02. Molekuláris Gépezetek
03. Köd Utánam
04. Űrhajók Makón
05. Piroshátú
06. Esőlámpás
07. Kabócák, Bodobácsok
08. Őszi Varázslók
09. Fehér Berek

Thy Catafalque are masters at portraying nature and summoning magical myth-heralding auras through their music. In Hungary they dwell and with the sweat of epic-ness on their brow they forged their fourth brainchild, 2009's Róka Hasa Rádió.

After ten consecutive listens, it utterly inveigled me into realizing that this album has no equal in terms of originality. Folks, this is an ogre whose dragging dagger-like claws were doused since its most tender childhood into an evergreen cork oak grail enclosing a magical elixir of Negru Vodă's dark ambient lustering bewitchment, Nerthus's Black Medieval Art's mythic resonances, Negură Bunget's Vîrstele Pamîntului masterly transitions between epic pendulous black metal and ashen sere quiescence, and Kraftwerk's electronic rhythms and catchy melodies.

History is usually not written by heroes, for they usually die first at the battlefield. Their names, however, live on and gain glorious immortality. "Szervetlen", the opening 11-min track, is the soldier that dies first, yet it's the most powerful and memorable one of the nine-track arsenal of the Hungarians. It starts off soundless and then gradually builds up into a chilling atmosphere with blurry radio signals trudging in the background before a blast of trouncing guitars, galloping drums and entrancing keyboards bluster in releasing demonic thrills into the ears before abruptly crumbling down to being a beautiful art piece of soothing keyboards and beautiful atmospheric tones. Then comes "Molekuláris Gépezetek", the album's longest track (19:12): brilliant intercessions between knifelike guitars, soloing avant-garde chords, brief jazzy gashes, electronic approach à la Monkey3, tumultuous drum work, heart-warming Asian female vocals swirling around beautiful strident pitches of a single-reed clarinet and narrating whispers.

As I delved further into the depths of Róka Hasa Rádió, I realized two things. First, despite being much less lengthy than the first two, the remaining tracks are equally alluring and captivating which means that this album is well-balanced in terms of musicality. Second, this album has a bit of everything which means that everyone will find at least a twist to their liking: fierce dark black metal, ravening haunting keyboards, elegant pianistic interludes, peaceful and captivating fluty cues, acoustic verses and magical computer-generated sounds. Seriously, how often do we come across such an enthralling release? Let me answer that, it's as rare as a tasty school launch.

Magic, this is the word that best defines Róka Hasa Rádió, pure eldritch magic. My only regret is that I couldn't understand the Uralic words that mirror its delicate and spiritual side, even though, it didn't stop me from feeling its spellbinding fury writhing like larvae through my veins. This is an album for poets and daydreamers; metalheads and non-metalheads; humans, jinn and demons to revel in and get scuttled into the purest sound hailing straight from Hungary's Carpathian Mountains.

Written by Mindheist | 20.08.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 121 users
20.11.2011 - 18:25
neonxaos

Quite an original review too. I am currently on my first spin of this remarkable album. Molekuláris Gépezetek truly is a track like no other in metal. How I wish more metal bands would be as brave as this.
20.11.2011 - 20:19
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by neonxaos on 20.11.2011 at 18:25

Quite an original review too. I am currently on my first spin of this remarkable album. Molekuláris Gépezetek truly is a track like no other in metal. How I wish more metal bands would be as brave as this.

Thanks for reading it. You might wanna check their latest release Rengeteg, if you haven't already .
20.11.2011 - 21:04
neonxaos

I already got it... Can't decide which is better, though. But that's not a bad thing.
20.11.2011 - 21:04
Rating: 9
Assassiyoun

A very well-written review that gives me no choice but to check this out.
----
"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein." - Friedrich Nietzsche
20.11.2011 - 21:24
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Assassiyoun on 20.11.2011 at 21:04

A very well-written review that gives me no choice but to check this out.

Thanks for the kind words . You won't regret it ; this is one hell of an album.
21.11.2011 - 20:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I like my thesaurus too.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.11.2011 - 02:13
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 20:19

I like my thesaurus too.

There's no harm in looking up a word in the dictionary but I can ensure you I have never used Thesaurus in my entire life .

