Metal Storm logo
Pagan's Mind

13.10.2006 - 14:27
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I realised there was no Pagan's Mind topic, and a band so immense and brilliant as Pagan's Mind deserves one. They're a band that I feel have gotten better with time, their latest album Enigmatic: Calling to be really breathtaking, and Celestrial Entrance to be brilliant as well. Firmly in my top 10 bands, a great norwegian prog band.
13.10.2006 - 14:46
Daru Jericho

They're pretty good, bring a new element into the prog power movement, leaning slightly towards the prog side moreso than the power. I've seen them live too. Their vocalist Nils has a really strong voice but at times I think his vibratto is too forced sounding.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

13.10.2006 - 15:27
Vidrageon
Account deleted
He has a brilliant voice, I really like Communic too, but I find pagan's mind just a step better.
15.10.2006 - 04:34
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I was going to eventually add a thread on these guys,but someone had beaten me to it haha.Oh well that aside these guys are great,Celestial Entrance is quite brilliant.All in all I'd have to say my favorite song is Dreamscape Lucidity,catchy and very well done.
15.10.2006 - 06:13
Southern Wind
Account deleted
"Celestial Entrance" is an awesome album, used to be among my favourite ones when I was into prog metal... this band sounds fresh, inspired, blissful... everything I would like from Evergrey to be a good band. I hadn't listened to Pagan's Mind in ages, though.
16.10.2006 - 00:35
Dam3k

Ohhh nice band!! I usually don't like prog power fusions and so, but this band I think it's the execption I really enjoy a lot some of their songs
----

16.10.2006 - 14:21
PyRaMaZe
Account deleted
I love Pagan's Mind! I listen to their albums a lot,
16.10.2006 - 16:15
SteTech

Good band. Saw them when they co-headlined with Power Quest back in March, great stuff
21.11.2006 - 13:59
pajo
Account deleted
I just love their sound.
I checked the gear and guitarist is using Music man + Peavey 5150II = lethal combination
12.12.2006 - 18:34
Vidrageon
Account deleted
They fucking cancelled their gigs in Sweden, I'm so bitterly dissapointed atm
13.12.2006 - 11:32
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I loved the first album Celestial Entrance alot. I think their latest release was a little weak though compared. A great bad all in all though who show potential for a big band.
13.12.2006 - 15:25
Obscure

Ahh, fine music, yes. One bonus is also, that their albums have a theme, which I like! Besides the artwork rawks.
The vocalist also has a unique and powerful sound, and it makes a nice addition to the unique kinda music also. Me likey, me likey much!
16.12.2006 - 01:13
Nathan Lurker

I never quite understood why people loved them. I bought their firt album, Celestial Entrance, just for the sticker on top saying Power Prog ( yeah I was a compulsive buyer in need of prog) along with The first Adagio album. I was SO disappointed in both CDs, I found it to be a rather standard prog with a good singer that doesn't really have any melodies or rythm that stands out. I tought it sounded just like a local band.

The artwork for the album seems a bit blurry, that must be because of less good printing quality.

Anyway, They actually helped me in losing faith in the prog metal genre.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
17.12.2006 - 13:47
Vidrageon
Account deleted
You obviously didn't listen to them well enough - they have a unique and breath-taking sound...their first album is Infinity Divine by the way, and is far from as good as Celestrial Entrance and Enigmatic : Calling. What you should do is put it on, get out the pamphlet with the lyrics if you will, sink back and let the music put you in a feverish trance. You don't even need the lyrics if you will.

Adagio I don't listen to and can't comment.
18.12.2006 - 08:28
Nathan Lurker

It is right that I didn't listen to them well. In fact, I listened to it about... like 5-6 time. I exchanged the CD so I can't listen to it again. I know some prog stuff needs a few listen before getting tamed, it did just that when I got into Pain of Salvation, but the lyrics of Pagan's Mind didn't talk of the stuff that interested me, nor did the music brought a little something to make me look further into them, as opposed to POS.

But I shall try to find a mp3 to get a taste of what they have to offer now that I've matured my musical taste.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
05.01.2007 - 02:49
ChromeStylus
Account deleted
Written by Nathan Lurker on 18.12.2006 at 08:28

It is right that I didn't listen to them well. In fact, I listened to it about... like 5-6 time. I exchanged the CD so I can't listen to it again. I know some prog stuff needs a few listen before getting tamed, it did just that when I got into Pain of Salvation, but the lyrics of Pagan's Mind didn't talk of the stuff that interested me, nor did the music brought a little something to make me look further into them, as opposed to POS.

