04. Antarctica The Polymorphess [feat. Herbrand Larsen]
05. Fathoms Deep Below [feat. Peter "LJ" Eifflaender]
06. The Giant [feat. Herbrand Larsen]
07. Time's Like Molten Lead [limited digipack & vinyl bonus]
08. Evening Star [vinyl bonus]

The best Extreme Doom Metal album of 2012

Additional info
Produced by Ahab & Jens Siefert.
Recorded at Überwälder Klangdressur, Grasellenbach during January and February 2012.

Recorded, mixed and mastered by Jens Siefert at Überwälder Klangdressur.
Artwork by Sebastian Jerke.

Found in 26 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 77   Visited by: 734 users
22.05.2012 - 16:09
Rating: 8
Chobo_jokeR

It needs a few more listens, but overall...I enjoyed it. It's not nearly as good as their previous two, but this album is still good (in its own right). Hopefully I get a chance to hear the two bonus tracks...maybe there is something special hidden in them.
23.05.2012 - 22:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yep. Now that they stepped away from funeral doom, as you said, I'm really enjoying this album.
I plan on fully digesting this one and re-checking their previous efforts though.
25.05.2012 - 03:17
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I still don't know what to make of this album. After one listen, I'm not a big fan of the new style. In fact, I just flat-out think it's boring.

While the music still crawls along at a snail's pace, that is pretty much the only funeral doom element left.* Aside from that, it's all post-metal from here. This could have worked if they retained their typical crushing production, but this time around the music sounds so thin I can't help but feel as if something was lost in the recording process. Like maybe something was misinterpreted or misunderstood.

The pseudo-melodies create a decent atmosphere, which has some depressive undertones (I guess that's a doom element as well), but on the whole each song takes way too long to establish itself, slowly plodding along with banal intros before ending with pretty much the same level of meandering. There just isn't enough happening to entice me.

I suppose some of the acoustic work is nice and the clean vocals don't completely ruin the experience for me, but when the vocal lines dominate the mix and take away from the atmosphere I immediately realize just how awkward this all sounds. Perhaps if the vocals were buried more during the clean passages I wouldn't feel as if they were so out of place.

* That's kind of exaggerated. Most of the album seems to be divided within each track, separating purely death doom moments from their post-metal counterparts, sort of like how a lot of melodic metalcore bands employ good cop/bad cop vocals without overlapping. It annoys me quit a bit actually, as I'm unable to fully appreciate either style for what it is.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.05.2012 - 03:53
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.05.2012 at 03:17

I still don't know what to make of this album. After one listen, I'm not a big fan of the new style. In fact, I just flat-out think it's boring.

While the music still crawls along at a snail's pace, that is pretty much the only funeral doom element left.* Aside from that, it's all post-metal from here. This could have worked if they retained their typical crushing production, but this time around the music sounds so thin I can't help but feel as if something was lost in the recording process. Like maybe something was misinterpreted or misunderstood.

The pseudo-melodies create a decent atmosphere, which has some depressive undertones (I guess that's a doom element as well), but on the whole each song takes way too long to establish itself, slowly plodding along with banal intros before ending with pretty much the same level of meandering. There just isn't enough happening to entice me.

I suppose some of the acoustic work is nice and the clean vocals don't completely ruin the experience for me, but when the vocal lines dominate the mix and take away from the atmosphere I immediately realize just how awkward this all sounds. Perhaps if the vocals were buried more during the clean passages I wouldn't feel as if they were so out of place.

* That's kind of exaggerated. Most of the album seems to be divided within each track, separating purely death doom moments from their post-metal counterparts, sort of like how a lot of melodic metalcore bands employ good cop/bad cop vocals without overlapping. It annoys me quit a bit actually, as I'm unable to fully appreciate either style for what it is.

I find the album never establishes a consistent flow, unlike their other two albums. I can listen to those two from top to bottom and feel like it's one massive awesome song. This album feels broken apart and never really grabs me and holds me for its entire duration. I'm likely going to rate this an 8, because to put it on the same level as the other two would just be ridiculous. I do enjoy the album, but it's just not what I wanted. When I heard Further South, Antarctica and The Giant before the rest of the songs were released, I felt like this was going to be just as good. However, Aeons, Deliverance and Fathoms just didn't complete the package, and something was left missing.

Droste's vocals are great, I thoroughly enjoy them, and the music too. I just can't really put a finger on what is missing. The lack of flow might be it, and maybe the meandering as you mentioned.