EDIT: Thanks for reading anyway .
22.11.2011 - 02:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
It's just that in your fourth paragraph you start getting into some adjective abuse. It just kind of reads like you dug into a thesaurus from time to time, although I know some of my own reviews suffer the same problem.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.11.2011 - 02:28
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 02:16

It's just that in your fourth paragraph you start getting into some adjective abuse. It just kind of reads like you dug into a thesaurus from time to time, although I know some of my own reviews suffer the same problem.

Well, I don't know about you but I guess everybody has their own approach in writing reviews. Mine for example is pretty simple and yet very efficient. What I do is that I download the album that I wish to review in my ipod and then I go to this secluded place about 8 miles from home with just a piece of paper and a pen. And during the listening process I try to write the first thoughts and impressions that come into my mind. That's about it. I'm no Marcel Proust buddy, I'm not even close but what you're reading above is pure me, no Thesaurus, nothing. .

Btw, I like you reviews. Keep up the good work .
22.11.2011 - 02:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Fair enough. I agree that everyone has their own style - I personally type mine out in my PM inbox while listening to the album late at night. After a few nights I'm ready to publish - sometimes even in one night if I'm lucky and the words just flow.

And thanks. I'll be sure to follow your reviews as they come.
----
22.11.2011 - 03:04
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 02:30

Fair enough. I agree that everyone has their own style - I personally type mine out in my PM inbox while listening to the album late at night. After a few nights I'm ready to publish - sometimes even in one night if I'm lucky and the words just flow.

And thanks. I'll be sure to follow your reviews as they come.

That's a good technique too. As for my upcoming reviews, It's been 3 months (If I'm counting right) since the last time I wrote one, but I'll get back to writing when I finish with the Trailer Music chapters. But I should warn you, I love my reviews to be highly "figurative" and rich with descriptions if you know what I mean , and my upcoming ones will be no exception to that rule. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do .
28.11.2011 - 20:49
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
This review is so poetic I had to read it aloud in a British accent to make it justice As for the album, and the band, I'll certainly give it a try, the opening track definitely caught my attention on their Myspace.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
28.11.2011 - 22:04
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by MétalNoir on 28.11.2011 at 20:49

This review is so poetic I had to read it aloud in a British accent to make it justice As for the album, and the band, I'll certainly give it a try, the opening track definitely caught my attention on their Myspace.

Thank you my friend - For reading the review and for liking it . I'll make sure that the next one will be as poetic as this one .

P.S: You just instilled a pretty much appreciated and much needed breath of encouragement into me to stay keen on writing some more.
29.11.2011 - 21:06
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Mindheist on 28.11.2011 at 22:04

Written by MétalNoir on 28.11.2011 at 20:49

Thank you my friend - For reading the review and for liking it . I'll make sure that the next one will be as poetic as this one .

P.S: You just instilled a pretty much appreciated and much needed breath of encouragement into me to stay keen on writing some more.

I see on you profile you're from Tunisia? Wow, your English is incredible O_O
----
30.11.2011 - 00:51
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by MétalNoir on 29.11.2011 at 21:06

Yeah I am . Here in Tunisia English is our third language but I try my best to come up with words that fall agreeably upon the reader's ears and give him the urge to read some more. Thanks a lot for the kind words sir, I know I still have a lot to learn but it's always nice to hear a compliment, especially from a scholar like you .
30.11.2011 - 16:21
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Mindheist on 30.11.2011 at 00:51

Yeah I am . Here in Tunisia English is our third language but I try my best to come up with words that fall agreeably upon the reader's ears and give him the urge to read some more. Thanks a lot for the kind words sir, I know I still have a lot to learn but it's always nice to hear a compliment, especially from a scholar like you .

Here in Québec, English is our second language and I swear not a hundredth of us can write that kind of stuff including me lol I hope tis is not the ast we read from you, dude ^^
----
30.11.2011 - 17:34
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by MétalNoir on 30.11.2011 at 16:21

Written by Mindheist on 30.11.2011 at 00:51

Here in Québec, English is our second language and I swear not a hundredth of us can write that kind of stuff including me lol I hope tis is not the ast we read from you, dude ^^

There will be other reviews. I'm not planning to retire anytime soon .
09.07.2013 - 00:00
Rating: 10
rdhelli@gmail.com

I liked your review very much. It encourages me to give more spins to it, not to say I did not care to do so! Though being a Hungarian, it was interesting to read that you consider the female vocals Asian (sounding)

Hits total: 6153 | This month: 10