09. Follow The Sign
10. Victim Of Fate [Michael Kiske version] [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
11. Starlight [Michael Kiske version] [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
12. A Little Time [Edit version] [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
13. Halloween [Video Edit] [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1987: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 44

Additional info
Produced by Tommy Newton. Co-produced by Tommy Hansen.
Engineered by Tommy Hansen and Tommy Newton.
Mixed by Tommy Hansen for Sick My Duck Productions.
Recorded and mixed at Horus Sound Studio, Hannover, November 1986 - January 1987.

Guest review by
Destiny
Rating:
Keeper Pt.1" was the first HELLOWEEN-album with Michael Kiske on the vocal helm. The first two earlier releases the self-titled EP in 1985 and "Walls of Jericho" in 1986 were a style resulted form a combination between Metallica and Iron Maiden but it's on this album that their songwriting appears to be progressed and matured, and they take an important step in their musical career and with this album they bring a new genre to the metal scene: POWER METAL.

Read more ››
published 10.01.2005 | Comments (22)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 1421 users
25.11.2011 - 19:46
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Great album...but not quite as good as it's reputation...and it's really short!
26.11.2011 - 14:58
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
IIRC both Keeper albums were planned to be released as one, but the record label insisted the band splits it in two.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
01.03.2012 - 21:59
Korah

Very good album. The song Halloween is a masterpiece of the progressive!
----
Don't cry for my English
22.04.2012 - 08:31
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Ahhh, very nice release. A sort of big difference from the previous Helloween record.
I love the promo song! ("Halloween")
07.09.2012 - 09:57
Rating: 10
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well this album is one of my all time favorite metal release. Its great from A to Z. Its delicious
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.09.2012 - 17:38
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Classic, I would even dare say, genre-defining album (as the style band explored on this album were used in the future by countless clones other bands). It will always be among my power metal favourites of all time.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
17.09.2012 - 23:10
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by NocturnalStalker on 16.09.2012 at 17:38

I would even dare say, genre-defining album

Not much of a dare! This album is regarded as the birth of euro power by almost every metal fan!
...but yeah... its sick fer realz yolo
18.09.2012 - 01:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by JÄY on 17.09.2012 at 23:10

Written by NocturnalStalker on 16.09.2012 at 17:38

I would even dare say, genre-defining album

Not much of a dare! This album is regarded as the birth of euro power by almost every metal fan!
...but yeah... its sick fer realz yolo

yep, even by an old fart like me
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2012 - 02:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I actually regard Walls Of Jericho as the birthplace of Euro power metal (and indeed, the preceding EP), though the style adopted on the Keepers was more widely copied and emulated, and therefore, more influential. As for my thoughts on this album, my only gripe with it, is that it's so short. Especially in comparison with the 2nd Keeper album, which gives it a very uneven feel. I am aware that this discrepancy between the two albums is very likely due to the fact the band wanted the Keepers to be a double album, but the record company refused to allow this. Had the band got their way, I think each (and cassettes at that time! ) disc would have contained the same, or a similar amount of tracks.

Despite the shortness of the album, I can't find any fault with the songs themselves. And "Halloween" might just be the greatest track Helloween have ever recorded. The way the eerie and dark intro (clearly inspired by the original Halloween movie theme!) careens into that ferocious riff is surely one of the greatest metal moments, as is the timeless harmony solo that comes in just before the song's finale.
18.09.2012 - 07:31
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2012 at 02:14

I actually regard Walls Of Jericho as the birthplace of Euro power metal (and indeed, the preceding EP), though the style adopted on the Keepers was more widely copied and emulated, and therefore, more influential.

Their early stuff has much more of a US power style than what they did later on, from Keepers onward. Keepers deviated from that sound I think and it's there that you get a unique sound which, as you say, was emulated within the Euro style.
18.09.2012 - 08:46
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by R'Vannith on 18.09.2012 at 07:31

Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2012 at 02:14

I actually regard Walls Of Jericho as the birthplace of Euro power metal (and indeed, the preceding EP), though the style adopted on the Keepers was more widely copied and emulated, and therefore, more influential.

