03. A Fair Judgement
04. For Absent Friends
05. Master's Apprentices
06. By The Pain I See In Others

Top 20 albums of 2002: 6
Top 200 albums of all time: 160
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Maestro Musik & Studio Fredman During The Summer Of 2002.
Produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Co-produced by Steven Wilson.
Engineered by Isak Edh, Fredrik Nordström & Steven Wilson.
Mixed by Andy Sneap at Backstage Studios and Opeth.
Mastered by Göran Finnberg at the Mastering room.

All music and lyrics written by Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Photography by Harry Välimäki.
Artwork designed and executed by Travis Smith.

Guest review by
Justin
Rating:
Sweden's premiere progressive black metal act Opeth have unleashed their most anticipated release to date, their sixth album, Deliverance. This release marks the first part of a projected two album instalment, with the second part Damnation due to be released in March.
Opeth first came into prominence with their fourth release Still Life back in 1999. But it was the follow up Blackwater Park in 2001 that really broke the band into the mainstream. So with expectations on high, Deliverance has to deliver the goods. And thankfully, the album is right up there as one of their best to date. Opeth have been reluctant to vary their unique style over their six albums , but there are some very noticeable changes within Deliverance.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (17)

Guest review by
danielllewis
Rating:
Opeth seems to be one of the most popular metal acts out there. I guess the reason for this is that their music is so accessible to fans of any sub genre seeing as they're progressive death metal. But with their 5th release, "Deliverance", the band have taken a much more death metal approach than usual, resulting in their heaviest album.

Read more ››
published 15.07.2009 | Comments (27)

Found in 68 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 47   Visited by: 1575 users
19.11.2011 - 23:57
Rating: 7
Regolith
My least favorite Opeth album - very uninspired sounding.
There are some gems hidden within some of the songs but as a whole (after many listens over the years) it lacks what most Opeth albums have: a soul. The only elements that stick in my mind are negative ones, like boring, repedetive riffs, less-than-par production and songs that do not need to be as long as they are (*cough* 'Wreath...*cough* 'Deliverence'). Although, one said 'gem' lies in 'Delieverence'; the breakdown at the end is very, very cool.
'A Fair Judgement' is probably my favorite, which is ironic considering it is the softest song on a suposed-to-be hard album. There are many drawn-out riffs that seem to only be there to put a larger number in the time slot next to the song (thus being more progressive).

Apologies for the harsher tone but keep in mind I love Opeth and this honest review is for those who would seek to buy an Opeth album and want an honest critique. Advice: start somwhere else, like 'Still Life' or 'Ghost Riveries'.
16.02.2012 - 14:16
Rating: 8
mz
Written by Regolith on 19.11.2011 at 23:57

My least favorite Opeth album - very uninspired sounding.
There are some gems hidden within some of the songs but as a whole (after many listens over the years) it lacks what most Opeth albums have: a soul. The only elements that stick in my mind are negative ones, like boring, repedetive riffs, less-than-par production and songs that do not need to be as long as they are (*cough* 'Wreath...*cough* 'Deliverence'). Although, one said 'gem' lies in 'Delieverence'; the breakdown at the end is very, very cool.
'A Fair Judgement' is probably my favorite, which is ironic considering it is the softest song on a suposed-to-be hard album. There are many drawn-out riffs that seem to only be there to put a larger number in the time slot next to the song (thus being more progressive).

Apologies for the harsher tone but keep in mind I love Opeth and this honest review is for those who would seek to buy an Opeth album and want an honest critique. Advice: start somwhere else, like 'Still Life' or 'Ghost Riveries'.

exactly what I think about this one. this album is more suitable for the death metal fans who want to try some opeth . very simplistic compared to every thing they have done except the damnation .
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.03.2012 - 20:57
Rating: 10
Pelagial
Perfect concept join with Damnation
04.03.2012 - 21:31
Rating: 9
Korah
A masterpiece! The drum part in Deliverance is amazing.
----
Don't cry for my English
02.05.2012 - 18:22
infernaldeath87
So heavy I love all of it!
10.06.2012 - 01:32
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Fantastic album and it joins with its companion album Damnation very nicely. By The Pain I See In Others is a song I constantly return to.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
27.07.2012 - 04:56
infernaldeath87
I bought this record two weeks ago after listening to it a few times online. I already knew this was Opeth's heaviest album, but I don't feel that it's boring or repetitive at all. In fact, I believe it is very precise and meticulous, and given that it is a different direction for the band, it goes great with Damnation, thus making it an awesome and interesting record.
02.11.2012 - 04:13
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Wow, I haven't listened to this album in literally almost 10 years! When I first bought it and listened, I remember being disappointed because I wanted another Blackwater Park. But with age, I have become more open minded, wiser and......more realistic haha.
Seriously though, while it may lack a certain dark feeling compared to earlier works, above all..... it's actually not bad as a whole.
So I give it an 8.
03.02.2014 - 06:08
Rating: 6
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
For me this is Opeth's most tedious album, whether it's more suited for death metal fans or not, it just sounds mundane in their discography.
03.02.2014 - 08:13
mz
Written by deadone on 03.02.2014 at 01:20

The problem is that Deliverance is a bit too tedious even for us more straight forward Death Metal fans.

