Re-recording of Gorgoroth's third album 'Under The Sign Of Hell'

Found in 1 list
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 35   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 560 users
23.11.2011 - 20:44
Skøllgrim
Northern
Anyone have any information as to why they decided to re-record this album?
23.11.2011 - 20:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Not entirely sure what the point behind this is...

Oh, aside from easy money I mean.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.11.2011 - 21:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
I didn't know Infernus' pact with the devil was actually a business contract.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.11.2011 - 18:46
Kenos
Account deleted
You fucking stupid, retarded, ridiculous, fake blacksters. First followers of the trve raw grim cvlt norwegian transilvanian appalachian wood trend, now just a flock of mangy sheeps who play plastic satanic Guitar Pro metal. I hope you'll be brutally deflowered and anal fisted by some hot horny polydactyl black guys in a locked room and then just die while listening to this pile of horse manure.
30.11.2011 - 19:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Oh right, forgot about this. This and the Burzum comp. Huh.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.12.2011 - 00:18
Rating: 4
Slayer666
Well whadda ya know. I guess the two media whores that got kicked out of the band really were the creative juice in Gorgoroth for almost a decade.

Say what you will about Gaahl and King, but there were no pointless re-recordings in their time.
02.12.2011 - 17:59
Vombatus
Potorro
Just heard a few tracks on youtube, and it's... horrible.

Can't believe they re-recorded the thing and all the shit around it, only to make the production clearer. The old crappy production was perfect, now it's just "empty", no damn substance, plastic garbage.
02.12.2011 - 19:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Not much good being said about this... Should I even bother with it?
----
03.12.2011 - 02:21
Vombatus
Potorro
It's exactly like the previous version, except you take out the guitars fuzzy noise.

Not worth bothering.
07.12.2011 - 10:09
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.12.2011 at 19:58

Not much good being said about this... Should I even bother with it?

Nope. The record is officially ruined. Fuck you, modern technology and production. Fuck you.
07.12.2011 - 10:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 07.12.2011 at 10:09
Nope. The record is officially ruined. Fuck you, modern technology and production. Fuck you.

Ya I'm usually a slave to looking into anything black metal, but this is one album I honestly don't even care to try. Not even one song. And I listened to "The View" when it first came out.
----
08.12.2011 - 00:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm looking forward to this. I own the original, and if I remember correctly, the sound of the snare drum was so bad that it made me want to turn Christian.
08.12.2011 - 18:11
Yojimbo
Written by Dangerboner on 08.12.2011 at 00:05

I'm looking forward to this. I own the original, and if I remember correctly, the sound of the snare drum was so bad that it made me want to turn Christian.

Right, that's why I was so excited about the rerelease. The snare and the kickers were almost indecipherable. So, has that not been corrected? I heard one person say the distortion on the guitars were toned down but that's it. It seems like everyone else is opposed to the idea of a rerelease more than the actual new sound, which I've heard very little about. I'll reserve judgement until I actually hear this, as it's one of my favorite albums ever.
11.12.2011 - 03:53
Rating: 10
Rob_
Are you guys kidding me? Infernus is a genius. Gaahl and King were the worst thing to happen to Gorgoroth. The albums put out under their names were unquestionably the worst albums to date. For those saying Infernus lacks creativity, you are sadly mistaken. Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt was a great album, and the re-recording of Under The Sign of Hell is fucking amazing. I love the raw sound of the original, and understand why purist's would criticize the new version, but with that aside, the re-recording sounds great. The production is good, but not too good. There is still a raw aspect to the music. They did a good job of staying away from the over production and cheesyness that plagues so many new albums today. The sound is clearer, it's cleaner musically, and it just sounds damn good. In my opinion this is one of the best black metal releases in a long time, and represents the true definitive sound of Norwegian Black Metal. Pick it up!!! Now!
11.12.2011 - 04:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Rob_ on 11.12.2011 at 03:53
Are you guys kidding me? Infernus is a genius....In my opinion this is one of the best black metal releases in a long time, and represents the true definitive sound of Norwegian Black Metal. Pick it up!!! Now!

How much is he paying you?
----
12.12.2011 - 03:04
Rob_
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.12.2011 at 04:01

Are you guys kidding me? Infernus is a genius....In my opinion this is one of the best black metal releases in a long time, and represents the true definitive sound of Norwegian Black Metal. Pick it up!!! Now!

How much is he paying you?

Just listen to the album.
I felt the need to post because 90% of new material being released today is garbage (in my opinion), and I want to support new music that is actually good. I was stoked on this album and after reading the negative comments, I felt compelled to give my two cents for anyone who is interested in the album.
12.12.2011 - 03:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Rob_ on 12.12.2011 at 03:04
I felt the need to post because 90% of new material being released today is garbage (in my opinion), and I want to support new music that is actually good.

But this technically isn't new material. It's just re-recorded.
----
12.12.2011 - 05:16
Rob_
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.12.2011 at 03:54

Written by Rob_ on 12.12.2011 at 03:04
I felt the need to post because 90% of new material being released today is garbage (in my opinion), and I want to support new music that is actually good.

But this technically isn't new material. It's just re-recorded.

