Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir - Nottingham, England, 24th November 2011

Event: An Evening With... Dimmu Borgir
Written by: Baz Anderson
Published: 25.11.2011

Galleries:

Dimmu Borgir - Nottingham, England, 24th November 2011 by Baz Anderson (22)

For a band that have somehow already been around for almost two decades, credit is due when it comes to thinking of original ways of delivering their show to the fans. Touring the UK without any support acts, Dimmu Borgir are performing two sets per night in smaller venues to offer a more intimate and special show for the fans.

Out of the three albums available for the fans to vote on, Enthroned Darkness Triumphant won. Therefore roughly an hour after the doors opening, Dimmu Borgir took straight to the stage with "The Mourning Palace" to kick off their first set of the night, the complete third album. The small venue was packed but the audience were somewhat static, perhaps choosing to sit back and enjoy this one-off spectacle. The band have been criticised for wandering too far from their black metal roots, but this first set was an absolute pleasure to behold as the stars on stage harked all the way back to an unquestionably black metal 1997.

The band have picked up countless fans since this album's original release, but for those content only with the recent releases, Enthroned Darkness Triumphant in its entirety was almost a lesson and presentation of the band's development and great history. The first three tracks might see the light of day in the band's normal setlist every so often, which meant that the more extreme and more obscure gems such as "Relinquishment Of Spirit And Flesh" and "Tormentor Of Christian Souls" seemed all the more raw and pretty special to be hearing. Even "Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde" originally from the band's debut sounded hauntingly magical. Audience might not have been warmed up, but this classic Dimmu Borgir album absolutely came alive for tonight.

Setlist 1: The Mourning Palace / Spellbound (By The Devil) / In Death's Embrace / Relinquishment Of Spirit And Flesh / The Night Masquerade / Tormentor Of Christian Souls / Entrance / Master Of Disharmony / Prudence's Fall / A Succubus In Rapture / Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde

It must be quite physically exhausting performing two sets per night, which is probably the reason for the band's slight lack of energy for the second set. This set was the one to see the band performing new songs as Dimmu Borgir are today. It soon became apparent that the band have not been able to fill the gaping hole they created when giving ICS Vortex his marching orders. His clean vocals especially were perhaps to some, one of the greater attractions towards the band. Shagrath took control of his ex-bandmate's vocal parts and either mumbled or growled his way through them, giving them no justice at all.

The second set of the night lasted about three quarters of an hour, ending the show at the soberingly early time of just before ten. The band and audience had gained in momentum and it felt a shame to leave it there. The band had delivered two decently sized sets, but without any support the night came to a close as the audience were revved up and ready to enjoy themselves. The concept of "an evening with Dimmu Borgir" worked in that the audience got to appreciate the whole of Enthroned Darkness Triumphant and the band in general in these intimate settings, but at the cost of an extremely tiring tour for the band and a slightly static performance.

Credit must be given to the band for going out and delivering these almost personal performances for the enjoyment of the fans. The first set was absolutely killer, while the second didn't quite reach the same heights. Shows like this don't come around very often though, gifting the people present at these small shows some wonderful memories for years to come.

Setlist 2: Vredesbyrd / Kings Of The Carnival Creation / Dimmu Borgir / Ritualist / Gateways / Puritania / The Serpentine Offering / Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse

An interview with Shagrath conducted before the show can be found here.

Thanks to Jaap for the accreditation.
Written by Barry Anderson.
Photos by Barry Anderson.

Written on 25.11.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 155 users
25.11.2011 - 07:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Sounds like it'd be a bit much to sit through back-to-back sets like that, especially after they play a classic black metal release and jump into their contemporary symphonic stuff.

I'd hate to hear Shagrath cover for ICS Vortex, especially if he only grumbles his way through the songs. Seems like the kind of show I'd really enjoy for the first half, but I'd try to high-tail it out of there once the first set is finished.

Nice write-up by the way. I don't get out much and as a result I don't attend any of these shows but this was nice to read about. Helped me feel a little more in touch with the audience.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.11.2011 - 09:45
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Nice review. I was under the impression that they did not play their older stuff anymore so it was good to read about their first set, Raabjørn is a mighty tune and EDT is probably their last fantastic album, at least in my opinion. Thumbs up for fan voting
----
25.11.2011 - 09:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Øyvind on 25.11.2011 at 09:45
Thumbs up for fan voting

Indeed. Bands should do this more often... I know they probably get tired of playing their older material, especially for bands that have a slew of shit albums after a masterpiece and they don't want to return to that sound just to please a crowd, but when you've been around long enough and have built a successful name in the scene I think you owe it to the fans to give them what they want.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.11.2011 - 10:06
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.11.2011 at 09:48

Written by Øyvind on 25.11.2011 at 09:45
Thumbs up for fan voting

Indeed. Bands should do this more often... I know they probably get tired of playing their older material, especially for bands that have a slew of shit albums after a masterpiece and they don't want to return to that sound just to please a crowd, but when you've been around long enough and have built a successful name in the scene I think you owe it to the fans to give them what they want.

I remember when Levi Troite of Mortiis almost pleaded that we (my friends and I) stop singing a song from "The Smell Of Rain" at an afterparty, although it is fact that he joined the band after that album was released. About pleasing the crowd, well, that's why they're here for, right? Live shows are meant to be a chance to make a...a show, a spectacle of some sort. It may be difficult to admit that new albums are below par or way too different from early works, but for instance I'm a Dimmu fan simply for their older works. I want to get what I want for my money or I'm not buying the ticket
----
25.11.2011 - 17:52
Baz Anderson

Written by Guest on 25.11.2011 at 17:35

"...been around for almost two centuries..." decades?

It was a pleasure to watch the video interview and read through this concert review.

Hahahaha, woops. Thanks.
26.11.2011 - 09:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.11.2011 at 07:45

I'd hate to hear Shagrath cover for ICS Vortex, especially if he only grumbles his way through the songs.

Maybe they'll get Marco Heitala to join them as bassist. He's sung for nearly everyone else.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.11.2011 - 15:58
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Wow seemed like quite a refreshing show, esp by dimmu borgir... nice
28.11.2011 - 19:02
Windrider
Raureif
"Even "Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde" originally from the band's debut sounded hauntingly magical."

Even?? Well its the most magical song theyve created ever and also one of the most haunting, together with Stormblast songs surely their best!!
30.11.2011 - 02:23
moe5512

Written by M C Vice on 26.11.2011 at 09:03

Maybe they'll get Marco Heitala to join them as bassist. He's sung for nearly everyone else.

Highly unlikable but dude, how awesome it'd be

Hits total: 7010 | This month: 9