Metal Storm logo
Iced Earth - Old Drummer Returns

Brent Smedley, drummer for Iced Earth in the later 90's has rejoined the band. He will be the drummer for Iced Earth's upcoming tours, and on the band's recording of their upcoming concept album the "Something Wicked" saga Parts 1 & 2. He will then remain as their drummer in the future. Smedley originally left the band due to 'personal issues'.

Here is a posting by Iced Earth mainman Jon Schaffer on Iced Earth's official website:

"For those of you not familiar you can hear Brent's amazing drumming on the 'Alive in Athens' CD, which in my opinion is the best thing about the recording. I can tell you that on a personal level this makes me very happy. Brent left the band about 7 years ago due to personal issues and I've missed him ever since. WELCOME BACK BROTHER!! The machine gun tight rhythm section is back!!!!

I wish Bobby Jarzombek the best of luck in his future endeavors, it was a pleasure jamming with him in the short time that we did.

Due to a personal situation Ernie Carletti will not be able to participate in band activities.

I will be making a significant announcement concerning the guitar and bass player positions very soon.

Also, the writing is going well and things are on track. I will post some details soon on www.icedearth.com. As challenging as this gigantic story is to tell in music, I have no doubt that it will be the pinnacle of Iced Earth's work thus far".

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Posted: 11.10.2006 by Necrowinter

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 10   Visited by: 3 users
11.10.2006 - 12:59
ylside

Wonderful news ? Hope my beloved IE will pull out something magnificent in the future.
11.10.2006 - 13:49
Anathemani@c

Yes, that is true. What they need now more than anything else in IE is BARLOW.
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
11.10.2006 - 17:14
vladimir nullus
Account deleted
Very good news indeed.
Now I wish Barlow returns as clean male vocalist, Tim can stay for the extreme vocals. Wouldn't that be great!:banger2:
11.10.2006 - 20:31
RavenLord

Another day, another IE lineup change....

Still, this makes me quite excited about the new album...it should be good!
----
11.10.2006 - 22:31
jadawal

Don't Iced Earth sometimes use fake(computer) drumming on some albums? I know for a fact they use it in SWTWC, and in both Demons and Wizards albums they use computerized drumming. Whats up with that? I don't really understand the point it makes to have fake drumming, it sounds all fakey and shitty.

If only I could contact Schaffer and ask him myself. But its good that Brent Smedley is back, he definatly adds to the band.
11.10.2006 - 23:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Do you mean triggered drums or an actual drum machine? Many people use triggers these days for production.

Anyway, this is quite cool. I am excited to see what Tim can do now that he has room to stretch his voice. Should be great.
----
The force will be with you, always.
12.10.2006 - 00:48
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Excellent news. Now, they need to hire another guitar player that can play and compose as well as Larry Tarnowski did and they might put up something as good as their pre-"Horror Show" demise...
12.10.2006 - 11:18
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
When will these damn changes end with Iced Earth...

It's as if they change members everyday, yeesh...
13.10.2006 - 01:51
PrettyMao

Written by jadawal on 11.10.2006 at 22:31

Don't Iced Earth sometimes use fake(computer) drumming on some albums? I know for a fact they use it in SWTWC, and in both Demons and Wizards albums they use computerized drumming. Whats up with that? I don't really understand the point it makes to have fake drumming, it sounds all fakey and shitty.

If only I could contact Schaffer and ask him myself. But its good that Brent Smedley is back, he definatly adds to the band.

For Something Wicked and some other albums they recruited session drummer Mark Prator...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Prator

In their live show the drummer, for some songs, will play along to a click track so that they can meet the cues for pre-recorded effects... i.e. the monk chanting found at the end of Something Wicked....

but I dont' think they have ever used "fake drums" (aka a drum machine)
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
13.10.2006 - 19:28
jadawal

Written by PrettyMao on 13.10.2006 at 01:51

Written by jadawal on 11.10.2006 at 22:31

For Something Wicked and some other albums they recruited session drummer Mark Prator...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Prator

In their live show the drummer, for some songs, will play along to a click track so that they can meet the cues for pre-recorded effects... i.e. the monk chanting found at the end of Something Wicked....

but I dont' think they have ever used "fake drums" (aka a drum machine)

Yeah well I didn't know what they used, but it is fake, I can tell. And I know for a fact that both D&W's releases both use fake drumming too. I find you can tell since every hit of the hi-hat sounds exactly the same and every hit of the cymbals have the exact same attack sound and crash to it. Listen to one of their slower songs on the album Something Wicked This Way Comes like the song Blessed Are You. You'll be sure to agree.

Hits total: 2437 | This month: 12