Technically it isn't. However, Gorgoroth's ability to re-record a 15 year old album and have it come out as well as it did is admirable. It proves they've stayed true to their sound, and have even improved upon it. Infernus has mentioned wanting to re-record this album in the past, and now I can see why. For anyone claming that this re-recording is just a creativity cop out, their previous album is testament to their writing capabilities.
19.12.2011 - 14:26
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
I see I'm not the only one who thinks this album didn't need to be re-recorded. The production is too clean and sterile and I suspect anyone who prefers this sound might have a similarly boring and flat personality. Everything has been compressed so much that any charm and life has been squeezed out of the songs. Profetens Apenbaring sounds amazingly bad.

On the original there was so much that was technically "wrong", for the example, the horrendous feedback on Krig and the bass drum sounding like a hollow cardboard box... but it worked. The sound captured the individual performances and they really did feel like performances, rather than just going through the motions. It felt like art should do: people expressing themselves, raw and untamed, in the moment. The original recording will always be one of my favourite albums but this is worthless. Utterly worthless.
19.12.2011 - 21:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.12.2011 at 14:26
The production is too clean and sterile...

With the way black metal is moving towards more "accessible" territory, I'm not surprised by this. Apparently people don't appreciate the old school sound when black metal was raw and - as you said - expressive. Now it's all about this "proper" sound.
----
20.12.2011 - 00:26
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Guest on 30.11.2011 at 18:46

You fucking stupid, retarded, ridiculous, fake blacksters. First followers of the trve raw grim cvlt norwegian transilvanian appalachian wood trend, now just a flock of mangy sheeps who play plastic satanic Guitar Pro metal. I hope you'll be brutally deflowered and anal fisted by some hot horny polydactyl black guys in a locked room and then just die while listening to this pile of horse manure.

just
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
20.12.2011 - 01:18
RavenKing
Why, oh why, do bands have to re-record or re-mix raw albums?
Modern production always ruins them.
If people can't appreciate those albums with the original sound, they just need to stay away from them.
People who have ears too delicate to enjoy raw metal music don't deserve to listen to it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.12.2011 - 02:03
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.12.2011 at 21:07

Now it's all about this "proper" sound.

O rly?

That said, I'd like to state again how much this re-recording sucks.
25.12.2011 - 19:06
Grody2themax
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.12.2011 at 21:07

Apparently people don't appreciate the old school sound when black metal was raw and - as you said - expressive. Now it's all about this "proper" sound.

Totally disagree. Its a huge black metal cliche to prefer unprofessional recordings and spend lots of time hating on clean, professional (plastic, lol) recordings. Tons of people appreciate the old school black metal sound. I do agree though that the old recording sounded better even if it had shittier production (objectively speaking).
25.12.2011 - 19:48
RavenKing
Written by Grody2themax on 25.12.2011 at 19:06

Totally disagree. Its a huge black metal cliche to prefer unprofessional recordings and spend lots of time hating on clean, professional (plastic, lol) recordings. Tons of people appreciate the old school black metal sound. I do agree though that the old recording sounded better even if it had shittier production (objectively speaking).

I think it's a matter of tastes. Personally, as an old metalhead, I like when metal sounds a bit shitty. To me, it adds to atmosphere, aggressivity and power. I think raw recordings sound more 'genuine' and expressive, if you know what I mean.
In my mind, 'poor' recordings is an integral part of metal music (at least when it comes to more extreme stuff).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.12.2011 - 06:50
Grody2themax
Written by RavenKing on 25.12.2011 at 19:48

I think it's a matter of tastes. Personally, as an old metalhead, I like when metal sounds a bit shitty. To me, it adds to atmosphere, aggressivity and power. I think raw recordings sound more 'genuine' and expressive, if you know what I mean.
In my mind, 'poor' recordings is an integral part of metal music (at least when it comes to more extreme stuff).

Some of my favorite albums to listen to are actually pretty shitty coming from a completely objective standpoint. Like a band's demos or or first few albums they had where it sounds so pure, and the sound isn't covered up by a producer who can make a shitty album sound good. I completely agree with what you said though.

My point was more that not everything has to have that raw metal feel for it to be enjoyable and that there are actually a ton of people who love that sound. Go on any classic extreme metal video on youtube, and there will probably be a few people bitching about how metal doesn't sound the same anymore.
26.12.2011 - 12:29
Sworn
It's a shame that they decided to re-record this great album. Gorgoroth from the last album was good but it's plastic production ruined the whole album, and the same is going to happen to under the sign of hell.
10.02.2012 - 00:17
Slyfang
Gaahl and King were the worst thing to happen to Gorgoroth.

After Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam (best black metal album of the last ten years, imo), I'd say getting rid of Gaahl and King was the worst thing to happen to Gorgoroth.
11.04.2012 - 05:06
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Gorgoroth is the biggest joke of a black metal band.
25.04.2012 - 22:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Alex F on 11.04.2012 at 05:06

Gorgoroth is the biggest joke of a black metal band.

Somber Eyes...?

Just kidding.

I remember in grade school we used to show Live Gorgoroth shows to the teachers.

Soe almost cried
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 17531 | This month: 45