altti Veteläinen (ETOS) is missing, my vote would have been for him if he had been listed in the poll.

BTW I thought that Alexi Laiho would be the "obvious winner".
12.10.2006 - 02:55
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Henrik Wenngren from Skyfire beats the hell out of all three (see: Uncloud the Sky). I don't consider Skyfire among these bands but everyone else seems to.

I voted for Kokko. He's the most vesitile. I don't particularly care for the vocals on the new Kalmah but it's not because of his performance, I just didn't think it fit with the music. But still, I think he's a more talented singer than either of the other two.
12.10.2006 - 06:02
?Bodomchild?

Well....i like Norther and COB a lot and i think Petri did a awesome job on Dreams of Endless War awesome album and the vpoice sound much better than the other albums so i vote for him, Alexi its good but some of the lyrics are fakes i mean he scream when he thinks its cool for the song i read it in a magazine call Hell Awaits when they launch Follow the Reaper to the streets...so i vote fro Petris cuz in that album he sounds awesome but IMO he is making a better job in Ensiferum
----
asd
12.10.2006 - 07:25
jadawal

Written by Guest on 11.10.2006 at 22:50

what the hell.....?

You can definatly call Ensiferum extreme metal, its the same kinda music as like Norther or COB, just with a little folk qwist.
12.10.2006 - 22:16
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Guest on 12.10.2006 at 01:54

@K7: oh okay, thank you

oh ummm tulkas, who do YOU think is the best out of those?

Well, my favorite one between these is Pekka Kokko, and partly that's what I was disscussing with my friends before I opened this thread. They said they prefered Alexi, but somehow I think that his voice isn't the same as before. So, I would say I prefer Pekka, then Petri, and then Alexi, although I really like a lot the 3 of them
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
13.10.2006 - 13:04
hammetallica
Account deleted
I voted for Petri. I love both Children Of Bodom and Norther, but I think that Petri has sharper voice.. he kills me when he screams
13.10.2006 - 14:57
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I'd have to go with Petri, especially now he's fronting Ensiferum and has to replace the brilliant Jari (my favourite out of this finnish lot :p).
13.10.2006 - 17:27
TamTam

meh, an entire thread just to see what guy shouts better. I bet I yell even better than those!!
I vote for Kalmah. Both COB and Norther are kinda 'un-understandable' for me. COB I like for the attitude, and Norther I like for the guitars(barely).
So only kalmah is left. ^^
14.10.2006 - 21:34
Stigmatized
Pekka Kokko gets my vote. I've always liked both styles he uses, and he switched a little on the latest album.
17.10.2006 - 11:22
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
by Far Pekka Kokko.....................
I worship this guy he has the best vocals over
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
17.10.2006 - 16:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Pretty exciting, now it's a tie between Laiho and Lindroos, and Kokko is not that far from them. C'mon Lindroos, you can do it
----
21.10.2006 - 13:19
FOOCK Nam

If I vote for Alexi Laiho, thats only because of I love Children of bodom, not exact a judgement of vocallist, so I do vote for Petri, very harsh sharp vocal, and true reflection to myself
21.10.2006 - 15:48
Bengans
Account deleted
Voted for Petri Lindroos. I could vote for any of them cause I like them all. But Norther is the best band among those and he is a great vocalist. Love his vocals on their new album Till Death Unites Us.
21.10.2006 - 17:23
Eternal Flames

My vote goes to Pekka Kokko, simply because I think he has the most diverse vocals out of the three vocalists. Personally, I can't stand Alexi's vocals. They sound a bit too angsty/hardcore-ish. Petri Lindroos' vocals are somewhat better than Alexi's but Pekka still wins this one for me. His vocals are more deeper than the others.

I do agree with CollisionInMind though about Skyfire. Henrik Wenngren's vocals are really good also. Very similar to Pekka Kokko's. Altti Vetelainen of ETOS has good vocals but I wouldn't consider them extreme power metal. They're more on the melodic death side.
18.11.2006 - 23:18
Mariela.
Account deleted
I did not like this poll at all...I love both Alexi and Pete...And both sing great live and both are quite entertaining, and because I like them both as much I thought I would vote for Pete this time, 'cause I've voted for Alexi mostly..I know, it's not a good reason, but this time I will do it like this!
23.11.2006 - 03:56
northerfreak
Account deleted
i think petri wins alexi just sucks now and pekka just doesnt have it