Meh...could have been better, but could have been a whole lot worse.
25.05.2012 - 04:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 25.05.2012 at 03:53
I find the album never establishes a consistent flow, unlike their other two albums. I can listen to those two from top to bottom and feel like it's one massive awesome song. This album feels broken apart and never really grabs me and holds me for its entire duration. I'm likely going to rate this an 8, because to put it on the same level as the other two would just be ridiculous. I do enjoy the album, but it's just not what I wanted. When I heard Further South, Antarctica and The Giant before the rest of the songs were released, I felt like this was going to be just as good. However, Aeons, Deliverance and Fathoms just didn't complete the package, and something was left missing. Droste's vocals are great, I thoroughly enjoy them, and the music too. I just can't really put a finger on what is missing. The lack of flow might be it, and maybe the meandering as you mentioned. Meh...could have been better, but could have been a whole lot worse.

I think the lack of flow here is overwhelming, as if they were unable to string any elements together so instead they took what they had and forced it all together. That disjointed mish-mashing really takes away from the album's overall flow as you said, and that completely turns me off since it's such a chore to work through every minute. There are moments that really attract me, but then they go on their rollercoaster ride and I don't know what to think anymore, and I completely forget about the attractive moments from just a few minutes ago. It's really annoying.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.05.2012 - 04:29
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.05.2012 at 04:21

I think the lack of flow here is overwhelming, as if they were unable to string any elements together so instead they took what they had and forced it all together. That disjointed mish-mashing really takes away from the album's overall flow as you said, and that completely turns me off since it's such a chore to work through every minute. There are moments that really attract me, but then they go on their rollercoaster ride and I don't know what to think anymore, and I completely forget about the attractive moments from just a few minutes ago. It's really annoying.

I'd say this comment here describes pretty accurately how I feel, on the whole, towards this album. Moments of greatness...overshadowed by moments of essentially nothingness.
25.05.2012 - 15:03
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.05.2012 at 03:17

This.
Even the best song on the album Further South is divided into two separate sections the Post-Rock intro and the remaining Death Doom part.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
26.05.2012 - 01:05
Mr. Blonde

From what I've heard so far I like it. Though like others have said it is isn't quite what I had expected. I was hoping for more of that crushing Tsunami style that they can bring. But I don't mind "post-metal" either. I love their earlier works and hope that they return more to that style soon. However if they never deviated from it to experiment than that too could get boring. I think if anything they were probably afraid of putting out something that fans might call the same material with different song and album names. So they threw a bit of a curve ball here.

I haven't heard the whole album yet so I shall refrain from rating it. But I really enjoyed Further South especially and so far The Giant seems to be among the stronger releases of 2012 even if it's something of a letdown compared to Wretched Sea and Divinity.
31.05.2012 - 14:38
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 22.05.2012 at 14:48

...it's a mixture of doom and post, not a post-metal album. People will inevitably be disappointed with this though

You're right about that. At least for me the mixing of post with the doom tends to detract from the latter because I really like, and am constantly waiting for while listening, the sound they had on their debut. Its obviously well played post-metal, I don't think there is any denying that, but for me it kind of feels.. unwanted at times in light of that awesome pure doom they had going earlier on.
Still, I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would.
03.06.2012 - 10:36
The Melting Snow

Http://youtu.be/CRcc6RA1gBg

full album here
03.06.2012 - 14:59
Oaken
Hipster
Written by @gent_-_orange on 03.03.2012 at 01:36

I really wish Ahab would return to the murky production of their debut.

I totally agree. The murky production and the strong reverb were very atmospheric and effective in the music (Listen to the melodies in "Below The Sun"). Plus it makes their music more monstrous, and that suits the aesthetic a lot.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
05.06.2012 - 14:31
Rating: 4
My2Cents

Why be a mediocre post-metal doom band when they could be a groundbreaking, brilliant funeral doom band? I'm guessing the label execs/producer(s) felt funeral doom was too niche a market to ever maximize profits so they goaded the band into a forced radical change of direction.

This album sounds like doom for people who hate doom. RIP Ahab.
----
*insert quote that makes me look cultured here*
05.06.2012 - 22:27
Chobo_jokeR

Written by My2Cents on 05.06.2012 at 14:31

Why be a mediocre post-metal doom band when they could be a groundbreaking, brilliant funeral doom band? I'm guessing the label execs/producer(s) felt funeral doom was too niche a market to ever maximize profits so they goaded the band into a forced radical change of direction.

This album sounds like doom for people who hate doom. RIP Ahab.

