Reviewer:

24 users:
Band: The Fallen Divine
Album: The Binding Cycle
Style: Extreme progressive metal
Release date: November 2011

01. Dissension
02. Shades Of Oppression
03. Fire Lights The Night (Self Ignition)
04. Patterns Through Eternity
05. Northern Lights
06. Replenished
07. The Tormented One
08. The Binding Cycle

2011 should be marked down as the year of the debuts. Holy hell has there been a landslide of excellent fresh ones put out this year; TOAD, Death Valley Driver, Enthring, Smohalla, Sacred Ally, and Spellbound Dazzle are some great examples. Oh, that list is exclusively stuff I've personally reviewed, there's been dozens upon dozens that have shown their face around Metal Storm over the past year, reviewed and highlighted by other staff & elites.

Well, looks like The Fallen Divine have strutted into the party just in time (nonchalantly elbowing a few of the previously mentioned bands out of the way on their way in.) What makes The Binding Cycle possibly one of the best debut albums of the year is how flexible and versatile it is, while being an incredibly smooth ride. They managed to write & record in this nifty crossroad where melodeath, prog, and black metal meet. So what are we talking about here? Black metal with prog influences? Melodeath with black metal influences? Neither, it's just a well balanced amalgamation. There's a few transitional finger-breaking prog moments tying a riff-based melodeath band to a soaring, epic black metal band. It's like a giant bald eagle with beefy arms clutching an M-60, who goes home and listens to Enslaved after a wholesome day of majestically destroying everything.

There's a few aspects that escape notice amongst all the other crazy shit happening that are worth mentioning; a few tastefully added keyboard bits throughout (although seldom very prevalent), and a couple of those "hold on bro, need to catch your breath? Here's a spacey mellow moment to chill out to" moments. Admittedly, they really don't execute the brief, mellow passages as seamlessly as their aggressive ones, coming off as a bit incongruous. Luckily, there's rarely a moment to focus on the set backs as things seem to constantly morph into a different sound.

Best of all, The Fallen Divine take no shortcuts to make their music as memorable as it is (in other words, they don't throw in embarrassing, gimmicky bullshit.) The Binding Cycle is a meticulously well put together album by a band that really knows what they're doing.

http://www.facebook.com/fallendivine

Written on 28.11.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 22   Visited by: 358 users
28.11.2011 - 05:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Sounds like a kind of extreme prog. I might check it out based on the review but I still won't get my panties wet quite yet.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.11.2011 - 05:59
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi

Judging from your review, just the kind of music I crave. Thanks for the review!
28.11.2011 - 06:26
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Just checked a song on YT and sounds pretty damn cool.
It's true that this band is a metal subgenre salad, and they can pull it off. I like that.

I'll check the album later, I have a lot on my queue as of now :/
28.11.2011 - 07:12
Grody2themax

I also just checked a song on youtube it sounds worthy enough that I want to spend 10-15 dollars on it instead of just downloading it. (I actually buy most of my albums btw in case anyone got the wrong idea from that statement)
28.11.2011 - 14:24
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I checked em out, but I don't know if I would give it a 9. They definitely have some great parts in their songs but I hear lots of room for improvement.
28.11.2011 - 15:23
Merchant of Doom

I'm surprised you liked it so much... 9.3! I just listened to some songs on YouTube and it's pretty boring, derivative stuff. Ok, derivative can be good, but this is not even good derivative...
28.11.2011 - 18:09
psykometal
A staff guy...
This sounds very intriguing. I will def need to check this out asap.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

28.11.2011 - 19:46
Rating: 8
truenoacero

It sounds good, but i don't think that they deserve it a 9.3. I think that 8 is more correct imo.
28.11.2011 - 19:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Just an fyi, it's not like the rating is meant to be reflective of our universal taste. It's a personal score. People should read more into the words in the review than the numbers beside it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.11.2011 - 20:22
Rating: 10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.11.2011 at 19:52

Just an fyi, it's not like the rating is meant to be reflective of our universal taste. It's a personal score. People should read more into the words in the review than the numbers beside it.

Hence why people like Jupitreas, Thryce, and a few others if I recall correctly stopped giving scores. I'm very much tempted to start doing this as well. I love when people comment on the actual article, not the score.

Though, with any rating topping a 9 there's going to be major disagreements. This album moved me quite a bit, people see the score and expect it to move them in the same way. Well, it won't, so I don't expect any less from a 9+ rating.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.11.2011 - 20:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'll have to give this a little more time because I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be judging it. At times it reminds me of Opeth (if they weren't so boring) with some cheesy melodeath moments and black metal shrieks.
----
28.11.2011 - 21:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Hmmm I'm interested, will check it out asap. Good review!
You are right... there has been a lot of debuts this year.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.11.2011 - 02:15
Mattybu

Hmmm... Sounds interesting and a 9.3 isn't bad at all! Will be checking this one.
29.11.2011 - 02:16
nanogasm

Written by Doc G. on 28.11.2011 at 20:22

Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.11.2011 at 19:52

Hence why people like Jupitreas, Thryce, and a few others if I recall correctly stopped giving scores. I'm very much tempted to start doing this as well. I love when people comment on the actual article, not the score.

Much agreed with this. Art is emotion. Science is numbers. Applying numbers to emotion never works. One man's food is another man's poison, and all that..

I particularly like it when reviewers include similar sounding bands or reference genres and influences. Reviews are, afterall, not a flying fook about what *he* or *she* cares about an album, but instead a written piece on whether it influences *me* to sample it out. And Doc's piece did that.
29.11.2011 - 11:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I might like this. Why not give it a try? Kinda curious.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.11.2011 - 17:41
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by BloodTears on 29.11.2011 at 11:29

Here as well, my somewhat extreme metal cravings often come in the same time as my prog cravings, why not try to find something that merges them?
----
7.0 means the album is good
30.11.2011 - 17:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Milena on 30.11.2011 at 17:41

Written by BloodTears on 29.11.2011 at 11:29

Here as well, my somewhat extreme metal cravings often come in the same time as my prog cravings, why not try to find something that merges them?

Curiosity is very powerful. So, might as well give in
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.12.2011 - 06:35
Slinky666
Account deleted
This album is
01.12.2011 - 06:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This album needs to take a nap?
----
01.12.2011 - 08:42
bluegreengod
Account deleted
I really like the cover art. Good album.
02.12.2011 - 11:27
Mikyz

This is very good progressive metal. It's right there along with Cormorant's Dwellings and Leprous' Bilateral in terms of quality progressive metal.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
10.01.2015 - 22:44
abyssopelagic1

If anyone is interested, the band just released a new lyric video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMv3nFVEyyY

Hits total: 6807 | This month: 9