Metal Storm logo
Buckethead - Enter The Chicken review

Reviewer:

34 users:
Band: Buckethead
Album: Enter The Chicken
Style: Experimental rock, Alternative metal, Avantgarde metal, Hard rock, Heavy metal, Electro industrial metal, Speed metal
Release date: October 2005

01. Intro
02. We Are One
03. Botnus
04. Three Fingers
05. Running From The Light
06. Coma
07. Waiting Hare
08. Interlude
09. Funbus
10. The Hand
11. Nottingham Lace
12. Shen Chi [2008 reissue bonus]

Never judge a book by its cover. Buckethead might look silly in that KFC bucket of his; however, underneath the mask there is perhaps the most interesting guitar virtuoso the rock world has ever seen, constantly delivering quality left-field, abstract or plain crazy releases. Enter The Chicken is so far the latest addition to the Buckethead menu and it is easily one of the best albums of 2005.

Enter The Chicken is a healthy dose of silliness to the perpetually depressed and dark metal world. Why does being experimental always have to equal being gravely serious? Instead, Buckethead and his troupe of guest vocalists make music that is adventurous and fun. It is this sense of adventure, as well as Buckethead's ingenious guitar solos, that gel the otherwise radically different tracks on this album. In fact, every single track here is wonderful in its own unique way. The band is capable of tackling every possible style, whether it is the technical thrash metal of "Botnus", the New Age ethno-pop of "Coma", the vicious death metal of "Funbus", the delicate indie-rock of "Running From The Light" or the funk-metal-meets-opera of "Hand". One can never be sure what weird antic is right around the corner. Hell, they even stick a Captain Beefheart sample in there!

Enter The Chicken is an example of healthy experimentation that is both musically challenging and quite accessible. Although I prefer Buckethead's pure electronica records, this album still deserves my honest recommendation. If you're looking for an unconventional take on metal, this is as good as it gets!

Written on 23.04.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 155 users
12.10.2006 - 07:31
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Buckethead's Colma and Electric Tears are amazing. I'm a huge fan of his ambient stuff and look forward to hearing some of his faster and heavier exploits.
04.05.2007 - 01:33
propaganda666
Account deleted
i just bought Electric Tears and Giant Robot and both are simply amazing. i am a hugh Buckethead fan.
19.10.2007 - 22:09
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
This album is occasionally genius. The rest of the time, it does nothing for me. Also a bit unbalanced, but it's understandable, considering the ammount of experimentalism and different genres it tries to cover.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
22.11.2008 - 16:02
Frankenchrist

I like chicken.
----
Blat Blat
24.04.2009 - 22:38
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
As usual, buckethead delivers us a bucket of err his bucketheadness. My favourite tracks where Coma and Three Fingers. Running from the light was kind of strange that it seemed like something for some pop radio but I guess it just showcases his variety.
18.06.2011 - 21:56
Mattybu

I like this album, but Buckethead has better. I'd put Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot, Colma, Giant Robot, Acoustic Shards, Kaleidoscalp, and a few others over it.

Favourite track is Botnus.
05.09.2011 - 07:35
tuerda

Buckethead is consistently awesome, creative, experimental and full of style. I believe he among the best active musical acts in the world, but most of what he does really has no business being on metal storm. Try colma, population override, decoding the tomb of the bansheebot, or the dragons of eden (my own personal selection: each one is very much unlike the others) to get an idea of just how incredible he can be.
18.11.2014 - 17:11
Rating: 8
Tomas Piller

Wow, not bad at all. His voice reminds Serj Tankians a LOT.
18.11.2014 - 17:17
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Tomas Piller on 18.11.2014 at 17:11

Possibly because it is the actual Serj Tankian singing on this album? Buckethead just plays the guitar, no vocals
19.11.2014 - 13:04
Rating: 8
Tomas Piller

Written by jupitreas on 18.11.2014 at 17:17

Written by Tomas Piller on 18.11.2014 at 17:11

Possibly because it is the actual Serj Tankian singing on this album? Buckethead just plays the guitar, no vocals

Lol at me alright then, the similarity should strike me harder to do my research first.

Hits total: 7049 | This month: 10