Metal Storm logo
Deathspell Omega

18.05.2006 - 11:39
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
A band truly leading the way in modern black metal with the godlike masterpiece that is 'Kenose', these have become a personal fave of mine.

Shrouded in mystery, they used to play a more typical (but very good) raw sounding black metal but 'Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice' saw the progression on to a more modern, intelligent form. They are perhaps most famous for their lyrical content which is concerned with satanism on a metaphysical level. You have to see and hear the lyrics for yourself to gauge why they're so phenominal.

Probably my fave black metal band really.
18.05.2006 - 12:17
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
An awesome band they are, Deathspell Omega. SMRC is one unbelievable album and then they released Kenose, which was an apt successor to the wonderful album. Very deep and eloquent lyrics, which are highly Satanic in nature make the atmosphere all the more mysterious and hence better. Mikko Aspa has very unique vocals in Black Metal which would be more in place in Death Metal, but IMO they suit DSO perfectly. Amongst the older albums, I really like Inquisitors Of Satan, and Infernal Battles was just about average. I think another album is due soon, and I'm eagerly awaiting it.

@Velvet: Have you heard the Crushing The Holy Trinity split? I'd like to know whether DSO's contribution to that is comparable to Kenose.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
18.05.2006 - 13:01
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Yes I did have it on MP3 but I lost my whole hard drive. It's only one song I need to reclaim. I recall it being very good indeed, the production I don't think was quite as crisp as Kenose, sounds more like SMRC but it's certainly worth tracking down
18.05.2006 - 14:28
Highlander
Account deleted
I think their an amazing band! Inquisitors Of Satan is a great raw album, SMRC just blows the other two albums away. I've still to hear Crushing The Holy Trinity and From The entrails To The Dirt.
18.05.2006 - 17:37
Damnated
Churchburner
Again, I say it, that France is the savior of BM. With bands like Deathspell Omega, we have nothing to fear. My fav album from this band would be Infernal Battles, the first I heard from them.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.05.2006 - 17:44
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Really? I found that album kind of abbrasive and very hard to listen to. Isn't it a compilation of demos anyway?

'Inquisitors of Satan' is my fave of their raw albums.
18.05.2006 - 17:51
Damnated
Churchburner
I listened Inquitors Of Satan only once, and it didn't impressed me very much, but I'm going to give them another listen now.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.05.2006 - 17:57
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Hmm... 'tis a very likeable album, even for a raw one. The riffs are very catchy and all that.
18.05.2006 - 18:05
Ace
Account deleted
Inquisitors of Satan is by far they're best. o_o Shaxul was such an awesome vocalist.

Of course, I also like the newer releases like SMRC or Kénôse, but their second album is still unmatched for me. Infernal Battles had some really good songs too. Anyways to me, they brought standart raw black metal to it's perfection. I don't know any band that puts off the "normal" kind of black metal that well..
19.05.2006 - 04:09
Alfonso

Kénôse saved black metal for me. Probably the most intelligent/lyrically articulate extreme music project I can think of. The packaging of the album is quite beautiful as well.
----
19.05.2006 - 06:56
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Deathspell Omega means little for me... I recognize their originality, bliss and "inteligence" but just can't stand them. I don't know why... I prefer the old-school that's all.
19.05.2006 - 13:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Like Velvet I prefer Deathspell Omega's newer period more than their old raw stuff.
So I think they are quite a brilliant band from SMR,C till now. I still have to try and get my mits on FromThe Entrail To The Dirt (part III) for that is the only one I haven't got in original form (and also not on MP3)
Someone asked if Deathspell Omega's part of Crushing The Holy Trinity can be compared to Kenose... I would say YES it is in the same vein same crisp production same sort of songwriting. BTW, Diabolus Absconditus (the DSO song on the Father disc of Crushing the Holy Trinity) is a great start to that brilliant 3cd sampler by Northern Heritage. I got the original 3cd version with extensive artwork of Crushing the Holy Trinity about three months ago and am of the opinion that the Holy Spirit disc (featuring Mgla and Exordium) is the best and then the Father disc (featuring Deathspell Omega and Stabat Mater) and only then the Son disc (featuring Musta Surma and Clandestine Blaze)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2006 - 13:16
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
I found 'Crushing The Holy Trinity' very vocally prolific, just seemed higher in the mix than all other DSO stuff, I don't really like it when black metal has high mixed vocals as I generally prefer to hear it as part of the music rather than a seperate entity.

Still rocks my socks though.
20.05.2006 - 04:58
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
Kenose was a fanstastic album but i too prefer their older releases.
20.05.2006 - 14:39
Yova

Ok. Another french BM band and, again, an great one.
One of the best I can think nowadays. 'Si monvmentvm...' is and amazing album but their EP 'Kénôse' is a masterpiece, it's my favourite.
----
...if there was a single day I could live...
...a single breath I could take...
...I'll trade all the others away...
20.05.2006 - 14:45
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Does anyone know if 'Kenose' is the second part in the proposed trilogy, or is it just an appendage to 'Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice'. I think I read it was just an appendage..

I do prefer 'Kenose' to 'SMRC', mainly because 'SMRC' is absurdly long and taxing, not bad, just not exactly easy listening. I don't think I've ever made it through it all in one sitting. 'Kenose' for me, basically took everything that was amazing about 'SMRC' and filtered it into one of the most beautiful half hours ever ^_^

I can't wait for the next full length.
20.05.2006 - 14:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Kenose is an appendage to SMR, C, I don't think that the second part to the supposed trilogy has been released yet.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.05.2006 - 14:58
Damnated
Churchburner
Acording to M-A, it's not.
----

20.05.2006 - 15:35
Anton Alcolust

@\/ELVET (O) i see you know a lot of french underground bm band i got the split with Mutiilation , Malicious Secret , Antaeus and Deathspell Omega who play a song of 19:41 min !
----
A.M.S.G.
07.06.2006 - 11:43
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"'Kenose' for me, basically took everything that was amazing about 'SMRC' and filtered it into one of the most beautiful half hours ever ^_^"

Took the words right out of my mouth
08.06.2006 - 03:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I heard them for the first time today because a co-worker sent me their link and I must say that I was surprised. These guys are probably one of the best black metal bands around today.

I agree with Damnated. France is saving metal. There are so many great bands coming from there its exciting.
08.06.2006 - 09:28
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
They seem to be the one country thats helping black metal evolve. Scandivavia just needs a little push to get free of their roots which they are clinging to.
09.06.2006 - 06:16
mvikred

ive heard their EP Kenose only , but it totally blew me off .. epic songs with evil lyrics ... they build an atmosphere so dark, that even a christ worshipper would start worshipping satan .... even though wat i said might not be true ... i truely believe that they are an amazing band and have a lot more to give to all of their fans

mvikred
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
09.06.2006 - 16:33
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"they build an atmosphere so dark, that even a christ worshipper would start worshipping satan .... even though wat i said might not be true"

Yes, not true.
09.06.2006 - 17:59
mvikred

^^^ .. i know man it aint true .. jus adds to the feel they produce .... thts all, its said metaphorically and not literally
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
09.06.2006 - 18:56
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 08.06.2006 at 09:28

Scandivavia just needs a little push to get free of their roots which they are clinging to.

Interesting opinion ; I really see Scandinavia as a dying old man when it comes to BM, who needs only a helping hand to finally die.
----

10.06.2006 - 02:52
AntaeusM
Elite
Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice is a good album, I quite enjoy that album. Though, the other albums failed to impress me. Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice is a bit repetitive sometimes and it is a typical "mood" album, but it isn't bad. Their other albums just didn't catch my attention.
10.06.2006 - 07:14
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"Interesting opinion ; I really see Scandinavia as a dying old man when it comes to BM, who needs only a helping hand to finally die. "

Id definately say it will die down if it doesnt change. There is only so much "true" black metal before it all becomes "poser" from Scandinavia.
10.06.2006 - 19:46
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 10.06.2006 at 07:14

Id definately say it will die down if it doesnt change. There is only so much "true" black metal before it all becomes "poser" from Scandinavia.

I agree. It is very hard nowadays, to make something original, something outstanding, that wont ware the mark of some earlier, great bands. This is why Scandinavia should get out from the BM scene, cuz they simply can not make something new and original, they just have to wait and re-invent themself. IMO after a ten year break, they will bring something extraordinary.
----

10.06.2006 - 21:07
Ace
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 10.06.2006 at 19:46

Written by Guest on 10.06.2006 at 07:14

I agree. It is very hard nowadays, to make something original, something outstanding, that wont ware the mark of some earlier, great bands. This is why Scandinavia should get out from the BM scene, cuz they simply can not make something new and original, they just have to wait and re-invent themself. IMO after a ten year break, they will bring something extraordinary.

Oh yeah, like it would depend on the country... ::