Their early stuff has much more of a US power style than what they did later on, from Keepers onward. Keepers deviated from that sound I think and it's there that you get a unique sound which, as you say, was emulated within the Euro style.

Agree. Jericho and first EP sounds like a variation of metal that already existed, to me. Keeper is euro-power birth.
18.09.2012 - 10:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by R'Vannith on 18.09.2012 at 07:31

Nope, the genre of the early Helloween material is clearly not US power metal. I've yet to hear a US power metal album (especially pre-WOJ era Helloween) that sounds like Helloween's first EP and album. The early Helloween stuff was an amalgam of styles that had already been done before, but it was presented in a way that hadn't been done before. It was a unique sound.
18.09.2012 - 12:22
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2012 at 10:44

Nope, the genre of the early Helloween material is clearly not US power metal. I've yet to hear a US power metal album (especially pre-WOJ era Helloween) that sounds like Helloween's first EP and album. The early Helloween stuff was an amalgam of styles that had already been done before, but it was presented in a way that hadn't been done before. It was a unique sound.

At that stage (when WOJ was released) there obviously wasn't any distinction between US and Euro as the latter didn't exist yet, so I suppose it is incorrect to say that they WERE US power metal. What I meant was stylistically that pre-Keeper material sounds more along the lines of what power metal evolved from which was that pretty ambiguous "Speed metal" sub-genre.

I also didn't mean to suggest that their early material wasn't unique in any way, just that I can associate it with it's speed metal roots, which is something that US power metal seemed to stick closer with as it became it's own category.

So I find it confusing that you can't hear anything about WOJ, for example, which sounds similar to the style which the US branch took to. You have it right in saying that it's an amalgam of styles, that makes sense to me as it was all very ambiguous at that point with different influences coming into play (thrash, NWOBHM). With this sort of thing it's not easy to pinpoint where sub genres originate, your opinion is most likely as valid as mine. Certainly without the pre-Keeper stuff we wouldn't have had the sound which shifted to that used on the Keeper albums themselves, therefore no Euro power metal.
18.09.2012 - 23:13
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2012 at 10:44

Nope, the genre of the early Helloween material is clearly not US power metal.

cool opinion
19.09.2012 - 01:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by R'Vannith on 18.09.2012 at 12:22
At that stage (when WOJ was released) there obviously wasn't any distinction between US and Euro as the latter didn't exist yet, so I suppose it is incorrect to say that they WERE US power metal. What I meant was stylistically that pre-Keeper material sounds more along the lines of what power metal evolved from which was that pretty ambiguous "Speed metal" sub-genre.

I also didn't mean to suggest that their early material wasn't unique in any way, just that I can associate it with it's speed metal roots, which is something that US power metal seemed to stick closer with as it became it's own category.

I know that, and when I said "US power metal" I was reffering to the evolving style that would eventually become known as "US power metal". I know it wasn't reffered to as that at the time in the early 80's. I also never tried to disassociate the early Helloween from their speed metal roots with what I said.

Written by R'Vannith on 18.09.2012 at 12:22
So I find it confusing that you can't hear anything about WOJ, for example, which sounds similar to the style which the US branch took to. You have it right in saying that it's an amalgam of styles, that makes sense to me as it was all very ambiguous at that point with different influences coming into play (thrash, NWOBHM). With this sort of thing it's not easy to pinpoint where sub genres originate, your opinion is most likely as valid as mine. Certainly without the pre-Keeper stuff we wouldn't have had the sound which shifted to that used on the Keeper albums themselves, therefore no Euro power metal.

