Metal Storm logo
Looking for instrumental Progressive metal bands

Original post

Posted by ylside, 11.10.2006 - 22:59
Exactly, I would really be grateful if you can show me some prog bands with no vocals. I really enjoy Gordian Knot, Continuo Renacer and Liquid Tension Experiment, if you know anything similar...
14.12.2008 - 02:37
I actually need more Instrumental Prog as well, so I'm in the same boat.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
14.12.2008 - 05:40
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 13.12.2008 at 22:35

Written by Dane Train on 12.12.2008 at 18:35

Question, hoe come no one has mentioned Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" yet?

I would consider that more or less instrumental rock, not necessarily metal.

That all comes down to where you draw the line between Rock and Metal. I for one have a very liberal interpritation of Metal, where others are more conservative on their view.
----
(space for rent)
14.12.2008 - 10:01
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 14.12.2008 at 05:40

Written by Guest on 13.12.2008 at 22:35

Written by Dane Train on 12.12.2008 at 18:35

Question, hoe come no one has mentioned Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" yet?

I would consider that more or less instrumental rock, not necessarily metal.

That all comes down to where you draw the line between Rock and Metal. I for one have a very liberal interpritation of Metal, where others are more conservative on their view.

Well, Satriani labels his music as progressive rock, so I'm going to stick with that.
16.12.2008 - 02:03
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...maybe you would like petrucci's album suspended animation, i found it quite interesting...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
17.12.2008 - 04:57
the stranger
Written by Ascalon on 12.02.2008 at 05:17

Pelican, Liquid Tension Experiment

I second those. Especially Liquid Tension Experiment, members of Dream Theater going pure instrumental. I don't like it much, but for those who love elaborate, insturmental prog this is exactlly what they're looking for.
17.12.2008 - 06:56
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by the stranger on 17.12.2008 at 04:57

I second those. Especially Liquid Tension Experiment, members of Dream Theater going pure instrumental. I don't like it much, but for those who love elaborate, insturmental prog this is exactlly what they're looking for.

What is really interesting about LTE that many people do not realize is that it was pretty much a jam session.
----
(space for rent)
17.12.2008 - 19:02
the stranger
Written by Dane Train on 17.12.2008 at 06:56

Written by the stranger on 17.12.2008 at 04:57

What is really interesting about LTE that many people do not realize is that it was pretty much a jam session.

Indeed. A jam session that turned out in two albums as far as I am concerned. That is what you get from such great musicians.
11.04.2010 - 18:02
pino
I'm a fan of Inner Quest, it's an italian prog band without voice. Their website is www.innerquest.it
I've listened their album Endless Illusion. I think it's a good work. Tell me wath do you think about it.
11.04.2010 - 18:56
Zuzuz0r
Kinda strange that nobody has mentioned Indukti, they are almost purely instrumental(only got 4 songs with vocals), they are more experimental, sounds like something between Tool,King Crimson and even some Arcturus, different from the technical Dream Theater-ish bands that most people mentioned here.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
11.04.2010 - 19:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Blotted Science - for those who haven't heard it. Check it out. Unbelievable, unique, unmatched, mind-blowing guitar work.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.04.2010 - 11:43
Zhao
The Arkaholic
MCM, its like Ark without Tore Ostby and Mats Olausson. Marco Sfoglis solo project is also worth checking out, he's kinda strangled in James Labries band.
15.04.2010 - 02:26
Silent_wolfer
Two bands i can mention is Scale the Summit and Animals as Leaders.
30.09.2010 - 20:18
You should definately check out Animals As Leaders. 2 8 string guitars one being Tosin Abasi(dont know the other guys name) and Navene Koperweis on drums so it gets pretty intense. Theyre a pretty new band so they only have one album out but its rediculous and will blow your mind
30.09.2010 - 22:06
Iriki
Freakeys should be mentioned here. It's a project created by the guys from Angra and Hangar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freakeys