But I shall try to find a mp3 to get a taste of what they have to offer now that I've matured my musical taste.

i agree, i bought enigmatic: calling on the reference of a friend, but it took me 2 months of carrying it around in my cd case before i actually got around to really listen to it, but once i got a feel for it, turns out its an amazing album, love this band
05.01.2007 - 08:57
Stuff1056
Account deleted
I'm a fan. They've always reminded me of Dream Theater in a way.
05.01.2007 - 17:20
tommycheesus

I got Celestial Entrance a few months ago, and I love it. The "Back to the Magic of Childhood" instrumentals are amazing. Especially, part II. When I heard it, my reaction was "Fuck yes! THAT is how you do an instrumental!"
05.01.2007 - 19:14
Hellish Star

Nils K. Rue did a fantastic job with Eidolon. Did you guys hear him sin the Mercyful Fate cover "the oath"? Superb!!!!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
07.01.2007 - 19:46
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Opps, yes i forgot about that one, i havent heard it yet. So it compares with Celestial Entrance then?
10.01.2007 - 19:53
Samhain
Account deleted
Pagan's Mind is great...i probably listen to Celestial Entrance once a week (and i've had the album since it came out) other two albums aren't quite as good but great in their own way
14.07.2007 - 23:11
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Hellish Star on 05.01.2007 at 19:14

Nils K. Rue did a fantastic job with Eidolon. Did you guys hear him sin the Mercyful Fate cover "the oath"? Superb!!!!

Eidolon is an excellent band! Nils K. Rue wasn't the only one who did an excellent job on "The Oath"!!! It was a fantastic cover!! Did you hear their cover of "Silent Cries"? Amazing band who I plan to get way more into in the near future!!
26.07.2007 - 16:04
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Hellish Start - never heard that cover - BUT LOOKING FORWARD!!

Anyway, I heard five songs from Pagan's Mind, and it sounded quite ok, very interesting music, a little bit different that I was expected. Looking forward to buy some full length or something
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.12.2007 - 18:35
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
Pagan's Mind is one of the most amazing metal bands nowadays. I hope they can come to play in Colombia. Rock al Parque would be excellent for them because they have a great sound for that kind of festival. They have a different sound: powerful but elegant, moshing but quiet... Pagan's Mind rules!!!!!!
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
04.12.2007 - 00:57
b0000mst1ck

i used to listen to prog metal here and there until i found out about these guys. once i heard celestial entrance it was like i was pushed over into the "prog pool". that's just about all i've been listening to since, except for a little mdm or gothenburg once in a while.

but everyone kept mentioning that celestial entrance was pagan's mind's first release, but that's their second album. "infinity divine" was their first (released on 2001, remastered and re-released in 2004). great cd, too. it's a lot more edgy than their other releases, but i still ilke enigmatic: calling the most.

and eidolon is also an excellent band. the guitar riffs can be a little boring or generic at times, but nils voice balances that out.
05.12.2007 - 12:54
Philaenas
Account deleted
I mostly listen to their album "Celestial Entrance". Especially the instrumental "Back to the magic of childhood" is mindblowing in its awesomeness imho. I have this with a lot of bands, that I only listen to one album that I like the most (except for a few bands). Knowing that I only listen to Celestial Entrance, would any other album be highly recommended?
05.12.2007 - 12:59
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Yeah it seems like Celestial Entrance is a standard must-have, but still don't know which album to get next, Enigmatic: Calling or God's Equation.
06.12.2007 - 04:28
b0000mst1ck

Written by Introspekrieg on 05.12.2007 at 12:59

Yeah it seems like Celestial Entrance is a standard must-have, but still don't know which album to get next, Enigmatic: Calling or God's Equation.

i'd suggest enigmatic: calling long before god's equation.
07.12.2007 - 02:52
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by b0000mst1ck on 06.12.2007 at 04:28

In that case my hopes are dropped for Gods Equation. Enigmatic: Calling was a weak album compared to Celestial Entrance, performance was fine, just lack of decent and original songs.
08.12.2007 - 22:22
b0000mst1ck

Written by Dark Cornatus on 07.12.2007 at 02:52

Written by b0000mst1ck on 06.12.2007 at 04:28

In that case my hopes are dropped for Gods Equation. Enigmatic: Calling was a weak album compared to Celestial Entrance, performance was fine, just lack of decent and original songs.

i'm not saying god's equation is a bad album, it just isn't what i expected as a pagan's fan. like most people have said, it's just a different sound for them. if i were you i'd at least download it and give it a try. who knows, you may like it.