I could understand you finding it confusing had I actually said I couldn't hear anything in WOJ that resembled the style that would be known eventually as US power metal. I stated that there was differences between early Helloween and that genre, I was not denying that there are any similarities between the two. WOJ (and the first EP) were an amalgam of styles, US power metal (though it wasn't known as that at the time) included. Although the differences between what Helloween were doing as compared to the Americans were quite subtle at that time, they nonetheless existed, and to my ears, very clearly so. You're right in your last point, and certainly, to me at least, the Keeper albums have a lot stylistically in common with Helloween's earliest works. Give those albums a rawer production, and have Kai Hansen singing instead of Michael Kiske, and the difference between WOJ and the Keepers wouldn't appear as striking as they do now. The Keepers were more like an extention of the EP/WOJ style, rather than a whole new genre in it's own right. But yep, your opinion has validity to it too. lol

Written by JÄY on 18.09.2012 at 23:13
cool opinion

Sheesh...
20.09.2012 - 11:32
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.09.2012 at 01:45

I could understand you finding it confusing had I actually said I couldn't hear anything in WOJ that resembled the style that would be known eventually as US power metal. I stated that there was differences between early Helloween and that genre, I was not denying that there are any similarities between the two. WOJ (and the first EP) were an amalgam of styles, US power metal (though it wasn't known as that at the time) included. Although the differences between what Helloween were doing as compared to the Americans were quite subtle at that time, they nonetheless existed, and to my ears, very clearly so. You're right in your last point, and certainly, to me at least, the Keeper albums have a lot stylistically in common with Helloween's earliest works. Give those albums a rawer production, and have Kai Hansen singing instead of Michael Kiske, and the difference between WOJ and the Keepers wouldn't appear as striking as they do now. The Keepers were more like an extention of the EP/WOJ style, rather than a whole new genre in it's own right. But yep, your opinion has validity to it too. lol

Ah ok, I misinterpreted what you meant there, with the similarities. That's true too, that the Keeper albums aren't exactly hugely different from their earlier stuff, though I would say there is enough of a difference to warrant people attaching the origins of Euro power to them. Rather than pinpoint which particular album that sub genre starts with it's probably safer to just say Helloween started the genre. However, their style eventually influenced many bands, so it's probably more logical to say that the origins of Euro power starts with their very first recording.
13.01.2013 - 01:35
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Seemed a tad underwhelming to me. Was 'Judas' a track that was originally supposed to be on the album? The album needed to be longer and it seems strange that they would put it right in between the original track listing in the reissue if it was not meant to be part of the original album, I'm assuming it was meant to be part of the original album.
03.02.2013 - 22:49
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 13.01.2013 at 01:35

Seemed a tad underwhelming to me. Was 'Judas' a track that was originally supposed to be on the album? The album needed to be longer and it seems strange that they would put it right in between the original track listing in the reissue if it was not meant to be part of the original album, I'm assuming it was meant to be part of the original album.

I don't think it was meant to man... I don't even have it on my copy, and its not like I bought it in the 80s ya know. LOL
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.02.2013 - 23:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guib on 03.02.2013 at 22:49

Written by Guest on 13.01.2013 at 01:35

I don't think it was meant to man... I don't even have it on my copy, and its not like I bought it in the 80s ya know. LOL

Judas isn't part of the original Keeper Part 1. Judas was just a single from 1986 and was only added much much later as a bonus track for the cd version of Keeper Pt. 1, orignally Keeper Part 1 wasn't even released as cd, just merely as a vinyl version.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2013 - 08:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I once owned the 12" vinyl of Judas....

I don't know what could make anyone think that Judas was meant to be part of Keeper Pt. 1, when Kai Hansen sings "Judas", not Michael Kiske! The album is so short though, it might have been a good idea for them to have re-recorded that song with Michael Kiske for the first Keeper album...
04.02.2013 - 19:20
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 04.02.2013 at 08:25

I once owned the 12" vinyl of Judas....

I don't know what could make anyone think that Judas was meant to be part of Keeper Pt. 1, when Kai Hansen sings "Judas", not Michael Kiske! The album is so short though, it might have been a good idea for them to have re-recorded that song with Michael Kiske for the first Keeper album...

Agreed. That's why I am so glad they re-recorded Starlight and Victim of Fate...which are a part of this album, in my version
10.03.2013 - 09:44
bkrownd

The year it was released this album was definitely in my top-20 rotation. I listened this thing to death around '88. It has a great epic sound, and lots of energy.
11.03.2013 - 20:08
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I finally got around to picking up the remastered edition last summer... and I had almost forgotten what a glorious album this really is.