This is hardly the kind of album to be saying "RIP Ahab" over. No it's not their best. No it's not brilliant funeral doom. But it is also not a terrible album. Expectations were massive, so of course if it isn't EXACTLY how we want it, it will be a disappointment. They really couldn't win, unless they topped both of their previous efforts, which would have been extremely difficult.
06.06.2012 - 17:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 05.06.2012 at 22:27
They really couldn't win, unless they topped both of their previous efforts, which would have been extremely difficult.

Seems to me like their reputation scared them into releasing something safe.
----
14.06.2012 - 16:06
Draugen

I agree with a lot that has already been said about this album. It is certainly not as good as the first two, but it is not a bad album in any way. There are some great moments to be found with (mostly) strong vocals, both clean and harsh, nice melodies and a couple of excellent stand-out tracks.

The main drawback of The Giant for me is its inconsistency. Some of the songs are really dull in comparison with others, simply because there is nothing really interesting going on for the most part. Especially the second one which is just plain awful. When it comes to the post influences I can definitely appreciate them at times but I wish that the focus had been elsewhere with more cohesiveness to begin with.
14.06.2012 - 16:41
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Antarctica is one of the best songs of the year, the album is worth for that track alone.
15.06.2012 - 17:43
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Finally got it, and i have to say i'm disappointed. It's extremely bland.
17.06.2012 - 14:27
Rating: 10
Dark Doom

Fucking good and atmospheric album, really like it \m/
17.06.2012 - 15:36
Rating: 9
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Yes, this album sounds different from the first two but I think it's still great in its own way - I enjoyed atmospheric parts with clean vocals (especially the songs that feature Herbrand Larsen).
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
19.06.2012 - 20:59
Written by NocturnalStalker on 17.06.2012 at 15:36

Yes, this album sounds different from the first two but I think it's still great in its own way - I enjoyed atmospheric parts with clean vocals (especially the songs that feature Herbrand Larsen).

My thoughts exactly. Even if not all the songs stand out as much, they really nailed the atmosphere on this one. And like one of the other previous posts, the fourth track is worth the album alone. I have been enjoying it more each listen. It is definitely great in its own way
26.06.2012 - 19:54
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Frankthetank727 on 19.06.2012 at 20:59

My thoughts exactly. Even if not all the songs stand out as much, they really nailed the atmosphere on this one. And like one of the other previous posts, the fourth track is worth the album alone. I have been enjoying it more each listen. It is definitely great in its own way

Emmm...I can empathize on that point. But so far it feels so-so. Esoteric released a monster of a funeral doom metal release.
28.06.2012 - 21:12
Written by Candlemass on 26.06.2012 at 19:54

Written by Frankthetank727 on 19.06.2012 at 20:59

Emmm...I can empathize on that point. But so far it feels so-so. Esoteric released a monster of a funeral doom metal release.

I think that "Paragon of Dissonance" was not only my favorite album of 2011 but also Esoteric's best release. I feel like they really found themselves on that record and its extremely varied and crushing. I wish they would tour the states sometime...
12.07.2012 - 17:18
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Frankthetank727 on 28.06.2012 at 21:12

I think that "Paragon of Dissonance" was not only my favorite album of 2011 but also Esoteric's best release. I feel like they really found themselves on that record and its extremely varied and crushing. I wish they would tour the states sometime...

They've made a few comments on their Facebook page about this topic. From the sounds of it, they are trying to book a festival date in the US. Hoping for them to show some love to Canada too.
23.07.2012 - 19:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I have mixed feelings about this album so far, but I have only listened to it twice. It has beautiful instrumental parts but then it kinda gets boring for me sometimes. I think it needs more time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.08.2012 - 17:32
Rating: 9
Rawand

I think this new album is more better than others
21.09.2012 - 00:03
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Going back to this I actually really enjoyed it. Deliverance is amazing
16.12.2012 - 17:49
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi

Excellent musicianship, production is top-notch (esp. the drums), but oh so dull.
23.12.2012 - 20:16
Rating: 6
Opethian

Written by Alex F on 21.09.2012 at 00:03

Going back to this I actually really enjoyed it. Deliverance is amazing

06.09.2014 - 07:06
Lionthrone

I really like the melodies in Time's Like Molten Lead. That's the only memorable song for me on this album. Overall a disappointment, but I have a feeling there's more great stuff coming from Ahab.
06.09.2014 - 07:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Lionthrone on 06.09.2014 at 07:06
I really like the melodies in Time's Like Molten Lead. That's the only memorable song for me on this album. Overall a disappointment, but I have a feeling there's more great stuff coming from Ahab.

Assuming this is a transition album and they plan on writing more music like this in the future, I think it's safe to assume they'll only improve. Although that is far from a guarantee.
----

Hits total: 19602 | This month: 12