Metal Storm logo
Morbid Angel interview (11/2011)

With: David Vincent
Conducted by: Baz Anderson (in person)
Published: 22.11.2011

Band profile:

Morbid Angel

The third date of Morbid Angel's European tour saw the band in Sheffield. Before the show, we joined a polite and friendly David Vincent on the tour bus and got to ask him some questions about the latest album and the future. Watch the video below to see his thoughts on the latest album now, the remix album coming out next year, and the future.

00:07 | How are you doing?
00:16 | You've got a month of touring ahead of you, how do you prepare mentally and physically for something like this?
00:58 | Your latest album has been quite controversial. It has been out a while now, so how would you reflect on the album itself and it's reaction?
01:24 | The latest album incorporates some industrial and electronic elements; how willing were the other band members to change Morbid Angel in this direction?
02:05 | Before it was released, how did you think it would go over to especially the older Morbid Angel fans?
02:37 | Is the scrutiny the band have had something you've enjoyed?
03:31 | You've got Tim Yeung drumming now, is he a permanent part of the band now?
04:16 | While you weren't in the band, did you keep track of Morbid Angel? What did you think to those albums?
05:02 | Have you ever wanted to or thought about performing any of the more industrial or colourful songs from the new album?
05:30 | What happened in the eight year gap between Heretic and the latest album?
06:34 | Looking forward to next year, you are releasing a remix album, what can you tell us about that?
06:49 | Will it be old songs or new songs?
07:30 | In the future, will Morbid Angel stay in the same vein as the last album, or will it develop again in the future?
08:21 | You're also part of Terrorizer, what can you tell us about them for next year?
08:55 | Last words.

A review of the show can be found here.

Thanks to David for his time.
Conducted and edited by Barry Anderson.
Recorded by Lydia Parry.

Posted on 22.11.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 262 users
22.11.2011 - 18:55
SymphonyImpaled

We do what we do. When we're doing what we do, doing what we do, we're doing what we do.

Brill.
22.11.2011 - 19:10
Big-Al

I am really one of the few how appreciates and like the new album?
I truly enjoy it, they are a truly artistic band + looking forward to the mentioned new Terrorizer release.

Thank you David Vincent, see you in Budapest!
----

I drink moosepiss
22.11.2011 - 21:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
What a turd. The answers he gave and the crap album he's responsible for.

Nicely done Baz.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.11.2011 - 21:40
Kingface

Great Photos and Interviews Baz! Great questions asked.

Looking forward to your gig review.
22.11.2011 - 22:01
Baz Anderson

Thanks a lot! It'll be coming soon!
22.11.2011 - 22:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.11.2011 - 22:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Nice interview Baz! I loved David's answer when asked if he kept track of Morbid Angel when he wasn't in the band. At least he doesn't have such a massive ego that would make him dismiss the material he wasn't on. Would love to hear him sing on some of the Formulas/Gateways stuff.
22.11.2011 - 23:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
That was seriously the driest interview i've seen in years. But you can tell the guy was extremely tired at that moment.

But i did laugh at "oh, you pesky people on the internet!" it's clear the guy is tired of so much hate for the new album, when imo it's just a few tracks that are actually shit.. it might be the classic metal fan in me but I love "I Am Morbid".
23.11.2011 - 02:04
second_coming89
Account deleted
I'm only just learning from this interview that Pete didn't do drums on their latest album! No Wonder it sucks! (plus David's vocals aren't nearly what they once were) lol wow, how enlightening. Morbid Angel is finished in my view, it would've been cheaper had they retired. I cannot believe he thinks it's a great record!! There's no shame in accepting defeat Mr. Vincent! I doubt the next Morbid Angel album will be "in the same vein" though, cuz if you think about it, no two Morbid Angel studio albums have ever been alike.
23.11.2011 - 07:03
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I don't know what it is, but Vincent handled that interview like a politician in some ways. Especially when he was talking about Tim Yeung's future status in the band and future endeavors (the latter i can sorta understand). and OH SHIT another maybe Laibach remix album?! Sounds interesting, I just hope they don't pull a Korn and team up with Skrillex and shit out some heinous excuse of a song.

But to Vincent's credit, even though their last album was garbage, at least he has the integrity to say, "yeah this album has caused controversy amongst our listeners, but we stand by our shit and suck it if you don't agree".
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.11.2011 - 11:26
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by LeChron James on 23.11.2011 at 07:03

I don't know what it is, but Vincent handled that interview like a politician in some ways. Especially when he was talking about Tim Yeung's future status in the band and future endeavors (the latter i can sorta understand). and OH SHIT another maybe Laibach remix album?! Sounds interesting, I just hope they don't pull a Korn and team up with Skrillex and shit out some heinous excuse of a song.

But to Vincent's credit, even though their last album was garbage, at least he has the integrity to say, "yeah this album has caused controversy amongst our listeners, but we stand by our shit and suck it if you don't agree".

Yeah, kind of the same feelings here, but not caring for the fans at all make him shit in my eyes. Like nothing happened after releasing this shit. It's not the same type of musical revolution as when Iron Maiden released their selftitled or Metallica put out Kill Em All. He almost thinks they are fucking geniuses. Crap.

Great work though Baz! Looking forward the next!
----
23.11.2011 - 12:00
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Quote:
Written by qlacs on 23.11.2011 at 11:26

Yeah, kind of the same feelings here, but not caring for the fans at all make him shit in my eyes. Like nothing happened after releasing this shit. It's not the same type of musical revolution as when Iron Maiden released their selftitled or Metallica put out Kill Em All. He almost thinks they are fucking geniuses. Crap.

Great work though Baz! Looking forward the next!

I hardly think that's the case. The release of Illud Divinum Insanus isn't that kind of musicial revolution, though it's definitely controversial in it's reception and digestion. I think he does care about the fan's reception, but I because of the extreme opinions of the album he has to take both in stride and not dwell on the opinions of either side. What I'm saying is, I don't think he's hyping Illud Divinum Insanus as a revolutionary album, but more of an album that he perceives to be an individualistic effort, rather than an album that he expects MA fans old and young to appreciate.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.11.2011 - 15:12
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
"idc-what-you-fans-spend-your-money-on" fuck looks so much like a twin of Shawn Drover.

Anyway, great interview, Baz. I loved them always, how I discovered MS anyway. I now hate this guy, tho. Artists. If he wants to be an artist, they can always make a side project and see who buys, not slap the MA name on and let all the fans spend their money on pure shit they don't want.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
24.11.2011 - 09:49
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Great job Baz, you always get to meet the legends! A very interesting interview. I didn't think the album was as awful as everyone made it out to be. I'm a fan of electronic music so maybe that helped. Of course, I only listened to it once so maybe I'll get it another once over seen and see if it's gotten better or worse. Regardless, these guys do what they do what they do...so all I can say is that I still hope to see them live someday.
----
The force will be with you, always.
24.11.2011 - 16:32
Oaken
Hipster
Written by SymphonyImpaled on 22.11.2011 at 18:55

We do what we do. When we're doing what we do, doing what we do, we're doing what we do.

Brill.

I don't think they did "what they do" on "Ilud"...
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
07.12.2011 - 16:36
TedManowar
Account deleted
I expected shit like Illud from poser bands like Metallica (they are nothing without Cliff (RIP) and Dave) but from you?

And you were supposed to be all together again, back in action. The holy trinity of all that is extreme metal. Trey, Pete & You... The fucking Gods of Extreme Metal... And all you managed was to make an embarrassing effort of an album and especially during Pete's absence... 8 years without a new album and you came out and did this!

Fuck, I'm disappointed as shit... I'd preferred it if you just split-up...

David Vincent, you immense tosser, get out of the band and be gone...
22.12.2011 - 18:56
BudDa

David Vincent is sooo cool. He though basically said nothing and yet seemed like he said a whole lot. I mean....

- Where did it go wrong with Illud Divinum Insanus. What happened? Answer - Vague
- Is Tim Yeung a parmanent drummer with the band. Is Sandoval coming back? Answer - Vague
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
29.12.2011 - 23:19
Mattybu

Yeah he was giving some vague/dodgy answers regarding IDI.

Nevertheless, cool dude and a good interview.

Hits total: 8890 | This month: 14