http://www.myspace.com/freakeys
01.10.2010 - 05:39
joaquin
Well u can also get some warmen songs they have lots of instrumentals and u can check for some richard andersson projects
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
18.01.2011 - 10:13
whiteadi
Yes Ktulu I also like Blotted Science
there are some more: Spastic Ink, Bossk, Porcupine Tree have also many songs without any voice
----
take the power back!
28.01.2011 - 00:13
BerserkerLT
Maybe something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDFFnVyiI0c&feature=related
28.01.2011 - 01:12
Ragana
Rawrcat
I don't know how metal is this, but I think some listening to Cloudkicker won't do any harm.
06.02.2011 - 00:47
Empyror
Check out Planet X and Derek Sherinian's solo albums.
06.02.2011 - 07:34
Grody2themax
Check out revocation. Although the often have lyrics they have some amazing instrumental pieces in their albums.
06.02.2011 - 09:19
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Grody2themax on 06.02.2011 at 07:34

Check out revocation. Although the often have lyrics they have some amazing instrumental pieces in their albums.

don't think it's a good choice in a "instrumental progressive metal" thread. No, seriously, it's too much Technical Death Metal, and it's just not instrumental. But! The band is cool, especially their first album.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

06.02.2011 - 11:46
baldur
Gordian knot all the way!
06.02.2011 - 23:59
@gent_-_orange
Check out a band called Exivious, they are made up from members of cynic and a few other bands. The sound is a sort of Jazz fusion style of Prog metal, unfortunately that album is hard as hell to find so youll probably have to listen to it over the internet or something.
07.02.2011 - 00:35
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by @gent_-_orange on 06.02.2011 at 23:59

Check out a band called Exivious, they are made up from members of cynic and a few other bands. The sound is a sort of Jazz fusion style of Prog metal, unfortunately that album is hard as hell to find so youll probably have to listen to it over the internet or something.

I have always had hard time getting into their debut. I mean there is good music there, but there is also a lot of boring stuff for me, too much boring stuff. Maybe will listen to them soon to "update" my opinion.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.02.2011 - 01:01
@gent_-_orange
Written by K✞ulu on 07.02.2011 at 00:35

Written by @gent_-_orange on 06.02.2011 at 23:59

I have always had hard time getting into their debut. I mean there is good music there, but there is also a lot of boring stuff for me, too much boring stuff. Maybe will listen to them soon to "update" my opinion.

Yeh i agree with you on that... it took many listens from me in order to like that album, it is definitley not an "immediate" record. But rewards after many many many listens.
07.02.2011 - 01:38
Sonic MrSumo
There was an Australian instrumental 3 piece called Storytime from the mid '90s. Unfortunately they released only 1 LP (The Puzzleman) and 2 EP's (Crystal Journey's and The Sonic Adventures of Mr Sumo) and these are very hard to find. I have all 3 releases, and they're all brilliant instrumental progressive metal / rock.

Here is a taste...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlrxblO3dEg
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
07.02.2011 - 23:31
Animals As Leaders is a great one, also check out Jeff Loomis' solo album "Zero Order Phase" definitely something worth checking out

and if your interested, you could always check out my band Phoenix & Dragon, we have been instrumental since the beginning, but are looking for a power metal, progressive singer like michael kiske and james labrie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXvXZmkpW-E&feature=related
----
POWER METAL!!
12.02.2011 - 07:26
Grody2themax
Written by K✞ulu on 06.02.2011 at 09:19

Written by Grody2themax on 06.02.2011 at 07:34

don't think it's a good choice in a "instrumental progressive metal" thread. No, seriously, it's too much Technical Death Metal, and it's just not instrumental. But! The band is cool, especially their first album.

Well, there second album is much less technical and more progressive. The first song on the album is killer instrumental. Across forests and fjords is purely instrumental. There are parts of songs that could easily be a part of some instrumental type song. Lastly, the end of "The Tragedy of Modern Ages" is one of the most unique instrumental parts I've ever heard.
18.02.2011 - 19:11
lopper
Check out "an endless sporadic" -insane stuff!
----
Sing a song of living before everybody dies
18.02.2011 - 20:03
Thunderhead
It's not metal, but is a major kicking ass progressive rock band, and is instrumental.
Mahavishinu Orchestra.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson