Metal Storm logo
Favorite Vocalist (extreme power metal)

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 11.10.2006 - 06:33
This question came up to me after a disscussion with some friends about these bands, and started talking about the vocalists. So, I'd like to know between these three which one is your favorite and why. Please, don't just post a vote, also comment on your answer.

(BTW: if by any case this is on the wrong category, please move it, thanx!)

Poll

From these vocalists, which is your favorite and why?

Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Pekka Kokko (Kalmah)
Petri Lindroos (Norther)

Total votes: 195
27.08.2007 - 15:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
I don't like much any of them, but when I was younger I really loved Alexi's vocals, especially on Something wild album, so Alexi Laiho for me.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
28.08.2007 - 00:53
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Jari Meanpaa. If you consider that "extreme power metal".
----
02.10.2007 - 08:29
Chaosgoat
Alexi laiho, cause he has an element of chaos in his voice. not the most skilled on the list, but he fits the music perfectly.
02.10.2007 - 09:14
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
IMO Kalmah's Pekka Kokko (one crazy name) is my favourtite of those listed - his swamp growls/screams were amazing ont he first three albums, and the deeper growls were great on the black waltz. sort of on the same note, check out my metal interpretation (misherad) of Kalmah's "Defeat" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qiO_fZK5fc
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
24.10.2007 - 13:07
khwatog
can we add Jari Mäenpää of Wintersun?
13.12.2007 - 21:15
ArcanaHereticae
Pekka Kokko for me just because I think he fits Kalmah repectively. It really pieces together their sound.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
25.01.2008 - 02:19
Ascalon
The voice of Pekka Kokko ... was made for this strange style ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
29.01.2008 - 04:14
TopGun
pekka kokko just cause its bad ass just like his name ?
23.08.2008 - 17:20
Janne
Hugin
1. Petri
2. Pekka
3. Alexi
Petri has the best voice! I don't like Alexi's and Pekka's is OK.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
10.11.2008 - 13:08
Metalbound7
Petri for me, damn those Finnish know how to rock! Hail Finland!
11.11.2008 - 11:04
DanielViking
Petri Lindroos (Norther) and Ensiferum! I like both Children of Bodom and Norther because of the instrumental, altough when it comes to the voice, Petri can really have than click that Alexi don't... altough Alexi is a better guitar player than Petri. still... both guys rock the hell out of me and wrote some of the best metal songs i've ever heard
30.11.2008 - 09:30
wormdrink414
elite
I like Petri's work with Ensiferum, but like nothing about Norther. Nevertheless, the guy is a great vocalist.
01.12.2008 - 00:23
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Am I the only one that cringes a little bit when they hear the word Extreme Power Metal. the name of the genre just doesn't site well with me. I don't know why...
----
Coldgrits
01.12.2008 - 01:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by -DC-002- on 01.12.2008 at 00:23

Am I the only one that cringes a little bit when they hear the word Extreme Power Metal. the name of the genre just doesn't site well with me. I don't know why...

Well yeah it is a weird name but it is not half as bad as the achings I get when I hear "Bodom are the best death metulz!"
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.12.2008 - 01:18
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Lucas on 01.12.2008 at 01:11

Written by -DC-002- on 01.12.2008 at 00:23

Well yeah it is a weird name but it is not half as bad as the achings I get when I hear "Bodom are the best death metulz!"

I think my brain has learned to tune that type of heathenistic language out of my head as a survival mechanism. Human Evolution at work
----
Coldgrits
04.12.2008 - 22:13
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I guess my vote goes for Petri from Norther. His voice is very versatile, he can either sing a really touchy ballad with clean vocals or a fast song with powerful growl voice.
I don't like Pekka's vocals in the last 2 albums. And even if I'm a COB fan I gotta admit that Alexi's voice sucks real bad.. IMO anyway.. :
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
05.12.2008 - 01:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Dark Blood on 04.12.2008 at 22:13

I guess my vote goes for Petri from Norther. His voice is very versatile, he can either sing a really touchy ballad with clean vocals or a fast song with powerful growl voice.
I don't like Pekka's vocals in the last 2 albums. And even if I'm a COB fan I gotta admit that Alexi's voice sucks real bad.. IMO anyway.. :

Actually, Kristian Ranta handles the clean vocals in Norther.
----
05.12.2008 - 02:28
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Great... I honestly didn't know that What a jerk. Anyway my vote is still for Petri out of these vocalists.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
05.12.2008 - 03:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
And I agree man!
----
05.12.2008 - 18:10
-Soulreaper-
Went with Pekka. His vocals are just kick ass. Alexi isnt that good in my opinion. And Petri is just alright.
09.12.2008 - 17:32
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
All three suck, but Petri's voice is less bad... Though it ruins Ensiferum's last album.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
15.04.2009 - 15:13
Tordah
Alexi Laiho probably has the most memorable of all three. But I prefer Pekka just because he's in Kalmah.

Plus, Pekka is the only one who can black screach, death scream and growl. Furthermore, I've actually heard it with TUNE before!
15.04.2009 - 16:22
ForeverDarkWoods
Pekka is the best of all three. Easily the most versatile. But then again, Laiho's voice hes never been anything special and is downright awful on the later Bodom stuff, and Norther is just plain generic to begin with, while Kalmah actually is a good band.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
14.07.2009 - 05:56
Jari Maenpaa is great. Anyone who listens to the debut from Wintersun will be blown away by his vocals. I picked Alexi Laiho out of the list, but I don't think he is a very good vocalist, nevertheless an excellent guitarist
----
It's the shallow deeds who is to blame
Deafening shrieks pierced the night
A step from oblivion
Moving into the dim lights
Hiding within a reverie
It was worth it for the wait alone-Mikael Åkerfeldt
30.07.2009 - 05:11
wormdrink414
elite
Written by Cradleoffilth88 on 14.07.2009 at 05:56

Jari Maenpaa is great. Anyone who listens to the debut from Wintersun will be blown away by his vocals. I picked Alexi Laiho out of the list, but I don't think he is a very good vocalist, nevertheless an excellent guitarist

Hate to agree with a Cradle of Filth fan but everything you said is true.
30.07.2009 - 09:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Petri Lindroos...he is most sympathetic for me and i like his voice as well
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.09.2011 - 19:53
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Jari. He's extreme, and his clean vocals are kick-ass!
12.03.2012 - 20:00
I voted for Laiho but where is Jari Mäenpää of Wintersun?
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
25.01.2013 - 19:34
nille
It is clear who the best vocal .........
( Pekka Kokko ) Best vocal "and Kalmah best melodic death metal band is history .....
25.01.2013 - 19:45
nille
Many people who hear this style of music to be "the best band *kalmah* and *Pekka Kokko* are the best vocal in the light .....
MetalHeads professionals working with people who do not like Alexi Laiho ...... He's an idiot all means ....