True, but I didn't say that "it's suitable for death metal fans" and I agree with you. I see this album as a start for those who are primarily into death metal want to get into opeth. I'd much rather listening to Morbid Angel, for instance.
----
02.05.2014 - 22:20
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by deadone on 03.02.2014 at 11:31

I see what you mean.

I'd actually sooner recommend them Blackwater Park.

11.08.2014 - 21:36
One of the Best ever
22.08.2014 - 07:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Their heaviest and most direct album to date, which is exactly what I was hoping for. When I'm in the mood for variation and constant mood changes, I'll listen to Blackwater Park. This is one I could get used to listening to frequently - it tones down everything I dislike about the band. Its softer moments seem to accentuate the more brutal ones rather than detracting from them, aside from the filler known as A Fair Judgement. I think it's safe to say this is my favorite Opeth release.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2014 - 13:48
mz
Haha A Fair Judgement is my most favorite track of this record.
----
22.08.2014 - 14:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Same as mz, wouldn't call it a filler. Very atmospheric track that works perfectly as a middle point for the album. I liked this album a lot when I first started listening to Opeth but nowdays it's not hot enough. It does have some brilliant moments though and tracks like By The Pain I See In Others are among the most underrated of their career.
Definitely their heaviest album but sometimes it gets monotonous. The first track being an obvious example of this. It should have been a shorter and tighter album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.08.2014 - 17:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I wouldn't be surprised if more people disagreed with my opinions regarding Opeth to be honest. I'm not exactly a fan of the band and the parts that I enjoy most about them seem to be the parts most of the fans find dull and boring. That's because I generally don't like prog on its own, but this heavier uptempo style is more suited to my personal taste.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2014 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Every time anyone calls ths one Opeth's heaviest album I am totally surpised. When you compare it to Damnation it is heavy. But it doesn't come close to Orchid, Morningrise and My Arms Your Hearse when talking about heaviness.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2014 - 17:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.08.2014 at 17:38

Every time anyone calls ths one Opeth's heaviest album I am totally surpised. When you compare it to Damnation it is heavy. But it doesn't come close to Orchid, Morningrise and My Arms Your Hearse when talking about heaviness.

I think it has to do with the production as well. The first albums (specially the first two) were a bit thinner so they came across as less heavy to me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.10.2014 - 07:48
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw

I don't think the first two albums are as heavy as you say they are, but I've also never understood why Deliverance is called their heaviest. And it's not just the weaker production sound; musically, Blackwater Park was much more aggressive much more often than Deliverance was, and I feel like there's more soft moments in Deliverance than there was in BP overall. If anything, Opeth was at their heaviest on the three albums from My Arms, Your Hearse to Blackwater Park.
----
18.11.2014 - 08:39
My second favorite Opeth album. Amazing work, and Mikael should be proud of the closer track (surprised he doesn't like it). Amazing song.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
30.11.2014 - 20:03
Toxik
Probably my favorite Opeth album, only problem it's only 6 tracks but there so well writen it dosn't matter
Deliverance is awesome
01.12.2014 - 08:43
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Toxik on 30.11.2014 at 20:03

Probably my favorite Opeth album, only problem it's only 5 tracks but there so well writen it dosn't matter
Deliverance is awesome

But there's 6 tracks. Or did you lose your extra finger, too.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.12.2014 - 19:20
Toxik
Written by M C Vice on 01.12.2014 at 08:43

Written by Toxik on 30.11.2014 at 20:03

Probably my favorite Opeth album, only problem it's only 5 tracks but there so well writen it dosn't matter
Deliverance is awesome

But there's 6 tracks. Or did you lose your extra finger, too.

Sorry, fixed
28.01.2015 - 09:29
Rating: 6
Dr. Strawberry
I suffered from Metal Fatigue after listening to this album.

Not a bad album but a bit aimless and each track is too long, obviously they've shown a lot of deviation and distraction. Very much weaker than Black Water Park and Damnation.
17.03.2015 - 22:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Totally agree whit you IMO its softest (if we don't count what follows up) so far....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.12.2015 - 23:15
Erudon
This album remixed in 5.1 is awesome!!! so much better now
01.09.2019 - 01:53
Zap
This album is proof that Opeth was perfectly capable of making boring music before getting rid of harsh vocals.
26.05.2020 - 12:56
nonZero
Clearly a step down from albums that preceded it, but still an excellent release.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
03.10.2020 - 13:40
Metren
Dreadrealm
Not Opeth's best album by any stretch, but damn, Master's Apprentices is their catchiest song ever, it's sooooo good.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
03.10.2020 - 14:15
JoHn Doe
I haven't listened to this album in a really long time. Not my to go album when it comes to death metal Opeth.

I should give it a listen soon.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 32940 | This month: 80