Metal Storm logo
Looking for instrumental Progressive metal bands

11.10.2006 - 22:59
ylside

Exactly, I would really be grateful if you can show me some prog bands with no vocals. I really enjoy Gordian Knot, Continuo Renacer and Liquid Tension Experiment, if you know anything similar...
11.10.2006 - 23:34
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Canvas Solaris: A more recent complex technical progressive metal band who writes long instrumental songs, as you can see from their two releases, Spatial/Design and Sublimination...

Dysrhythmia: This instumental progressive metal band has been around for awhile and their music is pretty choppy and chaotic and really worth checking out...I personally have only been able to collect songs here and there...

Kong: This mention is extremely important, going back all the way to 1990 with their first instrumental progressive metal album that contains electronic samples, electronic drums, strange sounding bass lines and song titles that reflect what is going on in the song (something that Spastic Ink took from them)...I recommend their earlier instrumental albums before they became progressive instrumental techno metal...

Planet X: Derek Sherinian's band featuring one of the most amazing technical drummers, Virgil Donati...they have a history of having problems with bassists and currently do not have one but they are certainly worth checking out...

Spastic Ink: Bow down and worship all that is Spastic Ink! They are the most complex technical progressive metal bands currently gracing the scene...with songs like Aquanet, Just A Little Bit and A Wild Hare, nobody, I repeat, NOBODY IN THE PROGRESSIVE METAL INDUSTRY CAN TOUCH THEM! Ron Jarzombek is God Of All That Is Guitar...every single thing they have ever done (that's only two albums of material) is without a doubt worth checking out...

And that's my two cents...I hope you enjoy checking out those bands...
11.10.2006 - 23:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Like Krap'N Korrupt said, defintiely Kong. A shame they aren't around anymore I used to go and see them live a couple of times a year. Live they were very innovative sporting four stages with a band memebr on each single one of them. A stage in every corner of the hall they were prerformign in, and then the audience could walk around creating their own mix.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2006 - 00:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno if its posible get it but its Milos dado solo project, he are czceh musician and his album are instrumental, lil like Jazz Rock, something from freek kitchen but I had hear some songs and I dunno where its posible get them, I saw them in TV so lil remaind me Freak Kitchen
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2006 - 11:56
ylside

Written by Guest on 11.10.2006 at 23:34

Canvas Solaris: A more recent complex technical progressive metal band who writes long instrumental songs, as you can see from their two releases, Spatial/Design and Sublimination...

Dysrhythmia: This instumental progressive metal band has been around for awhile and their music is pretty choppy and chaotic and really worth checking out...I personally have only been able to collect songs here and there...

Kong: This mention is extremely important, going back all the way to 1990 with their first instrumental progressive metal album that contains electronic samples, electronic drums, strange sounding bass lines and song titles that reflect what is going on in the song (something that Spastic Ink took from them)...I recommend their earlier instrumental albums before they became progressive instrumental techno metal...

Planet X: Derek Sherinian's band featuring one of the most amazing technical drummers, Virgil Donati...they have a history of having problems with bassists and currently do not have one but they are certainly worth checking out...

Spastic Ink: Bow down and worship all that is Spastic Ink! They are the most complex technical progressive metal bands currently gracing the scene...with songs like Aquanet, Just A Little Bit and A Wild Hare, nobody, I repeat, NOBODY IN THE PROGRESSIVE METAL INDUSTRY CAN TOUCH THEM! Ron Jarzombek is God Of All That Is Guitar...every single thing they have ever done (that's only two albums of material) is without a doubt worth checking out...

And that's my two cents...I hope you enjoy checking out those bands...

Excellent !! Thanks a lot ! Although I've already heard a Spastik Ink album and it had vocals (??) did I got the wrong thing ?
Dysrhythmia Thanks for reminding me of that band, all I could do is gather one mp3 quite long ago (which was awesome)
Ok seems like you and Ozman emphasize on Kong, I look for these 3 remaining.

@K7 : Yes man as I told I'm also looking for jazz too so thanks !
12.10.2006 - 12:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:

@K7 : Yes man as I told I'm also looking for jazz too so thanks !

But this band is like Jazz mix whit diferernt rock, metal and stuff and also you can try Rush instrumental songs
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2006 - 15:56
bangladesh

I think that you should check Pelican...long songs (8-12min.) and very emotives...another similar but more soft is Red Sparowes. I think that Pelican can enjoy anyone
12.10.2006 - 18:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@ylside: Ink Compatible...their 2004 and most recent album...so now, you didn't get the wrong thing...the vocals are done by the ever constipated Jason McMaster (vocals to me sound like; 'I got up this morning and I had to take a crap...the goddamn piece of shit just didn't come outta my ass...)

Yeah...if there is one thing that the Ozman and I agree with, it's on Kong...if anything
12.10.2006 - 20:32
ylside

Written by bangladesh on 12.10.2006 at 15:56

I think that you should check Pelican...long songs (8-12min.) and very emotives...another similar but more soft is Red Sparowes. I think that Pelican can enjoy anyone

Yes man I know those two, very chilling and enjoyable

@Kapt : I'm listening right now to Planet X and it's great. About Spastik Ink, I should have tried their first album then, will do. Is Ron Jarzombek's solo project great too ?
12.10.2006 - 21:49
Ivor
Staff
Dysrhythmia is a pretty weird stuff. Suffice to say the music justifies the name. I didn't find it too attractive in the end.

