Natural Science
Cygnus X-1
The Camera Eye
By-Tor And The Snow Dog
Jacob's Ladder

Total votes: 27
20.11.2011 - 22:39
Arcticus

Legendary progsters Rush were known in their 70s heyday for their ability to write fantastic epic songs on a regular basis. Now, the big question: which one of these behemoth tracks is the best? Which has stood the test of time better than all its multi-parted brethren? Which, fellow Rush fans, is the greatest Rush epic of all time?

My choice lies with the majestic 2112 - much as I love all of the other tracks in the list, this futuristic tale of one man's enlightenment through the discovery of music has been steadily growing on me since I first heard it, and now I can't find a single thing I don't like about it. It is testament to the greatness of Rush, however, that almost any one of the tracks mentioned could take the title.

N.B. I had to be a little ruthless with the choice of options - only having 9 places available meant only one track from the first 3 albums could be included (since none of the others could legitimately be excluded), so I went with my personal favourite of those early albums; feel free to post any alternative choices, but obviously your vote won't officially "count". Happy voting!
20.11.2011 - 23:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
What do you mean by "epic" song?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.11.2011 - 00:10
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
La Villa Strangiato for me, love that song and it has the most mass appeal due to the lack of vocals xD
21.11.2011 - 09:31
Arcticus

Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2011 at 23:01

What do you mean by "epic" song?

Ah, my bad, I assumed it would be obvious - I mean the long, multifaceted works such as those included in the voting list; basically the style Rush was (and to a large extent still is) renowned for. I realise that "epic" is a badly overused word these days, but I mean it in the sense of a lengthy, ambitious track that takes the listener on a journey, as opposed to the shorter, poppier songs that formed the other side of Rush (Closer to the Heart, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer etc). I still included Jacob's Ladder despite its somewhat shorter length (compared to the others) due to the grandiose nature of the music and lyrics.

I hope that is explanation enough for you
21.11.2011 - 09:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
More than enough of an explanation for me.

As for their epic works, I never got into them. In fact, I think the only Rush song I ever liked was Tom Sawyer. Then I heard it again in the move I Love You, Man and it reminded me how awesome it is to try singing along with Geddy Lee.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.11.2011 - 16:04
Arcticus

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 09:32

More than enough of an explanation for me.

As for their epic works, I never got into them. In fact, I think the only Rush song I ever liked was Tom Sawyer. Then I heard it again in the move I Love You, Man and it reminded me how awesome it is to try singing along with Geddy Lee.

Haha true that...just out of curiosity then, why bother posting on this thread if you're not a fan? Just asking the questions that need asking huh
21.11.2011 - 19:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Arcticus on 21.11.2011 at 16:04
Haha true that...just out of curiosity then, why bother posting on this thread if you're not a fan? Just asking the questions that need asking huh

More or less, ya. I was more curious about your definition of epic as opposed to answering the question.
----
22.11.2011 - 02:40
Thyroid

Very tough choice. I voted "Cygnus X-1, Book II: Hemispheres", such a masterpiece. La Villa Strangiato, not to mention 2112 are fantastic too - but somehow Hemispheres is like a defintion of a Rush. Kinda like link between 70's sound and modern sound.
----
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt.
What the fuck's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?
22.11.2011 - 05:57
I_Die_Often

I would vote for The Trees, always liked that song
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
23.11.2011 - 01:38
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Tough call, too many to list (not enough spaces to include "The Necromancer" and "The Fountain of Lamneth").

I chose Hemispheres...
----
rekt
23.11.2011 - 05:04
Arcticus

Written by tea[m]ster on 23.11.2011 at 01:38

Tough call, too many to list (not enough spaces to include "The Necromancer" and "The Fountain of Lamneth").

Exactly a damn shame...I did what I could with what was available
23.11.2011 - 08:34
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 09:32

Then I heard it again in the move I Love You, Man and it reminded me how awesome it is to try singing along with Geddy Lee.

I sound like Mickey Mouse when I do. Good fun. I should cover it sometime when I'm not terrible at keys.
23.11.2011 - 08:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.11.2011 at 08:34
I sound like Mickey Mouse when I do. Good fun. I should cover it sometime when I'm not terrible at keys.

In my head I actually think I do a decent job of it. Although what other people hear may be a completely different story.
----
24.11.2011 - 21:26
Ankläger

First Rush song I heard was Xanadu, and the intro gives me chills every time I hear it.
25.11.2011 - 19:37
Arcticus

Written by Ankläger on 24.11.2011 at 21:26

First Rush song I heard was Xanadu, and the intro gives me chills every time I hear it.

I was waiting for the first Xanadu vote - it was hard not to vote for it myself, such an awesome song. But, the same goes for all on the list...
27.11.2011 - 21:02
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I went with Xanadu, however picking between that and Hemispheres was very difficult and if The Necromancer had been an option I might have picked that one.

Also, since you asked for "greatest epic song" that sort of narrowed my choices to their 70's material. I consider their 80's stuff to be "merely" extended as opposed to truly epic. That's not a criticism: Natural Science is one of my top3 Rush songs.
27.11.2011 - 22:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
For meall from Moving Pictures, because epic rush was old rusch in early days , but somehow this album I love it more, all songs are epic
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.11.2011 - 13:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
2112. Boring, I know. But that song is the essence of Rush. It has all the components and diversity of the Rush songs. If you've never heard Rush, that's the song you should start with.
----
28.11.2011 - 21:29
NLthrasher

I chose for La Villa Strangiato, mostly because of the insanly epic guitar solo. All of them are masterpieces one by one. Rush never gets old. I could talk for hous about these songs but I think the songs speak for itself...
05.01.2012 - 18:46
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Where is The Working Man?
05.01.2012 - 18:59
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.01.2012 at 18:46

Where is The Working Man?

Working Man is not an epic.

hard to choose; I'll go with La Villa Strangiato
06.01.2012 - 05:34
Mattybu

My vote doesn't go to any of the songs here, it instead is on "The Necromancer" from Caress of Steel... Quite possibly my favourite Rush song.
13.01.2012 - 21:02
FrozenCorpse

I almost went with Cygnus X-1, Book II: Hemispheres , but 2112 is just the best IMO.
20.01.2012 - 22:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Mattybu on 06.01.2012 at 05:34

My vote doesn't go to any of the songs here, it instead is on "The Necromancer" from Caress of Steel... Quite possibly my favourite Rush song.

ewww....an uncommon choice, nice one. I said that one earlier too!
----
rekt
18.02.2012 - 21:50
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Alongside Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, Rush have the rare status of gods. They made the progressive style, they are the true fathers of rock.

Just listen to the last album of Rush, Snakes & Arrows, what an album...it's not often we see a band with so many years perform in such great level!!
----
greets,
kual21
25.02.2012 - 03:26
Lit.
Account deleted
I wanna go with La Villa Strangiato, but 2112 is just... wow!
27.05.2014 - 21:23
Dr.Overkill26

Dude 2112 on a cassete tape no less was my introduction to Rush... one of my all time favs You can't go wrong with Rush though.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie