16. Asclepias Curassavica
17. Strelitzia Reginae
18. Trillium Recurvatum
19. Cypripedium
20. Nephrolepsis
21. Abrus Precatorius
22. A Rose From The Dead
23. - - - - -

Abandon even the vestiges of your expectations. They have no place here in the garden of the Botanist.

Encapsulated in a fascinating fictional lore, the Botanist takes the familiar theme stemming from nature and the crimes against it by man and contorts it into the bizarre verdant realm of the entity known as the Botanist.

So, this is hammered dulcimer black metal. No guitars. Nope, none at all. Just drums, vocals and that unusual hammered dulcimer. The effect is initially disorientating and bewildering to say the least. In terms of structure this is relatively standard black metal fare though, pollinating 40 tracks of "eerie and esoteric, buzzing and baffling, drum and dulcimer driven eco-terrorist black metal" (Ah, "eco-terrorist black metal", haven't heard that since Velvet Cacoon). The result is fast and frenetic "riffs" with an almost tremolo-picked ferocity. The sole familiar aspect of the Botanist's music is the 30-a-day smoker's croaks, which instantly plants it into black metal territory. The highly critical of you may question why conform to such a stereotypical approach when everything that circles it is so obscure? This grounding fundament of grimly rasps quashes the sheer un'knowableness of the band as a whole, making it all that bit more palpable, and creating an audience which it can veer toward, like dark phototropism.

Whether or not this extends beyond pure novelty is up to history. This may well wilt like a winter rose and become lost in the annals of time or it may grow upon listeners like a creeping vine. Experimentation within the genre is not always welcomed with open arms but I certainly believe that this is something that should be investigated with open-minded intrigue. This isn't exorbitantly brutal metal, nor is it an indulgent exercise in harsh noise designed specifically to break the listener's most basic programming. In fact, when all is said and done this is perfectly listenable music with a rich and colourful background and with a little dedication could bare the most wonderfully exotic of fruit.

Botanist raises an important question: what makes something black metal? For all intents and purposes this strides far and wide of the often cited qualifications, yet paradoxically it could only be regarded as so. Botanist further expands the realms and possibilities of a genre which has proven itself most vigilant in branching off from the roots of its basic protocols whilst incorporating the exterior forces of unusual and unthinkable elements that in the end make up the tapestry of modern day black metal.

All pretension, imagery and puns aside, this is a damn excellent record. It's pretty rare that a totally unique take on something is discovered and for that reason alone you should get your fingers green and give this a blast.

Written by | 23.11.2011

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 65   Visited by: 288 users
10.01.2012 - 05:48
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I actually didnt mind this... However I fell it could have been better with some bass.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.01.2012 - 06:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.01.2012 at 05:48
I actually didnt mind this... However I fell it could have been better with some bass.

One does not simply add bass to a hammered dulcimer.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.01.2012 - 08:01
a MasT

Holy crap...this guy really is doing a metal thing with a hammer dulcimer.
12.08.2014 - 16:14
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2012 at 06:44

Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.01.2012 at 05:48

One does not simply add bass to a hammered dulcimer.

Old ass comment I just saw now, but they make dulcimers that are tuned lower, if he had one that was a full octave down this would be absolutely insane.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.08.2014 - 23:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.08.2014 at 16:14
Old ass comment I just saw now, but they make dulcimers that are tuned lower, if he had one that was a full octave down this would be absolutely insane.

I was probably just talking out of my ass. I don't even remember what this sounds like it's been so long since I tried "getting it".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 8141 | This month: 5