Spastic Ink you can listen to but Imo it's not that interesting. True, skilled musicianship and all but it's not all that interesting. It's like piloting a jet while trying to solve differential equations.

My picks.

• 7for4, something in the vain of Liquid Tension Experiment but more neo style.
  • Platypus, the first album is without vocals if I'm not mistaken.
  • Mastermind "Excelsior" is amazing album from instrumental standpoint.
  • Anand "Mysterious Ways" sounds pretty good guitar oriented stuff. I'm listening to it for the first time right now. Really pleasant.
  • Arsnova, that is if you want something really crazy. Japanese girls playing prog. It's been hard to digest even for me.

I might remember something else to advise. I have to browse the stuff I have, I don't remember all from the top of my head. Not many have been very interesting and memorable enough.

Let me know if you find something that suits you.

Cheers,
I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
12.10.2006 - 22:11
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Here is one no one has mentioned, Behold... The Arctopus .

This New York based band plays Progressive/Technical Metal. All instrumental. Their album Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning has just been re-issued. It contains the "Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning" and "Arctopocalypse Now... Warmageddon Later" EPs Remastered, along with a full live set!

One interesting thing about this band is Colin Marston plays the Warr Guitar. A very interesting instrument, much like a Chapman Stick.

Check out their Website or their MySpace. I have their EPs and album. Great work!
----
(space for rent)
12.10.2006 - 22:53
ylside

Indeed.
Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning is probably the most technical music I've ever heard up to now !
13.10.2006 - 00:28
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I agree with you all, Gordian Knot are an amazing prog instrumental band that I just love, each member is amazing at his instrument. Another firm favourite is dysrhythmia, with spastic ink, so I agree with all these suggestions. I'll look into Behold... The Arctopus, sounds really interesting.
07.03.2007 - 17:26
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I think I should start listening to such bands...
----
that which shines without names and forms...
09.03.2007 - 16:25
Karlis
Account deleted
Try to find:
Stride - Album: Music Machine, Kiko Loureiro (Angra guitarist) - Album: No Gravity, Marcel Coenen - Album: Guitar Talk, Regency - Album: Awakening
09.03.2007 - 17:35
Markku
Account deleted
Try a band called Actual Time.
11.03.2007 - 00:51
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Great thread! I've got to know some amazing bands through this thread..
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
30.08.2007 - 17:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Wow, this thread definately interests me. I'm gona start checking these bands out.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.08.2007 - 01:31
Anathemani@c

I 'd suggest that you take a closer look at that greek prog metal band, called fragile vastness... There are some instrumental songs in their alboum... Download it as soon as possible before it gets deleted from rapidshare....
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
01.09.2007 - 14:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I must thank you, for your suggestions. Right now im loving spastic ink, platypus and Planet X.

thank you thank you thank you
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.09.2007 - 02:55
ylside

Written by BloodTears on 01.09.2007 at 14:32

I must thank you, for your suggestions. Right now im loving spastic ink, platypus and Planet X.

thank you thank you thank you

I'm glad this thread was useful to someone else hahaha.
One excellent band Ivor recommended me long ago was Electro Quarterstaff. I really like them.
28.10.2007 - 03:22
pete
Account deleted
well i´ve been trying to listen to that band for a while,the same happenened with
thought industry,i can find the complete albums anywhere.so if anyone is gentle enough to upload them(or trade them)it will be rewarded
it would also be cool to put some info on the bands you mention(meaning, i´ve beeen looking for
stride,etc and nothing apperaas)
well my mail is
glp_025@yahoo.com.ar
01.11.2007 - 19:09
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I know I mentioned Behold... The Arctopus before. But their new album just came out and it a special guest on it...Jordan Rudess.
----
(space for rent)
11.02.2008 - 20:16
huntermike85
Account deleted
Who is Jordan Rudess?
11.02.2008 - 20:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 11.02.2008 at 20:16

Who is Jordan Rudess?

Are you serious?
----
12.02.2008 - 05:17
Ascalon

Pelican, Jordan Rudess, Terry Bozzio, Bozzio Levin Stevens, Planet X, Liquid Tension Experiment
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
12.12.2008 - 07:19
DeathByDeath
Account deleted
You should check out Tetrafusion (progressive/rock)

I think they have a new album coming out early next year. Regardless, they have a lot of badass instrumentals up on their myspace:

www.myspace.com/tetrafusion

If your after the heavier songs, try The Beginning or Dark MAtter..the others are awesome but not as heavy
12.12.2008 - 08:57
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I don't think they have been mentioned on here yet, so check out Scale the Summit: myspace.com/scalethesummit
12.12.2008 - 18:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Question, hoe come no one has mentioned Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" yet?
----
(space for rent)
13.12.2008 - 22:35
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 12.12.2008 at 18:35

Question, hoe come no one has mentioned Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" yet?

I would consider that more or less instrumental rock, not necessarily metal.