The quality drops a bit in the middle - "Twilight of the Gods" is not quite as good as the other rockers, and "A Tale That Wasn't Right" is a decent but unspectacular ballad. The rest, however, is some of the best power metal ever recorded, and the album's shortness works in its favour - it's quick and to the point. Some great speedy rockers, a ballad and an excellent epic - all in 37 minutes.

Yes, "Halloween" is fantastic.
03.04.2013 - 19:18
Metropolis_Dream
Account deleted
This is the most perfect Helloween CD for me. Each song is the definition of power metal. But theres one problem though: Its too short.:)
20.11.2014 - 20:57
gnirpz

Some albums just just bring music to an other level. If you try to put you back in 87 and have a look of what music albums were done around those years, you can understand how that album is a masterpiece. Today IMO, it's still one of the album a ever heard. To be honnest, it's my 2nd of my top of all time. That being said, you know now which one is my prefered one.
18.10.2015 - 20:20
Joppe
Steelemeister
Revisiting this one of the first power metal albums I ever listened, well it's not as impressive as back in that day, but still a great album for sure. I always regarded this one as one of those rare power metal albums that has both melodies and balls, power metal albums usually tend to lack the latter. The best thing here IMO is the guitar leads and solos. Of course the vocals are great as well because it's Kiske. The songs #4 and #5 always seemed and still seem like kinda fillerish/weak on this album's standards. "Victim Of Fate" and "Starlight" of the expanded edition are indeed interesting additions, but I actually do prefer the vocals of the original versions.
----
My vision is augmented
16.11.2015 - 11:24
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Joppe on 18.10.2015 at 20:20

Revisiting this one of the first power metal albums I ever listened, well it's not as impressive as back in that day, but still a great album for sure. I always regarded this one as one of those rare power metal albums that has both melodies and balls, power metal albums usually tend to lack the latter. The best thing here IMO is the guitar leads and solos. Of course the vocals are great as well because it's Kiske. The songs #4 and #5 always seemed and still seem like kinda fillerish/weak on this album's standards. "Victim Of Fate" and "Starlight" of the expanded edition are indeed interesting additions, but I actually do prefer the vocals of the original versions.

Youre spot on as always Jope. When it came it felt much harder, but today you can hear how they have tried to tame Ingos drums. Very very good album, but its hard to ignore the fact that the turn to commerical music already had begun with this album. The furious drumming from WoJ is toned down for ballads.
But... If I ignore WoJ and the fall in to commercial deprivation, if Helloween only had made this album. Then it is almost a Masterpiece.

P.s Victim of Fate with Kiske must be the most cheese ive heard in a while. It sounds like hes born in the right part of the town.
21.08.2016 - 17:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
To much un necessary ballads what don't make any sense and to long guitar solos and long songs
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.06.2017 - 15:08
musicalkaratekid

I'll start this comment by noting my sole minor gripe with this album: It's a little too short. Yes, I say that knowing that the centrepiece and "sort of" anthem for the band's legacy is thirteen minutes long. Honestly, it feels like more of an EP. That said, it's certainly a brilliant EP, and was a great leap towards a more ambitious direction for Helloween. Whilst I prefer Part 2 by a margin, Part 1 of Keeper of the Seven Keys is full of adventurous, memorable songwriting and, as with Walls of Jericho, brilliant instrumental performances. "A Tale that wasn't Right" is an excellent ballad. "Halloween" is as epic as European power metal has been known to get without coming off as a parody of itself. "Future World" was destined from the get-go to be played in rock and metal clubs worldwide, knowing its core audience would lap it up. Every song (apart from the intro and outro, which are both useful in their own right) is a banger.
17.06.2021 - 16:53
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
This album has definitely grown on me, after several times listening, it contains some fantastic songs, especially the mighty epic song Helloween.
The problem I find with this album is it's too short, but I do understand it's part 1 of the Keeper of Keys albums, which was simply too long to have been one album, instead was split, it's always been a debate over whether part 1 or 2 is best, I've not heard 2 in full yet so can't compare the two.
And I have to say the extended version of Victim of Fate on this album is absolutely stunning!

Hits total: 32045 | This month: 98